Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A question to the Developers, regarding Myth's state of balance.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 12, 2015
Hello, this a question aimed more towards the Developers, as well as the community at large in regards to Myth’s state of balance.
When Fire was buffed up to match Storm’s dominance, the meta was shaken up and Storm was no longer the be all, end all of damage dealing capability in the game. However, Myth was Fire’s match for off hitter for the majority of the game’s life . Myth and Fire were always neck and neck in terms of damage dealing capability, and their gear was often extremely similar to reflect that. When Fire was buffed, Myth was not and subsequently fell to the bottom of the barrel. I want to ask the question, why? Myth has for years been the subject of aversion, jokes and a generally known fact that they are frequently unviable teammates. Their utility is negated entirely by the use of shatter tc, and their damage is third-rate. As most bosses are stun resistant, that also damages their untilty in harder instances.
As the third hitting school, I don’t understand why they were not changed to reflect that status. If Fire can be upgraded from off-hitter to main dps, why cannot Myth receive the same treatment/ improvements? They were already in a poor spot balance-wise before their indirect nerf, and now more than ever, Myth is just ‘there’, always the bridesmaid and never the bride.
For perspective:
Myth has blades equal to Fire, and a more consistent AOE in mystic colossus, the only pro.
The Con’s: Myth has less damage, critical, and as a result less viability in a team composition. Myth is inundated with useless minion and minion-utility spells which are completely unviable late game. Myth also has one viable trained AOE in Mystic Colossus, at level 100 and under the condition you beat 2/3rds of Darkmoor, whereas every other school at least has one viable AOE learned before then, and no Frog does not count. Even balance gets 2 fantastic AOE’s before their fourth in Polaris, despite not being damage-class schools.
I would like to be clear in that I am not calling for a Nerf to Fire or Storm: I Simply want to know why Myth is given the short end of the stick every time, for the past 10 years. I think that in their arsenal of single target spells, one or two could be adopted into AOE’s, namely Basilisk (as it is frankly a worse King Artorious). Orthrus would also be a welcome change but would remove a useful PVP strategy.
Proposed changes:
-Adjust Myth damage and Critical to be competitive versus Fire/Storm

-Basilisk reworked into an AOE burst hit, not overtime ( the dragoon amulet has the animation done, so it seems the most feasible)
-Earthquake being buffed to be a respectable AOE hit
-Orthrus being changed to be an AOE to match the other level 48 Spells
-Make minions usable, somehow.
Will it be possible that Myth gear and spells will be overhauled or reworked into a competitive state anytime soon? Is it likely that Myth will even receive adjustments at all? What are the developer’s opinions on Myth’s balance in game vs their public/playerbase perception, and are their any changes coming to the classes as a whole to even the playing field?
Thank you for reading, and any ideas or input are welcome. Stay safe everyone!

Survivor
Feb 18, 2009
I agree with this. I love my Myth but all the stun effects kinda suck. Literally every boss is stun resistant. So it really does negate the usefullnes. :(

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
ilovehareyquinn22 on Jun 3, 2020 wrote:
Hello, this a question aimed more towards the Developers, as well as the community at large in regards to Myth’s state of balance.
When Fire was buffed up to match Storm’s dominance, the meta was shaken up and Storm was no longer the be all, end all of damage dealing capability in the game. However, Myth was Fire’s match for off hitter for the majority of the game’s life . Myth and Fire were always neck and neck in terms of damage dealing capability, and their gear was often extremely similar to reflect that. When Fire was buffed, Myth was not and subsequently fell to the bottom of the barrel. I want to ask the question, why? Myth has for years been the subject of aversion, jokes and a generally known fact that they are frequently unviable teammates. Their utility is negated entirely by the use of shatter tc, and their damage is third-rate. As most bosses are stun resistant, that also damages their untilty in harder instances.
As the third hitting school, I don’t understand why they were not changed to reflect that status. If Fire can be upgraded from off-hitter to main dps, why cannot Myth receive the same treatment/ improvements? They were already in a poor spot balance-wise before their indirect nerf, and now more than ever, Myth is just ‘there’, always the bridesmaid and never the bride.
For perspective:
Myth has blades equal to Fire, and a more consistent AOE in mystic colossus, the only pro.
The Con’s: Myth has less damage, critical, and as a result less viability in a team composition. Myth is inundated with useless minion and minion-utility spells which are completely unviable late game. Myth also has one viable trained AOE in Mystic Colossus, at level 100 and under the condition you beat 2/3rds of Darkmoor, whereas every other school at least has one viable AOE learned before then, and no Frog does not count. Even balance gets 2 fantastic AOE’s before their fourth in Polaris, despite not being damage-class schools.
I would like to be clear in that I am not calling for a Nerf to Fire or Storm: I Simply want to know why Myth is given the short end of the stick every time, for the past 10 years. I think that in their arsenal of single target spells, one or two could be adopted into AOE’s, namely Basilisk (as it is frankly a worse King Artorious). Orthrus would also be a welcome change but would remove a useful PVP strategy.
Proposed changes:
-Adjust Myth damage and Critical to be competitive versus Fire/Storm

