Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Death needs better utility spells asap

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jan 24, 2009
Death is literally the only school that can barely use their own utilities. Self damage spells are cool but how are they useful when you have to blade for damage while needing at least 40 pierce?? No stuns, damage bubble, mantle or etc?? I feel that KI kinda needs to change the mechanics on some of the spells.

1. Drains: Should be either full heal or enchant .

2.Doom & Gloom: Should buff only drains by like 25% but at the same time reduce 65% of heal.

3. Some Self damage spells: Empower, Dark pact or maybe bad Juju should be off school spells. Like maybe moon . Bad juju can maybe get more pips added which might prevent Jade bad juju spammers.

4. Better "X" Pip Spell : I feel like every schools x pip were essential to their roles with the exception of Death school. Minions are more of a myth's role which stated in their individual description. No where in death description does it mention minion summoning. But i would suggest a "x" pip drain.

5. More spell effects: As seen by other schools most have a variety of spell effects. Example: Fire (Hit Mantle), (Hit Trap or traps), (Hit weakness), (Hit Damage over time), (Hit Damage over time heal + Over time damage), (Hit Stun), (Steal Charms) (Stuns), (Double hit), (Hit shield aka Magma colossus), (Self damage). Some of the deaths spells need added effects or a buffed effect. Example: Winged sorrow is the weaker than the previous + recent shadow enhanced spells but only a 30% weakness. Like Seriously what is a 30% protecting anyone from?? The weakness should of been 60% or 55% giving on how weak the spell is compared to the others.

6. Friendly Drains - Death should have a spell to drain from allies. Example: Say if i beguiled a opponent but now i can't hit him? 2 pips to Steal some health from him/her kinda like how balance needs a aura to pop with super nova.

Let me know what you think....

Thanks For Reading

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
1) That's what buffing is for, and if the whole enchant was added, the boards would be filled with people screaming it's the most overpowered school there is, because that's what people have said in the past

2) I wouldn't have a problem with this

3) nope, Im tired of spells being nerfed because people in pvp cant handle somebody else's strategy. PvP is a SMALL part of the game with the largest amount of entitled people in it

4) The x-pip argument was suggested HERE, any hardly anybody commented on it.

5) Another thread I made, for this exact reason is HERE.

6) I've been drained off of just fine when beguiled, this doesnt need to be changed, unless you mean in PvP, in which case, I personally dont care (because I dont PvP), as long as it doesnt infringe on PvE at all

Survivor
Aug 31, 2010
I agree with you on this. Spirit schools in general seem to be a last thought. Death gets a bad wrap for the very reasons that you have mentioned. We don't always play team play and would like to be able to stand just as strong on 1v1.

Defender
Jan 24, 2009
dayerider on May 15, 2016 wrote:
1) That's what buffing is for, and if the whole enchant was added, the boards would be filled with people screaming it's the most overpowered school there is, because that's what people have said in the past

3) nope, Im tired of spells being nerfed because people in pvp cant handle somebody else's strategy. PvP is a SMALL part of the game with the largest amount of entitled people in it

6) I've been drained off of just fine when beguiled, this doesnt need to be changed, unless you mean in PvP, in which case, I personally dont care (because I dont PvP), as long as it doesnt infringe on PvE at all
Its not just about pvp its about being fair to every school. No decent treasures to combo with, other schools use their utilities better than death (Dark pact,Sacrifice,empower Bad juju), drains weak but also their non drains are also weak + lack spell effects, no full enchant, no full health, sacrifice is now useless + heals less than a fairy, no official damage bubble, feint + doom can be trained by anyone, shrike or empowerment doesn't recognizes drains + make things worst its not even a proper wand for death to wand off debuffs. All the wands now like the biker and the soothslayer benefit death the least. Soothslayer the wands are death which are better used for a myth or life. The biker wand which has a some death wands with a chance of may cast that hits only death which is more useful for fire. The best wand is Malistaire for death which it still lacks block + critical. If death had triple traps like fire it can be better for combos to help death. Its so bad that fire even has ashen bone tc that are stronger than skeletal dragon complete enchanted and then they have the mean to use it better because of their tc and utility set ups.

