Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Customizable Sign Option Request! (and possible Signs Upgrade?)

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 23, 2014
Hello! I have been a passionate house decorator for many years now and one of the biggest problems I have faced is the Customizable Signs, which are more like personalizable, but I digress.

I have always wanted to be able to put the name of any location on a sign (in the same way how you can access Locations from Menu Chat).

At that point though, adding that entire section the signs would be huge. Perhaps there could be an option within the signs for "Menu Chat Options" or something, which can show all the different Menu Chat options available. If you're wondering why/how this would be useful, in Castle Magic there are Magic Text Detectors for detecting a Menu Chat Phrase of your choice.

While I have the ability through Page 1 of the Castle Magic options on the signs to write the phrase "Say the Magic Word," I do not have the ability to put the actual Magic Word from Menu Chat (in this instance "The Arena", from Wizard City). Otherwise, guests have to guess the Magic Word if I am not around, which is definitely upsetting.

To expand on this idea further, if you were to implement an entire section of the sign options dedicated to the different Menu Chat sections/phrases, perhaps the signs could be reworked to act similarly to Menu/Text/Open Chat filters, which would be phenomenal. I know this has been suggested MANY times, but I have thought this out a lot, so please don't dismiss it totally:

- Add option to signs "Custom Phrase" (with a character limit and no red text permitted obviously)
- Prompt/Modal GUI appears, it informs the House owner that signs containing any yellow phrases will be visible only to Open Chat players (other players would see "Welcome to my Castle!"). Any white phrases will be visible only to Open and Text Chat players (Menu Chat players would see "Welcome to my Castle!" unless the phrase is exactly from Menu Chat and just written in Custom Phrase, similar to writing Menu Chat phrases in-game using Text Chat). All other phrases (from the options) would be seen by everyone. Below this information is the paragraph box for entering text and a submit button. When you click submit, it tells you that abuse of signs can result in the same violations as abuse of text chat and removal of the sign and provides the options "Agree" or "Edit".

Now if a guest who is actually able to see the text written on the sign notices the sign is abusive in some manner, they can left click the sign and there is a Report Abuse option (when you click the sign, the tiny GUI is similar to if you were to click an item from the "Place Object" mode, but with the Report button from the friends/playercard GUI, which then prompts the same Report Form GUI you'd get for reporting a player). Perhaps if these reports are seen as excessive by KI, there could also be a report threshold for a House Owner. If there is more than X number of unique reports on said any of a House Owner's signs from unique guests, set all signs to "Welcome to my Castle!", remove the House Owner's Custom Phrase sign privileges and then inform the House Owner with a GUI until KI can investigate and make a further/permanent decision.

I hope that covers all the bases necessary, even though I know it will not be as easy to implement this as it is to explain it how I did above. I hope this can put many passionate house decorators like myself at ease. This has easily been one of the biggest changes I've wanted to see in housing for a while now. If you read all the way through, thank you very much. If you have anything to add onto this, please leave a reply, I'd love to discuss this more with anyone.

P.S. Arthur Wethersfield is my hero.. thank you

Delver
Mar 30, 2014
This would be awesome. One of the difficulties in making interactive houses is communicating with house visitors. If they don't understand/figure out what the "magic word" is meant to be, it all falls apart.

I think the system the OP proposed would be simpler and sufficient just to allow menu and text chat options on a sign and not worry about open chat. That would still be an incredible upgrade over what we have now and would simplify the filtering. While there are always going to be some communication issues in the game with menu chatters, I personally would want my signs to be readable by text chat players and it should be sufficient to convey our thoughts. In the case of menu chat players, though, it would be nice to be able to specify what menu chat phrase should substitute for the text chat phrase rather than just substituting "welcome to my castle".