Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Death to not go through absorbs

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jul 09, 2012
I found out just recently that death does not go through absorbs, and I was HIGHLY confused. I need to explain why death needs to go through absorbs.

Life is known for having absorbs (And sometimes ice), and the Hungry Caterpillar gives an absorb on it which is lifes most used spell in pvp and boss fights.

Life and Death are known as "Rivals" if you want to call it that, so they have things that can help themselves against the other school. Death has doom and gloom and infection on many spells and an infection card. Life only has heals (Which is useless while going against a death because they just get a heal back after an attack). Life has nothing against death besides a set shield.

Life needs deaths to not go through absorbs so that they don't get as much of that heal back as they should. They would use up damage on the absorb instead of the other players health so they don't get that much of a heal back. This is what a life needs! Death is hard to go up against especially as a life if they have infection and doom and gloom and can get major heals from attacking you. Life has to choose whether to heal, or attack and it is sometimes a hard choice.

I think that death not going through absorbs is very unfair because a lot of life spells give absorbs, and for that to not even help a life against their rival is just insane to me on how unfairly treated that is. The hungry caterpillar is basically useless against a death unless you want to do damage (The absorb is actually kinda useless anyways but that is a whole different story) and the weaver gives a universal -75% shield which is honestly very unfair, especially if they go first. That is also for another post.

What the main point is, that is WHY I thought absorbs were in the game for life wizards, so that death doesn't get much of a heal back. I have always thought that was why life gets absorbs, and I thought it was a very good idea. Then someone told me recently that they do not, and I tested it to find out that it was true. I can't believe my eyes. All of my time, I thought that. But now I just think absorbs are kinda useless and maybe the hungry caterpillar should just give us a heal, or a blade or something instead of an absorb that doesn't help us at all. I am quite sure that the weaver is 100% better than an 800 absorb, and I can be sure about that.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Several problems with your post:

- All death spells do not ignore absorbs, only drain spells ignore absorbs
-Drains already have several built in disadvantages- they deal far below dpp and also only gain a 2/3 damage buff from enchants. Their ability to ignore drains is one of their few advantages and does not need to be changed.
-Life in PvP is in a much higher tier than death- Death is the lowest tier school and does not nee anymore nerfs.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
I've always made the joke "alrighty class, let's learn the Spirit Armor spell, a mighty absorb shield that prevents damage completely" *death casts ghoul* "well then" honestly life needs a spell idea I thought of a while back, vitae guardian, enchantment for absorbs, any damage done, heals you

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Death's drain spells will punch right through an absorb like it isn't there. I learned that the hard way when when playing my first wizard back in 2009. With dangerously low health, I popped up a Spirit Armor absorb shield thinking I'd survive long enough to heal myself and was destroyed a second later by a Vampire sucking all my remaining health straight through it.

Absorbs do block all other damage spells, however, including Death's spells like Poison, Banshee, Deer Knight, etc. It's only the drains that bypass absorbs.

Alia Misthaven, 120
Fallon Raven, 79
Sophia Soulmender, 77

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
best way to put it, Absorb Shields are a house, every spell tries to knock down the wall, brute force their way in, Death's Drain spells uses the unlocked open door

Defender
Jul 09, 2012
Eric Stormbringer on Oct 29, 2017 wrote:
Several problems with your post:

- All death spells do not ignore absorbs, only drain spells ignore absorbs
-Drains already have several built in disadvantages- they deal far below dpp and also only gain a 2/3 damage buff from enchants. Their ability to ignore drains is one of their few advantages and does not need to be changed.
-Life in PvP is in a much higher tier than death- Death is the lowest tier school and does not nee anymore nerfs.
So when I have 55% universal resist, and 60% resist to death, and when a death casts an enchanted vampire on me and it deals 1400 damage and heals back 700, that is completely fair right?

What does life have that is good against death? Nothing. Maybe a set shield...

Death has infection, doom and gloom, multiple spells that take away healing percentage, and set shields. Those practically make healing impossible for a life while they can have doom and gloom up and still get healbacks like crazy because it's not considered a "Healing Spell".

They can get a big attack, and a big heal all in one? I can hungry caterpillar and he can use his shadow pip spell and my shadow pip spell basically did nothing to him because he goes through my absorb and gets a major healback?

I always thought that was the REASON why life got absorbs, so it could reduce deaths heals just like they can MAJORLY reduce life healing, but I guess the game is more broken than I thought it was

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Pouffy23 on Nov 1, 2017 wrote:
So when I have 55% universal resist, and 60% resist to death, and when a death casts an enchanted vampire on me and it deals 1400 damage and heals back 700, that is completely fair right?

What does life have that is good against death? Nothing. Maybe a set shield...

Death has infection, doom and gloom, multiple spells that take away healing percentage, and set shields. Those practically make healing impossible for a life while they can have doom and gloom up and still get healbacks like crazy because it's not considered a "Healing Spell".

