Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Which one? Please help!

AuthorMessage
Delver
Feb 25, 2013
I find being a student of the storm school is really hard! They have low health, (my level 20 sister has more health than me and I am 14 levels higher) low accuracy (30% fizzle chance ), and it is just too confusing! I have decided to try another school. When I do the test I always get storm (not using that again), ice, fire (weird, they're opposites) or balance. I can't decide which school fits me best! Here is some information about how I like battling/quests/schools.

1. I like group play best but I want to be able to solo (sometimes no powerful friends are on and when they are they are busy)

2. School history is very important to me. I want to show my school with pride!

3. I don't know why, but school color/gemstone is important to me. I like ice school color but not gemstone. I like balance school gemstone but not color.

4. Most importantly, I want to have good defense AND attack AND accuracy.

Hope to see you in the spiral!
Destiny Windgem, level 34 diviner

Mastermind
Jul 04, 2010
i will give you what each school is good for. (in my opinion)

fire: attack all enemies and DOT
ice: health and defense
storm: attack power
life: healing and accuracy
myth: minions
death: damage and healing (damage enemy and life for you)
balance: bit of everything

hopes this helps

Survivor
Mar 23, 2013
This is my opinion in the various online games I've played. I always go for the more defensive type of characters in any game. I pretty much play a healer in any game. Yes, people will say they do low damage and take longer to kill enemies but I actually think overall they keep up with other schools over a play session. You kill each enemy slower, but you know you're not going to die.

Lets say you and a storm wizard both start on the same quests in the same area. The Storm wizard will be ahead of you (you being a life wizard) quest wise but one death and they have to get all their mana and health back and run back to the end of the zone, since boss mobs are usually in the very back of the zone. By that time you're both probably at the same part of the quest again. It's the whole "slow and steady wins the race" thing.

I always prefer consistency, even if it's slow, but that's just me because I never like dying and repeating something over in games.

I'm playing a Life/Myth character, which I hear is a terrible combination, but so far it seems to be going ok and I haven't died in about a week and that's just because I was rushing quests and going into fights with less than half health, lol. Even when I do get into duels with half health I usually do ok, as long as it's not a boss, because I'll use a myth trap on one mob, next round heal myself almost to full health, and can usually kill the mob with the myth trap in the next round.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Destiny Windgem on May 1, 2013 wrote:
I find being a student of the storm school is really hard! They have low health, (my level 20 sister has more health than me and I am 14 levels higher) low accuracy (30% fizzle chance ), and it is just too confusing! I have decided to try another school. When I do the test I always get storm (not using that again), ice, fire (weird, they're opposites) or balance. I can't decide which school fits me best! Here is some information about how I like battling/quests/schools.

1. I like group play best but I want to be able to solo (sometimes no powerful friends are on and when they are they are busy)

2. School history is very important to me. I want to show my school with pride!

3. I don't know why, but school color/gemstone is important to me. I like ice school color but not gemstone. I like balance school gemstone but not color.

4. Most importantly, I want to have good defense AND attack AND accuracy.

Hope to see you in the spiral!
I find that schools need to fit the personality of the wizard. Some schools are a good match and others aren't.

(In no particular order)

Death - Good solo school and for groups. Takes care of the healing for yourself. Does take a little 'buffing' with traps and blades for a good hit sometimes. Has great accuracy at 85%, however, I find it still fizzles a lot without a bit of accuracy boost from gear or pet. An awesome school in the right hands.

Ice - Excellent for soloing and for groups. High health and resistance. This school is not easy in the lower levels, as the base damage for its spells are quite low and it takes longer than most schools to defeat the enemy. You get your single blade in Mooshu, so, unlike other schools, you have to wait a while to get it. At 80% accuracy, it fizzles, but I find it fizzles LESS than Death and Balance (both are at 85%). Takes more 'buffing' than schools like storm and fire for a good hit. Crafted gear in Wintertusk and Avalon are a must have for any good Ice wizard.

Myth - Medium health and base damage hits. Good for soloing or groups. Using minions at lower levels are beneficial, but not an absolute necessity. Myth has some of the most powerful tools of any schools, and in the right hands, is totally awesome. At 80% accuracy, the fizzle seems to be less than some with better accuracy. Very easy to find accuracy boosts with gear as you level up. Humongofrog is a staple for decimating mobs.

Fire - Below medium health and excellent base damage. Good for soloing or groups. Fire is a good overall school that packs a punch with meteor and DOT's. At 75% accuracy, it does fizzle a lot in the lower levels, but there is some excellent gear in the Bazaar that can help with accuracy boost, especially at level 25 and 35. It doesn't take much 'buffing' to get a good hit.

