Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why you feel waterworks gear is the best

AuthorMessage
Delver
Oct 26, 2010
236
Well, most balances these days use the ww gear for the damage. But the crit block is horrible, and the resist isn't too good either. I like the gear I have that I crafted, it gives nice damage, extra resist, 120 critical, good block, and others. Note that ww is meant for level 60's basically.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
2634
lastdaysgunslinger on Mar 21, 2013 wrote:
Theres a better block wand in the new shaman pack, I forget its name but it has 150 block plus critical and power pip.
So in your opinion only crown items are worth any thing in the game and with out them people are running around under skilled to be able to play the game? Maybe we can say - don't complain about not being able to beat Azteca if you aren't going to buy crown gear?

It used to be there were ways to obtain things in the game - earn it, put in even more time to earn it, craft it and then pay for it was slowly introduced over time. Now it seems we have zipped right to just pay for it?

For me I earn, purchase with gold or craft gear - we have decided if this isn't good enough to get us though the worlds of the spiral with then clearly the game has out grown our level of expertise. In my case time to make a new wizard.

We all play games for different reasons - the ones you do - may not be the same as mine!
Different strokes for different folks.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
771
brwac said:

"So in your opinion only crown items are worth any thing in the game and with out them people are running around under skilled to be able to play the game? Maybe we can say - don't complain about not being able to beat Azteca if you aren't going to buy crown gear?"

Thats definitely not what gunslinger said. She did say crown gear overshadows waterworks gear. Possibly you are getting her posts mixed with mine.

Last night I was cruising through Azteca solo (post alto alto) while watching episodes of Battlestar Galactica 1978. Battling by formula the whole way. No crown gear or waterworks in my backpack!

"Yahooo!"
(quote from Starbuck)

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
935
Northlite on Mar 22, 2013 wrote:
So in your opinion only crown items are worth any thing in the game and with out them people are running around under skilled to be able to play the game? Maybe we can say - don't complain about not being able to beat Azteca if you aren't going to buy crown gear?

It used to be there were ways to obtain things in the game - earn it, put in even more time to earn it, craft it and then pay for it was slowly introduced over time. Now it seems we have zipped right to just pay for it?

For me I earn, purchase with gold or craft gear - we have decided if this isn't good enough to get us though the worlds of the spiral with then clearly the game has out grown our level of expertise. In my case time to make a new wizard.

We all play games for different reasons - the ones you do - may not be the same as mine!
Different strokes for different folks.
No i dont think that only crown items are worthy. I was just saying that those crown wands have great block.
But crown gear does make the game a bit easier i will say that.

True to that everyone has their own opinion.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3174
RottenHeart on Mar 21, 2013 wrote:
Obviously generic gear with balanced universal stats that get the job done are preferable because its nice to have a single standard outfit that you can cruise the spiral in.

But if you are getting your butt kicked don't be crying that Azteca is too tough because you are unwilling to change gear for specific situations. Non-crown gear has been made available, its your choice to use it.

Off Topic: I do think KI made a concept mistake in Alto Alto. The mobs there have very high critical requiring us to have high critical block. There is a vendor standing RIGHT THERE beside these same mobs with high critical block outfits which we can't craft because we haven't got out agave nectar or that cazy tc for completing our crafting quest. So you must search the spiral for alternate gear with acceptable critical block.
i do prefer universal (and tangible) stats: not random stuff like critical. that much, i agree with.

both of my high-level wizards (90 balance and 87 death) are in azteca. balance has the crown boots with her ww hat and cape, and my death is still in full waterworks gear. neither of them has had any real issues, and they can both solo most bosses with no real issues... my biggest problem is saving pips for reshuffle, since my necromancer does not have a mastery amulet. i have never "had my posterior kicked" in azteca, and probably won't until storm gets there, too.



-von

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
935
RottenHeart on Mar 22, 2013 wrote:
brwac said:

"So in your opinion only crown items are worth any thing in the game and with out them people are running around under skilled to be able to play the game? Maybe we can say - don't complain about not being able to beat Azteca if you aren't going to buy crown gear?"

Thats definitely not what gunslinger said. She did say crown gear overshadows waterworks gear. Possibly you are getting her posts mixed with mine.

Last night I was cruising through Azteca solo (post alto alto) while watching episodes of Battlestar Galactica 1978. Battling by formula the whole way. No crown gear or waterworks in my backpack!

