Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

When to upgrade gear?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 09, 2012
I've been trying to figure out when i should upgrade gear. I'm currently lvl.74 and i have full Waterworks gear. I just want a rough outline to when i should be looking for the better gear for each slot, I do know of the boots in Azteca and Avalon but I'm working on my crafting to get those. I cant find anything elsewhere on this, So i was hoping that you guys could help!

Survivor
Nov 02, 2014
Waterworks gear is very powerful on it's own, and can be used until very high levels.

If you're still struggling with Waterworks gear there isn't anything much better at that level other than the level seventy-six crafted gear. So I'd keep doing as you're doing, and work on leveling your crafting.

Have fun!

Explorer
Feb 19, 2011
Im a life wiz, i used WW untill 90 then i got most of hades, dont spend too much time, and i used that untill darkmoor

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
McShane in The Wild (Avalon) has the boots. There is another vendor in Dun Dara that has other gear. For Myth, you'll need to keep the Waterworks hat for a while, as there isn't anything good to craft until you start getting Majoris gear drops in Polaris. If you don't mind a little bit of Universal Resist reduction (from 11 to 4), craft the Wintertusk hat, as it actually has better overall stats and comes with an extra blade.

Crafted Rings are junk. If you have decent drops, use those. You can craft the Athame, which is good. Many of the drops for Necklaces are better than what you can craft.

So, I would recommend for crafting in Avalon:

Robe
Boots
Athame

Survivor
Jan 09, 2016
Hello, lvl 105 here.

For me, I kept my WW gear until I hit Avalon. There I crafted the Armor of the Banneret and the Poet's Hood. You may want to switch back to the WW hat for elemental bosses for thew universal resist. Then towards the end of Azteca when I hit the higher promethean levels I had a friend bring me to Khrysalis so I could craft the Verglas Trader's boots and the Bastion Plate of old times. I farmed Cronus and Gladiator for athame and ring. Now I use Dartmoor gear and I am still in Khrysalis.