Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Dungeon Checkpoints in Wizard101

AuthorMessage
Champion
Jun 13, 2011
486
I believe that with the longer dungeons upon us in Wizard101, there should be Dungeon Checkpoints made in future, longer dungeons. And, honestly, who would be tired in trying to clear a very long dungeon in only one day?

Dungeon Checkpoints saves the progress of any Wizard, group or solo, passes through one, but instead of 30 minutes upon usual Dungeon entry, the saved dungeon progress can last up to 24 or 48 hours. If one is passed through, the extension time of saving a Dungeon's progress will take effect, leaving Wizards more than enough time to take a break and come back to finish the Dungeon later. If another Checkpoint, or more, are passed through, Wizards will be transported back to where they last passed it after they've been defeated in duels, and the extended progress reset time will start again.

Face it, Wizard101 needs Dungeon Checkpoints, and I'm sure many Wizards would want that to happen in the game. Think about this. It will save many Wizards too much strain and ache of trying to finish a very long dungeon in one day.

Thanks for listening!

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
4956
Trimond297 on Aug 16, 2013 wrote:
I believe that with the longer dungeons upon us in Wizard101, there should be Dungeon Checkpoints made in future, longer dungeons. And, honestly, who would be tired in trying to clear a very long dungeon in only one day?

Dungeon Checkpoints saves the progress of any Wizard, group or solo, passes through one, but instead of 30 minutes upon usual Dungeon entry, the saved dungeon progress can last up to 24 or 48 hours. If one is passed through, the extension time of saving a Dungeon's progress will take effect, leaving Wizards more than enough time to take a break and come back to finish the Dungeon later. If another Checkpoint, or more, are passed through, Wizards will be transported back to where they last passed it after they've been defeated in duels, and the extended progress reset time will start again.

Face it, Wizard101 needs Dungeon Checkpoints, and I'm sure many Wizards would want that to happen in the game. Think about this. It will save many Wizards too much strain and ache of trying to finish a very long dungeon in one day.

Thanks for listening!
I think this is a great idea! And even better for those of us that have to solo those dungeons (beginning with The Trial of Spheres in Celestia)!

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
1077
I would also like to see this idea be developed. It's troublesome when a dungeon battle goes sour and your team gets scattered to the four corners of the spiral rather than automatically regrouping at a checkpoint.

Explorer
Oct 06, 2010
59
Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! And Yes again! I dont get alot of time on W101 a day, so this would be totally helpful! Yes!

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
929
RavenLady777 on Aug 17, 2013 wrote:
I think this is a great idea! And even better for those of us that have to solo those dungeons (beginning with The Trial of Spheres in Celestia)!
hehe I was just thinking of the same dungeon when I read this, I got called to help a friend with "a boss" at about 11:30 pm and we didn't get out of there until sunrise.

Champion
Jul 09, 2010
485
Trimond297 on Aug 16, 2013 wrote:
I believe that with the longer dungeons upon us in Wizard101, there should be Dungeon Checkpoints made in future, longer dungeons. And, honestly, who would be tired in trying to clear a very long dungeon in only one day?

Dungeon Checkpoints saves the progress of any Wizard, group or solo, passes through one, but instead of 30 minutes upon usual Dungeon entry, the saved dungeon progress can last up to 24 or 48 hours. If one is passed through, the extension time of saving a Dungeon's progress will take effect, leaving Wizards more than enough time to take a break and come back to finish the Dungeon later. If another Checkpoint, or more, are passed through, Wizards will be transported back to where they last passed it after they've been defeated in duels, and the extended progress reset time will start again.

Face it, Wizard101 needs Dungeon Checkpoints, and I'm sure many Wizards would want that to happen in the game. Think about this. It will save many Wizards too much strain and ache of trying to finish a very long dungeon in one day.

Thanks for listening!
This is a great idea :D I can't tell you how many times during my first characters times in WW farming for the good gear I lost connection and had to start over. Also, there were lots of interruptions at home. If this system had been in place my progress would have saved and I could have continued on.

Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
19
Absolutely brilliant. Atlantea took me about five or four hours to complete even though I only had two people helping me. Dungeon checkpoints could slice up this time into fragments easily. This would be amazingly beneficial for the younger players of Wizard101, who are often stuck in time crunches. It would be great for everyone, especially those going into dungeons they have never been through before. I agree that taking on a dungeon such as Atlantea (And if Atlantea is long, I can only imagine how treacherous Tartarus is. ) is very time consuming and may take up the entirety of the time you play. Check points could certainly fix that problem up.

And maybe now it would be a bit easier to solo things with. Not promising anything, but wizards may have the power to retrieve mana and health, take breaks from the dungeon and consider strategies, or just wait for a friend to get online and help out.

I would love to see this idea's development. For those who have limited time on Wizard101 or limited internet access, this would be perfect for them.
~ Courtney I. Transcendent

Survivor
Jul 29, 2009
13
i dont like it much. it is only good if you are going solo, and in my opinion its useless once you get to a higher lvl.
the dungeons get exponentially harder with cheating bosses. for that you almost certainly need a group. i know they h ave been soloed, but that's not possible with everyone. only some can solo it. so you would need a group for practically every dungeon. dungeon save points are only good if you solo it, because a group would make it hard to get together for the dungeon. the more people there are, the harder it will be to find a time that fits everyone.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
4956
crunkatog on Aug 19, 2013 wrote:
hehe I was just thinking of the same dungeon when I read this, I got called to help a friend with "a boss" at about 11:30 pm and we didn't get out of there until sunrise.
oh my gosh...I thought it was just me. that thing took me over 6 hours to finish!
I'm glad I'm not alone.

Explorer
Mar 17, 2012
66
Lol sometimes my dungeons glitch and I am able to get by not having to refight enemies but only when I die.

Mastermind
Dec 17, 2010
362
Basilisk Commander on Aug 21, 2013 wrote:
i dont like it much. it is only good if you are going solo, and in my opinion its useless once you get to a higher lvl.
the dungeons get exponentially harder with cheating bosses. for that you almost certainly need a group. i know they h ave been soloed, but that's not possible with everyone. only some can solo it. so you would need a group for practically every dungeon. dungeon save points are only good if you solo it, because a group would make it hard to get together for the dungeon. the more people there are, the harder it will be to find a time that fits everyone.
I have to agree with Basilisk Commander. Dungeons are dungeons for a reason: To challenge wizards. If there were Dungeon checkpoints, why not have it a normal street or area? Witch dungeon check points, it would cause less stress, but it would be less rewarding. Lets say a wizard completed waterworks for the first time, "Yay, After all that time I finally finished! I'm so Happy! :D" but if you finish a dungeon with dungeon check points "Well, time to move on to the next quest. :P" You get the point. I can't see this idea being developed. Sorry, but no.

-Nicholas Hawkspear level 90

Delver
Dec 18, 2009
201
This is a great idea. Somehow, I have to leave before I fight the last boss and I hate that I have to start all over again. I wish these were made

Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
19
Nicholas Hawkspear on Aug 22, 2013 wrote:
I have to agree with Basilisk Commander. Dungeons are dungeons for a reason: To challenge wizards. If there were Dungeon checkpoints, why not have it a normal street or area? Witch dungeon check points, it would cause less stress, but it would be less rewarding. Lets say a wizard completed waterworks for the first time, "Yay, After all that time I finally finished! I'm so Happy! :D" but if you finish a dungeon with dungeon check points "Well, time to move on to the next quest. :P" You get the point. I can't see this idea being developed. Sorry, but no.

-Nicholas Hawkspear level 90
You make a very stabbing point. Yes, I agree that Dungeons are supposed to be challenges, but I don't agree that it is quite fair for some of the players who are constantly in time crunches. For example, sometimes a dungeon can take up to six hours to complete with even three people helping out. A lot of people would have to flee because of either lunch, breakfast, dinner, occasions, or just limited internet. Now with school starting, there's going to be even more people who will be stuck in these little time crunches.

