Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Display Central US current time during updates

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 04, 2010
I am not from the US so when the game goes down for updates and will be back at "5am Central US Time" it is hard to figure out what time it will actually be back online.

I think it would be good if, during updates when the maintenence message is shown, it also has a live clock for central US. So then, you can see how long it will be before the game is back, and relate it to the time it is in your area.

Example:
Wizard101 will be offline until approximately 5:00am Central US Time.
Central US Time clock:
4:30am

You can then see the game will be back online in 30 minutes. In my area it is 9:30 am, so the game will be back at 10am.

Thanks for reading.

Scarlet SparkleDust 98

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Scarlet SparkleDus... on Jul 16, 2014 wrote:
I am not from the US so when the game goes down for updates and will be back at "5am Central US Time" it is hard to figure out what time it will actually be back online.

I think it would be good if, during updates when the maintenence message is shown, it also has a live clock for central US. So then, you can see how long it will be before the game is back, and relate it to the time it is in your area.

Example:
Central US Time clock:

You can then see the game will be back online in 30 minutes. In my area it is 9:30 am, so the game will be back at 10am.

Thanks for reading.

Scarlet SparkleDust 98
About 10 seconds on google will give you the time in their time zone. this additional isn't really necessary.

Defender
Mar 13, 2014
RavenLady777 on Jul 16, 2014 wrote:
About 10 seconds on google will give you the time in their time zone. this additional isn't really necessary.
Not necessary for who? Many W101 players are children who don't even know how to play in windowed mode so they can access a web browser while playing. Some can't use a search engine due to parental controls. And for those of us who have no such limitation, it's still a nuisance to have to switch windows.

In my opinion server time (Central time) should be displayed on the main game window at all times. In fact, Wizard101 and Pirate101 are the only MMOGs I have ever played that DON'T display a server time for player convenience. I don't see why KingsIsle can't conform to standard online gaming practice.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
RavenLady777 on Jul 16, 2014 wrote:
The edit she's suggesting is exceedingly easy to implement and boosts usability, in spite of KI's bafflingly arbitrary decision to go with US Central time to represent the standard for a worldwide game platform.

There are a lot of non-US Central players who face this issue, not just the OP, so I don't think the right answer is to point them all to Google. Just have the developers code in a clock, it's a reasonable, small, and effective request.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
It would be nice to have a clock IN the game, maybe in the Commons or Shopping District. Sometimes I want to help someone in the game, but don't know them personally, so I can't ask where they are or tell them where I am, and if it's a kid they may not understand time zones. A clock tower with "game time" would make it easier to plan meetings.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
It's not needed. The warnings come up regardless of where you are.
Server will be going down for maintenance in 2 hours.
Server will be going down for maintenance in 1 hour.
Server will be going down for maintenance in 45 minutes.
Server will be going down for maintenance in 30 minutes.
Server will be going down for maintenance in 25 minutes.
Server will be going down for maintenance in 20 minutes.
Server will be going down for maintenance in 15 minutes.
Server will be going down for maintenance in 10 minutes.
Server will be going down for maintenance in 5 minutes.
Server will be going down for maintenance in 4 minutes.
Server will be going down for maintenance in 3 minutes.
Server will be going down for maintenance in 2 minutes.
Server will be going down for maintenance in 1 minute.

If you miss all the spammed warnings a clock isn't going to help you.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
seethe42 on Jul 17, 2014 wrote:

Except that the OP is talking about when the game is coming back online, not going offline.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Lucas Rain on Jul 17, 2014 wrote:
Except that the OP is talking about when the game is coming back online, not going offline.
The game says the time it's going down and how long. How would an in game clock change anything? It says it's going to be down for 2-3 hours, 2-3 hours is 2-3 hours no matter where you are. If you aren't in the game, an ingame clock wouldn't change a thing. If you are in the game it wouldn't change a thing. I'm not opposed to having a clock, it just really isn't needed. You have a clock on your computer already, if you can't figure out what 2-3 hours from now is, an ingame clock really won't help you.

Survivor
Feb 04, 2010
seethe42 on Jul 17, 2014 wrote:

I meant when the game came back online, the in game warnings are fine if you are online before the game shuts off.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, hopefully it shouldn't be too hard to impliment

Defender
Feb 27, 2009
Scarlet SparkleDus... on Jul 16, 2014 wrote:

Example:
Central US Time clock:

Thanks for reading.

Scarlet SparkleDust 98
Well.....you did the math. I don't see why your complaining. People who live the Pacific are the ones who got it bad. What about people in Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom? They're the ones who have it even worse. Just saying that if you can do the math in a snap it shouldn't be all that bad.

Marcus Suncrafter, lvl 74

Survivor
Feb 04, 2010
wanted468 on Jul 18, 2014 wrote:
Well.....you did the math. I don't see why your complaining. People who live the Pacific are the ones who got it bad. What about people in Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom? They're the ones who have it even worse. Just saying that if you can do the math in a snap it shouldn't be all that bad.

Marcus Suncrafter, lvl 74
I am in the United Kingdom, lol.
I see your point, but some players are much younger and won't be able to figure out/remember the time difference. I just think it will make it much easier if it's there in front of you to make sure it is correct. The servers went off just now but I thought they should have gone off an hour ago... There's sometimes error when working it out.