They can get a big attack, and a big heal all in one? I can hungry caterpillar and he can use his shadow pip spell and my shadow pip spell basically did nothing to him because he goes through my absorb and gets a major healback?

I always thought that was the REASON why life got absorbs, so it could reduce deaths heals just like they can MAJORLY reduce life healing, but I guess the game is more broken than I thought it was
1400 Vampire through that resist
- Only way this happened without buffs is with a)shrike b)critical

What does life have that's good against death?
-Luminous Weaver
-Ability to heal without sacrificing their blade set up
-A more damaging single hit shadow spell

Bubble wars are important to win in any pvp match. Yes death can shut down life's heals very easily. However, Life has far and away better offensive tools than death.

If you used caterpillar and he follows up with lulu then he still healed less than half the damage your caterpillar did to him and your absorb is still intact for any of his non-drain spells.

Im sorry to say but you thought wrong. Drains have ignored absorbs since the beginning of this game. Simply because you thought differently does not make this unfair or the game broken

Mastermind
Mar 16, 2009
The "rival schools" were not built to specifically counter one another, for the most part. Death has counters to Life via Healing debuffs, and Fire has an easier time than most against Shields (Ice's specialty, to an extent, but this is a lame generalization), but then again, so does Myth. And like Life, Ice doesn't really have any counters for "generally Fire things" outside of, uh, Cooldown? As for Myth and Storm, there's like... no interactions between the two at all that wouldn't apply just as well to literally any other school.

If you get hit with a Vampire for 1400, then it was affected by a damage buff (or Critical perhaps). A Colossal Vampire (550 Damage) would have to be cast by someone with 155% Death Damage to single-handedly reach 1400 damage. This isn't factoring your Resist or the attacker's Pierce at all. I should point out that one of Death's glaring weaknesses, from what I've read, is their incredible reliance on Blades to do much damage. Their Drains are all single-hits, also, so using a Shield means they'd probably have to switch up to something like Skeletal Dragon, which means no healing for them.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
camahawk on Nov 1, 2017 wrote:
best way to put it, Absorb Shields are a house, every spell tries to knock down the wall, brute force their way in, Death's Drain spells uses the unlocked open door
This is actually an excellent way to put it!

Don't sleep on this post!

Defender
Jul 09, 2012
Eric Stormbringer on Nov 2, 2017 wrote:
1400 Vampire through that resist
- Only way this happened without buffs is with a)shrike b)critical

What does life have that's good against death?
-Luminous Weaver
-Ability to heal without sacrificing their blade set up
-A more damaging single hit shadow spell

Bubble wars are important to win in any pvp match. Yes death can shut down life's heals very easily. However, Life has far and away better offensive tools than death.

If you used caterpillar and he follows up with lulu then he still healed less than half the damage your caterpillar did to him and your absorb is still intact for any of his non-drain spells.

Im sorry to say but you thought wrong. Drains have ignored absorbs since the beginning of this game. Simply because you thought differently does not make this unfair or the game broken
1. Luminous weaver? That shouldn't count because that is craftable and it is for going against every school.

2. Ability to heal? I am wondering on if you read the entire page. Death has stacks apon stacks of spells that make life healing useless. Life has barely a chance to heal while they get heals thrown onto them after every few attacks. It's completely unfair.

3. More damage on a shadow hit..... That shouldn't matter if they can just attack me and get health back along with them just going through mt absorb like there is no tomorrow.

4. More offensive tools? Guardian angel.. Useless if a doom and gloom is up (Which is most likely gonna happen), set shield.. Death has a set shield against life as well.

So you're telling me, they can spam infection on me, or doom and gloom spam, and do an attack on me and that will also heal them more than my four pip satyr while I still have to attack? That's broken. Sorry but no logic in this post

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Pouffy23 on Nov 3, 2017 wrote:
1. Luminous weaver? That shouldn't count because that is craftable and it is for going against every school.

2. Ability to heal? I am wondering on if you read the entire page. Death has stacks apon stacks of spells that make life healing useless. Life has barely a chance to heal while they get heals thrown onto them after every few attacks. It's completely unfair.

3. More damage on a shadow hit..... That shouldn't matter if they can just attack me and get health back along with them just going through mt absorb like there is no tomorrow.

4. More offensive tools? Guardian angel.. Useless if a doom and gloom is up (Which is most likely gonna happen), set shield.. Death has a set shield against life as well.

So you're telling me, they can spam infection on me, or doom and gloom spam, and do an attack on me and that will also heal them more than my four pip satyr while I still have to attack? That's broken. Sorry but no logic in this post
-Luminous Weaver shouldn't count b/c it can be used against anyone? Drains can be used against anyone too but your entire topic is about drains. See the issue?

