Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

adult only realms

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 19, 2009
3
matvince90 wrote:
Adult only realms would be great, and it should be limited to people with open chat enabled on their accounts.

I also think that there should be a realm that only allows menu chat. It would be great for people who are only able to use menu chat because when ever I see a menu chatter, I feel as though they are left out because no one ever wants to use menu chat to talk to them.

yes but the kids are lying about thier age to get open chat so it would still have kids in an adult realm or area for only adult cause they lie i know serveral kids and their friends who are 17 and younger who have open chat

Defender
Jul 13, 2009
152
DarthNexus wrote:
I would prefer an adult only realm, most children who play are annoying.


i understand u r alowed to say ur opinion but it can hurt ppls feelings :( , im a kid and i know som kids r annoying but i hav found som adults r too. all im sayin is that its not just kids... btw u choose ur age on here (i know u r sposed to say ur real age but liars can always just change there age online from 9 to 26 or somthing ). I have never been "annoying or abused my text chat ability, and i dont thnk this wuld solve much...

Amber Stormsong ( Diviner (storm))

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
260
jessica83az wrote:
drthrax101 wrote:
Hello i am a "teen" player and i thing that an adult only realm would be totaly useless. After all this is a "kids" game AND any player under 13 cant talk so why do you need your own realm? What is wrong with younger people playing the game with you?

Zachary Soulwraith lvl 50 necromancer


Ok what I have recently noticed is the younger ones I have met they always say this is a kids game, but what I comment back to them is of course, this is a family game but here is the thing, the younger ones that are making fun of adults cause we play on this game they all have open chat, which mean they lie make themselves over 18 to get open chat I have met several kids that have open chat and they curse me out so much or my friends its so disrepectful and make fun of us adults for playing on this game i do tell them . well you lied about you age to become and "adult" to have open chat ...


There are two kinds of text based chat.

Text chat is filtered and for players 13-18 yrs. It requires a parent buy a certain amount of crowns, establishing parental controls on the Wizard101 account and enabling it.

Open chat is still filtered for cussing but much less filtered than text chat and for 18+ players. It requires a subscription, a valid credit on file with KI, parental controls can be used for it and it must be enabled. You can't lie to get it very easily.

Parents like myself CHOSE to let our younger teens have open chat. My kids and I all play from one account. I am in the room watching when they play Wizard. My kids don't abuse open chat. They know better. There would major trouble if they did.

Please report cursing and check out the guides on what is or is not a reportable offense for the other stuff. https://www.wizard101.com/game/faq They can be found at the very bottom of the FAQ section.

Megan Frostriver Grandmaster Theurgist
Megan Frostbringer Grandmaster Sorcerer

Survivor
Jul 01, 2008
16
The rules and restrictions for chat are already in place. There have never been, nor will be, exemptions that allow players to curse or use foul language.

If those of you who are saying that this will be the case have some information to show that KI's policy ever allows cursing, please show your facts. Because as far as I know it has been LONG established that NOBODY is allowed to curse, and this will NEVER be an issue revisited.

From what I'm reading here, if you let adults play together, they're going to stand around on a server doing nothing but cursing up a storm, and the sky's gonna fall, and we're all going to heck in a handbasket.

Gotta love the logic. This thread is getting hilarious. LOL.

Mastermind
Apr 24, 2010
343
:

You are wrong on several points. First he has the right to play the game just as much as you,and requesting an "Adult Only" realm does not hinder you in anyway,so why even respond to it? Secondly there is a limit to the "ignore button",so it won't solve the problems that several have eluded to.And lastly, this is not "a game for kids to have fun", it is a family game,and probably caters to more older people than kids. I do disagree with his point that "most children who play are annoying",but that is his opinion,and he is certainly entitled to express it. Also ,by the way you responded,you actually added validity to his comments.Think about it.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
892
melcookie925 wrote:
:And pyrsik,do you really like that it's good for darth nexus to say mean, nasty things about us kids. I mean you were a kid once, and so were you darth nexus. Remember how much fun you had on holidays like easter when you had a egg hunt. Or Christmas when you would wake up and open presents under the tree. And you would play with your friends. And remember school. What fun moments did you have in school. Think about that for a minute.


