Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Bullying

2
AuthorMessage
Delver
Sep 20, 2009
275
DanielThunderFlame... wrote:
No. It is a problem on stuff like facebook, or texting. But on this game its not. It's impossible to make fun of someone for their looks, or race, or etc. Listen a person will call you a noob, and you call them a noob back, and thats it, you leave, or ignore it (Ignore button) Seriously, in my opinion, its just a game, and if you have to "bully"someone in a game, which is impossible i may add, its pretty sad.

So relax, 8)


May I remind you that nothing is impossible. Have you heard of something called cyberbullying? That's when you bully on the internet.

Survivor
Aug 12, 2011
5
Survivor
Aug 17, 2010
17
Remember that all they see is a young avatar through a screen. I am never offended by these people because they dont know who you really are so they are insulting a large cluster of pixels on a screen. and about noob i agree but all it means is newbie. it is offensive but its the only semi-insulting thing left to say unless you talk around the filter. I didn't mean to sound snobby at all so if i did dont be offended and remember; to them you are a group of pixels. Some people are just mean.

Destiny Ashstone
Theurgist Grandmaster
lvl 54

PS if you dont like what they say just ask why they are insulting a group of pixels!

Survivor
Jan 19, 2010
19
idk but i thought noob was short for new person and if i started a new online game and someone called me a noob i would agree mainly because noob means new person and thats what i was told. btw if people do pick on them ignore them or walk away. also just dont be insulted by the word noob i been called noob and other bad stuff all the time and i dont care mainly cause i do not loose anything or get injured if i get insulted. Hope no one bothers you though :)

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
403
DouDou123 wrote:
DanielThunderFlame... wrote:
No. It is a problem on stuff like facebook, or texting. But on this game its not. It's impossible to make fun of someone for their looks, or race, or etc. Listen a person will call you a noob, and you call them a noob back, and thats it, you leave, or ignore it (Ignore button) Seriously, in my opinion, its just a game, and if you have to "bully"someone in a game, which is impossible i may add, its pretty sad.

So relax, 8)


May I remind you that nothing is impossible. Have you heard of something called cyberbullying? That's when you bully on the internet.


Thats exactly what i'm talking about.... Read the post

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
403
froggurl wrote:
Remember that all they see is a young avatar through a screen. I am never offended by these people because they dont know who you really are so they are insulting a large cluster of pixels on a screen. and about noob i agree but all it means is newbie. it is offensive but its the only semi-insulting thing left to say unless you talk around the filter. I didn't mean to sound snobby at all so if i did dont be offended and remember; to them you are a group of pixels. Some people are just mean.

Destiny Ashstone
Theurgist Grandmaster
lvl 54

PS if you dont like what they say just ask why they are insulting a group of pixels!


Exactly.....

Survivor
Sep 10, 2009
22
DouDou123 wrote:
JinZah wrote:
DouDou123 wrote:
Bullying is a problem that poses to people in reality, imagination, and yes of course virtual interactions. Some "higher level wizards" think their better only because they are of higher level. Some higher level wizards and I'm not talking about all of them, I'm talking about some, call "lower level wizards," "noobs." I think that this word should be removed A.S.A.P. from the Wiz101 Dictionary. It poses rudeness problems as yes some lower levels might be "annoying" and "ruin your battles" but remember once you were also like them. You might've not "ruined other battles" or you were "annoying" but you were also lower level, and you might've been called "noob" also. But, that doesn't give rights for you to call other lower levels "noobs" after you've become higher in level status. I'm saying this because it's a problem, and I have seen wizards call others noobs. Today, I was watching a duel in the Arena, and I just said, "I'm falling!" Then, one of the battling wizards who were all Level 60 and above told me to be quite in a rude way and called me noob. Then, I said to him that he was being mean, then his friend started doing the same. Some of them said I was home less, I was grey (it was only my clothing color), and they also said I was "tuna boy" and said I smelled like tuna. In sense, I retaliated, but I realized it, of course, was no use, I reported them for being mean and rude. I think this should be taken into account. It's very bad for people to cyber-bully, since in reality, there is already bullying.
Thank You for your time. I hope you haven't had to face this predicament.
Please, Wiz101 Administrators take this in to account to improve the gaming experience with is already superb.
Ryan LotusGarden
Level 43 Balance Wizard (Master Sorcerer)
"Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog,
Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog,
Adder's Fork and Blind-worm's Sting,
Lizard's Leg and Owlet's Wing"


So what you are saying is that you're mad that a a team (or was it both teams?) of PVP players started trash talking you, after you went to a place you weren't invited, nor wanted, and started spewing random nonsense from the sidelines? Did it ever occur to you that maybe you were the one being rude first?

for now lets just leave aside that many PvP teams employ a "fifth man", who sits on the sidelines eaves dropping on the other teams to report who's casting what, pointing out who is what school, and relaying vital information such as resist/damage boost scores, ect. and focus on how you were being disruptive to the match. A PvP team only has 30 seconds to communicate with each other what cards they have, who's doing what, who needs shielding and/or healing, who can clear shields, who has a hard hitting spell up, and much, much more. Your random "I'm falling!" comment just disrupted the chain of communication in a time critical situation. How can you sit there and say that you were anything but rude yourself?