-You can counter any heal prevention spell to ensure you have a better chance at healing. You also have a much better health buffer and as I responded, better offensive capabilities

-It absolutely matters because it takes multiple unshielded drain spells to recover the health your shadow soell deals to them.

-No attack on you from death unbuffed will heal back more than satyr barring extraneous factors such as critical or shrike. They spam infection on you- pressure them offensively or respond with minor blessing. They spam doom on you? Change the bubble with brown spider which also applies offensive pressure.

-A simple understanding of the Mirage meta tier list will show you that there is nothing OP about death in PvP.
http://www.duelist101.com/wizard-101/the-mirage-max-lvl-1v1-pvp-tier-list/

Defender
Jul 09, 2012
Eric Stormbringer on Nov 3, 2017 wrote:
-Luminous Weaver shouldn't count b/c it can be used against anyone? Drains can be used against anyone too but your entire topic is about drains. See the issue?

-You can counter any heal prevention spell to ensure you have a better chance at healing. You also have a much better health buffer and as I responded, better offensive capabilities

-It absolutely matters because it takes multiple unshielded drain spells to recover the health your shadow soell deals to them.

-No attack on you from death unbuffed will heal back more than satyr barring extraneous factors such as critical or shrike. They spam infection on you- pressure them offensively or respond with minor blessing. They spam doom on you? Change the bubble with brown spider which also applies offensive pressure.

-A simple understanding of the Mirage meta tier list will show you that there is nothing OP about death in PvP.
http://www.duelist101.com/wizard-101/the-mirage-max-lvl-1v1-pvp-tier-list/
- This point didn't fit the comparison to luminous weaver and drain spells. They are totally different. IF we were to compare them, It's as if I use the luminous weaver on a certain school, and they get to ignore the weakness, but some other spells can. That's fair? Not likely. Drains can be used against anyone. Duh. This is about drains going through my 800 absorb after my strongest spell and it being totally useless. Balance gets a bubble, ice gets a 75% shield, death gets a healback, fire gets a trap, myth gets a minion, so why can't I use my absorb? That makes no logical sense. I have always thought absorbs were just for death to not get much of a healback, but I thought wrong.

- Multiple unnshielded drains? They can hit me once and get like 600+ health back.

- I am aware that no attack will heal back more than a satyr, but it would if they have a doom and gloom up or infection leaving me no hope for heals while they just get multiple coming in at once.

-Brown spider is a rare treasure card. If it was craftable, then there would be logic in that comment.

- Minor Blessing??? Who brings that to pvp. That would just waste a round for me to attack or shield.

- I said that death going through absorbs was unfair and broken. Never said it was "Overpowered" which in this case it kinda is.

Once again, sorry but no logic

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Pouffy23 on Nov 5, 2017 wrote:
- This point didn't fit the comparison to luminous weaver and drain spells. They are totally different. IF we were to compare them, It's as if I use the luminous weaver on a certain school, and they get to ignore the weakness, but some other spells can. That's fair? Not likely. Drains can be used against anyone. Duh. This is about drains going through my 800 absorb after my strongest spell and it being totally useless. Balance gets a bubble, ice gets a 75% shield, death gets a healback, fire gets a trap, myth gets a minion, so why can't I use my absorb? That makes no logical sense. I have always thought absorbs were just for death to not get much of a healback, but I thought wrong.

- Multiple unnshielded drains? They can hit me once and get like 600+ health back.

- I am aware that no attack will heal back more than a satyr, but it would if they have a doom and gloom up or infection leaving me no hope for heals while they just get multiple coming in at once.

-Brown spider is a rare treasure card. If it was craftable, then there would be logic in that comment.

- Minor Blessing??? Who brings that to pvp. That would just waste a round for me to attack or shield.

- I said that death going through absorbs was unfair and broken. Never said it was "Overpowered" which in this case it kinda is.

Once again, sorry but no logic
-No spell currently exists that ignore weaknesses. However, if such a spell did exist it would be totally fair IF it paid the same price drains do namely a much lower dpp and 2/3 enhancement. You can use your absorbs on anything except drain spells. How useful is Ice's 75% shield against a DoT or double hit spell? I suppose then that DoTs/Double Hits are unfair to Ice?

-2 unbuffed drains in the game give 600+ health back in this meta: The 9 pip Dr Von and the Shadow Pip Khurulu. That health returned is still less than the 860+ heal you get from the 4 pip satyr hence validating my point.

-You can counter doom and gloom and infection if you so choose.

-Brown spider is a tc no serious life pvper should leave home without. Plus if you have no access to it use sanctuary or more ideally your offensive bubble.

-Similar to how no Life brings minor blessing, most competent deaths do not bring infection as it is indeed a waste of a round you could be attacking or shielding.
-I have demonstrated it is neither unfair(Drains pay both a low dpp cost and a 2/3 enhancement cost for their benefits) or broken(Drains have worked this way from the game's inception).