Death is truly forgotten

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
wakaflame201 on May 16, 2016 wrote:
Its not just about pvp its about being fair to every school. No decent treasures to combo with, other schools use their utilities better than death (Dark pact,Sacrifice,empower Bad juju), drains weak but also their non drains are also weak + lack spell effects, no full enchant, no full health, sacrifice is now useless + heals less than a fairy, no official damage bubble, feint + doom can be trained by anyone, shrike or empowerment doesn't recognizes drains + make things worst its not even a proper wand for death to wand off debuffs. All the wands now like the biker and the soothslayer benefit death the least. Soothslayer the wands are death which are better used for a myth or life. The biker wand which has a some death wands with a chance of may cast that hits only death which is more useful for fire. The best wand is Malistaire for death which it still lacks block + critical. If death had triple traps like fire it can be better for combos to help death. Its so bad that fire even has ashen bone tc that are stronger than skeletal dragon complete enchanted and then they have the mean to use it better because of their tc and utility set ups.

Death is truly forgotten
I guess my issue is, I dont ever use those spells you talk about (dark pact, sacrifice, empower, bad juju). I used to use DP occasionally, the rest I dont bother with. I get how they can be a part of other people's game styles, but for me, I dont use them.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
wakaflame201 on May 15, 2016 wrote:
Death is literally the only school that can barely use their own utilities. Self damage spells are cool but how are they useful when you have to blade for damage while needing at least 40 pierce?? No stuns, damage bubble, mantle or etc?? I feel that KI kinda needs to change the mechanics on some of the spells.

2.Doom & Gloom: Should buff only drains by like 25% but at the same time reduce 65% of heal.

3. Some Self damage spells: Empower, Dark pact or maybe bad Juju should be off school spells. Like maybe moon . Bad juju can maybe get more pips added which might prevent Jade bad juju spammers.

4. Better "X" Pip Spell : I feel like every schools x pip were essential to their roles with the exception of Death school. Minions are more of a myth's role which stated in their individual description. No where in death description does it mention minion summoning. But i would suggest a "x" pip drain.

5. More spell effects: As seen by other schools most have a variety of spell effects. Example: Fire (Hit Mantle), (Hit Trap or traps), (Hit weakness), (Hit Damage over time), (Hit Damage over time heal + Over time damage), (Hit Stun), (Steal Charms) (Stuns), (Double hit), (Hit shield aka Magma colossus), (Self damage). Some of the deaths spells need added effects or a buffed effect. Example: Winged sorrow is the weaker than the previous + recent shadow enhanced spells but only a 30% weakness. Like Seriously what is a 30% protecting anyone from?? The weakness should of been 60% or 55% giving on how weak the spell is compared to the others.

6. Friendly Drains - Death should have a spell to drain from allies. Example: Say if i beguiled a opponent but now i can't hit him? 2 pips to Steal some health from him/her kinda like how balance needs a aura to pop with super nova.

Thanks For Reading
1) Disagree- Drains already get full value from enchants-2/3 goes to damage-1/3 to the health returned

2)Agreed here

3)I agree with moon damage self hits as long as the damage it deals is increased. On the other hand imagine a jade juju who could bladestack while continuing to juju spam. I would prefer the self damage to be backlash damage once you learn shadow magic. Example: Sacrifice deal 2.5% backlash damage to self and heal 800. In this way the spells would allow death to utilize their utilities while preserving their buffs while also not being overpowered even if the wizard is in jade gear. As for a nerf to bad juju- the only nerf necessary would be to make it uncloakable-therefore limiting it's ability to be multiplied and having no effect on PvE.

4)Agreed- An x pip AoE feint could also be good.

5)Agreed on everything except Winged Sorrow's Weakness. At the most it should be -45%.

6)Trolling possibilities are strong with this one. How about a spell that allows you to drain health from a beguiled victim.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009

No feedback thread is ever complete without a PvE player bashing PvP. Tell me again who is more entitled?

A)The PvP player who points out an issue with an exploitative strategy when fighting another human being-the most cunning adversary on earth.

OR

B)The PvE player who complains about a minor nerf to a spell rarely used in PvE when fighting the brainless AI.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Eric Stormbringer on May 17, 2016 wrote:
No feedback thread is ever complete without a PvE player bashing PvP. Tell me again who is more entitled?

A)The PvP player who points out an issue with an exploitative strategy when fighting another human being-the most cunning adversary on earth.