It sounds like you need to spend more time in class,and less time on gaming. I never suggested in any of my responses that I agreed with his "kids are annoying" premise. In one of the responses I even openly disagreed with it. But as I eluded to in another post,the child who responded,did so with a weak argument,and actually added validity to his statement; the very same thing which you are doing right now. Quote and respond to my threads all you want, but at least try and comprehend them before you foolishly try and debate me on something that is completely unfounded. A unknown wise man once said "It's better to remain silent,and be thought a fool,than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." You should heed those words.

Survivor
Sep 29, 2010
5
I don't think this idea was posted with ill-intent against any of the younger players, and I think it would be a nice option for those who want to play with others who are more around their age and are like-minded. For the most part I don't mind playing with the younger players, but it would be nice to play with more older players.

For those of you saying "too bad this is a children's game", I find you are highly mistaken as there is a large adult audience and this game is marketed as a family game, as in ALL ages.

Explorer
Jul 08, 2010
94
It would be quite easy to have an adult only realm, simply have it open to subscribers only. That way they have the CC on file, and open chat as default. Children could not simply lie about their age to get in, as a CC would be mandatory. Perhaps a drivers license or other legal proof of age could be instituted as well. Since adults would want this separate realm, they can do the extra mile for proving their age. The only way for them to go in this realm would be for them to wither sneak on their parents account or if their parents let them on.

Now why are all these kids complaining about how it is a bad idea? They state this is a kids game, well then this would be an option for only kids to have their realm now wouldnt it? I would think that parents have every right to play, since they would be flipping the bill for you to play. Regardless, this would give Parents and other adults the option to play with their peers, and also grant the kids to play with their peers.

To say adults are the ones who cuss and whatnot, that is a very ignorant statement. ALL ages will and do do that. All ages are annoying as well. I have had some adult friends pester me to buy crowns and gift it to them. I also have to see the barrage of "I need a girl/boy" from kids in the commons.

Anywho, instituting this is a win-win situation. Kids who claim the game is for them would basically get their wish, they would play with other kids their age bracket. Adults who think kids are annoying would not have to play alongside them as well.

Mastermind
Apr 24, 2010
343
ok this is for darth nexas ( sorry if i spelled that wrong). you may of relized i earsed those mean comments i posted about you. well i did. look, i'm so sorry for posting those. i felt so wrong after doing it. i just got really frustrated and i did not like what you were saying. but i should respect your opinion and i do. so if you could forgive me that would be really nice and i could start over again. ok? please respond if you could.

from, melcookie925. p.s. it's ok you spelled treasure wrong. i spell a lot of things wrong.

Hero
May 19, 2009
791
Havent played for a few months, but I see my previous comments( which I had removed as to not harm the overly sensitive feelings of some, and to stop others from incorrectly quoting me) had caused some unrest among a few people. Even though this is not a apology, and I will be in no way doing so... EVER. I could of rephrased what I said better, so I will now.

When I said kids I was refferring to menu chatters.[Menu Chat=Kids, Free Chat=Teens, Open Chat=Adults]

So why is it so out of the question to have an adult realm(for some), when now we currently have *chat* based on age? We could easliy have realms based on our chat which is "based on our age".[menu chat realms, freechat realms, and open chat realms] Most people just dont like menu chatters, because there so hard to communcate with, and *most*(this word does not mean ALL, but a few tend to think so) are en-experienced fighters, who usually cause more trouble then they can help. Also many people with open chat feel its easier to converse with other with the same chat. So they dont have to look foolish when typing simple things as numbers. Really, does anyone really feel smart when their words look like this?[for tea eighth] I thought so.

So again, why not have an adult realm?(which is exactly the same as having realms based on chat)


Defender
Jul 13, 2009
152
DarthNexus wrote:
Havent played for a few months, but I see my previous comments( which I had removed as to not harm the overly sensitive feelings of some, and to stop others from incorrectly quoting me) had caused some unrest among a few people. Even though this is not a apology, and I will be in no way doing so... EVER. I could of rephrased what I said better, so I will now.

