Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Cantrips and Spellwriting

AuthorMessage
Champion
Nov 22, 2008
I'm too excited to say hello, so lets get to the meat of this idea.

Spellwriting is a wonderful thing. I'm glad its in the game because it makes the game more interesting. Since I've been hearing rumors of spellements becoming more accessible to Free-To-Play wizards, I'd like to propose a spellwriting concept to introduce it to new players. This would be a sidequest, given by any number of people, but I like the idea of Gamma giving it in Merle's tower. Gives us a reason to talk to him.

We would learn the basic cantrip, which could be useful at low levels, but wouldn't change things at higher levels. It, by default, does nothing and costs nothing. It is a spell for all schools. With spellwriting, a wizard may upgrade this spell according to their school (at first). Later, the cantrip could be rewritten to another school by the player if they had certain reagents, including Cantrip Spellements, which would be given to us when we learn Cantrip.

Here are my ideas for what cantrip could be for each school.

- Ice is a defensive school, so let's introduce people to that flavor. 50 flat absorb.
- Balance is a support school and is known for it's many blades. 50 flat damage blade.
- Death is revered for it's drains, but before level 5 players can't use them. 50 damage drain.
- Fire is supposed to be the DOT school, so let's lean into that. 75 damage over 3 rounds.
- Myth wizards are supposed to be about minions, and they get one at the end of unicorn way. Sacrifice a minion for 75 damage.
- Life wizards are all about healing, but I don't want to give them minor blessing, so... 75 heal over 3 rounds
- Storm wizards need accuracy early game. 5% accuracy blade.

I'm open to discussion about timing or what it should be, but I'd like to shine light on underutilized mechanics or give early game players more consistency in making it through and I'd like to have the game teach us how to spellwrite early on.