Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizard101: D&D influence?

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
In my journeys across the Spiral, I noticed certain similarities between Wizard101 and Dungeons and Dragons. I have decided to let you decide.

1: Medusa Spell

As the mythological Medusa looks nothing like that, it's safe to say KingsIsle got it from elsewhere. Now, the D&D medusa doesn't look like that either, it's true. The type of demon known as a Marilith, however, does have a tail instead of legs, does have gaudy jewelry - and certainly swings around swords (six, to be precise - Marilith have six arms, so I think KI took four off to differentiate).

2: Vampire Spell

The D&D and Wizard101 Vampires are strikingly similar, particularly in one aspect: both siphon out life force from victims, rather than the "Hollywood vampire's" feeding habits of blood. Both can "assume bat form," too.

3: SkeletalPirate/Dragon Spells

D&D has, since it's conception, had Skeletons, a type of undead. Skeletons can be any sort of being, from a human to a giant rat - to a dragon.

4: Efreet Spell

Disney references aside, the name should ring a bell in the minds of all seasoned D&D players; an advanced race of - you guessed it - fire elementals goes by that name.

5: GhostTouch Spell

A D&D spell goes by that very name. I kid you not.

6: Marleybonian Rats, Dogs, and Cats

Dungeons and Dragons features more lycanthropes than just Werewolves, you know. One of the others are Wererats, and many a DM has created his own Lycanthropic species (like me :Weredragon! :D).

The evidence has been presented. Let the defense step forward (in other words, try to deny it).

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
The very reason mmorpg's exist today is because of the late E. Gary Gygax. He was the visionary behind a small but brilliant game called "Chainmail" that eventually became "Advanced Dungeons and Dragons". Without him, none of these games would probably be here today. The things you mentioned are simply creatures of legend and lore that no one has domain over. Any game in the fantasy genre would be hard pressed to not have similarities. It certainly doesn't mean they were copied though. As far as mmorpg's go, I think KI is one of the least comparable to AD&D.

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
Pyrsik wrote:
The very reason mmorpg's exist today is because of the late E. Gary Gygax. He was the visionary behind a small but brilliant game called "Chainmail" that eventually became "Advanced Dungeons and Dragons". Without him, none of these games would probably be here today. The things you mentioned are simply creatures of legend and lore that no one has domain over. Any game in the fantasy genre would be hard pressed to not have similarities. It certainly doesn't mean they were copied though. As far as mmorpg's go, I think KI is one of the least comparable to AD&D.

In other words, there was a definite D&D influence, because it was the first fantasy RPG!

As for names, it surely wouldn't have been hard to come up with other ones (I mean, come on, "Efreet?" Try "Genie," it's much more recognizable).

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
Feels more like the 1st Generation RPG 'Tunnels and Trolls', which had a very comic style rather than D&D (a first generation gameitself).

Most of the RPGs of that era had deep concept bases in LOR and other myth cycles. I think it is a good thing in many regards, connecting our stories and myths to those of previous generations and cultures.

On a side note, Chainmail/D&D had a co-author who may have had more infulence than EGG.