When I said kids I was refferring to menu chatters.[Menu Chat=Kids, Free Chat=Teens, Open Chat=Adults]

So why is it so out of the question to have an adult realm(for some), when now we currently have *chat* based on age? We could easliy have realms based on our chat which is "based on our age".[menu chat realms, freechat realms, and open chat realms] Most people just dont like menu chatters, because there so hard to communcate with, and *most*(this word does not mean ALL, but a few tend to think so) are en-experienced fighters, who usually cause more trouble then they can help. Also many people with open chat feel its easier to converse with other with the same chat. So they dont have to look foolish when typing simple things as numbers. Really, does anyone really feel smart when their words look like this?[for tea eighth] I thought so.

So again, why not have an adult realm?(which is exactly the same as having realms based on chat)



Thx for rephrasing that, it may not hav been an apollogy, but it cleared things up a lot. I actually think this MIGHT be a good idea (the only reason for a MIGHT is I could lose som good friends :( ) ,and btw I think its hard to communicate with menu chatters (hard and often annoying (but its not there fault entirely)), but I do hav a couple good friends who are menuchatters, but would the realms be potional like an adult would be able to go on textchat realms (or teens) and the menuchatter realm (or kids)?

Survivor
Oct 14, 2010
1
matvince90 wrote:
Adult only realms would be great, and it should be limited to people with open chat enabled on their accounts.


Nail on the head. Best solution with the least compromise.

I like the idea of playing with adults more, teens would be fine also, its the younger ones that dont click pass or ask for things that cant be done or spam friend invites or ask you to add them to goto a party...

Don't get me wrong either, I know you can block friend invites, but who wants to play this game alone the whole time? I would like to have a good list of people who can play the game with me, not force every fight to last twice as long and have a decent conversation with.

Teens are capable of adult maturity and know right from wrong for the most part. They are able to comprehend and make judgements much like adults. I as an adult would not mind a realm for those with open chat only.

There are probably some holes in my statements above but you should have the gist.

Survivor
Jan 30, 2009
38
hagalena wrote:
as an adult player i would dearly love to see an adult only realm or two. simply because you have so many children playing....and all the realms belong to them . although i have no ideas how ki would go about accomplishing this i for one would play in it as a wow lover....this is just an idea of course so if any adults would like to comment on this i welcome your comments am i the only adult who wants their own realm
some kids lie about their age on the TOS. KI wouldnt be able to sort out all of the actual adults

Explorer
Apr 04, 2010
77
Well I think that there shouldnt be an adult only realm because MANY of my best friends are kids ( by that i mean like teens and stuff. )

Armiger
May 10, 2010
2080
hagalena wrote:
as an adult player i would dearly love to see an adult only realm or two. simply because you have so many children playing....and all the realms belong to them . although i have no ideas how ki would go about accomplishing this i for one would play in it as a wow lover....this is just an idea of course so if any adults would like to comment on this i welcome your comments am i the only adult who wants their own realm


No, there is no way for KI to sort out who is an adult and who is not an adult, especially since you can lie about your age during registration. However, even though some young ones might slip in, what we adults, can do, is simply Pick a realm, like Wu, and stick to it. That way, we will have more of a chance of meeting the older and wiser players on the game. Just a thought, but please, feel free to let me know what you think.

7 grand masters and an old man, well, not too old, have not hit 40, yet. Close, but not yet!

Survivor
Jan 08, 2011
1
melcookie925 wrote:
Drifter69 wrote:
seasnake wrote:
hunteray09 wrote:
Let me just start by saying i am not an adult but almost a teen and I too think this is the most worst idea ever. This game was invented for KIDS! (well i guess some family too) But if you don't like all the KIDS playing on a KIDS game then to bad! KI plz don't make an adult realm plz! It is the stupidest idea ever. I think adults really shouldn't be playing anyway cause they cuss on the game, scam us kids, do bad stuff, and many more things. Anyway how could you make an adults realm cause I know a way to sneak into it if there is one.


