Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why can't account from family account?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 22, 2009
I have a family account and its a group of accounts.
I want to remove my and create my own family of accounts but there is no option currently to do this.

My question is, why isn't there such a option?

People move, roommates move out, people get in and out of relationships.
So people that were once together and got the family account option should be able to separate their account if their situation has changed.

Right now, if you join a family account plan then you are forced to ask the person who has the master account to buy subscription for you.

Please make this option possible! If KingsIsle is going to promote the family account option then they should also make it possible to get OUT of the family accounts.

I know many other people who have this problem and would love to get some feedback when this is going to be implemented.

Administrator
Hello!

I do apologize for any inconvenience, but due to security considerations regarding Family Plans, linking an account to a Family Master is permanent and irreversible.

Hope this helps answer!

Delver
Sep 22, 2010
Mr Lincoln wrote:
Hello!

I do apologize for any inconvenience, but due to security considerations regarding Family Plans, linking an account to a Family Master is permanent and irreversible.

Hope this helps answer!

can we transfer char on a family account to another?

Defender
Jan 02, 2011
Mr Lincoln wrote:
Hello!

Hope this helps answer!

no, it doesn't help and no, it's not acceptable.

There's no reason, security or otherwise, that KI couldn't change that policy other than sheer lazyness on the part of the KI management and lack of consideration for the customer base.

It takes nothing more than KI asking the person with the master account if they are willing to unlink a sub account.

Survivor
Nov 10, 2010
Oh wow.Um does that sound to anyone else like they just brushed that question off?
Like bad luck mate but thats it and you gotta live with it :-(
So many people come on here and just complain. I mean this is almost like a vent for some. BUT THIS KI IS A REAL PROBLEM not just a inconvenience as you put it.That was a horrible way to answer. i mean come on this is someones account that they have put time effort and money into.
I do not no the person that has posted this but i can relate. Life does change.

Administrator
Yes we can transfer characters between two accounts if
a) both accounts (the from & to) are linked in a Family of Accounts
b) both accounts pass our security checks
c) both accounts are subscribed for a 1 year term

If your situation meet these conditions, send an email to <a href="mailto:support@wizard101.com">support@wizard101.com</a> and let Mr Lincoln know the Source Account, the Destination Account, and the name of the character(s) to be transferred and he will look into the transfer for you.

All of Mr Lincoln's decisions are final when it comes to character transfer requests.

community@wizard101.com
Armiger
May 10, 2010
Professor Greyrose,

That was not what the Op was asking to do...

The Op has an account, that is linked to a family account, but is not the parent account...

Apparently, this account, is no longer living with the "Parent Account" and wants to Unlink and stand on their own...

Personally, that means more money for KI, since it costs more money for an account not to be linked...

Also, each account, has it's own user name and password, so, I am not sure why, KI would deem it a security measure to unlink accounts...

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
I don't see why people would want an account to not be in a family anymore.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
Rihanna12 wrote:
I don't see why people would want an account to not be in a family anymore.

oh let's see:

the parents break up, the dad is in charge of the account and he isn't anywhere to be found.

the kids grow up, move out of the house, go to college, and would like their accounts to be under their own control

A couple of roommates break up, become irl enemies, and now want their accounts to stand on their own. Or one of them wants their account under their own control and the other one is being nasty and vicious, refusing to buy crowns or pay for subscriptions as a way to twist the knife in his former roommate's back.

Most family accounts are NOT really family - parents controlling a master account with the kids each having their own sub account. KI just thinks they are.

Lot's of other reasons.

yeah, they COULD create new accounts, but all their characters are on the old one.

Sounds like Greyrose is saying that the OP needs to create a new account not linked to the family account, then jump through hoops to get their characters transfered from their original account to their new account

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
darthjt wrote:
Professor Greyrose,

That was not what the Op was asking to do...

The Op has an account, that is linked to a family account, but is not the parent account...

Apparently, this account, is no longer living with the "Parent Account" and wants to Unlink and stand on their own...

Personally, that means more money for KI, since it costs more money for an account not to be linked...

Also, each account, has it's own user name and password, so, I am not sure why, KI would deem it a security measure to unlink accounts...

Darthjt,

Professor Greyrose was not responding to the original poster, but rather Dragonpower333. Mr. Lincoln responded to the original poster.

I have no personal knowledge of the security measure, but I believe it has to do less with the username and password and more about the linked billing address. There may be an issue on their end with databases linking billing addresses and credit cards on file. I don't know, just saying the answer might not be as easy as we all think. It "might" open up scenarios of fraud or issues of "he said, she said" from delinked accounts. Wizard101 is one of the few MMOs that even offer this option.

Survivor
Jun 22, 2009
Thanks for the reply but your answer was not very helpful.

My original question was and still is, WHY isn't such an option available?

I am no longer with the person that is the Master account in our family of accounts. We only joined our accounts so that we could take advantage of the discount that family accounts provide.

Now I am forced to ask him to buy a subscription or crowns because I cannot use my own credit card to buy these services and its his choice whether he says yes or no.

So my only other option is to get a new account and just lose all the work I have put into:
-leveling my character to level 60
-becoming a Grandmaster Artisan
-getting good pets, of which I spent a considerable amount of time farming for mega snacks

I do not think that it is an unreasonable request to ask to be able to UNLINK a account from a family account. When we joined there was no flashing warning sign saying this is a permanent process and we would never be able to have full control of our accounts after we linked

Professor Greyrose, thanks for the reply but the conditions you have mentioned are very unreasonable.

How am I supposed to make the master account holder buy a one-year membership just so I can transfer my characters off?

I know KingsIsle listens to its customer base and while I love many things about this game, this is a very frustrating situation to be in.

I love to get some feedback on when you can make this option available.

Delver
Sep 22, 2010
Professor Greyrose wrote:
Yes we can transfer characters between two accounts if
a) both accounts (the from & to) are linked in a Family of Accounts
b) both accounts pass our security checks
c) both accounts are subscribed for a 1 year term

If your situation meet these conditions, send an email to support@wizard101.com and let Mr Lincoln know the Source Account, the Destination Account, and the name of the character(s) to be transferred and he will look into the transfer for you.

All of Mr Lincoln's decisions are final when it comes to character transfer requests.

i do not wish to be roped into a year membership as a month to month is better for me....but i do meet the rest of the conditions

Administrator
Mr Lincoln's answer is still the answer, young Wizards.

"Due to security considerations regarding Family Plans, linking an account to a Family Master is permanent and irreversible."

If you'd like more information, feel free to contact him directly at support@wizard101.com.

We're open to hearing what you have to say and having a discussion about it, but we have a policy of not responding to people who take a malicious approach to conversation. If you'd like to try again with a kinder approach, our support team would be happy to have a conversation with you.

community@wizard101.com