Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why do I fail? Please give some advice!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 15, 2010
Hello everyone, this is just my second post so I would love some replies. I write today to ask you a very important question: Why do I fail?

Let me explain.

Ever since Celestia, I've had problems battling. I can't seem to defeat any enemies, not even street ones. And a boss? Forget it! In almost every single battle, I am defeated in less than 5 turns. Why do I keep failing? Everyone else can hold their own, so why not me?

And now some facts about myself.

I am a level 68 legendary conjurer. The only way I have advanced this far is by using henchmen, and I am running out of crowns. I want to be able to play in Avalon.

I'm still using my level 58 Illusive gear because I can't afford the Zafaria gear. Is this my problem, and if so, how can I get enough gold for them?

I always have to play solo because I don't have friends. This is the reason I have not completed the Waterworks. Should I be using waterworks gear?

I have 2980 health, and 560 mana. Should I have more?

I still use my Celestia deck because the Zafaria one is too expensive, and seems to offer no improvement. Same with my wand (Staff of Legends).

As for stats: Damage: 46% for Myth, none for other schools
Resistance: 27% for Myth and Life, 9% for Ice and Fire
Accuracy: 19% for Myth, none for other schools
Critical: 60 for all schools
Critical Block: 30 for all schools
Power Pips: 83%
No healing In/Out
No Stun Resistance
No Armor Piercing
Are my stats too low?

I still use my Star Blade, Legendary Vial, and Moon Ring. Are these to outdated? I can't afford Zafaria ones.

My Pet is an adult Orthus.

I have 47 000 gold, not enough for Zafaria clothing, or anything else.

Am I perhaps using the wrong cards? My deck of 64 cards includes:
5 sprites
5 Baasiliks
5 Medusas
5 Earthquakes
5 Humongofrogs
5 Golem Minions
5 Talos Minions
5 Myth Blades
5 Myth Traps
4 Minotaurs
5 Orthus
5 Polymorph Treant
5 Polymorph Storm Elemental

Should I be using my secondary school (Fire)?

Any other stats you need?

So here are my stats, and my problem. I would be very happy to receive some replies and advice. I am always looking for friends in Wizard101.

Thanks so much everyone!

Richard TaleGrove
Legendary Conjurer
"Myth by name, Myth by nature"

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Hi Richard,

Here's my advice:

1) Carry a smaller deck, level 45 school decks work for me, and keep a Reshuffle for longer battles.
2) Keep lots of shields in the regular deck AND some towers in treasure form
3) Train Sun school in Celestia for damage and accuracy boost
4) Train Star school in Celestia for damage and critical bubbles
5) Craft the Level 56 hat and robe from Wintertusk to gain a treasure blade and trap, and excellent stats
6) Train a pet to Spritely (if possible)
7) Equip an amulet that gives balance blade
8 ) Try to get power pips to 100%
9) Grow plants that yield specific treasures such as feint, hex, curse, etc. to fill your treasure deck
10) Revisit minions as helpers

If you shield for several rounds while the mobs and bosses have lots of pips and deliver big damage, you will be able to set up for multiple rounds of damage while they have low or no pips.

IMHO, the very best way to make it through the more challenging worlds such as CL and WT is to harness the power of excellent friends :)

Warmest Regards,

Qbb/Iridian/Moira/Alex

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
I don't profess to know a ton about the Myth school (as in, my conjurer is level 15), but my necro grandmaster is having the same problem as you are. I'm a solo player as well, so calling for help usually isn't an option.

The first thing I notice about your deck is the abundance of polymorphs and minions. Toss them. NAOW. While 1 or 2 can come in handy, versus same-school mobs/bosses, you don't need 5 of each- they are taking up valuable space that you could be using for heals/attack spells or buffs.

If you plan to keep the minions in, go to Digmoore Station in Marleybone and visit Croaky (I think that's his name) under the stairs by Mayor Pimsbury. For free, he will give you a spell that allows you to sacrifice your minion for 4-500 health; these cards are also available as TCs at the bazaar.

I also notice that you don't have the tri-blades/traps- get them. Niles (the Balance tree in Krok) has them; they are stackable with your Myth blades/traps, and will do wonders in boosting your attacks.

Dont worry about Zafaria gear- it's overpriced, and requires huge cuts to your resistance, power-pip chance, and incoming heal boosts. Your Waterworks gear, which you can start farming for at level 60, is still the best in-game- you'll get universal resist, and some other awesome stats (my sorcerer is level 73, and still wears hers).