-I also realize that another advantage Life has over Death is triage. Using your logic isn't it broken/unfair that Death cannot effectively use DoTs against Life?

Defender
Jul 09, 2012
Eric Stormbringer on Nov 6, 2017 wrote:
-No spell currently exists that ignore weaknesses. However, if such a spell did exist it would be totally fair IF it paid the same price drains do namely a much lower dpp and 2/3 enhancement. You can use your absorbs on anything except drain spells. How useful is Ice's 75% shield against a DoT or double hit spell? I suppose then that DoTs/Double Hits are unfair to Ice?

-2 unbuffed drains in the game give 600+ health back in this meta: The 9 pip Dr Von and the Shadow Pip Khurulu. That health returned is still less than the 860+ heal you get from the 4 pip satyr hence validating my point.

-You can counter doom and gloom and infection if you so choose.

-Brown spider is a tc no serious life pvper should leave home without. Plus if you have no access to it use sanctuary or more ideally your offensive bubble.

-Similar to how no Life brings minor blessing, most competent deaths do not bring infection as it is indeed a waste of a round you could be attacking or shielding.
-I have demonstrated it is neither unfair(Drains pay both a low dpp cost and a 2/3 enhancement cost for their benefits) or broken(Drains have worked this way from the game's inception).

-I also realize that another advantage Life has over Death is triage. Using your logic isn't it broken/unfair that Death cannot effectively use DoTs against Life?
- DOT spells or double hits are for every shield, not just ice's shield. This also goes for every school to hit through AND this also has nothing to do with the conversation. Once again, no logic. This is about death going strait through absorbs and getting good heals while life has no way to heal or anything if a doom and gloom or infection is out. Ice still gets a 75% shield no matter what sooooo maybe try again?

- Your "Dr Von" and "Khurulu" point was highly invalid. The drains do damage AND heal, as well as you also forgot to read that death 99% of the time will spam doom and gloom and infection. Try again.

- I can counter a lot of stuff. This is also about death going through absorbs and me having to waste pips on a new global because my own LIFE absorbs can't help me out.

- Brown spider is not craftable, nor easy to obtain. You have to either farm a lot, or wait for hours in the bazaar for them. No thank you, I will pass.

-Many death wizards bring infection. I even bring infection on my life. It takes a satyr down to half, thus making it useful. Maybe try again?

- You said it 3 times. I know drains are 2/3 enchantment whatever. That has absolutely nothing to do with this topic by any means. This would go somewhere else.

-Everyone can triage LOL the bazaar sells loads of them as treasure cards and sometimes I can't pull them anyways. Also death doesn't have that may good damage over times to get rid of unless I am doing a quick match. Try again later on that one as well because it had zero logic. So therefore, no it is not broken for a "Death to not use triage" because they kinda can. I don't see a treasure card for me that gives me an absorb that drains can go through, does that make it broken?

Check mate.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
I've been following this argument for a while and it seems like someone is overlooking an extremely basic solution to the problem of Death drains going through absorbs:

Stop depending on absorbs when you're fighting Death.
Put up a darn death SHIELD or Tower SHIELD, for 0 pips.

That's it.
Simple.

There's a reason Death comes in "dead last" in PVP and that is their total reliance on single-hits in order to get back their health. One shield stops them dead in their tracks and forces them to use non-drain spells to get rid of the shield. If they do that, they have to use up their feints and curse and maybe even their blades on a lesser spell, while getting no health back. And if you do have an absorb in place, this is where it will kick in and save you!

For the bubble war, go to Mooshu and buy yourself a Brown Spider pet in the pet shop. Hatch it, train it, get it ready for PVP in whatever way you want. It comes equipped with a Life damage bubble. There's also a Brown Recluse pet gem that will give your pet a second bubble card:

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Jewel:Brown_Recluse_Jade#axzz4xWpbbxma

You can also put a couple of Sanctuaries in your spell deck, or train your pet to do the "may cast Sanctuary" spell. The talent is called "Green Thumb."

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/PetAbility:Green_Thumb#axzz4xWpbbxma

All the complaining about Plagues is just foolish. Plague is expensive in terms of pips, so if they're using that then they're not hitting you. To counter, use a low-pip heal, or use Cleanse Charm to get rid of it. Again, simple solution.

Stop complaining and ADAPT. Try something new instead of relying on the same strategy for every single battle.

Alia Misthaven, 120
Fallon Raven, 80
Sophia Soulmender, 79

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Pouffy23 on Nov 7, 2017 wrote:
- DOT spells or double hits are for every shield, not just ice's shield. This also goes for every school to hit through AND this also has nothing to do with the conversation. Once again, no logic. This is about death going strait through absorbs and getting good heals while life has no way to heal or anything if a doom and gloom or infection is out. Ice still gets a 75% shield no matter what sooooo maybe try again?

- Your "Dr Von" and "Khurulu" point was highly invalid. The drains do damage AND heal, as well as you also forgot to read that death 99% of the time will spam doom and gloom and infection. Try again.

