Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A Little In-Character Project

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 24, 2011
As I was playing around on my Myth Wizard tonight, going through the motions. I started to think a little bit. Yeah, it's great, I have the wizard, he summons puppets, stuff gets defeated. That's all well and good, but very one dimensional.

I don't know if it would as easy and in-depth (or even possible) to create a wizard with a complete backstory and somehow port that into this universe. I did this with Lord of the Rings and had a blast. I even took it steps further (playing off the games day/night cycle, stopping only at inns, you get the idea) Now I don't have all those tools at my disposal, but I thought I'd try and get something going... as a side project to kep me from burning out on my other wizard.

The problem is, I don't have even the shallowest understanding of this universe. It's not like I can just go grab a book from my library and start putting pieces together. Is there a Spiral Lore resource in existance?

I know of ONE parallel, but I don't know how far it's going to get me. They crammed some Norse-like land in the spiral, that's about all I know. Bieng a big fan of Norse Mythology I'm going to look into this more, but as to whether it is useful in this endevour, I wouldn't think so.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
bmbeeman wrote:
As I was playing around on my Myth Wizard tonight, going through the motions. I started to think a little bit. Yeah, it's great, I have the wizard, he summons puppets, stuff gets defeated. That's all well and good, but very one dimensional.

I don't know if it would as easy and in-depth (or even possible) to create a wizard with a complete backstory and somehow port that into this universe. I did this with Lord of the Rings and had a blast. I even took it steps further (playing off the games day/night cycle, stopping only at inns, you get the idea) Now I don't have all those tools at my disposal, but I thought I'd try and get something going... as a side project to kep me from burning out on my other wizard.

The problem is, I don't have even the shallowest understanding of this universe. It's not like I can just go grab a book from my library and start putting pieces together. Is there a Spiral Lore resource in existance?

I know of ONE parallel, but I don't know how far it's going to get me. They crammed some Norse-like land in the spiral, that's about all I know. Bieng a big fan of Norse Mythology I'm going to look into this more, but as to whether it is useful in this endevour, I wouldn't think so.

Norse mythology is a major reference point for Grizzleheim and Wintertusk, along with some eastern European lore. I'm not certain, but it is possible that the raven storyline in Grizzleheim and Wintertusk alludes to Native American mythology.

Read up on your werewolf history if you want to follow deeper into the eastern European allusions. Perhaps research into Arcadia, the realm of Pan/Dionysus, might yield further information about a variety of magical creatures and stories that are woven into the Great Spiral.

Happy Reading,

qbb/Iridian/Moira/Scarlet/Alexandria