Also, look for gear with incoming heal-boosts. If you've done Wintertusk, most can be found as boss drops- my sorcerer still wears her WT ring, which combines with her other gear for a 45% incoming heal boost (and, believe me, she needs it).

My only other advice: train Life to Spirit Armor and Ice to Tower Shield. Also, stack your treasure deck with low-pip heals (unless you have a mastery amulet, don't waste time training Satyr or packing Availing Hands TCs). And don't use Fire spells- once you hit Grandmaster, anything other than your primary (save for shields/buffs) is useless. Unless you have a mastery amulet, they'll just eat up your pips.

Hope that helps, at least somewhat. As for how many of what you need, I'll leave that to the Mythmasters. ;)

Good luck!

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
It's not that your stats are too low. Everyone has advantages and disadvantages when it comes to gear. There are many out there who can't afford better gear, so you need to work with what you have.

The top one would be to shorten your deck down to the basics. When you're doing regular battles, don't fill up your deck with 64 cards, as you will most likely NOT be able to get the cards you need for the battle(s).

Do you have the spirit tri-blade and tri-trap? If not, and you have 2 extra training points, go to the Balance tree in Krokotopia and you can pick those up there. These, along with your standard Myth blade, will increase your damage greatly.

Reduce your deck down to 16-18 cards for standard battles (or even less as you get better at it). This will increase your chances of getting the cards you need to make it a short battle.

My Myth wizard is only level 13 right now, so I can't give advice at to what cards would be the best.

For my Balance wizard (transcended), I use:

2 Balance Blades
3 Ra
2 Nova
1 Sandstorm
1 Availing Hands (for healing if necessary)
1 Sprite (for emergency)
2 Amplify (+20% outgoing damage)
3 Monstrous (astral school, to enhance damage to Ra and Nova)

The strategy above takes care of any standard battles quickly. For bosses, I put in more of each. If I'm fighting a Balance boss or street thugs, then I remove Ra, Nova & Sandstorm and put in Hydra, Chimera & Spectral Blast.

If you're fighting Myth, be sure to add in 5-6 prisms, to make sure those pop up in your deck frequently.

Hope it helps!

Defender
Mar 24, 2009
Hello, wizardseaflame!
You're probably getting defeated because you don't know exactly everything on solo playing.
When you play solo, you need to really put a lot of shields in your deck . Traps and blades are good to use, too, but attacks should even out with them. Also, if you have life spells, be sure to stack up on them. They help a lot.
You need to make some friends later on. Try joining Wizard101 Central, or if you have a Facebook/Twitter for your wizard those people are awesome too!
Your gear is fine. You just need to fix your deck.
Try...
5 Sprites, 5 Humongofrogs, max shields, 2-3 blades/traps/converts, 3 medusa, and anything else you have.
It's a good idea to use fire, too. That comes in handy for those foes that are myth school, and resist myth.
You'll be fine if you try hard.

Delver
Jul 21, 2009
OK very easy fix . take a min before rushing into the fight . see what school they are and load that school shields in TC's then your ready to go and make sure you use them one or too times before you start your attack lowering there pips and you get pips attack then shield again. I been seeing a lot of players using no shields. Trust me life will be a lot easier if you do use them :)

Survivor
Mar 21, 2011
It is hard to solo with myth. Part of the problem are the minotaurs and orthrus - you really need to put two traps up for each one. I don't even use the split-strike (or whatever it is called) spells.

Definitely train gargantuan! With spirit blade (available from the tree on Krokosphinx island), myth blade, and a couple of traps, humongofrog will do a great deal of damage, especially if you critical.

Getting a pet that heals you is essential. I have had great luck with the goat monk pet from Mooshu - hatch with someone who has a spritely pet. The goat monks make good healers for myth, and usually come with myth shot and storm shields as well.

And I have to say, crafting my own gear has been the very best for me. Crafted gear from Celestia recipes has the highest power/critical rates I have found. Most of my transcended characters, including my myth girl, are still wearing their level 58 crafted gear, with the exception of boots.

Getting rings/anthames at the bazaar that give you a little of everything is also good. There are level 58 (I think) rings that have power pip, incoming/outgoing life, health and mana, and often power in one nice little package.