- I can counter a lot of stuff. This is also about death going through absorbs and me having to waste pips on a new global because my own LIFE absorbs can't help me out.

- Brown spider is not craftable, nor easy to obtain. You have to either farm a lot, or wait for hours in the bazaar for them. No thank you, I will pass.

-Many death wizards bring infection. I even bring infection on my life. It takes a satyr down to half, thus making it useful. Maybe try again?

- You said it 3 times. I know drains are 2/3 enchantment whatever. That has absolutely nothing to do with this topic by any means. This would go somewhere else.

-Everyone can triage LOL the bazaar sells loads of them as treasure cards and sometimes I can't pull them anyways. Also death doesn't have that may good damage over times to get rid of unless I am doing a quick match. Try again later on that one as well because it had zero logic. So therefore, no it is not broken for a "Death to not use triage" because they kinda can. I don't see a treasure card for me that gives me an absorb that drains can go through, does that make it broken?

Check mate.
-Just as DoTs and Double hits bypass all single shields not just Ice's so too do drains bypass all absorbs not just Life's. Of course this has to do with the conversation. You are saying drains are inherently unfair because they bypass a mechanic(drains bypass absorbs). I am pointing out this is not unfair because other types of spells bypass a mechanic(double hits bypass single shields). And Life still gets an 800 absorb no matter what just like Ice gets a 75% shield no matter what.

-How is it invalid? Lets track the conversation on this point. I pointed out it takes multiple unshielded drains to recover the health lost from a life shadow hit. You then claimed this is not true since death drains heal 600+. I then pointed out only 2 spells do this while being far and away more expensive than your 4 pip heal satyr and healing less thus validating my original point that your higher damage on your shadow enhanced spell is absolutely relevant to the conversation.

-If death spams doom and infection you have the method to counter spam your removal methods OR to leverage your much better offensive potential.

-You keep saying drains are "unfair" and I am pointing out to you they are not unfair because their unique advantages come with distinct disadvantages. Hence why the 2/3 enhancement and lower dpp is relevant.

To be continued.
-If you are at max level and are facing wizards that are using infection then I guarantee you are dueling at Knight or lower rank. The biggest piece of advice I could give your max life is to ditch infection. It works great in the slower mid lvl meta. Not great in max lvl PvP.

-If Death uses pips on their global should you not also have to use pips on yours? The only time your own life absorbs won't help you out is against drains. Deaths use other spells besides drains that your absorb will absolutely help out against.

-As for Brown Spider: If you don't want to put in the effort necessary to obtain a highly useful PvP card then thats on you.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Pouffy23 on Nov 7, 2017 wrote:

Check mate.
-Death doesn't have good damage over times? LOL- Skeletal Dragon and Poison are death's bread and butter non-shadow enhanced spells. Plus who said death can't use triage? I pointed out that death can't effectively use DoTs against Life just as Life can't effectively use absorbs against death. Plus as far as I know- TC of absorbs exist so what do you mean you don't have a TC that gives you an absorb drains can go through?

If by Checkmate you mean "I thought drains worked on absorbs but they don't and I think drains are unfair even though they come with built in balancing mechanics" then yeah I guess it is.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
1) Guardian Vitae, Absorb enchant, any damage done to the absorb, heals you. (Spell idea)

2) use Swan, it's practically a death card... Damages and heals

3) don't rely on absorbs, ice has 2 of em and we rarely use em, and they're our Xpip cards

4) minor blessing, same reason I've carried Imp, it's a low pip life card, knocks dispels off...

Speaking of which....

5) just dispel

Defender
Jul 09, 2012
Freshta on Nov 7, 2017 wrote:
I've been following this argument for a while and it seems like someone is overlooking an extremely basic solution to the problem of Death drains going through absorbs:

Stop depending on absorbs when you're fighting Death.
Put up a darn death SHIELD or Tower SHIELD, for 0 pips.

That's it.
Simple.

There's a reason Death comes in "dead last" in PVP and that is their total reliance on single-hits in order to get back their health. One shield stops them dead in their tracks and forces them to use non-drain spells to get rid of the shield. If they do that, they have to use up their feints and curse and maybe even their blades on a lesser spell, while getting no health back. And if you do have an absorb in place, this is where it will kick in and save you!

For the bubble war, go to Mooshu and buy yourself a Brown Spider pet in the pet shop. Hatch it, train it, get it ready for PVP in whatever way you want. It comes equipped with a Life damage bubble. There's also a Brown Recluse pet gem that will give your pet a second bubble card:

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Jewel:Brown_Recluse_Jade#axzz4xWpbbxma

You can also put a couple of Sanctuaries in your spell deck, or train your pet to do the "may cast Sanctuary" spell. The talent is called "Green Thumb."