OR

B)The PvE player who complains about a minor nerf to a spell rarely used in PvE when fighting the brainless AI.
I think if you look thru all the forums, you'll find more people from pvp complaining about spells needing to be changed. There's lots of it because the spells are unfair and need to be fixed, but there's also lots of it because people lost in PvP. Wanting the majority of the game to cater to a side portion of the game is crazy. Yes, PvP should absolutely be fixed, but nerfing spells isnt ALWAYS the way to do it, yet it's the quickest fix people apply. It's MUCH less common for people to suggest fixes that have nothing to do with nerfing.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Eric Stormbringer on May 17, 2016 wrote:

OR

there's PLENTY of suggestions that are not bashing PvP. I'll also ask you how many suggestions are made that PvPers bash even if it wont affect them. This goes both ways. I wont ever say otherwise, that I think that PvP should be removed from the game, because it's broken beyond repair, as many of the PvPers have been stating for ages now. I know, I know, but then KI would go bankrupt from PvP people leaving the game. How does that not sound like PvPers feel they control the game? As soon as a PvP player sees a suggestion, they automatically assume that it was made to hurt PvP even more. There is NO arguing that PvP and PvE people will RARELY agree on something, and that's fine, but saying that ALL suggestions are shot down because it may harm pvp, "the most intelligent creatures in the world", is really elitism at its finest. At least you've stated how you feel about PvE players, clearly, so now we all know where we stand in your eyes.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
dayerider on May 18, 2016 wrote:
I think if you look thru all the forums, you'll find more people from pvp complaining about spells needing to be changed. There's lots of it because the spells are unfair and need to be fixed, but there's also lots of it because people lost in PvP. Wanting the majority of the game to cater to a side portion of the game is crazy. Yes, PvP should absolutely be fixed, but nerfing spells isnt ALWAYS the way to do it, yet it's the quickest fix people apply. It's MUCH less common for people to suggest fixes that have nothing to do with nerfing.
Absolutely- and on these same threads you will see other PvPers arguing for why it should not be nerfed. You will see PvPers arguing for buffs such as the writer of this thread. Ideally changes such as these would be made independently of PvE. We have been asking for a separation of PvP and PvE for literally years. You always see the threads complaining about the nerfs that PvP has caused. What about the buffs?

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
dayerider on May 18, 2016 wrote:
there's PLENTY of suggestions that are not bashing PvP. I'll also ask you how many suggestions are made that PvPers bash even if it wont affect them. This goes both ways. I wont ever say otherwise, that I think that PvP should be removed from the game, because it's broken beyond repair, as many of the PvPers have been stating for ages now. I know, I know, but then KI would go bankrupt from PvP people leaving the game. How does that not sound like PvPers feel they control the game? As soon as a PvP player sees a suggestion, they automatically assume that it was made to hurt PvP even more. There is NO arguing that PvP and PvE people will RARELY agree on something, and that's fine, but saying that ALL suggestions are shot down because it may harm pvp, "the most intelligent creatures in the world", is really elitism at its finest. At least you've stated how you feel about PvE players, clearly, so now we all know where we stand in your eyes.
Saying that PvPers are an important part of KI's revenue source does not mean we think PvPers control the game-its a simple acknowledgement of facts. No one said anything about Pvpers being the most intelligent creatures in the world rofl. What I did say is that another human being is the most cunning adversary in the world. Do you deny this? My feelings towards PvEers in general is neither here nor there but you have pretty much pegged my feelings about those who bash PvPers-you got that down to a T.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
dayerider on May 17, 2016 wrote:
I guess my issue is, I dont ever use those spells you talk about (dark pact, sacrifice, empower, bad juju). I used to use DP occasionally, the rest I dont bother with. I get how they can be a part of other people's game styles, but for me, I dont use them.
This here is exactly what I was referring to in my previous assertion:

"B)The PvE player who complains about a minor nerf to a spell rarely used in PvE when fighting the brainless AI."

