Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

craftable alternative to darkmoor gear.

AuthorMessage
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
...because i'm burnt out after spending 8 months trying to get my gear (hey, i was on medical leave from work and had nothing else to do) and have farmed there so many times that, even after avoiding it for 3 weeks, i could still play through it in my sleep.

(that, and farming is a complete and utter waste of what little free time i have)

like many of the players on these boards, i am an adult with a full-time job, a relationship, and personal obligations. i don't have time to farm for months or years; i prefer tangible rewards, and anything else is a waste of time.

someone made a post earlier about using low-tier junk to craft the level 100 elite gear. i can get behind that, as well as a completely unrelated craftable alternative with stats worth the time and reagents needed. i don't care if i need 1000 amber (or something equally-ridiculous, as long as it doesn't involve fishing) to do it; if the gear is worth it, i will craft it because it's guaranteed that i will get something at the end/that my time isn't completely wasted.

if i could combine low-tier junk with the 4 pages of gold keys currently collecting dust in my shared bank to get something worth using, i'd do it in a heartbeat.

-von

Explorer
Jan 12, 2013
Have you tried crafting the gear from Sardonyx, in Khrysalis? While they are not quite as good as Malistaire's (mostly because of the lack of pip chance), I still prefer my fire's crafted hat to malistaire's.

Defender
Feb 08, 2009
I like this idea but you can also just farm Ultra dungeons. (They are much easier)

Krokopatra - Hat (Dropped from Jade Oni)
Rattlebones - Robe (Dropped from Jade Oni or Rattlebones, Unicorn Way)
Meowiarty - Boots (Dropped from Jade Oni)
Zeus - Wand (Dropped from Jade Oni)

(If you do have a lot of crowns I would suggested trying for the Terrors Hoard pack wand).

Explorer
Jul 24, 2010
Do what Cass Moonheart said. The dropped gear from the ultra dungeons are great substitutes for the Darkmoor gear. Fight Krokopatra for the hat, Ratttlebones for the robe, and Meowiarty for the boots.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
thank you all for the suggestions.

@steven, my storm and death wizards are already in waterworks/kh crafted combos (the boots are awesome for both of them), but my main wizard is balance and doesn't benefit from crafted gear at all.

@boom and cass, i don't have crowns at the moment, or anyone to go with (since my closest friends have all left for other games). but that sounds like a slightly-better/less time-consuming alternative.

(is team up an option for these? or, if one of you wants to join me when i have crowns again, we can definitely make plans to meet in-game)

-von

Survivor
May 01, 2010
@Dr. Von - First of all, I agree with this post so much I wish these forums had a 'like' button so I could press it about a billion times. I've personally given up on Darkbore - after farming for over four months, I'm happy with just my robe, noob stats or not, if I can avoid the endless headache that comes with it.

If it helps you any, these one shot "Ultra Dungeons" drop rather easily from their regular counterparts (Rattlebones, Meowiarty, etc.). They also drop from dungeons such as Mirror Lake and the Jade Oni. You can't use Team Up with them, however, since you can only use them once at the players' home.

Seeing as all of my friends have also moved on from the game and I have several of these dungeons, I would be happy to meet you and anyone else who wants to come in-game to use them, when you have the time of course.

- Exalted storm who's sick and tired of farming Darkbore, particularly Shane von Pain

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Leviathan 90 on Aug 5, 2015 wrote:
@Dr. Von - First of all, I agree with this post so much I wish these forums had a 'like' button so I could press it about a billion times. I've personally given up on Darkbore - after farming for over four months, I'm happy with just my robe, noob stats or not, if I can avoid the endless headache that comes with it.

If it helps you any, these one shot "Ultra Dungeons" drop rather easily from their regular counterparts (Rattlebones, Meowiarty, etc.). They also drop from dungeons such as Mirror Lake and the Jade Oni. You can't use Team Up with them, however, since you can only use them once at the players' home.

Seeing as all of my friends have also moved on from the game and I have several of these dungeons, I would be happy to meet you and anyone else who wants to come in-game to use them, when you have the time of course.

- Exalted storm who's sick and tired of farming Darkbore, particularly Shane von Pain
yes, they do. i found that out yesterday morning (a very-short time after replying to this post, actually).

just for giggles, i paid rattlebones a visit... and i ended up with a bunch of exalted dungeons. that still doesn't solve my no-one-to-go-with problem, though you (and the others) are definitely welcome. i would love to meet up with you in-game, so hopefully we can work something out.

(my days off change, but i'm usually around between 1-6 am atlantic time~ hopefully sometime in there works for you)

i wanted to love castle dread-more. i really did... it's one of my favourites, in terms of music/story/art (and, well, maistaire). but i am just so tired of it~ some people must steer clear of cute fuzzy animals, and others must avoid annoying cheaty instances.

