Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

About one the aspects of open chat

AuthorMessage
Delver
Jun 02, 2010
I was noticing that players with open chat can send messages directly even if they are not on the person's friend list. The part that says "text chat" after clicking on a friend and person with open chat can send messages to that player. I just basically wanted to suggest an idea to allow players to block this if they did not want to receive direct text chat messages from players who are not on their friends list. Players can say rude things to players or speak to them when they did not want to have a conversation because of this more easily.

Survivor
Oct 30, 2009
AaronMerriin wrote:
I was noticing that players with open chat can send messages directly even if they are not on the person's friend list. The part that says "text chat" after clicking on a friend and person with open chat can send messages to that player. I just basically wanted to suggest an idea to allow players to block this if they did not want to receive direct text chat messages from players who are not on their friends list. Players can say rude things to players or speak to them when they did not want to have a conversation because of this more easily.

Well,you need to have open chat or text chat to do that.And how you do that is clicking on the wizards name with the right click.Then just type whatever you want to say to that person.But you can't do that to people that don't have open chat or text chat.Not only people with open chat can do that.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
AaronMerriin wrote:

Not true- any player can do this, not just those of us with open chat (my main accounts have open, but my free-to-play alts just have text).

I like your idea, re: opting out of receiving messages from other players. But this raises another issue- let's say you join a random group from some big dungeon-run; in other words, the people you're in there with are not your friends. If you get defeated, port out, and then get booted to another server (and this has happened to me in combat before), you have no way to let your teammate who's opted out of messaging know what happened... and, based on the attitudes of some people I've met in-game, that person would probably block and delete you for "ditching" him (or her), when you can't viably explain what happened. Yeah, this scenario is kinda extreme. But it's important to consider all angles when presenting an idea like this.

Easy solution: hit escape, then choose "Yes" beside the Hidden to Friends button. No one will even know you're there.

Survivor
Dec 21, 2009
another solution is put them on ignore no more texts will reach you. :D

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Alex132444 is correct. That is why the IGNORE button was given to us. Once you use it, you will not get anymore from that person. If the person happens to be on your friends list remove them. When you log out of the game for a little while, those that have been ignored or removed can no longer text you as long as you do not text them......

The only way anyone not on your friends list can private text you is if you text first and you name shows up in the chat box. But this system also makes it easier for us to report those abusing chat or other players that goes against the ToU.

KI has given us the tools to use. Although KI does have a very good staff, they cannot have a staff member in every area and realm of the game 24/7. They do rely on the Wizard community to help keep the game Kid safe and friendly.

Delver
Jun 02, 2010
I am not sure everyone quite understand what I saying quite. Basically I was saying that players with open chat can basically send messages to players who are not their friends. "Text chat" is highlighted for them and they can click on it. The problem with this is that only open chat players can do this. Since text chat players cannot do this, they cannot necessarily communicate back with them or open chat players could be respond rudely to them knowing that they cannot respond.
Easy solution: hit escape, then choose "Yes" beside the Hidden to Friends button. No one will even know you're there.

The issue with choosing the hidden to friends button is that it hides from all friends. Sometimes there might be certain friends I want to be visible to.
another solution is put them on ignore no more texts will reach you.
The type of block that I was hoping for was just to be able to block messages from open chat players that a person is not friends with. If a person clicks ignore then a person cannot send any messages and ignoring can sometimes hurt players feelings if they aware of it.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
AaronMerriin wrote:
I am not sure everyone quite understand what I saying quite. Basically I was saying that players with open chat can basically send messages to players who are not their friends. "Text chat" is highlighted for them and they can click on it. The problem with this is that only open chat players can do this. Since text chat players cannot do this, they cannot necessarily communicate back with them or open chat players could be respond rudely to them knowing that they cannot respond.

The issue with choosing the hidden to friends button is that it hides from all friends. Sometimes there might be certain friends I want to be visible to.
another solution is put them on ignore no more texts will reach you.
The type of block that I was hoping for was just to be able to block messages from open chat players that a person is not friends with. If a person clicks ignore then a person cannot send any messages and ignoring can sometimes hurt players feelings if they aware of it.

Yes, players can send messages to any other player just by right clicking on the other players name in the chat box. Only that player will see the message. For some of us, it is a way to be able to chat with some that are not on our friends list for various reasons.

Hitting the Ignore button does not block all chat. You have to left click on the persons name in the chat box or on the wizard if you know which one it is that you want to ignore. When you do this, it will bring up that players stat card. The first option on that players card is Ignore. If you hit that button, all chat from that player will no longer be visible to you from a chat bubble even if that player is right in front of you, you will not receive anymore messages from them.

Ignoring does not stop a player from being able to send a message. It just stops the messages that are directed at you from that player.