Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

With Blades and Traps more is better

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 03, 2009
While I was in Mooshu on my death wizard (with +17% death damage bonus from clothing) I noticed that when casting a Deathblade (+40%) and a Death Trap (+30%) my Vampire deals 742 damage. However, When I just cast a Feint (+70%) my Vampire only deals 695.

So that leads me to think that the blades and traps don't combine as one boost (like I have read in some posts.)
the calculations:
350 (Vampire's default damage) * .17 = 59.5 (the boost from clothes)
350 + 59.5 = 409.5
then add the boosts from blades and traps (blade goes off first)
409.5 * .4 = 163.8 + 409.5 = 573.3 (just with blade)
573.3 * .3 = 171.99 + 573.3 = 745.29 (if you take out all the decimals and use (350 + 59 = 409 *.4 = 163 + 409 = 572 * .3 = 171 + 572 = 743 it is a lot closer to the actual damage dealt)

Then calculate the damage just using Feint:
350 + 59.5 = 409.5
Then add the boost from Feint (+70%)
409.5 * .7 = 286.65 + 409.5 = 696.15 (and yet again if you take out the decimals you are left with 350 + 59 = 409 * .7 = 286 + 409 = 695 which is the amount it actually deals)

These two blocks of data (if that is what you would call them) show that the more traps you have even if they equal the same amount as less traps (in %) will do more damage because of how everything works.

Which leads to the only question I will be asking Does trap/blade order matter?
(I have already tested so I know the answer, but with this information what do you think?)

Hopefully this is useful to someone reading the forums or at least informational to a few people.
(Note: All attacks were performed on Sanzoku Bandits in Mooshu)

Thanks for Reading!

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
nanoviro wrote:
While I was in Mooshu on my death wizard (with +17% death damage bonus from clothing) I noticed that when casting a Deathblade (+40%) and a Death Trap (+30%) my Vampire deals 742 damage. However, When I just cast a Feint (+70%) my Vampire only deals 695.

So that leads me to think that the blades and traps don't combine as one boost (like I have read in some posts.)
the calculations:
350 (Vampire's default damage) * .17 = 59.5 (the boost from clothes)
350 + 59.5 = 409.5
then add the boosts from blades and traps (blade goes off first)
409.5 * .4 = 163.8 + 409.5 = 573.3 (just with blade)
573.3 * .3 = 171.99 + 573.3 = 745.29 (if you take out all the decimals and use (350 + 59 = 409 *.4 = 163 + 409 = 572 * .3 = 171 + 572 = 743 it is a lot closer to the actual damage dealt)

Then calculate the damage just using Feint:
350 + 59.5 = 409.5
Then add the boost from Feint (+70%)
409.5 * .7 = 286.65 + 409.5 = 696.15 (and yet again if you take out the decimals you are left with 350 + 59 = 409 * .7 = 286 + 409 = 695 which is the amount it actually deals)

These two blocks of data (if that is what you would call them) show that the more traps you have even if they equal the same amount as less traps (in %) will do more damage because of how everything works.

Which leads to the only question I will be asking Does trap/blade order matter?
(I have already tested so I know the answer, but with this information what do you think?)

Hopefully this is useful to someone reading the forums or at least informational to a few people.
(Note: All attacks were performed on Sanzoku Bandits in Mooshu)

Thanks for Reading!

Yes, you're on to something. It figures the multiple, and then multiplies that by the base damage. Each "entity" is put together as 1 & the card, for instance... your gear is + 17%. So, gear would be 1.17. If there was a weakness, for instance, it would be 1 - 25% or .75%. So as an example... gear + blade + trap would be 1.17 x 1.40 x 1.30 = 2.1294. Vampire base damage times the multiple makes it 350 x 2.1294 = 745.29. You'll note that it is slightly higher than your damage... the reason is that your total gear boost might not be 17%, but it could be visually rounded up to look like 17%. Additionally, there could be some other rounding discrepancies along the process. However, the method gives you good idea what the damage would be.

I hope this helps (and makes sense).