First of all, Wizard101 would've never put a "Watch" button on the PvP screen if it wasn't meant to be their. And it's not eavesdropping or again Wizard101 would've never put a "Watch" button their. And I was bored so I only made a joke of how I was falling into the lava below because it was the Dragonspyre arena. And I don't get how that was rude? Then one of the players just typed "shut op noob." He could've said can you please not do that or can you please not do that again. And they weren't talking to their teammates or communicating. And seriously, critical situation? It was a PvP match. No it didn't occur to me that I was being rude, because many people would say I wasn't being rude.

I agree with you but you still shouldn't be offended by the word noob it really isn't a bad word it may be used as an insult but your right about the PvP match it shouldn't be cosidered a seroius thing but don't be offende by the noob comment it really doesn't mean anything it just means you new to the game as for the tuna boy thing well that was just talk because of how they felt at the time for some odd reason they take PvP matches seroiusly like there life depends on this one match there will be other matches you know so if they get distracted that easily then they shouldn't do PvP in the first place heck when I have my friends help me I make jokes during the quest fights all the time when I do do PvP I still talk to every one in the PvP match becausee that makes the match more interesting thats the fun of these type of games is you could make it an enjoable experiance with people you befriended and do PvP with so if anybody calls you noob just joke back at them saying look who's talking lol if they call you tuna boy or gray make jokes back by saying thanks I do like my fish followed by lol or gray happens to be my favorite color lol see there are way around the bulling and just for the heck of it with the quest fights or fights you get into while on your quest think of that as well action adventure movies where the action hero (you) cracks oneliners and jokes thats what this game is all about just having fun and making comments about your sourrondings like you did with the help I'm falling thing .

Survivor
May 31, 2010
5
I'm okay with it. I was called a "noob" as an apprentice and now that I'm a master wizard I realized that it is rather rude to call people names. I also think that KI will not be removing that word anytime soon so good luck! But the apprentice wizards do "ruin battles" so please, us master and above wizards will not call you "noobs" if you don't act like one. Maybe only help them when we ask. Wizard101 should be a safe non-bullying game and if this keeps happening I think that text chat should just be taken away!

Survivor
Apr 30, 2011
13
I believe someone said this in a previous post, but if the word "noob" was removed, then another word meaning the same thing would be used.

If you're exhibiting noob behavior, then stop.

If you're not a noob, then laugh!

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
514
I'm afraid cyber bullying is a part of life. There are those out there feeling the need to bully because of life events in the past, or simply because they like to hurt people. While Cyber bullying may not seem serious it is. It is on every game and there is no stop to it. The only way to get away is to quit or stop text chat or open (which you should keep. Just ignore bullies, don't make them take you that far.) I understand what you are going through, everyone does. I am level 70 myself but never treat people like some high levels do...

Mastermind
Aug 10, 2011
329
DouDou123 wrote:
Randomperson16 wrote:
RavenLady777 wrote:
This has been talking about to no end here. The word 'noob' is offensive, but I don't see KI removing it anytime soon. We've asked for a long time now and it remains. And if you have text chat, lord knows, they'll find a way around the filters and say it anyway. The best way to handle it in my experience is to 'ignore' the bully, report them if what they've said violates the rules and move on. They're kids. They're mean and there's very little we can do about it.


Hmm mm.... They're kids.... they're BOUND to be rude....

Well lets all just blame the kids for everything. They're the person who caused the problem....

I hate it when people say stuff like that..... I am a kid and i find that quite offensive. I am NOT mean. Infact i try to help people the best i can.

I would never ever call somebody a "Noob" or tell them there homeless.

If anybody tries to do that to a wizard, In just fact, i would comfort them. I wouldn't join in, laugh along and be ok with it?

So sorry about your experience DouDou123. They were being rude. But i disagree with taking away the word noob just as wizards will find ways to say it again. For example: No oh be, New be, So you would have to take away the others ways to say "Noob" to.