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/PetAbility:Green_Thumb#axzz4xWpbbxma

All the complaining about Plagues is just foolish. Plague is expensive in terms of pips, so if they're using that then they're not hitting you. To counter, use a low-pip heal, or use Cleanse Charm to get rid of it. Again, simple solution.

Stop complaining and ADAPT. Try something new instead of relying on the same strategy for every single battle.

Alia Misthaven, 120
Fallon Raven, 80
Sophia Soulmender, 79
You say you have been following the thread and argument for a while, but it is very much shown that you have not read much.

No duh I can put up tower shields and set shields. Any school can. This is about LIFE and their main setup after an attack is putting an ABSORB on the player. Hungry caterpillar is a major example.

- Lol you are seriously going to tell me to go train a brown spider as a pet so I can only have one go at it in pvp? Wasting MY time? No thanks lol I can't believe that was just said.

- Nobody ever ever ever said anything about Plague, so maybe try again? Simple Solution

Stop complaining and ADAPT??? That is kinda easy for you to say for spamming loremaster and going strait through with Gaze to get your global to spam loremaster a little more. You don't have to worry about death going through YOUR absorbs now do you?

This is about death having a giant advantage when going up against life, not about "Adapt and try something new!" LOL.

Here is some more "In detail" Terms to put this at.

What does life have to worry about when going up against death?

1. Doom and gloom spam (Also doom and gloom doesn't effect death healbacks but slaughters life advantage with only 2 pips). Makes my heals useless as well as making my guardian spirit no good.

2. Infection. No I am not wasting deck space for a useless minor healing card. I would rather waste my round with a cleanse even though that isn't much worth it either.

3. Healbacks. I have to attack, and worry about my health. All death has to do is blade up, and hit. If I do set shield, they can just cast a damage over time right off and go in for an open hit and getting major heals while I am over here with my 2 pips trying to scrounge up my pixie.

What does death have to worry about going up against life?

Nothing! They just gotta throw up a doom and gloom, and while it's up, they don't have to worry about a thing besides skipping absorbs.

Nope. I'll pass

Defender
Jul 09, 2012
Eric Stormbringer on Nov 7, 2017 wrote:
-Just as DoTs and Double hits bypass all single shields not just Ice's so too do drains bypass all absorbs not just Life's. Of course this has to do with the conversation. You are saying drains are inherently unfair because they bypass a mechanic(drains bypass absorbs). I am pointing out this is not unfair because other types of spells bypass a mechanic(double hits bypass single shields). And Life still gets an 800 absorb no matter what just like Ice gets a 75% shield no matter what.

-How is it invalid? Lets track the conversation on this point. I pointed out it takes multiple unshielded drains to recover the health lost from a life shadow hit. You then claimed this is not true since death drains heal 600+. I then pointed out only 2 spells do this while being far and away more expensive than your 4 pip heal satyr and healing less thus validating my original point that your higher damage on your shadow enhanced spell is absolutely relevant to the conversation.

-If death spams doom and infection you have the method to counter spam your removal methods OR to leverage your much better offensive potential.

-You keep saying drains are "unfair" and I am pointing out to you they are not unfair because their unique advantages come with distinct disadvantages. Hence why the 2/3 enhancement and lower dpp is relevant.

To be continued.
-If you are at max level and are facing wizards that are using infection then I guarantee you are dueling at Knight or lower rank. The biggest piece of advice I could give your max life is to ditch infection. It works great in the slower mid lvl meta. Not great in max lvl PvP.

-If Death uses pips on their global should you not also have to use pips on yours? The only time your own life absorbs won't help you out is against drains. Deaths use other spells besides drains that your absorb will absolutely help out against.

-As for Brown Spider: If you don't want to put in the effort necessary to obtain a highly useful PvP card then thats on you.
- Every single school in the game is able to bypass a tower shield or set shield. I literally already said this. Read once more even though it will most likely not happen. This is about death having an advantage over life, not "Every school can go through tower shields!" That has nothing, literally zero sense on how it is related to the argument. Try again.

- Their healback is double what my 4 pip satyr does as long as a doom and gloom is up. I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself. Bubble fighting will not win for me considering sanctuary is 3 pips, and doom and gloom is only one power pip. (Also pretty unfair considering life is the only global who gets it as 3 pips other than 2 like the others, thanks for reminding me)

- "Counter spam removal methods? You mean by that is spam sanctuary wasting my pips? No thanks.

-I never said drains are unfair. Never once said that did I? No. Read again I suggest and remember that I said.... *Whispers* "Come closer..." *Waits* "Yeah you.... Come closer" *Yells* "IT IS UNFAIR FOR DEATH TO GO THROUGH ABSORBS! NOT DRAINS BEING UNFAIR AND UNBALANCED READ AGAIN

-When I am going against annoying jades who only go conservative until I flee, I will need infection.

