Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Character redesign/Makeover

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 11, 2012
My suggestion is for KingsIsle to implement a feature that would allow people to redesign their character's base appearance, including gender, potentially for the purchase of crowns.

The way I could see this being implemented is either through a potion/item in the crown shop, similar to the recent addition of the level 50 character boost, or there could be a "Makeover Mage" somewhere in-game who, for the small (large) price of X amount of crowns, would cast a spell that alters the appearance of your character. I think it could also be fun if KingsIsle were to explore the lore within character creation; "My vision is failing me, are you a boy, or a girl?" and, "now that we know what you are, what do you look like?"
Perhaps the crown shop item could be called "Merle's Missing Monocle", and he could say something like "Oh goodness me! I apologize for confusing you with someone else, young wizard."

The argument for appearance is that many people have older accounts, with their main wizard having been designed a long time ago. As a result of this, people have faces, hairstyles, and hair colors that they're unhappy with and would like to change. I understand that KingsIsle probably came out with wigs to help remedy this issue, but unfortunately hats & wigs are the same item slot, so people can not wear their favorite hat if they wish to change their hair, and this also doesn't address the issue with faces.

The argument for gender parallels the argument for appearance; people, including myself, have made & leveled characters of the opposite gender for a myriad reasons, and would strongly prefer to have their main wizard reflect their real-life self instead of a character they created.

Expanding upon gender, I can see arguments against it - KingsIsle doesn't want people going back and forth and confusing their friends/the game, but many games have gender changing features, including one of the most popular MMORPGs of all time, so I think it's a bit of a non-argument. Additionally, they could put a restriction on how many times you can use the potion/item, so that you can only do it once per character or once per 6, 9, 12, or 24 months.

I think these two things could drastically improve the game for a large minority of players, as well as elevating Wizard101 to be on the same level as it's strongest competitors in the gaming industry.

Thank you for listening to my suggestion, if you would like to share your thoughts I only ask that you post constructive replies. (I don't mind disagreement! Just be smart about it)

Nicole Blood, 100

Survivor
Apr 02, 2017
I absolutely love this idea. I wasn't thinking I was going to get too far into the game when I first made my life, and a year later, I have noticed that I obviously wasn't paying too much attention to character design. I'd love if KI would implement this into the game. I'm sure a lot of people are itching for a new look.
X

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
This topic has been posted about too many times to count; many agree (myself included) that when new to the game I didn't know I would be stuck with the looks I chose.

Allowing wizards to endlessly polymorph could cause friend list problems, trolling issues, mass confusion?

Maybe a One Time option (for crowns, like buying back training points) at a certain level would be a good compromise. I'm all for That.