Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Critical/Block system broken.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 21, 2011
Hello all!

In my opinion, the critical/block system is broken. My Storm, with 544 critical, was constantly blocked by someone with less than 150 block.

Kingsisle released a statement saying that you "cannot critical on someone with higher block than you"
Kingsisle also released a statement saying that "critical is based on percentage"

If the critical/block system is based on percentage, that means that if I have 100 crit. and you have 150 block, I can still have a critical attack on you. As long as the block is not at 100%, there is still a small chance for me to crit. and you not block.

But if you can't critical on someone with higher block than you, then how is it based on percentages?

If I bought one raffle ticket, and my friend bought five raffle tickets, based on percentages my friend has a higher chance of winning than me. But with percentages, it is still possible for me to win, just less likely. According to Kisngsisle's explanation of the critical/block system, if we apply it to this situation, I cannot win the raffle because my friend has a higher chance than I do.

I hope this makes sense, and I'm not trying to call Kingsisle or the Wizard101 team out directly, I'm just trying to call attention to this problem. The whole system should be rethought and worked out again, and also, with all of the new worlds, will we ever be able to have a critical on bosses?

It seems to me that the bosses must have 100% block, because I myself have never seen anyone crit. on a boss. It's a little frustrating that they give us gear with crazy crit. yet we can never crit. on bosses.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Check the duelist101 pages on criticals and critical blocks for mechanics questions.

Did you have a suggestion or an idea in this thread though?

Because I do.

KI should get rid of this weird rating statistic altogether to prevent confusion, just replace it with a percentage like all of us are doing in our heads anyway. Having a critical rating system makes no sense if there is a percentage rating right next to it. It makes the weird rating system completely unnecessary.

I mean, no one ever thought to create a new, abstract system for "power pip rating." That would have been lunacy. Power pip percentage was easy to understand, straightforward, no cloak & dagger mathematics.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
BaileyOliviaWizard... on Jun 25, 2014 wrote:
Hello all!

In my opinion, the critical/block system is broken. My Storm, with 544 critical, was constantly blocked by someone with less than 150 block.

Kingsisle released a statement saying that you "cannot critical on someone with higher block than you"
Kingsisle also released a statement saying that "critical is based on percentage"

If the critical/block system is based on percentage, that means that if I have 100 crit. and you have 150 block, I can still have a critical attack on you. As long as the block is not at 100%, there is still a small chance for me to crit. and you not block.

But if you can't critical on someone with higher block than you, then how is it based on percentages?

If I bought one raffle ticket, and my friend bought five raffle tickets, based on percentages my friend has a higher chance of winning than me. But with percentages, it is still possible for me to win, just less likely. According to Kisngsisle's explanation of the critical/block system, if we apply it to this situation, I cannot win the raffle because my friend has a higher chance than I do.

I hope this makes sense, and I'm not trying to call Kingsisle or the Wizard101 team out directly, I'm just trying to call attention to this problem. The whole system should be rethought and worked out again, and also, with all of the new worlds, will we ever be able to have a critical on bosses?

It seems to me that the bosses must have 100% block, because I myself have never seen anyone crit. on a boss. It's a little frustrating that they give us gear with crazy crit. yet we can never crit. on bosses.
here's the thing, monsters use totally different stats than we do. That's the way KI has made it. They get spells before we do, more starting pips, more health, etc. The way they "keep it fair" is to simply stack more in the favor of the monsters. This is NOT unbeatable, just annoying. That being said, I was once in your shoes, and stopped going for critical hit and went more for block. once I did that, I noticed that *I* block 95% of their critical hits. if mine goes critical and gets thru, it's an added bonus.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
You clearly don't understand how the critical system works. It makes sense if you properly understand it. I suggest you read more about it before pronouncing it broken.

http://www.duelist101.com/news/battle-points-critical-formula-revealed/

http://www.duelist101.com/wizard101-pvp-guides-2/general-pvp-guides/wizard101-critical-theory-works/

http://www.duelist101.com/news/site-news/wizard101-critical-calculator/

Those links will explain a lot more about criticals and blocks, how they are calculated and how they work together.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Hello all!

Please place PvP stuff under that category. This has nothing to do with actual game play.

thank you

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
It isn't broken, but most players don't understand it and many try to rely on it too much.

If your crit is higher than your opponent's block you might land it or not. The chance is based on the difference in %. If they have higher block you can't crit them. So critical is a variable in PvP, as it should be.