My advice: Look at the bright side, they are jealous. They insult people to make themselves feel better and be perfect. So if they say you are "Tuna Boy" again. Think of them as Tuna wizards. Think of them of jumping in tuna


#1. I never said I was referring to kids.
#2. They are kids not because of their age but because of their actions.
#3. That's what I always think. Desperate people do desperate things. They bully to feel better about themselves. I made sure they knew that.
#4. Some kids are mature but some aren't and that doesn't depend on their age but their actions.


#1. I never said You were referring to kids, i was talking to the person above and im tired of when people are being selfish, they say "Those dang Kids!" You were kids once and ill stick up for my own kind.
#2. You never know. It might of been kids, but also a good chance of being a Adults acting like a Child.
#3. You got that right, good.
#4. I agree, but it also depends on the quotes too. I dont think a Adult would bother calling a wizard "Tuna Boy", But dont forget, there are some mature Adults and some immature Adults.

Survivor
May 15, 2009
21
JinZah wrote:
DouDou123 wrote:
Bullying is a problem that poses to people in reality, imagination, and yes of course virtual interactions. Some "higher level wizards" think their better only because they are of higher level. Some higher level wizards and I'm not talking about all of them, I'm talking about some, call "lower level wizards," "noobs." I think that this word should be removed A.S.A.P. from the Wiz101 Dictionary. It poses rudeness problems as yes some lower levels might be "annoying" and "ruin your battles" but remember once you were also like them. You might've not "ruined other battles" or you were "annoying" but you were also lower level, and you might've been called "noob" also. But, that doesn't give rights for you to call other lower levels "noobs" after you've become higher in level status. I'm saying this because it's a problem, and I have seen wizards call others noobs. Today, I was watching a duel in the Arena, and I just said, "I'm falling!" Then, one of the battling wizards who were all Level 60 and above told me to be quite in a rude way and called me noob. Then, I said to him that he was being mean, then his friend started doing the same. Some of them said I was home less, I was grey (it was only my clothing color), and they also said I was "tuna boy" and said I smelled like tuna. In sense, I retaliated, but I realized it, of course, was no use, I reported them for being mean and rude. I think this should be taken into account. It's very bad for people to cyber-bully, since in reality, there is already bullying.
Thank You for your time. I hope you haven't had to face this predicament.
Please, Wiz101 Administrators take this in to account to improve the gaming experience with is already superb.
Ryan LotusGarden
Level 43 Balance Wizard (Master Sorcerer)
"Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog,
Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog,
Adder's Fork and Blind-worm's Sting,
Lizard's Leg and Owlet's Wing"


So what you are saying is that you're mad that a a team (or was it both teams?) of PVP players started trash talking you, after you went to a place you weren't invited, nor wanted, and started spewing random nonsense from the sidelines? Did it ever occur to you that maybe you were the one being rude first?

for now lets just leave aside that many PvP teams employ a "fifth man", who sits on the sidelines eaves dropping on the other teams to report who's casting what, pointing out who is what school, and relaying vital information such as resist/damage boost scores, ect. and focus on how you were being disruptive to the match. A PvP team only has 30 seconds to communicate with each other what cards they have, who's doing what, who needs shielding and/or healing, who can clear shields, who has a hard hitting spell up, and much, much more. Your random "I'm falling!" comment just disrupted the chain of communication in a time critical situation. How can you sit there and say that you were anything but rude yourself?
Troll. That's what you are. Don't be a troll. ON TOPIC: I agree about bullying. I myself have been called a noob, and I'm level 45. I think they just like to pick on the lower levels.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2162
I don't approve of the use of "Noob" because of the real definition of this word. I do understand why some use it and the best thing is to ignore it. If everyone ignored it completely the use of it would be reduced considerably.

But being called "Noob" IS NOT A REPORTABLE OFFENSE. Be sure that when you report someone, it is for the right reason, ie: profanity.

Survivor
Sep 10, 2009
22
JinZah wrote:
DouDou123 wrote:
Bullying is a problem that poses to people in reality, imagination, and yes of course virtual interactions. Some "higher level wizards" think their better only because they are of higher level. Some higher level wizards and I'm not talking about all of them, I'm talking about some, call "lower level wizards," "noobs." I think that this word should be removed A.S.A.P. from the Wiz101 Dictionary. It poses rudeness problems as yes some lower levels might be "annoying" and "ruin your battles" but remember once you were also like them. You might've not "ruined other battles" or you were "annoying" but you were also lower level, and you might've been called "noob" also. But, that doesn't give rights for you to call other lower levels "noobs" after you've become higher in level status. I'm saying this because it's a problem, and I have seen wizards call others noobs. Today, I was watching a duel in the Arena, and I just said, "I'm falling!" Then, one of the battling wizards who were all Level 60 and above told me to be quite in a rude way and called me noob. Then, I said to him that he was being mean, then his friend started doing the same. Some of them said I was home less, I was grey (it was only my clothing color), and they also said I was "tuna boy" and said I smelled like tuna. In sense, I retaliated, but I realized it, of course, was no use, I reported them for being mean and rude. I think this should be taken into account. It's very bad for people to cyber-bully, since in reality, there is already bullying.
Thank You for your time. I hope you haven't had to face this predicament.
Please, Wiz101 Administrators take this in to account to improve the gaming experience with is already superb.
Ryan LotusGarden
Level 43 Balance Wizard (Master Sorcerer)
"Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog,
Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog,
Adder's Fork and Blind-worm's Sting,
Lizard's Leg and Owlet's Wing"