Having said all that, I will repeat, it is near impossible to solo in Celestia, especially with myth. You need a questing buddy! :-)

Mastermind
Mar 28, 2009
Try to farm for the level 60+ WW gear
Try to buy or farm the lifeforce, dancing blade, or creseant axe of the astrals
Try to get a life mastery amulet and the spell satyr

Spells:
3 Earthquake
3 Humungofrogs
All tower shields
3 volcanic shields
3 legion shields
2 shatters
2 pierce
5 satyr
2 pixies
4 myth blades
4 spirits blades
All Colossal
4 infallible or 4 amplify
3-4 Medusa
3-4 Basilisk
2-3 Orthrus
3-4 Minotaur
4 weakness

Thats a great plan to do..

Delver
Aug 12, 2009
queenlybluebean provided excellent advice, the only thing that I would add is to abandon relying on minions and traps. You only need to do enough damage to knockout the mob. Think in terms of speed, not power.

Devin Darksong – lvl 65 Death
Digby Darksong – lvl 60 Life
Duncan Darksong – lvl 60 balance
Dylan Darksong – lvl 60 Storm
Dustan Darksong – lvl 60 Myth
Dolan Darksong – lvl 60 Ice

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Moribund wrote:
queenlybluebean provided excellent advice, the only thing that I would add is to abandon relying on minions and traps. You only need to do enough damage to knockout the mob. Think in terms of speed, not power.

Devin Darksong – lvl 65 Death
Digby Darksong – lvl 60 Life
Duncan Darksong – lvl 60 balance
Dylan Darksong – lvl 60 Storm
Dustan Darksong – lvl 60 Myth
Dolan Darksong – lvl 60 Ice

@moribund,

Thanks for the plus-one 8)

You make a good observation: I do focus on fancy strategies that rely on shielding to extend my health while I set traps. I have a fascination with configuring blades and traps to maximize my performance. Mine is a leisurely approach to questing, so it's true that a wizard might also concentrate on only some of my suggestions for a more speedy battle :)

@wizardseaflame,

Have fun learning the art of shielding!

Qbb/Moira/Alex/Iridian

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
Hello, i see you have 5 golem minions at lvl 68. I believe you should NOT use golem minion (45 health, really?) and you should do Waterworks for the gear. And get a pet to learn at least spritely or resist or at least unicorn. See you in the Spiral maybe, Jasmine Fireblade

Survivor
Jul 22, 2009
Nothing is wrong with anything except your deck. Here is what you should do.
Use exactly how many reps you need for offensive cards. Use a calculator to tell how much damage you will do. Then, you should have exactly enough heals to recover half your health. More, for every three offensive spells you will cast add a shield corresponding to the enemies type. Only add shields if the enemy will still be in of course. Then, add one more card of each kind you added. This is for discarding. Only discard if there is a card
you need to find or if one card is completely useless. For useless cards, just discard, but if finding a card, discard down to one of every card except that which you're casting. If you have only one of the card you're casting, just don't discard it.

Good luck!

Defender
Sep 18, 2009
Lots of good advice. Since you said you were a solo player, ignore the advice about farming Waterworks. I don't see how a myth player who doesn't already have WW gear could solo WW. I have a level 70 myth. Celestia was hard for him. Zafaria was actually easier. He uses only the level 56 crafted gear from Wintertusk and a standard store bought wand and amulet. No crowns gear at all.
One thing I would do, that wasn't mentioned, is keep your Golem minion cards. Don't laugh! He will attack every turn. He doesn't pass, shield himself, or waste time with taunt. That means he can draw an attack away from you while you are buffing your own attacks, and he costs zero pips for you. Cast him first, then start setting your blades. When he draws a big rank 7-8 attack on his own poor self and gets vaporized, drop your traps on the foe and hit them the following round before they regain the pips they over-killed your minon with.
Another is put fairy in your hand. Yes, it uses 2 pips, but works better for a fast heal then sprite.
The last thing I would suggest is join the Wizard101 page on facebook. You can ask for help without having to wait for your message to go through a moderator. Let people know where you are, what you need help with and what realm to find you in, and there is a good chance someone will show up to help you.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
natenkate wrote:
Lots of good advice. Since you said you were a solo player, ignore the advice about farming Waterworks. I don't see how a myth player who doesn't already have WW gear could solo WW.

I'm a solo player, and I still managed to find a team for Waterworks. There's no rule that those of us who play alone can't join a group- just stop by on a crowded realm, and any group will be happy to have the extra hands (even if they're not the Availing kind).

natenkate wrote:
I have a level 70 myth. Celestia was hard for him. Zafaria was actually easier. He uses only the level 56 crafted gear from Wintertusk and a standard store bought wand and amulet. No crowns gear at all.