(dear malistaire~ even you couldn't redeem this awful dungeon; please accept this fish-paste cupcake as a token of my apologies)

-von

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
Dr Von on Aug 6, 2015 wrote:
yes, they do. i found that out yesterday morning (a very-short time after replying to this post, actually).

just for giggles, i paid rattlebones a visit... and i ended up with a bunch of exalted dungeons. that still doesn't solve my no-one-to-go-with problem, though you (and the others) are definitely welcome. i would love to meet up with you in-game, so hopefully we can work something out.

(my days off change, but i'm usually around between 1-6 am atlantic time~ hopefully sometime in there works for you)

i wanted to love castle dread-more. i really did... it's one of my favourites, in terms of music/story/art (and, well, maistaire). but i am just so tired of it~ some people must steer clear of cute fuzzy animals, and others must avoid annoying cheaty instances.

(dear malistaire~ even you couldn't redeem this awful dungeon; please accept this fish-paste cupcake as a token of my apologies)

-von
I work "non-traditional" hours myself. When I'm working its usually 8A-7P EDT, but I don't usually work M-F.

I've got three Exalted all with gear. My Fire, unfortunately doesn't have enough damage to be the main hitter, but Life & Death can play full support to any school, and both have enough outgoing to serve as a healer.

We should meet up. You, one of them and we find a Storm or a high damage Myth and we wouldn't really need a fourth, although it wouldn't hurt either. Or, if we find a Life or Death, Paige can go second hitter.

Is there a PM feature on this board? We can make a schedule.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
Let's be honest, Darkmoor has done it's job. It's given the developers time to create the new world. For fans of the game, some have been invigorated, some have been frustrated, and others have just up and left. But I don't see a lot of people pestering KI about hurrying up with the new world.

Once the new world is released, it's possible that KI will try to come up with some sort of peace offering to the people who Darkmoor just didn't quite work for. I'm guessing that's the soonest anything of this nature is going to come about though.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
PaigeGoldenspear on Aug 6, 2015 wrote:
I work "non-traditional" hours myself. When I'm working its usually 8A-7P EDT, but I don't usually work M-F.

I've got three Exalted all with gear. My Fire, unfortunately doesn't have enough damage to be the main hitter, but Life & Death can play full support to any school, and both have enough outgoing to serve as a healer.

We should meet up. You, one of them and we find a Storm or a high damage Myth and we wouldn't really need a fourth, although it wouldn't hurt either. Or, if we find a Life or Death, Paige can go second hitter.

Is there a PM feature on this board? We can make a schedule.
works for me... i have 3 exalted wizards as well (balance, storm, and death), so we can mix and match, maybe?

they all have good gear, though balance easily has the best stats. she has somehow managed to acquire everything but her boots; storm also has solid defensive stats (ridiculously high damage, though i had to forego critical in favour of high resist and block), and death... well, he's death.

there is no pm feature on this site, but wizard101central has a messaging system. it's free to make an account and all posts/messages are in real time (no waiting for mod approval). i haven't logged into my central account in ages, but i will if i know that you will be dropping by.

hope to meet you (and the others as well!) in-game!

-von
(central name is Von Shadowsong)

Survivor
May 01, 2010
I have a Central account that I used for about a week, but I'm sure I can recover the password for it and begin posting again. I live on the East Coast and have a somewhat flexible schedule.

Unfortunately, the only Exalted character I have at the moment is a storm. If you don't mind having one with 99 damage and rather bad critical, I would be happy to sort something out with you, Paige, and others so we can make a schedule to meet in-game. If you would prefer taking other people in favor of me, I would still be happy to let you use my house and the dungeons that I have.

Happy questing!
- Leviathan 90

Delver
Aug 31, 2012
Cass MoonHeart on Aug 4, 2015 wrote:
I like this idea but you can also just farm Ultra dungeons. (They are much easier)

Krokopatra - Hat (Dropped from Jade Oni)
Rattlebones - Robe (Dropped from Jade Oni or Rattlebones, Unicorn Way)
Meowiarty - Boots (Dropped from Jade Oni)
Zeus - Wand (Dropped from Jade Oni)

(If you do have a lot of crowns I would suggested trying for the Terrors Hoard pack wand).
The boots from Meowiarty and the wand from Zeus aren't as good as Darkmoor's boots and hat.
I've also heard that the storm gear from ultra dungeons are worse than Darkmoor storm gear. So Von, I don't recommend farming ultra dungeons on your storm wizard.
Also, a lot of people have ultra dungeons so you don't have to get them yourself unless you're desperate for the gear. If you don't have the crowns for Jade Oni, Rattlebones drops his own ultra dungeon.