"I think adults really shouldn't be playing anyway cause they cuss on the game, scam us kids, do bad stuff, and many more things."

This is largely why many people are asking for adult only realms, largely to seperate such horrible adults from children, as well as to seperate adults who do not feel comfortable playing with other people's kids or influence them in any way, and it also allows those who have any sort of pedofile record to play away from realms where kids are found.

In no way is an adult only realm meant to give adults more stuff than children or to make it so children aren't allowed to play. Adult only realms are meant to protect children from adults who may otherwise prey on children, and it protects adults who never want to be accused of ever influencing other people's children.

Such realms do not prevent adults from playing wherever they want, it just allows adults to play with adults if they so choose to do so. Sure kids could sneak into it, but I think they would find the adult only realms to be a bit more boring (kind of like sitting at the adult table during Holiday Dinners).

As to not believing adults should be playing such games, lol... who do you think created and programmed the games in the first place? Not to mention that most all adults grew up playing video games and represent a very large computer gaming crowd.


Agree I am gonna respond again to bump this thread. For the safety of our children, and other children, an Adult only Realm, or Realms would be the best thing that ever happened to Wizard 101 IMO.

Sure kids think that us adults should not be playing a kids game? Bare in mind a group of 8 year olds DID NOT create Wizard 101. Adults with, That "Kid at Heart " feel, are the ones who created W101. A lot game developers are required a Bachleors Degree of some sort, There is not any 8 year olds that have a Bachleors degree in computers. So, yeah, adults, designed the game in the first place.
I get your point of veiw


I totally agree and really think there should be an adults only realm. I love this game to death, but i feel so restricted by the chat interface and don't really like that feeling. like for instance i cant type any numbers or form of number word, for example. "I only have 2 (two) cards to trade." or "I only have 2 spells left" and certain words that are disabled bother me. like Bathroom. Just saying an adult only realm would be nice and a great addition to an already great game. yes it's made for kids but that doesn't mean adults can't enjoy a good creation as well. or just an older audience 17 and up.

Survivor
Nov 21, 2010
7
Agreed

Pyrsik wrote:
drthrax101 wrote:
After all this is a "kids" game


Wrong. This is not a "kids" game,it is a family game. I don't disagree with your point, though I suspect the game probably has more older users than kids.


Once a friend; I had asked to help me said in a bit as he was fighting, I went though my options of menu choices and said Thank-You, he got the wrong idea and said your welcomb and I no longer could speak to him :(

Also I am a 55 year "young" player.

Survivor
May 25, 2010
44
Pyrsik wrote:
drthrax101 wrote:
After all this is a "kids" game


Wrong. This is not a "kids" game,it is a family game. I don't disagree with your point, though I suspect the game probably has more older users than kids.


He's right about the family part , but I'm not sure about having more adult players than kid players :?.

Andrew FireBlade
Level 22, Adept Pyromancer

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
1469
Of course none of this is an edict, but I'd like to correct some false assumptions and statements that were made on this thread:

1. This is a kids game. I'm only gonna say this once: no, it is not a kids game; it is a family game. People of all ages play this game; therefore, this is a family game.

2. Adults want their own realm so they can curse, talk about off-color subjects and badmouth kids. If I may speak so candidly, I'd love to find whoever started this rumor and smack the taste out of their mouth. I can't speak for everyone, but I can safely say this is not what I want an Adults Only realm for.

3. All Open Chat users are adults. Sadly, this is not the case. Due to the fact that you can change your age and that all you really need is a credit card (which most parents I know would just give their kid nowadays), many people can get Open Chat. Yesterday, I was battling with a girl who had Open Chat and was obviously young. She even asked me if I "cheated the system" to get my Open Chat; of course I told her I'm 19, so I didn't need to. She then told me she was only 10 years old and bragged about how easy it was to get Open Chat. I've met more children and tweens that have open chat than I've met adults that have open chat.