Here you are complaining about a change that could help alleviate a major problem in PvP for a spell you "don't ever use" because reasons.... Sorry you don't think so but PvP is a part of this game and has as much a right to be addressed as PvE

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Eric Stormbringer on May 18, 2016 wrote:
Absolutely- and on these same threads you will see other PvPers arguing for why it should not be nerfed. You will see PvPers arguing for buffs such as the writer of this thread. Ideally changes such as these would be made independently of PvE. We have been asking for a separation of PvP and PvE for literally years. You always see the threads complaining about the nerfs that PvP has caused. What about the buffs?
and yet, when I suggested that cards act differently in PvP and PvE, i get jumped on, because "no, they should not ever act differently". A PERFECT example of this is another death school spell, Lord of Night. The healing debuff is POINTLESS in PvE, yet makes more sense in PvP. i've argued that in MOST cases, monsters juts dont heal themselves so this after effect is useless, yet when I suggested that it remain the same for PvP (healing debuff) and maybe do a weakness in PvE, I got jumped on for being ridiculous, and not having a good grasp of how the game works. I asked for, exactly what you are now suggesting, and that wasnt "good enough" for PvPers (who responded negatively). Mind you, I am not saying YOU said that.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Eric Stormbringer on May 18, 2016 wrote:
Saying that PvPers are an important part of KI's revenue source does not mean we think PvPers control the game-its a simple acknowledgement of facts. No one said anything about Pvpers being the most intelligent creatures in the world rofl. What I did say is that another human being is the most cunning adversary in the world. Do you deny this? My feelings towards PvEers in general is neither here nor there but you have pretty much pegged my feelings about those who bash PvPers-you got that down to a T.
maybe YOU are not, but I have seen, on these forums, OTHER PvPers saying that they dominate the spending and without it, the game would go bankrupt. I am merely repeating the comments others have said to me, which means that PvPers DO think that way. Im not bashing PvP because they play PvP, Im commenting on a community of people who feel they need to be MORE catered to than the rest, because they play a SIDE aspect of the game, that there's is more important, and that without their SIDE aspect of the game, the MAIN part of the game would die, based off of comments they have actually made

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Eric Stormbringer on May 19, 2016 wrote:

"B)The PvE player who complains about a minor nerf to a spell rarely used in PvE when fighting the brainless AI."

Here you are complaining about a change that could help alleviate a major problem in PvP for a spell you "don't ever use" because reasons.... Sorry you don't think so but PvP is a part of this game and has as much a right to be addressed as PvE
yes, it DOES have a right to be addressed, but until they split PvP from PvE, and visa versa, there's no easy solution. While KI has a long history of TRYING to fix PvP, they cant seem to ACTUALLY fix it. Every fix they've tried to do, in the past few years, seems to cause more problems. Im basing this off of comments people actually make, not an assumption of how PvP works. You wanna PvP, awesome. you want PvP fixed? Awesome again, but dont break PvE because PvP needs to be fixed. You and i agree, by a post of yours above, that PvP and PvE should be split, and until that happens, Im afraid PvP will NEVER be fixed properly.

Champion
Mar 28, 2010

3) no one uses bad juju in PVE and no one would care if it was nerfed, it would only help pvp players and PVE would remain unaffected (besides, who cares if a spell breaks PVE or something, it's limited and easy)

Lvl 110
Lvl 103
Lvl 27

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
Eric Stormbringer on May 19, 2016 wrote:

I agree, I think PvP should be focused on more than PVE. Or they can do what Pirate101 does which is change something in pvp but keep it unnerfed in PVE like they did with the Moo Manchu robe.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Adam Wintersinger on May 19, 2016 wrote:
3) no one uses bad juju in PVE and no one would care if it was nerfed, it would only help pvp players and PVE would remain unaffected (besides, who cares if a spell breaks PVE or something, it's limited and easy)

Lvl 110
Lvl 103
Lvl 27
so you've watched every single PvE death school player run their wizard from the time they get BJJ till max and can show, beyond a shadow of a doubt that nobody uses it? Good, let's see the proof. I LOVE your last line, which proves the elitism of PvP players.... "who cares if it breaks PvE". I'm done debating this thread