Forget about critical for bosses past CL. Stay with basics -- damage, resist, accuracy, pips. Critical works very well for easier enemies in PvE. It can make farming and mob quests faster, but it isn't a good idea to give up basic stats because it doesn't always work.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
RavenLady777 on Jun 25, 2014 wrote:
Please place PvP stuff under that category. This has nothing to do with actual game play.

thank you
Critical and block does not exist only in PvP and furthermore bosses do not exist in PvP. This is a valid mechanics question and thus was placed in the correct location.

Explorer
Jun 08, 2012
Lucas Rain on Jun 25, 2014 wrote:
Check the duelist101 pages on criticals and critical blocks for mechanics questions.

Did you have a suggestion or an idea in this thread though?

Because I do.

KI should get rid of this weird rating statistic altogether to prevent confusion, just replace it with a percentage like all of us are doing in our heads anyway. Having a critical rating system makes no sense if there is a percentage rating right next to it. It makes the weird rating system completely unnecessary.

I mean, no one ever thought to create a new, abstract system for "power pip rating." That would have been lunacy. Power pip percentage was easy to understand, straightforward, no cloak & dagger mathematics.
They couldn't do that. Your critical chance changes as you level. So if you have 10 critical that only gives a level 70 1% critical chance. If you're a level 3 it'll give you 4% critical chance. See?(I made up the percentage, but this is how critical chance works, the higher the level the less the critical is worth).

Explorer
Jun 08, 2012
You haven't been able to critical on a boss? Or see someone else critical on one? That's strange my friend has 567 storm critical hits the bosses pretty much every time(Khrysalis bosses). I only hit a boss with my critical once in Khrysalis(he's a Ice with 300 critical, so it's not much).

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Shayden181 on Jun 27, 2014 wrote:
They couldn't do that. Your critical chance changes as you level. So if you have 10 critical that only gives a level 70 1% critical chance. If you're a level 3 it'll give you 4% critical chance. See?(I made up the percentage, but this is how critical chance works, the higher the level the less the critical is worth).
I notice that you still expressed critical in terms of a percentage and not a rating. This illustrates my point perfectly.

It's the same math used to calculate a percentage, regardless of whether or not it changes according to level. The rating figure is meaningless though, no one knows what it means. Everyone knows what a percentage means.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Hello all!

The chance of landing an unblocked critical hit on a target is TheirBlock%/YourCrit%. As long as your opponent has any critical block, they are capable of blocking your critical. Furthermore, an equal amount of block rating will give a higher percent block than an equal amount of critical rating because it is penalized less as you level up.

Defender
Mar 13, 2014
I've never been terribly interested in critical rating. I like to defeat enemies with a single attack, the chance basis of critical messes that up. If I stack enough modifiers to defeat the enemy with a normal attack, critical is wasted. If I count on critical and it fails, I only did half as much damage as I needed to. Relying on critical just amounts to accepting a random chance of failure. I far prefer to acquire gear with higher base damage bonus over gear with a high critical.

Critical block is a different story. Blocking critical attacks is very helpful in reducing the rate at which you accumulate damage in PvE.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
DanTheTerrible2 on Jun 29, 2014 wrote:
I've never been terribly interested in critical rating. I like to defeat enemies with a single attack, the chance basis of critical messes that up. If I stack enough modifiers to defeat the enemy with a normal attack, critical is wasted. If I count on critical and it fails, I only did half as much damage as I needed to. Relying on critical just amounts to accepting a random chance of failure. I far prefer to acquire gear with higher base damage bonus over gear with a high critical.

Critical block is a different story. Blocking critical attacks is very helpful in reducing the rate at which you accumulate damage in PvE.
I agree, with the exception of spamming attacks when farming. High crit against targets with low block can speed up grinding since the odds are in your favor. For high level enemies you are exactly right - a sure one hit kill is much better than gambling on landing a crit.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Prince of Shadows on Jun 30, 2014 wrote:
I agree, with the exception of spamming attacks when farming. High crit against targets with low block can speed up grinding since the odds are in your favor. For high level enemies you are exactly right - a sure one hit kill is much better than gambling on landing a crit.
Most definitely. I rely on critical for things like farming Savarstaad Pass for Couch Potato seeds. But for real battles, my critical is just a backup in case they shield. Blade and trap for a kill assuming critical will not hit or will be blocked and you never lose.