Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Castle Magic - "Invisible Fence" and "Wishing Well"

AuthorMessage
Defender
Aug 20, 2008
Suggestion - A "fence" that is essentially the opposite of a bread crumb. That is, you drop a bunch of "fence posts" and connect them together, and then instead of assigning pets to follow the path, you assign pets that are repelled by the path. Instead of moving toward a "fence post", they move away from it. The default setting being that ALL pets/mounts/house guests are repelled by a "fence post". If you wanted to get fancy, you could add an ignore list to a fence post, or allow them to be toggled on/off. If you got really fancy, a "fence post" might have an arrow that allows you to influence the "repel vector".

Pets could then move freely inside (or outside) of the fenced-in area but would stay outside or inside of it.

I realize that's way more programming work than a bread crumb. :-)

Defender
Aug 20, 2008
Rather than start another thread about Castle Magic - I have a second Castle Magic suggestion.

Flying pets should be able to "fly" when tracking between bread crumbs. That is, if a bread crumb is placed in the air, the pet should fly up or down to it.

Testing today, it didn't matter where the bread crumbs were placed, my pet bird always flew at ground level.

I'm suggesting this because it appears that the game already know which pets are "fliers" - when I fight a battle, my night hawk hovers at shoulder level. My watcher hovers at waist level which suggestss that there are actually two classes of "fliers".

So, even if it was just that a "flier" pet flies only at the level it flies during battle that would be an iimprovement over "flying" at ankle level.

Defender
Aug 20, 2008
If I put a game or puzzle in my castle using Castle Magic, I'd like to reward a visitor for interacting with my creation.

It seems there are a LOT of castles these days that have "wishing well" types of effects in them. (Admittedly, some of these seem to be retired now.)

How about figuring out the average "value" of such a feature and selling an item or a Castle Magic treasure card in the crown shop that lets a similar reward be awarded to "nearest player" or "all players" or something similar?

Heck, sell a special Castle Magic wand in the crown shop as well and require the special CM wand as a trigger for the reward, so that if people think they're going to exploit the reward system, at least they'll be paying KI for the privilege.

I shouldn't need to point out that such a system would also lend itself to more generic holiday events like a Halloween candy bucket "wand" that you take with you on castle tours to "trick or treat" and receive treats at the castles you visit.

Defender
Aug 20, 2008
Another suggestion which I'll again keep in a single thread for the sake of avoiding clutter in the forum: More signs and castle magic menu chat.

Right now, the customizable signs seem to be pretty specifically geared towards giving clues in a maze. What would be useful would be some more generic "game-related" signs: "You win!" "Nice try!" "Try again!" Generic digits that could act as a scoreboard.Arrows pointing in a particular direction. And while I do see things like the word "Jump", what might be clever would be "doodle" signs show the action of jumping, or pushing a button, or such.

It's terribly difficult to give instructions and something like a "quest" is next-to-impossible.

The real issue with Castle Magic at the moment is that there's simply no way to communicate with the player/visitor and the player's ability to communicate via menu chat to a Magic Text detector is likewise hamstrung by the lack of game/quest-related phrases.

I get why we can't just write our own game dialog (annoying as that limitation feels) but even silent movies had dialog cards to tell the audience what was going on. If we have to stick to menu chat, then in my opinion we need more options for just what we can communicate using menu chat.

Defender
Aug 20, 2008
So, adding to the wishlist for Castle Magic - The monstrodome is apparently incompatible with the "Activate press X to interact" spell. If it COULD be compatible, that would solve some issues with trying to tell a story that leads to a battle as the resolution.

There are probably good reasons for the incompatibility but it would be neat if it worked.