- Once more, Doom and gloom is only one power pip, and sanctuary is 3. They will most likely win the war because it will drain my pips faster than death drains through my absorbs.

- Oh trust me, I got brown spider. I just said its hard to obtain sometimes. Simple

Defender
Jul 09, 2012
Eric Stormbringer on Nov 7, 2017 wrote:
-Death doesn't have good damage over times? LOL- Skeletal Dragon and Poison are death's bread and butter non-shadow enhanced spells. Plus who said death can't use triage? I pointed out that death can't effectively use DoTs against Life just as Life can't effectively use absorbs against death. Plus as far as I know- TC of absorbs exist so what do you mean you don't have a TC that gives you an absorb drains can go through?

If by Checkmate you mean "I thought drains worked on absorbs but they don't and I think drains are unfair even though they come with built in balancing mechanics" then yeah I guess it is.
"I pointed out that death can't effectively use DoTs against Life just as Life can't effectively use absorbs against death. Plus as far as I know- TC of absorbs exist so what do you mean you don't have a TC that gives you an absorb drains can go through?"

- Who uses tc absorbs? have a 3 pip absorb that I will never use while playing this game considering it's useless. This is about MY spells giving ME absorbs after I do an attack. It's lifes specialty along with heals (Which they can't do going up against a death might I add). Duh I can go on a death wizard and go buy an absorb tc with no mastery amulet, waste my pips, absorb 400 for actually no reason, and go on with my life wondering on what I just did. Yes. I can do that, but that would be not smart whats so ever, but since you mentioned it and think that it's a comparison, then I guess you have done that which is zero surprise.

- Every school can go and buy a zero pip triage tc. It's easy.

Once more!!! This is about DEATH not going through ABSORBS. Comparing and making a fool out of the comparison is clearly not working.

Checkmate as in I can't even use my shadow hit to my advantage as in "Checkmate" sure.

Defender
Jul 09, 2012
camahawk on Nov 8, 2017 wrote:
1) Guardian Vitae, Absorb enchant, any damage done to the absorb, heals you. (Spell idea)

2) use Swan, it's practically a death card... Damages and heals

3) don't rely on absorbs, ice has 2 of em and we rarely use em, and they're our Xpip cards

4) minor blessing, same reason I've carried Imp, it's a low pip life card, knocks dispels off...

Speaking of which....

5) just dispel
-Wings of fate is not good for 1v1 pvp at all. I have only used it once and it was because the other person had a minion that I had to get rid of.

-I have to rely on absorbs. My most powerful 1v1 spell gives me an 800 absorb to protect me, what is the use if going up against death?

-Minor blessing just wastes my space in my deck. I would discard it as soon as it fits in my hands.

-I would need a mastery and a ton of treasure cards to dispel. I don't need to worry about wasting pips

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Pouffy23 on Nov 9, 2017 wrote:
You say you have been following the thread and argument for a while, but it is very much shown that you have not read much.

No duh I can put up tower shields and set shields. Any school can. This is about LIFE and their main setup after an attack is putting an ABSORB on the player. Hungry caterpillar is a major example.

- Lol you are seriously going to tell me to go train a brown spider as a pet so I can only have one go at it in pvp? Wasting MY time? No thanks lol I can't believe that was just said.

- Nobody ever ever ever said anything about Plague, so maybe try again? Simple Solution

Stop complaining and ADAPT??? That is kinda easy for you to say for spamming loremaster and going strait through with Gaze to get your global to spam loremaster a little more. You don't have to worry about death going through YOUR absorbs now do you?

This is about death having a giant advantage when going up against life, not about "Adapt and try something new!" LOL.

Here is some more "In detail" Terms to put this at.

What does life have to worry about when going up against death?

1. Doom and gloom spam (Also doom and gloom doesn't effect death healbacks but slaughters life advantage with only 2 pips). Makes my heals useless as well as making my guardian spirit no good.

2. Infection. No I am not wasting deck space for a useless minor healing card. I would rather waste my round with a cleanse even though that isn't much worth it either.

3. Healbacks. I have to attack, and worry about my health. All death has to do is blade up, and hit. If I do set shield, they can just cast a damage over time right off and go in for an open hit and getting major heals while I am over here with my 2 pips trying to scrounge up my pixie.

What does death have to worry about going up against life?

Nothing! They just gotta throw up a doom and gloom, and while it's up, they don't have to worry about a thing besides skipping absorbs.

Nope. I'll pass

My reading comprehension is fine, thank you for asking.

I misspoke when saying Plague. Yes, I meant Infection. But the tips I suggested remove the effects of Infection regardless of which spell I named. Getting rid of them requires the same tactics as getting rid of a Plague, severe weakness or severe Smokescreen. You either cleanse or use a low pip spell, in all cases.