"Yahooo!"
(quote from Starbuck)
I havent watched battlestar in years, how awesome.

Delver
Sep 22, 2010
213
lastdaysgunslinger on Feb 14, 2013 wrote:
I have seen more times than i can count on these forums people saying they think the ww gear is the best you can wear. I disagree with this immensly. My reasoning is simple after zafaria you dont even need a crit rating anymore because all mobs crit block is crazy high, So lets think for a second if you dont need a crit rating and the only reason ww gear was good prior to level 70 was because it gave a good crit rate along with ok stats but if we dont need crit rating anymore and the stats are just ok i personally traded my ww gear in for a mix of crowns,bazaar,crafted gear and even though i have a zero crit now my other stats rock. Resist and crit block is needed badly in the second arc so i traded crit for block an resists.

So what does everyone else like about the ww gear that makes them think its the best?
I would agree with you on this cause I think it's dumb to not even need crit.... first it started off just the bosses block it all the time to now every creature blocks it.... My child said the other day is that he thinks Wizards101 thinks they made something that they needed to fix so instead of just taking it away and making everyone mad they just made the creatures block it....

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
771
Dr Von on Mar 23, 2013 wrote:
i do prefer universal (and tangible) stats: not random stuff like critical. that much, i agree with.

both of my high-level wizards (90 balance and 87 death) are in azteca. balance has the crown boots with her ww hat and cape, and my death is still in full waterworks gear. neither of them has had any real issues, and they can both solo most bosses with no real issues... my biggest problem is saving pips for reshuffle, since my necromancer does not have a mastery amulet. i have never "had my posterior kicked" in azteca, and probably won't until storm gets there, too.



-von
Weird because someone else named von said:

"i usually quest with my friend's ice wizard. between us, we can make short work of pretty much anything, but soloing is another story completely. as wizards, we are outclassed, outmanned, and underpowered, compared to enemies who can just hit and hit and hit, chain-stun, and seemingly never run out of pips. i died 29 times trying to get my level 88 spell, and i just couldn't bring myself to continue. so i sucked it up and bought some crowns for a hench-creature, probably exactly what ki wanted."

Just kidding, we all get frustrated sometimes. That monkey guy in the saltmeadow swamp (ponce de whatever) had me swearing pretty good (died 2 or 3 times) until a promethean friend dropped in out of the blue and saved me.

But all I really mean is when people feel completely stumped, banging their head against a wall... they need to stop and think about their options. Its a good learning experience not just for Wizard101 but problem solving in general.

Happy Wizarding!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3174
RottenHeart on Mar 24, 2013 wrote:
Weird because someone else named von said:

"i usually quest with my friend's ice wizard. between us, we can make short work of pretty much anything, but soloing is another story completely. as wizards, we are outclassed, outmanned, and underpowered, compared to enemies who can just hit and hit and hit, chain-stun, and seemingly never run out of pips. i died 29 times trying to get my level 88 spell, and i just couldn't bring myself to continue. so i sucked it up and bought some crowns for a hench-creature, probably exactly what ki wanted."

Just kidding, we all get frustrated sometimes. That monkey guy in the saltmeadow swamp (ponce de whatever) had me swearing pretty good (died 2 or 3 times) until a promethean friend dropped in out of the blue and saved me.

But all I really mean is when people feel completely stumped, banging their head against a wall... they need to stop and think about their options. Its a good learning experience not just for Wizard101 but problem solving in general.

Happy Wizarding!
weird... because that post is super-old, from when von was still on her first wizard and angry at ki for making the level 88 spell quest so freakin' hard.

i didn't die because of low resist or crit block~ i died from being chain-stunned and pip-locked. the enemies always had first-cast advantage, meaning that i'd either be chain-stunned to death or unable to cast anything for the duration of the battle (remember that balance can't break shields without using shatter, and i was lucky if i made it to the 3 pips required for it; those minions love their mana burn). just thinking about it makes me see red.

i am an advocate for the average player, because i am one: we don't always have hours upon hours to spend on this stuff, or crowns for henchmen, and requiring them for quest progression is a lousy marketing scheme on ki's part... that's why it annoyed me so much.

plus, azteca is tougher for balance than the other schools, because 1) we have fewer resources available and 2) it's harder for us to get balanced (pun intended) stats in all areas.

quequeg and i have each run a sorcerer through azteca, and have noticed how much easier it was for our other wizards (her ice and my death) to get through. my necromancer has died all of once in azteca (he's only level 87, so not quite at the dreaded spell quest yet)~ don't remember my balance wizard's death tally, but i know it was much higher than that.

and, while ponce de gibbon made me wish i could jump into my computer and slap him with a fish, it's the optional stuff (spell quests and the like) that really grind my gears. which is why only one of my wizards does side quests... why torture myself more than is necessary?