So what you are saying is that you're mad that a a team (or was it both teams?) of PVP players started trash talking you, after you went to a place you weren't invited, nor wanted, and started spewing random nonsense from the sidelines? Did it ever occur to you that maybe you were the one being rude first?

for now lets just leave aside that many PvP teams employ a "fifth man", who sits on the sidelines eaves dropping on the other teams to report who's casting what, pointing out who is what school, and relaying vital information such as resist/damage boost scores, ect. and focus on how you were being disruptive to the match. A PvP team only has 30 seconds to communicate with each other what cards they have, who's doing what, who needs shielding and/or healing, who can clear shields, who has a hard hitting spell up, and much, much more. Your random "I'm falling!" comment just disrupted the chain of communication in a time critical situation. How can you sit there and say that you were anything but rude yourself?

Seriously? what is so critical that you get distracted by someone just joking ? if there is a fifth man I would think that he wouldn't get distracted by that comment and concentrate on the "importent match of your life" battle besides you guys can just lol it and get back to battle because if you have a fifth man then the other team is bound to have a fifth man employed also so these PvP battles are not really that importent because you would have another chance at anyones house that happens to have an arena and do you really think KI will have PvP tournaments so you have to practice your battleing in the arena just because it says ranked only means you just get another badge for acheiving a new rank it won't get you free money or quicker ways to gain a level it is for having some sort of feeling of acomplishment it's great that you do focus on the match don't get me wrong or take this the wrong way I think it's great you have something to look foward to and I'm glad that you are ranking up but remember it is just a match in a video game and that there are many more matches that you could go in there will always be a match going on in the arena so really you don't have to take PvP so seriously I don't think your life depends on winnig the PvP match but then again I really don't PvP because I personaly think PvP is rather boring but you can't fualt the guy who was just trying to have fun by making jokes about the enviorment because if games were to be taking seriously then whats the point of having games in the first place if not to have fun while playing the game the main point of this game is to have fun that is why it is aimed more towards kids than adults because it's supposed to be fun and not about stratgizing your next spell in a PvP match although you have the right to do that just as much as that guy joking about his enviroment so again don't fualt anybody just because of them having fun because it is still JUST A GAME and not your next plan to take down people in real life with magic because the real world magic are palor tricks you can see a street magican can do so you won't have the fire elf spell to put on people who pick on other people or you at school or work or in the world so don't think that your life depends on the PvP match because it doesn't. this is strictly my own opinion

Survivor
Apr 25, 2010
16
ok, i must admit, bullying is a serious problem on the internet, but by gosh sometimes we just need to suck it up and keep playing, who cares if they call you "tuna man" or "grey person" or even "noob" those people are just low self esteamed jerks who have nothing better to do than make fun of the first person they see, and just so we are on the subject, if you didnt say "i'm falling" in the first place, maybe, i say MAYBE, they wouldnt compare you to tuna, so i hope this helps out a bit

cheers, Brian Spritegiver, level 45 life wizard

ps: keep doing what your doing and your haters will bow to you in the future

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
711
DouDou123 wrote:
Did you not read the entire thing? They said I smelled like tuna, called me tuna boy, called me gray, and also said I was homeless, which of course I'm not or I wouldn't be typing on a latop.


While the wisest advice is to ignore the rude people and learn some in-game etiquette, the OP has a valid point in this reply^^^. DouDou123 speaks to verbal bullying, which can be devastating. I'd say it hurts to be called the names mentioned above ^^^.

Bullying is unacceptable in-game and, unlike irl, can be easily nullified by:

1) Reporting the bully
2) Ignoring the bully
3) Changing realms
4) Deleting bullies from friend lists
5) Confronting the bully in a public space and calling on other wizards for support.

Whatever you do, OP, realize that The Great Spiral is an environment in which you ultimately control interactions with others. You have the power to refuse to be bullied, take charge of the situation.