-Basilisk reworked into an AOE burst hit, not overtime ( the dragoon amulet has the animation done, so it seems the most feasible)
-Earthquake being buffed to be a respectable AOE hit
-Orthrus being changed to be an AOE to match the other level 48 Spells
-Make minions usable, somehow.
Will it be possible that Myth gear and spells will be overhauled or reworked into a competitive state anytime soon? Is it likely that Myth will even receive adjustments at all? What are the developer’s opinions on Myth’s balance in game vs their public/playerbase perception, and are their any changes coming to the classes as a whole to even the playing field?
Thank you for reading, and any ideas or input are welcome. Stay safe everyone!
Still better than tho but you can actually get max critical as a myth with a quad critical pet and dragoon attire.
Myth stand between alternate roles and their super good in pvp. I never had an issue with myth in pve because i got the gears to reflect on situations i go through. I feel myth is well balance all around as it is and i don't feel it was ever meant to be compared to fire and storm. I feel as the spirit schools in its own form are given the lesser damage for their alternate roles such as death plague and juju spammers, life as the heal role support and myth as masters of keeping utilities of bosses. Myth can hit i don't see why anyone feels like they can't, what i don't see is a 8 pip aoe spell, I think that's really all they need.Hopefully its not another spell stuck behind some pay wall like rataoskr spin.
All the spell you mention I say keep it as it is, and invent a spell enchant that can change single target spells into aoe or vise versa. I like my myth and i don't want any changes done to it. The minions part however I can fully relate, underused and not really much they can do other than talos. It just gets to a point at max level minions are unnecessary for any school in pve when your already with a good squad.

Survivor
Sep 12, 2015
angellifeheart on Jun 4, 2020 wrote:
Still better than tho but you can actually get max critical as a myth with a quad critical pet and dragoon attire.
Myth stand between alternate roles and their super good in pvp. I never had an issue with myth in pve because i got the gears to reflect on situations i go through. I feel myth is well balance all around as it is and i don't feel it was ever meant to be compared to fire and storm. I feel as the spirit schools in its own form are given the lesser damage for their alternate roles such as death plague and juju spammers, life as the heal role support and myth as masters of keeping utilities of bosses. Myth can hit i don't see why anyone feels like they can't, what i don't see is a 8 pip aoe spell, I think that's really all they need.Hopefully its not another spell stuck behind some pay wall like rataoskr spin.
All the spell you mention I say keep it as it is, and invent a spell enchant that can change single target spells into aoe or vise versa. I like my myth and i don't want any changes done to it. The minions part however I can fully relate, underused and not really much they can do other than talos. It just gets to a point at max level minions are unnecessary for any school in pve when your already with a good squad.
-The problem is, Fire wasn't supposed to be compared to Storm either. Every single school has strayed from their initial design-blocks, save Life, and I wasn't saying Life was in a good spot either. The difference between Life and -Myth is that one school has a designated role in a team-fight, and the other is Myth.
You are right, Myth has great utility, that most bosses are immune to ( Stuns), ruin the setup for your team (Earthquake) or can be used by literally anyone with 3 pips and a Shatter Tc.
-Myth isn't allowed to hit as the majority of the playerbase considers them subpar, and they are not incorrect. Mystic Colossus is the only thing that even makes them usable in some harder boss fights, as I will repeat Earthquake and Humongofrog are their only trained AOE. even life has a decent hit in Forest Lord, no?
- The reason I said Basilisk needs a rework is that it is a worse King Artorious, which will always do more on the backend DOT and the side effects are much more useful than a stun, of which 99% of bosses are immune. Basilisk also has an AOE animation via the Dragoon Amulet, so its not exactly a massive rework as Orthrus would be, but a re-implementation.
-Also, just because Myth does well at PVP does not mean they should be wholly balanced around that one, small mode. By that logic, Storm and Death need buffs because they are bad pvp options. PVE is the majority of the game, and that is what the balance should revolve around.