-von

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2181
Dr Von on Mar 25, 2013 wrote:
weird... because that post is super-old, from when von was still on her first wizard and angry at ki for making the level 88 spell quest so freakin' hard.

i didn't die because of low resist or crit block~ i died from being chain-stunned and pip-locked. the enemies always had first-cast advantage, meaning that i'd either be chain-stunned to death or unable to cast anything for the duration of the battle (remember that balance can't break shields without using shatter, and i was lucky if i made it to the 3 pips required for it; those minions love their mana burn). just thinking about it makes me see red.

i am an advocate for the average player, because i am one: we don't always have hours upon hours to spend on this stuff, or crowns for henchmen, and requiring them for quest progression is a lousy marketing scheme on ki's part... that's why it annoyed me so much.

plus, azteca is tougher for balance than the other schools, because 1) we have fewer resources available and 2) it's harder for us to get balanced (pun intended) stats in all areas.

quequeg and i have each run a sorcerer through azteca, and have noticed how much easier it was for our other wizards (her ice and my death) to get through. my necromancer has died all of once in azteca (he's only level 87, so not quite at the dreaded spell quest yet)~ don't remember my balance wizard's death tally, but i know it was much higher than that.

and, while ponce de gibbon made me wish i could jump into my computer and slap him with a fish, it's the optional stuff (spell quests and the like) that really grind my gears. which is why only one of my wizards does side quests... why torture myself more than is necessary?

-von
Von, I think this is why my Balance wizard is just sitting. I don't have the desire to keep her going knowing what she will be facing. I am one of those average players too, and after what I have run into with my life wizard, I just don't care anymore.

I have wizards from Krok all the way to and in Az. Az did it in for the fun. It is not there.

Mana burn is one of those spells that should not have made it to the game. It gets old getting hit with it to the point you do want to crawl into the game and physically hit something. I have gotten frustrated with all the collects but this spell takes the cake.

Even though 3 of my wizards have at least 2 pieces of the WW gear, I am not sure I want to continue running them.

Right now I am gardening and hatching pets and farming Halfang. The game itself is on hold until I am ready to get back to it. If I do any questing at all, it will be on my lower wizards up through WT. After that, will just have to wait and see.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
771
von said:

"weird... because that post is super-old, from when von was still on her first wizard and angry at ki for making the level 88 spell quest so freakin' hard.

Since when is January 2013 super-old?? Has the game changed much? Its okay to say Azteca is tough, but try to keep your thoughts consistant. It gets confusing. Read your own posts:

"my archmage necromancer is next in line, but i don't think i'm going to know if i'll ever take another wizard through azteca. it's degrading."

FYI you will find necromancers are also affected by stuns, weakness spells, etc. too. But it should be easier the second time through.

Survivor
Jun 24, 2012
11
lastdaysgunslinger on Feb 14, 2013 wrote:
I have seen more times than i can count on these forums people saying they think the ww gear is the best you can wear. I disagree with this immensly. My reasoning is simple after zafaria you dont even need a crit rating anymore because all mobs crit block is crazy high, So lets think for a second if you dont need a crit rating and the only reason ww gear was good prior to level 70 was because it gave a good crit rate along with ok stats but if we dont need crit rating anymore and the stats are just ok i personally traded my ww gear in for a mix of crowns,bazaar,crafted gear and even though i have a zero crit now my other stats rock. Resist and crit block is needed badly in the second arc so i traded crit for block an resists.

So what does everyone else like about the ww gear that makes them think its the best?
i kind of agree with you because in zafaria, avalon, and azteca critical is kind of useless but some school ww still good even in azteca. for example ice school gear gives a good amount of everyting good for ice like resistance and some attack and some block and when you combine those with some other gear you are pretty mch fit to solo some parts of he game i mean i soloed most of avalons bosses with that gear. ww gear may not be the best but is one of the better one depending on your school an for storm and the other attacking schools ww gear is still use ful because it gives quite some some good attacks