A lot of crafted or bought gear (at the higher levels, especially 60-80) is usually suicide. You might get a higher crit rating/whatever, but your block and resist will go right in the toilet.

natenkate wrote:
One thing I would do, that wasn't mentioned, is keep your Golem minion cards. Don't laugh! He will attack every turn. He doesn't pass, shield himself, or waste time with taunt. That means he can draw an attack away from you while you are buffing your own attacks, and he costs zero pips for you. Cast him first, then start setting your blades. When he draws a big rank 7-8 attack on his own poor self and gets vaporized, drop your traps on the foe and hit them the following round before they regain the pips they over-killed your minon with.

Since your minion costs 0 pips, yes- this is a good idea. I'll keep that in mind for my Myth wiz, too, when he gets there.

natenkate wrote:
Another is put fairy in your hand. Yes, it uses 2 pips, but works better for a fast heal then sprite.

True- Fairy/Pixie heals more at once. As mentioned, don't train Satyr or pack Availing Hands TCs unless you have a mastery amulet... or, try and get a pet with Spritely/Spellproof.

natenkate wrote:
The last thing I would suggest is join the Wizard101 page on facebook. You can ask for help without having to wait for your message to go through a moderator. Let people know where you are, what you need help with and what realm to find you in, and there is a good chance someone will show up to help you.

Wizard101 Central is also a good place to arrange meet-ups/dungeon-runs in real time (since posts don't have to be approved by mods before they appear).

Good luck!

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I am a level 70 Myth wizard, and just started Avalon.

I never ever used henchmen. EVER.

#1 most important thing to do. Deck size.
#2 most important thing to do. Strategy.

Celestia+ content very unfortunately forces you into a "Business before Pleasure" playstyle. You really can't afford to 'play' with large decks, variety of spells, and minions.

Earthquake. Get rid of it. It has its use, but for an extra 2 pips, and potentially weaker damage, it is inefficient compared to Frog.

Minions. Stop using them. In Celestia+, minion upkeep makes fights simply too inefficient. You can try using them in boss battles, but they seem to get destroyed so quickly I barely see any good use out of them.

My deck set ups I have used since Celestia+:

Random encounters:

2-3 Shields (to defend against mob attacks. If you don't have the 70-80% shields, use Tower, they will still protect you relatively well.)

2-3 Blades. Regular Myth blades. Speed is the key. So I do not use Spirit Blades/Traps.

2-3 Frogs. Boosted with Gargantuan/Colossus, etc (trained from astral schools) these little puppies will yield some devastating damage for a very cheap number of pips. Cast two or more of those and the fight will be over.

2 Minotaurs. To finish off any stragglers, and to prevent you from running out of attack spells.

2-3 Satyrs. Just in case.

Boss Fights.

Maximum shields against respective boss type.
Maximum Tower shields.
4-5 Blades
2 Frogs. (to help damage minion at same time.)

2 Minotaurs. (Quick, cheap damage. If you farmed Ninja Pigs, you can use that for even more power.)

2 Orthrus. Good solid attack.

2 Medusas. I prefer Orthrus, but Medusa is slightly more powerful. And if you do use traps, Medusa will take advantage of them.

2 Basilisks. A powerful attack over time. All those attack cards will ensure that any health amounts can be taken out.

4 Satyrs. A good idea.
4 Pixies. You can never go wrong with that.

For boss fights, you can draw them out a bit more, but make sure you shield before you blade, and kill minion asap. Speed is key. If you ever come into a situation where you have to sit and think "kill or heal?" it will be better to kill. Always carry a maximum amount of shields so you can always protect yourself against more incoming attacks. You simply cannot go wrong with shields.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2010
My little brother is a level 54 conjurer, and he has trouble in celestia. I help him in CL and he helps me in Zafaria. Sometimes a friend or two may come in handy. But, if you don't have any wizard buddies, this is what you should do:
1) Despite powerful spells, keep afew ranks 4s in case you become desperate.
2)Keep heals close by, and keep some sheilds.
3)Choose a secondary class that may bolster your defense or healing, (eg, life, death, ice), and keep afew wards and heals in your treasure card section
4)Kill enemies quickly (If you will not listen to the above)
5) I would not normally say this, but spam weakness!! My myth bro does that all the time and it worked until he used eaarthquake.