4. Most children are annoying. This obviously isn't true, but of course when someone joins your battle and does nothing, ports to you repeatedly, curses at you for no reason, or comes up to you and asks, "Can we go back to your place so we can, you know, ugh!" Your initial reaction is stupid kid, and walk away annoyed. I've met some irritating, nefarious kids in my almost 2 years of playing Wizard101, but I'll be the first to admit I've also met some helpful, polite kids too. I'm sorry that a few bad apple ruin the bunch, but that's the way people think. It's sad but true.

5. All adults want to ostracize themselves from kids with this Realm. First, it's a realm. It's not a black hole that sucks up people over 18, never to be seen again. Stop exaggerating. Second, I'm pretty sure there a lot of adults will stay in the intergrated realms. In fact I'm sure there are some adults that are against an Adults Only realm.

6. This is a safety mechanism for pedophiles. (On a different note, this is the correct spelling of 'pedophiles'! Learn it!) Again, this is a realm. Adults will be able to go in and out as they please; therefore this would serve no purpose as a safety mechanism against pedophiles. Plus, if someone could change their age to get Open Chat, wouldn't one just be able to change their age to make themselves seem younger to KI?

7. Adults want an Adults Only realm to "get back" at kids. For what exactly?

8. Adults should just go play another game if they want to play with adults. I've played other games and to be honest, I don't like them. I like Wizard101; I just don't appreciate constantly having to explain to kids that adults play this game too and that it's not as uncommon as they think. It would also be nice to talk about something other than how amazing Twilight is or how awesome last night's "Regular Show" was. Sometimes I'd like to play with someone in my age group. Is that so wrong?

Survivor
Oct 06, 2009
8
that is... REALLY STUPID! Wizard101 is a agme of all ages, so if you want a world like that, you could just play some OTHER video game.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
705
I think it would be nice to have an opt in adult realm. However, I would quit playing the game if I wasn't allowed to quest with my sons. That's how I started playing, and Wizard has now become a family activity.

A more serious reason not to force a separation of adults from children in the game is in-game safety. As an adult player I feel it is my responsibility to the Wizard community to pay attention to the conversations going on around me in-game, and to report those wizards who break the rules. I have reported people for using lewd, foul language, for making inappropriate comments, for bullying, and for trying to scam other players. Many other adults who play the game are equally vigilant about such things. We serve as volunteer moderators, in a sense. The Great Spiral is something of a virtual playground, after all, and most parents wouldn't expect their children to play there unattended.

There IS an informal movement of adult players to meet up in the pixie realm. Look for the thread about adult players in the game to see the conversation.

Iridian Shadowweaver, Legendary Theurgist and Wizarding Mom

PS- Players who insist on an adult only realm should consider going to Wow or LotR online. Those games are designed for and marketed to a mature gamer.


Survivor
Nov 21, 2010
7
Do not think anyone is trying to break down the game. Just expand it a little you can go to friends (or family).

queenlybluebean wrote:
I think it would be nice to have an opt in adult realm. However, I would quit playing the game if I wasn't allowed to quest with my sons. That's how I started playing, and Wizard has now become a family activity.

PS- Players who insist on an adult only realm should consider going to Wow or LotR online. Those games are designed for and marketed to a mature gamer.



Never played Wow but still hold an open account for LotR, just tired of the garden here cook there (etc) and I was a part of the older school LotR when "everything" was not about real USD's.

Survivor
Jan 02, 2010
1
Now i think an adult only realm would be very handy, this is a game for all ages, and i do think there is a large number of kids, and a number of adults who like the whole sorcery theme.

Survivor
Oct 29, 2009
11
This is a FAMILY game! That means that kids AND adults play TOGETHER.
And if you play on an adult only realm and need help from one of your kids how would they help you if your in a battle?

Survivor
Nov 21, 2010
7
I think the game said a game for all ages

rojience wrote:
This is a FAMILY game! That means that kids AND adults play TOGETHER.
And if you play on an adult only realm and need help from one of your kids how would they help you if your in a battle?


As to needing help, and yes many younger types are great mages. Yet that is simple move to a non adult realm, if your having problems.