I would never react like that. In fact, I would still be thrilled. Checkpoints offer a break, and not a strict 'stay in here or you lose all of your progress' sort of thing. In Wintertusk, for the final dungeon, I went in with one friend. It was boring and absolutely nerve-wracking-ly tedious. It was two against four for every fight, and I got bored very quickly. I think the checkpoint offers an amount of time to get refreshed. It's like a sports game. Every game has a few breaks in-between, yes? Without those breaks players would be exhausted.

I don't see how it would be less rewarding, really, I don't. I think that because it uplifts the stress it would be just fine. I would rather do half of a dungeon one day and do the other half the next, in fact. Yes, because I am that lazy. Thanks for reading!
~ Courtney I. Transcendent

Mastermind
Dec 17, 2010
362
Twilight Angel on Aug 22, 2013 wrote:
You make a very stabbing point. Yes, I agree that Dungeons are supposed to be challenges, but I don't agree that it is quite fair for some of the players who are constantly in time crunches. For example, sometimes a dungeon can take up to six hours to complete with even three people helping out. A lot of people would have to flee because of either lunch, breakfast, dinner, occasions, or just limited internet. Now with school starting, there's going to be even more people who will be stuck in these little time crunches.

I would never react like that. In fact, I would still be thrilled. Checkpoints offer a break, and not a strict 'stay in here or you lose all of your progress' sort of thing. In Wintertusk, for the final dungeon, I went in with one friend. It was boring and absolutely nerve-wracking-ly tedious. It was two against four for every fight, and I got bored very quickly. I think the checkpoint offers an amount of time to get refreshed. It's like a sports game. Every game has a few breaks in-between, yes? Without those breaks players would be exhausted.

I don't see how it would be less rewarding, really, I don't. I think that because it uplifts the stress it would be just fine. I would rather do half of a dungeon one day and do the other half the next, in fact. Yes, because I am that lazy. Thanks for reading!
~ Courtney I. Transcendent
The only dungeon that could take 6 hours would be Water Works. All the other dungeons only take about 30-90 minutes. As I said before, if you could just randomly stop during a dungeon, why not make it a normal street. It would be less rewarding because 'all that hard work payed off!' comes in. If you could stop, it would not be hard work. Like I also said before, dungeons must be a challenge! No, not a 'ok, after I defeat this boss, it will be enough wizard101 for today' challenge, a 'I have to do this or I'll be stuck forever' challenge. Also, if a Wizard knows they will have to get off soon, why would he/she even go in the dungeon. In my opinion, dungeons are good for Saturday or Sunday. And because you don't get a new dungeon every day, I don't see how having to go to school would be a problem. (Why would you even play wizard101 that early in the morning?) Another problem you said was people have to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The average human eats Breakfast around 8:30, or not at all. They eat lunch around 12:00, and Dinner about 5:00 or 5:30. That gives you about 3 hours and a half between Breakfast and Lunch, and about 5 hours between Lunch and Dinner. During school, you get out of class from 2:00- 3:00. About 2 or 3 hours away from Dinner. You also have lots of time from Dinner till Bed time (If you have one) Usually people go to bed around 10 or 10:30, so that's about 5 hours. The Dungeons I would not recommend doing on school days are: 1. Ghost Avalon 2. Celestin sanctum (Final dungeon in CL) 3. Crimson Fields 4. The Grand Spyre 5. Mirror Lake 6. Any Aquila Dungeon 7. Waterworks.

If you can't wait till Saturday or Sunday, I might suggest doing some side quests to help you level up, becoming more powerful, making the dungeon your going to do, go slightly faster. Lets not forget, You can leave a dungeon for a max of 30 minutes, more than enough time to socialize and take a break, maybe decorate your house even?