Storm - Low health and excellent base damage. Can be difficult for soloing, but excellent in groups. Packs a huge punch with very little pips. At 70% accuracy, it fizzles a lot in lower levels, but again, there is excellent gear in the Bazaar (like Fire) that can boost your accuracy quite a bit as you level up.

Balance - Medium health and low base damage. Can be difficult for soloing, but excellent in groups. Balance is not an easy school. At the lower levels, it's easier to fight Balance mobs/bosses with single hit off-school spells, but in the higher levels, it's more difficult because there isn't an AOE or DOT for off-school Balance spells. This school definitely takes more strategy than others. Waterworks and some crafted gear works best. At 85% I find it fizzles more than lower accuracy schools. Tough to get accuracy boosts without tanking other necessary stats.

Life - Medium health and low/med base damage. No AOE until L58, and can be tough to solo. Excellent in groups. High accuracy at 90% and is definitely the school for healing one's self and others.

Hope this helps!!!

Delver
Feb 25, 2013
Thanks. I have narrowed it down to these schools, for the following reasons:

Fire: good attack all enimies spell (but bad accuracy)

Ice: AWESOME health (but low attack damage)

Balance: Good for groups

Death: Nice story, and I like the drain health (but is weak against malistaire )

I still can't decide, but i'm leaning torwards balance or ice.

Explorer
Jun 20, 2009

Death: Nice story, and I like the drain health (but is weak against malistaire )

Use Ice if you want to be Ranked in PVP and PVE.

Use Balance if you want to be good in Dungeons with other people.

Defender
Nov 01, 2012

Thats why you use something called a convert T_T

Balance is a hard school to master as well as ice. Like the person said its difficult at low levels but higher on its a dragon.
That said, the best and easiest school to go with is death. Though my opinion is really biased.
Right? I swear Death fizzles almost as much as storm used to in the lower levels...annoys me to no end.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011

yes, storm is hard to play well~ my diviner is level 74, and i've worked hard to make sure that her stats are somewhat balanced. generally speaking, though, storm is made for damage and nothing else~ our job is to kill before we get killed.

at level 74, sestiva has +85 to damage and 30 universal resist, with perfect accuracy. needless to say, it's a pretty scary combo... the fight usually ends before the enemies even know there's a fight going on. lol.

ps: death is my other favourite, and my necromancer actually had the easiest time with malistaire... just blade up, stack as many feints as you can, prism like crazy, and bam! insta-healing!

whatever you choose, best of luck!

-von

90 balance & death
74 storm
53 life
31 myth/ice
22 fire

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Worrying about malistaire at level 20 is absurd.

Death does everything you want. Good starting health, good damage, second best accuracy in the game, good healing, very good combat tricks in feint and doom, nice looking clothes, good team dynamics (although not as good as balance or ice), and some of the best pets in the game.

As far as good offense/defense/accuracy you can pick any two, but you will never find a school that has five stars in all three. That's by design. Why would anyone ever study anything else if one particular school had the best damage, the best defense, and the best accuracy?

btw you can make your storm nearly invincible by getting commander gear in pvp or by working with other wizards to beat bosses who drop good storm gear.

Delver
Feb 25, 2013
Thanks everyone, I have finally chosen balance, but I will also use my storm wizard most of the time (don't want to waste about a month of playing on that one).

Brynn Swiftblade, level 8 sorccerer

Delver
Feb 25, 2013
crunkatog on May 2, 2013 wrote:
Worrying about malistaire at level 20 is absurd.

Death does everything you want. Good starting health, good damage, second best accuracy in the game, good healing, very good combat tricks in feint and doom, nice looking clothes, good team dynamics (although not as good as balance or ice), and some of the best pets in the game.

As far as good offense/defense/accuracy you can pick any two, but you will never find a school that has five stars in all three. That's by design. Why would anyone ever study anything else if one particular school had the best damage, the best defense, and the best accuracy?

btw you can make your storm nearly invincible by getting commander gear in pvp or by working with other wizards to beat bosses who drop good storm gear.
I am not level twenty, I am level thirty-four, and at cave of solitude in mooshu. Mooshu is the world before Malistaire...

Defender
Nov 01, 2012
Destiny Windgem on May 2, 2013 wrote:
I am not level twenty, I am level thirty-four, and at cave of solitude in mooshu. Mooshu is the world before Malistaire...
Same thing...You still have a while to go bro.

Delver
Feb 25, 2013
Percy373 on May 2, 2013 wrote:
Same thing...You still have a while to go bro.
Now you are saying a master in Dragonspyre has a while to go?!

Destiny Windgem, level 42