Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Card Slots for pets!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 16, 2012
Ah, one of the age old problems, it seems, in wizard is: Having a pet that looks good with good cards. It hurts to see a awesome looking pet that'a virtually unusable in many cases because it has no cards or 'bad' cards. Many suggest stitching but that'd be hard to explain cannonly. (Though, it would be the easiest solution.)

As someone who comes from Pirate originally, where literally any pet there can be good due to the lack of set cards, I'd really like to see that for Wizard pets. However, seeing as I have a max wizard and near max as of writing this, I know the importance of having certain cards. I wouldn't dare suggest taking cards off pets, and have a better idea instead.

Pets get 5 talent slots at Mega and many pets get their certain cards at certain level, such as baby, ancient, and epic typically. (Though, the newest school pets buck that trend.) What if, pets could get cards/spells the same as they could get talents? I know, I know, I can hear the anguished moans of hatchers from here to Mirage, but think about it. If you could make your perfect pet with the appearance you want and the cards/spells and talents you want!

If every pet got three card slots then every pet could be good. You can already get any talent on any pet, why not make it so any pet could get any pet card/spell? Yes, I know you can get card/spell grants via pet talents and star jewels, but who wants to take a talent slot or jewel slot up for a card/spell? I could see breeding down cards/spells the same as breeding down talents with them having a rarity system and being more likely to appear if both pets have them.

Explorer
Apr 10, 2013
RikkuTakanashi on Apr 8, 2017 wrote:
Ah, one of the age old problems, it seems, in wizard is: Having a pet that looks good with good cards. It hurts to see a awesome looking pet that'a virtually unusable in many cases because it has no cards or 'bad' cards. Many suggest stitching but that'd be hard to explain cannonly. (Though, it would be the easiest solution.)

As someone who comes from Pirate originally, where literally any pet there can be good due to the lack of set cards, I'd really like to see that for Wizard pets. However, seeing as I have a max wizard and near max as of writing this, I know the importance of having certain cards. I wouldn't dare suggest taking cards off pets, and have a better idea instead.

Pets get 5 talent slots at Mega and many pets get their certain cards at certain level, such as baby, ancient, and epic typically. (Though, the newest school pets buck that trend.) What if, pets could get cards/spells the same as they could get talents? I know, I know, I can hear the anguished moans of hatchers from here to Mirage, but think about it. If you could make your perfect pet with the appearance you want and the cards/spells and talents you want!

If every pet got three card slots then every pet could be good. You can already get any talent on any pet, why not make it so any pet could get any pet card/spell? Yes, I know you can get card/spell grants via pet talents and star jewels, but who wants to take a talent slot or jewel slot up for a card/spell? I could see breeding down cards/spells the same as breeding down talents with them having a rarity system and being more likely to appear if both pets have them.
Okay, let me make sure I am hearing you out right. So just like talents, you want there to be separate slots on every pet for the breeding and manifestation of cards. Here are my thoughts on this:

1. This is going to take a ridiculous large amount of time to get the "perfect" pet. As it stands getting the perfect pet with talents, jewels, and appearance is quite long. So adding on an entirely new set of slots would only double the time and luck needed to attain it currently. I know your probably aware of this, and by proposing this is states your willing to put in the time and effort to do this. I'm only saying, it's just making everything so much longer and painful.

2. I am keeping PvP and Tournaments in mind when I make this point. So getting a really good pet can win or lose you a game in PvP, when the other person hasn't put in the time to get one that's obvious. Now many people who like to play Wizard101, and more specifically PvP under these circumstances, barely have time to play, much less get a perfect pet. So by implementing this you are continuing to reward people who have a bunch of free timer verse those who are just plain out busy people, which is a little unfair when some people don't have a choice.

These are just my thoughts, nothing more, nothing less. I do applaud you for taking the time to really think this through though, you did a great job!

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
CX you made this because of the stitiching post i commented on

maybe, at mega and then again at ultra you can give the pet a treasure card and the treasure card would be converted into being an actual card you can use permanently....

Survivor
Mar 16, 2012
Those are good points, I do know how annoying it is to get what you need and how frustrating it is to not get what you need.

Cama made a good point with the TC, though I would think it'd need to replace one of the pet's existing cards. Plus, there's the issue of most pet spells are special versions you can't find TC of. But that does give me a idea.

Maybe instead of having breed in certain cards, you could get some kind of token or something which has a pet spell and after going to some npc, you could replace a existing spell or add a spell into one of their unused card slots.

I still like the idea of all pets having three card slots available to them because that gives every pet a chance to be good; but, say farming for some spell token you could give to your pet likely would be easier then hatching for a card. It still would require work, but it's not often that a newb, who want's to pvp or even pve, gets the perfect pet on their first hatch anyway. Most people with good pets have either spent lots of gold, time, and effort already to get them or they were very lucky and/or had good connections.

People already farm for pet jewels, why not these spell tokens? If they drop from many of the same bosses as jewels do, and you make the tokens a makable recipe like the elemental pet jewels I could see that being interesting.