Sincerely, Jeffrey Spirithunter
lvl 70 necromancer
"There is no winning or losing, only the struggle until the result is clear as day..."

Mastermind
Sep 19, 2009
The thing I noticed is thaat you don't have any heals in your deck. Healing spells are a must.

Champion
May 03, 2011
I have soloed most of the game on my Myth. Good gear helps a lot; I recommend crafting if you can't do WW. I had WT crafted gear till ZF, and now I have the Legendary Artisan stuff. It is pretty decent. I had a post similar to yours back when I started playing, and got some good advice. Here's the link: https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/39043.ftl

Short version: use your frogs with sun school boost, myth blade and spirit blade. That will get you though most mobs with no trouble, especially if you have some decent damage boost from gear or your pet. Don't bother with Talos, it's too many pips. Use the puppet minion as a shield (0 pips) if you like--that can work well. But really, as someone told me, the secret with Myth is get in and get out FAST. Frogs with damage boost are your best friend. Save Medusa and Orthrus for bosses.

Good luck.

Explorer
Jan 03, 2011
tabby714 wrote:
I have soloed most of the game on my Myth. Good gear helps a lot; I recommend crafting if you can't do WW. I had WT crafted gear till ZF, and now I have the Legendary Artisan stuff. It is pretty decent. I had a post similar to yours back when I started playing, and got some good advice. Here's the link: https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/39043.ftl

Short version: use your frogs with sun school boost, myth blade and spirit blade. That will get you though most mobs with no trouble, especially if you have some decent damage boost from gear or your pet. Don't bother with Talos, it's too many pips. Use the puppet minion as a shield (0 pips) if you like--that can work well. But really, as someone told me, the secret with Myth is get in and get out FAST. Frogs with damage boost are your best friend. Save Medusa and Orthrus for bosses.

Good luck.

This is the advice i would recommend out of all the post here.

-- You really want to get WW gear. try as hard as you can, it's the best around. this is your main problem i would say. with bad deck set up being second.

-- keep your deck light. I cannot stress this enough. why people feel the need to buy the highest level decks and fill them up with spells is beyond me. I have several deck for different situations but the one i use mainly is a level 20 deck.

-- Sun spell enhanced frogs are your friends. especially in regular fights. don't bother with earthquake, it's a waste of pips.

-- Don't bother with minion, this is another waste of pips.

-- Try to get a double resist pet. this coupled with the complete waterworks gear should give you about 45-46% overall resist. with this you are set.

-- you don't want to use a wand from your school. in case you have to get rid of shields or weaknesses it becomes problematic if you have blades on. always have a different school's wand.

Shinningfantasia gave the near perfect deck for regular fights. though i disagree a bit with his boss deck :P.
This is my regular deck for normal fights (and lower level bosses when i help people).
- 2 mythblades
- 2 tower shields
- 2 spirit blade
- 1 item myth blade from the amulet in zafaria (I now use the boss dropped amulet from Avalon which gives more health and a conviction)
- 3 colossal (or 3 of your highest sun damage booster)
- 3 frogs (Largely enough for any regular fights. i usually end up using 1 or 2 top)
- 1 of either amplify, vengeance, or berserk. Use berserk only if you are sure of your resist. I avoid using it against storms.
- 1 pixie for safety

My boss deck goes a bit like this:
- 2 towers (I am very confident in my resist. if you are not, feel free to add more)
- 3 mythblades
- 2 spirit blades
- 1 item mythblade
- 4 colossals (again use your highest one)
- 2 frogs
- 1 of either medusa or orthrus (orthrus makes it in my deck agaisnt ice or balance in case they shield.)
- 1 ninja pig. if you have this great, if not a Minotaur will do
- either 2 pixies or 1 satyr and 1 pixie.
- 2 different auras from : vengeance, amplify, berserk

I use treasure spirit blades and mythblades but those maybe difficult to get so if you don't have them no problem.

Forget polymorphs. except maybe for a lone treant (i personally don't use it) . you may want to add a couple of traps maybe. i don't.

Shiningfantasia also made a good point with the kill minions fast. I have to say though, i trust my resist so much that my strategy is usually to boost as much as possible kill the minion in one go and damage the boss substantially (or even kill in some cases). If you don't have much resist and health, yes do kill the minion rapidly. but then you might need one less frog and one more single attack.