Warmest Regards and Down with Bullies!

Qbb/Iridian/Scarlet/Moira

Survivor
Jun 29, 2009
37
I defiantly agree that something should be done about bullying, i have been called a noob about a million times in only a year on wizard 101. I always try to stand up for the other people, but all i do is take offense on myself also. Bullying is wrong, its against the law and me and a million others cannot stand it! HELP US AGAINST BULLYING KI!!

Survivor
May 25, 2010
16
I know how those people feel............................. but someone called me a noob and im a freakin' level 38................ I think. I need to check my level-but I still am somewhere near that level. I will define noob for people eho dont know what it means.Noob means you're NEW TO THE GAME not a TOTAL PUSHOVER

(Let it go Cody!----long story)

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
793
DouDou123 wrote:
Bullying is a problem that poses to people in reality, imagination, and yes of course virtual interactions. Some "higher level wizards" think their better only because they are of higher level. Some higher level wizards and I'm not talking about all of them, I'm talking about some, call "lower level wizards," "noobs." I think that this word should be removed A.S.A.P. from the Wiz101 Dictionary. It poses rudeness problems as yes some lower levels might be "annoying" and "ruin your battles" but remember once you were also like them. You might've not "ruined other battles" or you were "annoying" but you were also lower level, and you might've been called "noob" also. But, that doesn't give rights for you to call other lower levels "noobs" after you've become higher in level status. I'm saying this because it's a problem, and I have seen wizards call others noobs. Today, I was watching a duel in the Arena, and I just said, "I'm falling!" Then, one of the battling wizards who were all Level 60 and above told me to be quite in a rude way and called me noob. Then, I said to him that he was being mean, then his friend started doing the same. Some of them said I was home less, I was grey (it was only my clothing color), and they also said I was "tuna boy" and said I smelled like tuna. In sense, I retaliated, but I realized it, of course, was no use, I reported them for being mean and rude. I think this should be taken into account. It's very bad for people to cyber-bully, since in reality, there is already bullying.
Thank You for your time. I hope you haven't had to face this predicament.
Please, Wiz101 Administrators take this in to account to improve the gaming experience with is already superb.
Ryan LotusGarden
Level 43 Balance Wizard (Master Sorcerer)
"Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog,
Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog,
Adder's Fork and Blind-worm's Sting,
Lizard's Leg and Owlet's Wing"
Reporting for being rude is not a reportable offense. The list of offenses says that they cannot enforce good manners, so all reports filed uner those circumstances will be classified as false. Unless they were using foul language, or threatening to track down/murder you, that is what it was classified as. People like that will always find ways to be cruel. The important factor is, will you let these strangers who have no way to know you in real life get you upset? That is for you to decide.

Bullies Begone!

Survivor
Nov 07, 2010
20
I agree Bullying is the worst thing ever. I had a friend to ask me to help them in a battle before and she had already had some one helping her when I joined in and they seen my level they called me a noob, I took offense and I had to put him in check. I told him that he had no right to call me a noob That I had a death student and a storm student maxed out and I just started my life student and just cause I had a life student at a low level that he had no right to call me a noob. My friend also jumped in and she told him that he was being rude cause she has all 3 of my students as friends and she knows that I'm not a noob to this game. All in all he said that he was sorry and now we are friends.

Valkoor level 38 Life
Gavin Dreambreaker level 70 Storm
Blaze level 70 Death

Survivor
Oct 28, 2010
29
I agree, this behavor should be stopped. Once (when I was level 20) I teleported to my friend in celestia. He was batteling some monsters and I thought "well I'll help him and these guys do this and then I'll port to base camp". But the five miutes I spent there was probably the worst five minutes I've spent playing. They did not call me "noob" but they did call me low level person, and back then I was very proud of that level.
Alexandra Goldesong Level 35 Ice

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
564
Unfortunately it wasn't right to report those people. But yes, I do wish there wouldn't be so many bullies. I completely agree with the thing with banning the word noob from the text chat. I know that people will find a way to get around it, but I won't have to hear it because I'm a filtered chat person.

Caroline Sunbright level 70 life

Explorer
Jun 04, 2009
60
all i have to say to this is because of people bullying me on w101 i believe that i'm a noob

Defender
Feb 12, 2011
123
waleedprw wrote:
I agree. i am a lvl 70 but i dont have that open chat. i understand you. taht is the right thing to do report. look if people say 1 mean thing to you just report.if everyone does this chances are bllying will end


I disagree with you here. I have been called and do call others noob and don't find it offesnive at all. Reporting a player for non breech of ToS doesn't fit my idea of what the tool is there for.

Just my two cents.

2