Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Day and Night Cycle?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 06, 2011
Hello everyone just had a idea that might add immersive feel to the game, i was thinking along the lines of
a Real Time Day and Night cycle to the game, a lot of games have them now so why not Wizard101?

Let me know what you guys think about this, its possible a lot of player houses already have a day or night just not
a cycle.

Delver
Dec 18, 2011
Jeremy DragonDream... on Apr 20, 2017 wrote:
Hello everyone just had a idea that might add immersive feel to the game, i was thinking along the lines of
a Real Time Day and Night cycle to the game, a lot of games have them now so why not Wizard101?

Let me know what you guys think about this, its possible a lot of player houses already have a day or night just not
a cycle.
Well that might work but it would just be one time zone. Say its 12:00 est (New York) the sun would be in the middle of the sky. But its also 9:00 pt (Pacific time/west of the US) which means the sun would be half way up the sky, and about 17:00 gmt (Britain) which is far down in the sky.

So unless its client side rather than server side it wont work being real time as the map would confuse people if its not their time zone.

A way around this would be if W101 had their own "time" machanic like other games i.e. Minecraft (where 10 mins IRL is 24 hours in game). Say Wizard had 1 hour IRL was one day in game then the day/night cycle would work

Ryan WindHunter lvl 102

Explorer
Jul 18, 2014
Defender
Jun 06, 2009
Its a good idea but it may ruin the atmosphere of worlds like Marleybone and Grizzleheim. Marlybone is meant to feel like the underground night gangs and Grizzlehiem is basically a winter night due to it being modeled after Nordic culture and areas

Explorer
Apr 15, 2017
Just have it go based on your local time zone (determined by IP, or maybe just computer time zone)? So people in Europe aren't forced to play only during the day.

Just, if this is added have it be just for looks.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Marleybone being night is one of the reasons I didn't like it and got through it as fast as possible. If something like this were added, I would not be playing in any world that was in night mode so I would not be playing at night in my own time zone.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I like the perpetual daylight.

If they added this as an option it would be OK.

I don't want it imposed on me.

Some people have reversed schedules in real life for work or other reasons. So they are up at night. It's nice for them to get some virtual daylight and feel like they are living on normal time even if it is in a game.

Again as an optional setting it would be fine. Like others have said it could be set up by time zone. I don't know if it would add too much new coding or bloat to the game. One thing I like is the game has no lag in it, I've very rarely seen the game even stall. I don't think that would be the case but I'm not a code person.

Explorer
Jul 16, 2016
Survivor
Apr 06, 2011
The Wyrm on Apr 20, 2017 wrote:
Its a good idea but it may ruin the atmosphere of worlds like Marleybone and Grizzleheim. Marlybone is meant to feel like the underground night gangs and Grizzlehiem is basically a winter night due to it being modeled after Nordic culture and areas
Was thinking for commons or wizard city big areas were everyone chills. Plus I think ki can make night sky's
a whole lot better now if you look at some player houses like evergreens house that had a really beautiful sky and the darkmoor manor is another good example. For sunset the mirage house bundle is a good example for sunset.

Survivor
Apr 06, 2011
SparkleTude on Apr 21, 2017 wrote:
I like the perpetual daylight.

If they added this as an option it would be OK.

I don't want it imposed on me.

Some people have reversed schedules in real life for work or other reasons. So they are up at night. It's nice for them to get some virtual daylight and feel like they are living on normal time even if it is in a game.

Again as an optional setting it would be fine. Like others have said it could be set up by time zone. I don't know if it would add too much new coding or bloat to the game. One thing I like is the game has no lag in it, I've very rarely seen the game even stall. I don't think that would be the case but I'm not a code person.
Sure that be a good idea to add onto it option to turn on or off.

Survivor
Apr 06, 2011
KKingler on Apr 21, 2017 wrote:
Just have it go based on your local time zone (determined by IP, or maybe just computer time zone)? So people in Europe aren't forced to play only during the day.

Just, if this is added have it be just for looks.
Kinda what I had in mind so it wouldn't ruin other time zones and ruin immersion.

Survivor
Apr 06, 2011
RYAN DEATHSTORM on Apr 20, 2017 wrote:
Well that might work but it would just be one time zone. Say its 12:00 est (New York) the sun would be in the middle of the sky. But its also 9:00 pt (Pacific time/west of the US) which means the sun would be half way up the sky, and about 17:00 gmt (Britain) which is far down in the sky.

So unless its client side rather than server side it wont work being real time as the map would confuse people if its not their time zone.

A way around this would be if W101 had their own "time" machanic like other games i.e. Minecraft (where 10 mins IRL is 24 hours in game). Say Wizard had 1 hour IRL was one day in game then the day/night cycle would work

Ryan WindHunter lvl 102
Even if it's a sever slide pretty sure they can add it anyways with coding.