The only wizards I could see soloing are wizards, cause with them, battles are quickly over, one way or another. Most people go in a group, and so far I've always gone in a group, and never thought it took to long. Yes, waiting and asking people to help you with a dungeon takes long, (and for some people embarrassing) but it's worth the wait. The fun thing about wizard101 is its challenges, mainly though dungeons. KI has gone on a short of making dungeons, and I think that's why some people are saying "This game is lousing it's fun" or stuff like that. This could be a good Idea for the lower level dungeons like Sunken city or the Krokotopia dungeons, but not for the entire Spiral.

-Nicholas Hawkspear level 90

Survivor
Aug 22, 2009
22
One word-
Brilliant!!!!
Jazzy ThunderStaff lvl 90
"When the dueling gets hot, summon a fire shield."

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
403
When I was half way through tartarus you couldn't of been more bored than me. Though one problem is, what about my teammates? I barely ever solo big dungeons, unless there is only one boss.

Champion
Jun 13, 2011
486
Nicholas Hawkspear on Aug 22, 2013 wrote:
I have to agree with Basilisk Commander. Dungeons are dungeons for a reason: To challenge wizards. If there were Dungeon checkpoints, why not have it a normal street or area? Witch dungeon check points, it would cause less stress, but it would be less rewarding. Lets say a wizard completed waterworks for the first time, "Yay, After all that time I finally finished! I'm so Happy! :D" but if you finish a dungeon with dungeon check points "Well, time to move on to the next quest. :P" You get the point. I can't see this idea being developed. Sorry, but no.

-Nicholas Hawkspear level 90
Listen, if Kingsisle made a longer Dungeon or Gauntlet that could take 9 hours to complete without checkpoints, solo or group, would you be tired trying to clear it on one day if you were to go in it solo or with a group? I would. I would have spent almost all day on that and suffered through much strain and ache to the eyes and head trying to beat it. I say, Dungeon Checkpoints should happen, because Kingsisle may make longer Dungeons than any seen in the game. And, let me point out, for the record, it should not affect the rewards upon completing the Dungeon with Checkpoints, so that would be fairly rewarding. Anyone else thinks so and agrees with it?

Checkpoints on streets? Sorry, but that's just not happening. That would simply break the concept of Dungeon Checkpoints. Plus, there's already teleports planted in some worlds.

Mastermind
Dec 17, 2010
362
Trimond297 on Aug 23, 2013 wrote:
Listen, if Kingsisle made a longer Dungeon or Gauntlet that could take 9 hours to complete without checkpoints, solo or group, would you be tired trying to clear it on one day if you were to go in it solo or with a group? I would. I would have spent almost all day on that and suffered through much strain and ache to the eyes and head trying to beat it. I say, Dungeon Checkpoints should happen, because Kingsisle may make longer Dungeons than any seen in the game. And, let me point out, for the record, it should not affect the rewards upon completing the Dungeon with Checkpoints, so that would be fairly rewarding. Anyone else thinks so and agrees with it?

Checkpoints on streets? Sorry, but that's just not happening. That would simply break the concept of Dungeon Checkpoints. Plus, there's already teleports planted in some worlds.
First off, I never said Checkpoints on streets. What I said was, if your going to have checkpoints in dungeons, what is the point of even having it a dungeon? If you can randomly stop and take a break, it would be just like a normal street, losing the meaning of having it a dungeon. Also, Kingsisle would never make a 9 hour dungeon, that's just plain crazy thinking. Even if they did make a dungeon that long, no body in the right mind would even attempt to do a dungeon that long solo. And still, nobody under stands what I mean by "Less Rewarding" not less rewarding in XP or gold, but less rewarding Mentally. While if you could just take random brakes, you would not be proud of your self for finish a hard dungeon, non stop.

If your not good enough to play the game without taking beaks, why play the game at all? This game offers a challenge to players, not a walk in the park. Id you can't handle the game the way it is, I suggest you try being a level higher than the average level other wizards are questing on. I hope you finally under stand that this idea just won't work, and I know it's sad when other wizards don't like your own idea, but life isn't fair.