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
dayerider on May 20, 2016 wrote:
so you've watched every single PvE death school player run their wizard from the time they get BJJ till max and can show, beyond a shadow of a doubt that nobody uses it? Good, let's see the proof. I LOVE your last line, which proves the elitism of PvP players.... "who cares if it breaks PvE". I'm done debating this thread
Why would you use bad juju first of all? It serves very little purpose of you are trying to hit and will get in the way more than it will help. It's true that you can use it in bosses like that one boss or uh wait let me think. NOTHING. I have probably never used this spell before or seen it used before in PVE and probably never will, (it probably can serve a purpose in a boss but isn't necessary). On to the next point, spells that break PVE. This already exists with glow bug squall, either it's on your team and demolishes everything or its on the opposite team and one hits you. I have been killed by glow bug squall several times, especially with the new system. But do people care that bugs does too much damage? No. And why care anyway? It just makes the game easier and that's what most people want out of PVE.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
dayerider on May 19, 2016 wrote:
and yet, when I suggested that cards act differently in PvP and PvE, i get jumped on, because "no, they should not ever act differently". A PERFECT example of this is another death school spell, Lord of Night. The healing debuff is POINTLESS in PvE, yet makes more sense in PvP. i've argued that in MOST cases, monsters juts dont heal themselves so this after effect is useless, yet when I suggested that it remain the same for PvP (healing debuff) and maybe do a weakness in PvE, I got jumped on for being ridiculous, and not having a good grasp of how the game works. I asked for, exactly what you are now suggesting, and that wasnt "good enough" for PvPers (who responded negatively). Mind you, I am not saying YOU said that.
Then stand up for your arguments-support them. If you made a thread asking for a separation of PvP and PvE mechanics I would undoubtedly support you as long as I agreed with the details of implementation. There are many in both communities(PvP and PvE) without a clear understanding of the situation they are debating on and believe me I am not afraid of confrontation.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
maybe YOU are not, but I have seen, on these forums, OTHER PvPers saying that they dominate the spending and without it, the game would go bankrupt. I am merely repeating the comments others have said to me, which means that PvPers DO think that way. Im not bashing PvP because they play PvP, Im commenting on a community of people who feel they need to be MORE catered to than the rest, because they play a SIDE aspect of the game, that there's is more important, and that without their SIDE aspect of the game, the MAIN part of the game would die, based off of comments they have actually made
Yes without PvP Wizard 101 would take a huge hit and possibly die off. The same thing applies to no PvE updates. Both are important aspects of the game that need to be considered by upper management when they make spell and mechanic decisions.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
yes, it DOES have a right to be addressed, but until they split PvP from PvE, and visa versa, there's no easy solution. While KI has a long history of TRYING to fix PvP, they cant seem to ACTUALLY fix it. Every fix they've tried to do, in the past few years, seems to cause more problems. Im basing this off of comments people actually make, not an assumption of how PvP works. You wanna PvP, awesome. you want PvP fixed? Awesome again, but dont break PvE because PvP needs to be fixed. You and i agree, by a post of yours above, that PvP and PvE should be split, and until that happens, Im afraid PvP will NEVER be fixed properly.
100% agreed on a split. At one point I would have argued KI could balance both without splitting the mechanics but after several years of watching KI fail to do exactly that a split is the best decision they could make. It's not beyond their abilities either-they have successfully done it in Pirate 101 and you will notice the PvP and PvE communities there are not at each other's throats because of it.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Adam Wintersinger on May 19, 2016 wrote:
I agree, I think PvP should be focused on more than PVE. Or they can do what Pirate101 does which is change something in pvp but keep it unnerfed in PVE like they did with the Moo Manchu robe.
I would much prefer a split in the system that Pirate 101 accomplishes.

Survivor
Aug 17, 2012
wakaflame201 on May 15, 2016 wrote:

Thanks For Reading
1) An interesting thought would be making drains be affected by 50% of the user's incoming heal boost.

2) I disagree with that. Either you mean to say that the heal from the drain would be decreased, or that Death wizards should get a damage buff in addition to the heal reduction granted from Doom & Gloom, with the heal from drains remaining unaffected. With the former, that seems like more of a nerf to Death wizards. With the latter, that seems particularly overpowering to the Life school, of course I mean when at some point heals are worth anything again.

3) I somewhat disagree with this. I think a pet that came with variations of Death utilities that dealt Moon damage would be fine. However, being able to use those utilities freely while blade stacking is too much.

4) Animate is supposed to be reanimation (bringing things back from the dead), which is pretty relevant to Necromancy. As long as the 5 or 6 pip minions became their own card, I wouldn't mind seeing that spell go. An X pip drain would be underpowered, I prefer the X pip AoE Feint suggestion.

5) Don't forget that Winged Sorrow's weakness effect is AoE. Changing it to 40% seems fair, to be equal with Virulent Plague. Agree that some of Death's other spells are underwhelming and could use an additional effect.

6) Agreed.

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
I just realized the #6 is already in pirate101 LOL