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009

Yes, blades and traps are not "combined." They work like a calculator. The order does matter too. It is usually more beneficial to place blades on yourself and traps on your opponent in the order of highest to lowest (lowest being the last). Remember, you should also place "convert" spells on first to maximize the amount of total damage. If you put those on last, you will not use your primary school traps since the convert occurred too soon.

In other words, each blade and trap modifies the running total, not the base damage of the card at the beginning.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
Right. I am going to go ahead and say the same thing, in other words, because I may be slow and was hard to understand right away what previous posters said.

It is exponential.

100 damage spell. 100 damage + 35% trap is 135 damage or W.
Plus another 25% trap is put ontop of W. We'll make that damage Y.
A +40% blade in addition will be added to Y. That damage will become Z.
A +70% feint then will be put ontop of Z.
It all builds up ontop of each other.

Of course, damage modifiers get applied in the order they are cast. If Feint is cast last ontop of all traps and blades, it will multiply all the modified damage by the final number, 0.70. So Feint will be used most effectively if applied last.

Mmm, I think that was what we were talking about, right? I believe damage modifier from clothes is factored into spell damage before any trap and blades, followed by any field spell (such as time of legend).

Edit: Edited to make the post correct.

Survivor
Feb 03, 2009
I just did another check (using a normal death trap (+30%) and an amulet's death trap (+35%) ) and found that depending on the order you place things the damage does vary... (of course in this example it only varies by 1 damage.) So if anyone reading this plans to get a "record" for highest single hit you might as well put the traps on right...

Survivor
Feb 03, 2009
Shiningfantasia wrote:
Right. I am going to go ahead and say the same thing, in other words, because I may be slow and was hard to understand right away what previous posters said.

It is exponential.

100 damage spell. 100 damage + 35% trap is 135 damage. Plus another 25% trap is 135 x 0.25 damage. Lets say THAT damage is Y.

A +40% blade in addition will be Y x 0.40. That damage will become Z.
A +70% feint then will be Z x 0.70 damage. It all builds up ontop of each other.

Of course, damage modifiers get applied in the order they are cast. If Feint is cast last ontop of all traps and blades, it will multiply all the modified damage by the final number, 0.70. So Feint will be used most effectively if applied last.

Mmm, I think that was what we were talking about, right? I believe damage modifier from clothes is factored into spell damage before any trap and blades, followed by any field spell (such as time of legend).

Sorry for double post... but ... you forgot one thing when you said this. When you did 135 x 0.25 you said that is Y. But you want to do Y + 135 because multiplying it by 0.25 tells you what 25% of 135 is. If you wanted to make it shorter you could do 135 x 1.25, and that would be 125% which pretty much means it adds the 25% onto the damage. Other then that mistake everything you said was pretty much right. (the order is clothes, Blades/weaknesses depending on order put on, Traps/converts/shields also depends on order, then the global spells) at least that was what I have found. my death wizard normally gets a buff on converts when there is a life attack % global spell. (The global spell can be received by the spider pet in the mooshu pet shop.) It is also Exponential like you said. Feint being applied last, if I understood right, would give less damage because, if it applies first then all other damage modifiers will modify the +70% which really makes a huge difference. Feint should probably be cast as the final trap so that you can maximize damage.

Thank you all for posting any other blade/trap related questions can also be asked here if anyone has any.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
Thank you for the correction, Nanoviro. Depending on order of traps/blades, etc.

100 damage spell + 35% = 135. (Y)
Y damage + 25% = X damage.
X damage + 40% = W damage.
W damage + 70% = Z damage.

Z damage would be the result.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Shiningfantasia wrote:
Thank you for the correction, Nanoviro. Depending on order of traps/blades, etc.

100 damage spell + 35% = 135. (Y)
Y damage + 25% = X damage.
X damage + 40% = W damage.
W damage + 70% = Z damage.

Z damage would be the result.

That is the correct formula above, but the game activates in reverse order. The most recent trap placed is the first to be activated when the spell is cast. So casting Feint as the first trap in a series will actually activate it last. Switch up the order in-game and verify. You will see that placing traps highest to lowest percentage will actually net a higher total damage in the end.

In other words, the formula will work like above if you start by placing W on the mob first, followed by X, Y, etc....