Obviously you don't know (or don't care) that Ice and Myth have the same trouble using their absorbs against a Death drain, yet you don't see them on this thread whining about Death's drains the way that you do. Not only that, but Myth and Ice don't have in-house heals the way that Life does. It seems to me they'd have an even harder time fighting Death than you have. So are you advocating for those schools, too?

Obviously you have assumed that I PVP with my Balance. Wrong. Don't assume things. Alia is the first wizard I ever created and one that I've taken to end game. But. I do PVP with a Death wizard and gave you tips, as a Death wizard, on what others have done to shut me down. If you don't want to take the tips and at least consider them, that's on you.

Alia Misthaven

Edited to add: Alia is the first wizard I created on this account. The first ever was a Myth on a friend's account, but I don't have access to that wizard anymore.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
- Every single school in the game is able to bypass a tower shield or set shield. I literally already said this. Read once more even though it will most likely not happen. This is about death having an advantage over life, not "Every school can go through tower shields!" That has nothing, literally zero sense on how it is related to the argument. Try again.

- Their healback is double what my 4 pip satyr does as long as a doom and gloom is up. I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself. Bubble fighting will not win for me considering sanctuary is 3 pips, and doom and gloom is only one power pip. (Also pretty unfair considering life is the only global who gets it as 3 pips other than 2 like the others, thanks for reminding me)

- "Counter spam removal methods? You mean by that is spam sanctuary wasting my pips? No thanks.

-I never said drains are unfair. Never once said that did I? No. Read again I suggest and remember that I said.... *Whispers* "Come closer..." *Waits* "Yeah you.... Come closer" *Yells* "IT IS UNFAIR FOR DEATH TO GO THROUGH ABSORBS! NOT DRAINS BEING UNFAIR AND UNBALANCED READ AGAIN

-When I am going against annoying jades who only go conservative until I flee, I will need infection.

- Once more, Doom and gloom is only one power pip, and sanctuary is 3. They will most likely win the war because it will drain my pips faster than death drains through my absorbs.

- Oh trust me, I got brown spider. I just said its hard to obtain sometimes. Simple
-So what if every school is able to bypass a set shield or tower? Every school is able to bypass an absorb too by simply casting pierce. Yes death has advantages over life. Life also has advantages over death. Nothing unfair here.

-The healback is also significantly less than satyr if you cast a shield so what is your point? As I said if you don't want to challenge their heal control then challenge them offensively. You will win because a) You have much better offensive options and stats and b)You simultaneously have a much better health buffer. As for why sanctuary is 3 pips. It's effect is literally double that of all the damage bubbles(25% vs 50%) and is mutually assistive, unlike death's bubble which is mutually harmful and completely centered on countering one mechanic.

-OR leverage your superior offensive options- as I repeatedly point out.

-Guess what? Saying its "unfair for death to go through absorbs" is LITERALLY THE SAME as saying drains are unfair since DRAINS ARE THE ONLY DEATH SPELLS THAT GO THROUGH ABSORBS.

-Infection is next to useless against conservative jades since they carry far and away more healing options than you have infections. Your best tools against jades are shrike, tempo, blades and control. Here is a guide: http://www.duelist101.com/wizard101-pvp-guides-2/advanced-pvp-guides/fallen-angels-defeat-angel-strategy-ranked-pvp/

-Then stop fighting the bubble war and GO OFFENSIVE

-I agree it is hard to obtain. That does nothing for your argument.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
"I pointed out that death can't effectively use DoTs against Life just as Life can't effectively use absorbs against death. Plus as far as I know- TC of absorbs exist so what do you mean you don't have a TC that gives you an absorb drains can go through?"

- Who uses tc absorbs? have a 3 pip absorb that I will never use while playing this game considering it's useless. This is about MY spells giving ME absorbs after I do an attack. It's lifes specialty along with heals (Which they can't do going up against a death might I add). Duh I can go on a death wizard and go buy an absorb tc with no mastery amulet, waste my pips, absorb 400 for actually no reason, and go on with my life wondering on what I just did. Yes. I can do that, but that would be not smart whats so ever, but since you mentioned it and think that it's a comparison, then I guess you have done that which is zero surprise.

- Every school can go and buy a zero pip triage tc. It's easy.

Once more!!! This is about DEATH not going through ABSORBS. Comparing and making a fool out of the comparison is clearly not working.

Checkmate as in I can't even use my shadow hit to my advantage as in "Checkmate" sure.
- You are moving the goalposts. Your original argument was that there was no TC that you could use that drains go through. I then pointed out that this is incorrect since TC absorbs exist.

-Yes every school can buy a triage. How does that disprove the fact that Death's DoTs are ineffective against Life?

-Once more DEATH DOESN"T IGNORE ABSORBS. Only DRAINS ignore absorbs. The majority of Death's Offensive options will be affected by absorbs.

-You can use your shadow hit to your advantage- a)It does a large amount of damage(more than ANY of death's shadow hits) and leaves an absorb that affects THE MAJORITY of death's offensive options.