Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

You only get a chance

AuthorMessage
Squire
Jan 21, 2010
some complain about the fizzle rate, some complain about the hybrid hatch rate.
few seem to understand that both are subject to chance. Chance does not care how many times an event did or did not occur in the past. Real honest chance, is by definition unpredictable. Scientists observe how things have behaved in the past and make predictions on how they will behave in the future. Their predictions are set in a perfect environment.
I believe the hybrid chance uses honest chance. If this is so, statistically, raising the chance that people will hatch hybrids will make more people happy. In reality you can flip a coin one hundred times and still get heads only ten or twenty times. When flipping a coin you should get heads as often as you get tails. Sometimes it seems to get close, sometimes it is horribly unbalanced.
There will be people who get hybrids most of the time, some get several hybrids in a row, even if the rate is low. There will be people who will never, understand, never hatch a hybrid. The game is not going to say, "well, this is his twentieth hatch, maybe I'll just give him a hybrid." If that is what you want then just ask for that, stop asking for the rates to change, because likely as not, you will be one of the ones who still can't hatch a hybrid.
The fizzle rate is quite different.
The fizzle rate is not realistic at all. We would have more stories of attacks fizzling six or ten times in a row. As it is, I only hear stories of attack spells fizzling three times in a row, I am sure that there is someone who has fizzled four times, good for you.
the point is, the game is keeping track of the number of consecutive times your attacks make a natural fizzle. The more natural fizzles you make, in a row, the less likely you are to make another natural fizzle. Seriously if the fizzle rate were not being actively adjusted by the game, the storm magicians would make a terrible fuss. Trust me, no one wants a realistic rate of 70%.
Perhaps I am wrong, I think that my argument sounds reasonable. Though, that is the problem isn't it? Things that sound reasonable, but aren't. There just ain't a thing you can do about luck, good or bad.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
zebulous wrote:
I am sure that there is someone who has fizzled four times, good for you.
the point is, the game is keeping track of the number of consecutive times your attacks make a natural fizzle. The more natural fizzles you make, in a row, the less likely you are to make another natural fizzle. Seriously if the fizzle rate were not being actively adjusted by the game, the storm magicians would make a terrible fuss. Trust me, no one wants a realistic rate of 70%.
Perhaps I am wrong, I think that my argument sounds reasonable.

That is incorrect. Trust me, I thought the same thing long ago and I was corrected too. I've included the link to that thread down below. The game looks at each spell independantly; it does not track consecutive fizzles for an average.

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/11516.ftl#58127

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
@Kingurz: Tell you what, lets have someone film a pvp practice match and try to fizzle every cast. let a storm wizard cast thunder snake at another wizard, repeatedly. See if the storm can get six fizzles in a row, no hits. Hey I am feeling charitable have the other wizard make sure that black mantle or smoke screen stays on the storm wizard. We have to be able to see that the storm wizard doesn't have any dissipates, so try to keep the number of mantles or screens circling the storm wizard at one or two. Now, I would insist that the video be continuous, no editing from the first fizzle counted till the sixth fizzle. I would think ten minutes would be long enough to show six fizzles. Call the video fizzle match, or some such and I will go find it on youtube.

Actual reply:
Hmmmm. Yet, people should be getting runs of bad luck when they cast spells with accuracy below 100%. They are not. There should be recent stories of people fizzling five and six times in a row, even without any accuracy debuffs. There are no such recent stories. You can cast any number of spells with accuracy below 100% and eventually you should fizzle more than three times in a row. As far as I know, no one fizzles more than three times in a row, not even storm. It would seem that it is impossible for a single wizard to fizzle six times in a row when casting spells that have an accuracy rating below 100%. It should be possible though, unless something is preventing fizzles past a certain point. I did not look at the date of the post you were referencing. However, I do remember when the forums were full of people complaining about high, fizzle rates. Now there are none. I suspect KI changed something about the game between the time that post was made, and now. I would venture to say that the post you cited is no longer valid.

I don't mind that the fizzle rate is being reduced. I just want people to realize that the current fizzle rate is not at all realistic. Something is preventing failure.
I theorize that the hybrid hatching rate is realistic, because people get such long strings of bad luck. (in some cases infinite) Nothing is preventing failure, and the process fails much of the time.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Here are some recent posts of wizards having fizzling issues....

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/37596.ftl#209920

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/37017.ftl#206625

That second thread also includes a post I quoted from the creator of Wizard 101 indicating that there is a secret to a mechanism you are referring to. But again, as I previously indicated, the spells are not being averaged out over casts. The spells are checked independently. However, it does seem there is an unknown % in increase to make sure you don't keep fizzling just like you suggested.

You gain over rounds, not average out.

I surmise the lack of fizzling posts suggests less people are inclined about a topic that has been beaten like a Bone Dragon, not because it isn't happening as much.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
Yea, chance is what makes the world we live in today unfair and unequal.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
@bravevline
Today? Why today? Chance has always been around. It didn't just suddenly pop out of nowhere.
It did the same 10,000 years ago. It will continue to do so in the future.
I would think that it is perfectly fair. We all have the same ability to get the best prize.
As for fairness. There is no judge to impress, no jury to bribe, no trick anyone can pull, and no secret method to getting a hybrid. There is absolutely nothing any of us can do that will insure that we get a hybrid. No one is any more privileged than anyone else when it comes to getting a hybrid. It sounds fair to me.
Is the unfair part that you pay as much as another, but you don't get the result that they did?

Well if it makes you feel any better, I think the gold required to hatch is just to slow players down, and to discourage them from hatching. If hatching were free it would be just like farming a boss, except there is no battle. Some people spend weeks farming a boss, because it simply will not drop the item that they want. It also makes the hybrids more rare. Everyone knows that they are hard to get, and pet collectors feel proud when people are impressed. The last thing a collector wants; is for everyone to suddenly have a copy of the rarest piece in their collection.

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
how many out there have hatched with a frost caller and got something different?

frost caller + anything = frost caller

so there is not chance in that one. it is like a frost caller is = 0

so want ever you hatch with it you will always get a 0

so now explain the rules of chance with a 0 X ? = 0 .

lol a friend now had an army of them for all the trying.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
fair enough.
I have no idea what a frost caller is.
If it is a hybrid already, the answer is simple. Hybrids don't make further hybrids when mixed. The staff just haven't added any secondary hybrids to the game.
Not all pet combinations make hybrids. If you hatch a blood bat with a unicorn you will either get a blood bat or a unicorn. Again, there just isn't a hybrid for this pairing.
Now I could be wrong, there may be a blood bat unicorn hybrid. If so, players are going to have to try to find out themselves. The staff is not going to tell us which pet combinations make hybrids. The problem is, few people want to spend gold on combinations that may not be able to make a hybrid at all.