-Nicholas Hawkspear level 90

Explorer
Nov 21, 2009
61
Trimond297 on Aug 16, 2013 wrote:
I believe that with the longer dungeons upon us in Wizard101, there should be Dungeon Checkpoints made in future, longer dungeons. And, honestly, who would be tired in trying to clear a very long dungeon in only one day?

Dungeon Checkpoints saves the progress of any Wizard, group or solo, passes through one, but instead of 30 minutes upon usual Dungeon entry, the saved dungeon progress can last up to 24 or 48 hours. If one is passed through, the extension time of saving a Dungeon's progress will take effect, leaving Wizards more than enough time to take a break and come back to finish the Dungeon later. If another Checkpoint, or more, are passed through, Wizards will be transported back to where they last passed it after they've been defeated in duels, and the extended progress reset time will start again.

Face it, Wizard101 needs Dungeon Checkpoints, and I'm sure many Wizards would want that to happen in the game. Think about this. It will save many Wizards too much strain and ache of trying to finish a very long dungeon in one day.

Thanks for listening!
Yeah this would be great especially since this game seems to be geared towards little kids, which as we all know are controlled by their parents, school and bedtime, however make it so that no one can just port to a friend who is on the last fight and they still get full credit.

Champion
Jun 13, 2011
486
Nicholas Hawkspear on Aug 23, 2013 wrote:
First off, I never said Checkpoints on streets. What I said was, if your going to have checkpoints in dungeons, what is the point of even having it a dungeon? If you can randomly stop and take a break, it would be just like a normal street, losing the meaning of having it a dungeon. Also, Kingsisle would never make a 9 hour dungeon, that's just plain crazy thinking. Even if they did make a dungeon that long, no body in the right mind would even attempt to do a dungeon that long solo. And still, nobody under stands what I mean by "Less Rewarding" not less rewarding in XP or gold, but less rewarding Mentally. While if you could just take random brakes, you would not be proud of your self for finish a hard dungeon, non stop.

If your not good enough to play the game without taking beaks, why play the game at all? This game offers a challenge to players, not a walk in the park. Id you can't handle the game the way it is, I suggest you try being a level higher than the average level other wizards are questing on. I hope you finally under stand that this idea just won't work, and I know it's sad when other wizards don't like your own idea, but life isn't fair.

-Nicholas Hawkspear level 90
I'm sorry. I do enjoy the game. It's just that I was saying that if Kingsisle does make more longer Dungeons in the game, then there should be checkpoints in those longer dungeons, so Wizards will have plenty of time to take breaks and come back to finish. I get the less mentally rewarding bit, mind you, but who would try to clear a very long dungeon in one day without checkpoints, while withstanding some strain and ache to their eyes and heads? Plenty of Wizards who do try to do just that. At least there are other Wizards who agrees to that idea, so that's fine by me. Of course, there's no 9 hour dungeon in the game. Well... just not yet, anyway. It might be possible... one day. I was just theorizing. Either way, I'm sure the idea would be implemented by Kingsisle in the game, whether Wizards agree or not. Besides, longer dungeons than any dungeon holding the position for longest dungeon yet in the game may be inevitable one day, and checkpoints might be going with them, too. Remember that.

Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
19
Nicholas Hawkspear on Aug 22, 2013 wrote:
The only dungeon that could take 6 hours would be Water Works. All the other dungeons only take about 30-90 minutes. As I said before, if you could just randomly stop during a dungeon, why not make it a normal street. It would be less rewarding because 'all that hard work payed off!' comes in. If you could stop, it would not be hard work. Like I also said before, dungeons must be a challenge! No, not a 'ok, after I defeat this boss, it will be enough wizard101 for today' challenge, a 'I have to do this or I'll be stuck forever' challenge. Also, if a Wizard knows they will have to get off soon, why would he/she even go in the dungeon. In my opinion, dungeons are good for Saturday or Sunday. And because you don't get a new dungeon every day, I don't see how having to go to school would be a problem. (Why would you even play wizard101 that early in the morning?) Another problem you said was people have to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The average human eats Breakfast around 8:30, or not at all. They eat lunch around 12:00, and Dinner about 5:00 or 5:30. That gives you about 3 hours and a half between Breakfast and Lunch, and about 5 hours between Lunch and Dinner. During school, you get out of class from 2:00- 3:00. About 2 or 3 hours away from Dinner. You also have lots of time from Dinner till Bed time (If you have one) Usually people go to bed around 10 or 10:30, so that's about 5 hours. The Dungeons I would not recommend doing on school days are: 1. Ghost Avalon 2. Celestin sanctum (Final dungeon in CL) 3. Crimson Fields 4. The Grand Spyre 5. Mirror Lake 6. Any Aquila Dungeon 7. Waterworks.

If you can't wait till Saturday or Sunday, I might suggest doing some side quests to help you level up, becoming more powerful, making the dungeon your going to do, go slightly faster. Lets not forget, You can leave a dungeon for a max of 30 minutes, more than enough time to socialize and take a break, maybe decorate your house even?

The only wizards I could see soloing are wizards, cause with them, battles are quickly over, one way or another. Most people go in a group, and so far I've always gone in a group, and never thought it took to long. Yes, waiting and asking people to help you with a dungeon takes long, (and for some people embarrassing) but it's worth the wait. The fun thing about wizard101 is its challenges, mainly though dungeons. KI has gone on a short of making dungeons, and I think that's why some people are saying "This game is lousing it's fun" or stuff like that. This could be a good Idea for the lower level dungeons like Sunken city or the Krokotopia dungeons, but not for the entire Spiral.

-Nicholas Hawkspear level 90
I doubt that, since it depends on how many people you go into a dungeon with and their amount of skill. (Although I cannot imagine many who would enter dungeons like the Waterworks alone. ) Atlantea certainly took me over four hours, I promise you. I started well before dinner time, had to play during it, and ended it around ten o'clock. Well, everyone has a different opinion. In mine, I don't think Wizard101 should be a game where the entire challenge is about finishing something in time. Don't people have home work? Even if people multi task, a lot of kid's parents probably wouldn't want them playing a game at the same time, whether it be a simple summary or an entire essay. What I meant was that for the children of the game, they may be stopped to finish some sort of meal or activity. Also, people have different schedules. They may have a time limit for bed time, and then you have after school activities as well. (Such as dance class, sports, clubs, etc.) I should have said there are also activities in between meals and school, apologies.

Not exactly. For the Waterworks, if you leave normally by exiting like one does to exit from anywhere normally, you are forced to start all over. The only way to still have the same data in the same dungeon when you return to it is fleeing and re-entering within 30 minutes. And since you have to flee, it's a little rude to abandon the dungeon even for such a short time when your other friends are in the middle of a fight. If you're a soloist when it comes to dungeons, though, ignore me.

Death is also quite the soloist school, although I am sure you know that yourself. My Death wizard has almost no friends online ever, and I got by nearly each world up to Celestia mainly solo just fine. Not all of the time the wait is worth it for me and my wizards, just saying. Sometimes I don't make friends with the person which is a big let down most of the time.

To be honest, now I think I agree with you more after reading your point. Although I don't fully agree with you, I think you have a very good argument with the subject. I think checkpoints would be a great add on, but you do make me think they wouldn't be as perfect for the game. Thanks for reading.
~ Courtney I. Transcendent

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
763
if there are these checkpoints nothing makes them different from the regular areas just no dungeons are a part of the game and i don't want them gone.

Defender
Dec 27, 2011
120
I agree this is a good idea. I was stuck on labyrinth for a month. Not very difficult but I don't have time 2 hours.
I guess Kensingon or Keslington Park. I think I am spelling it wrong. It should have 2 checkpoints. Sometime I just need a lunch break.

Antonio, Level 50 Grandmaster Pyromancer