Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Unwanted people entering your battle

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 04, 2009
I've been getting pretty irritated lately when you are solo playing on quests such as deafeat five monsters, when a unexperienced player enters the battle and goes afk, or uses a reduce targets threat and makes them attack you, or takes your storm converts away buy using a tempest without a gargantuan or collosus. It gets worst when they say," Blade me, i kill ", or say, " Heal me, im dying ". and you are stuck with the extra monster they allowed to enter the battle. Could there be a option to not allow players you dont want to enter, such as the person wanting to enter runs into the circle and a button comes on the person saying allow person to join? Kinda like a friend request you know?

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Unfortunately, this is the norm in the game, although it's unwanted.

I think, that if a low level/inexperienced player ports to an area they haven't unlocked yet, then they should hang out with the person they port to, not wander around joining other player battles without asking.

I get the same thing ..... "blade me", "heal me", "I kill". I completely ignore them, especially if I'm in the first circle. If I'm low on health when they bring in the extra enemy (and can't heal myself), then I flee.

I was in Zafaria fighting the dreaded Lion Fire Ravengers. A level 4 joined my battle with only 64 health left. After one hit, he was dead, and kept standing there, begging to be healed. Two more players joined the battle, that were about the same level as I was. They too, ignored the low-level, and they bladed and healed me while we fought. I thought that was great, because they understood the situation.

A lot of the lower level players port to areas they don't have access to yet, because they want to level up faster.

I can honestly say, I NEVER ported to a higher level friend to a world I didn't have access to. I completed each world, therefore earning the right to access the next adventure.

I know when people start playing W101, they don't realize that it's polite to ask to join battles, not just jump in. And, there are many that know better, but jump in anyway.

Although this won't stop completely, I wish KI would have a post/manual/or character that talks about 'courtesy to other players'.

Explorer
Jan 18, 2010
Rizzy07 wrote:
I've been getting pretty irritated lately when you are solo playing on quests such as deafeat five monsters, when a unexperienced player enters the battle and goes afk, or uses a reduce targets threat and makes them attack you, or takes your storm converts away buy using a tempest without a gargantuan or collosus. It gets worst when they say," Blade me, i kill ", or say, " Heal me, im dying ". and you are stuck with the extra monster they allowed to enter the battle. Could there be a option to not allow players you dont want to enter, such as the person wanting to enter runs into the circle and a button comes on the person saying allow person to join? Kinda like a friend request you know?

there is if your in a group and the person in your group is in the area then as long is one of you are in the battle no one else can join the last open spot depending on amount of people in your group

Survivor
Jan 21, 2012
Rizzy07 wrote:
I've been getting pretty irritated lately when you are solo playing on quests such as deafeat five monsters, when a unexperienced player enters the battle and goes afk, or uses a reduce targets threat and makes them attack you, or takes your storm converts away buy using a tempest without a gargantuan or collosus. It gets worst when they say," Blade me, i kill ", or say, " Heal me, im dying ". and you are stuck with t he extra monster they allowed to enter the battle. Could there be a option to not allow players you dont want to enter, such as the person wanting to enter runs into the circle and a button comes on the person saying allow person to join? Kinda like a friend request you know?
Go to your spell book go to options and search through it you just might find something that could stop telporting or comming in your battles. :D

Explorer
Jul 20, 2009
I Completely agree! Like when I am in a battle and the enemy is just about to die I have extremely low health than they walk in ruin it all and the new enemy ALWAYS attacks the first person (me) and I die. Or They walk in by "accident" and flee just for fun! Leaving you with extra enemies! If they get in by accident they should learn how to avoid things better! :x :? IT MAKES ME REALLY FRUSTRATED!

Survivor
Mar 18, 2012
i know but im pretty sure youve done it too and so have i but some times they do it for exp to lvl up and sometimes they cant help it like they walk near the battle and have no choice at all and there controls dont work either and also they can save your hp too ya know so i see your point there but now another thing calling them "unexperienced" is an INSULT to sensetive wizard like my freind arthur myth bringer (not sharing true identity although i know it) he would be OFFENDED if he saw this so WATCH THE LANGUAGE have a good day

Survivor
Nov 27, 2010
Rizzy07 wrote:

Anyone is allowed to join any battle they want. It's been that way for (almost) 4 years and it's not going to change. If you don't like that, go on a realm with less people.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
As the Spiral expands and the worlds get more difficult this is bound to be a problem no matter what you do to avoid it. It is safe to say that pretty much every one of us has had something like this happen to us along the way. The best I can do is make sure none of the problem wizards come from my Friend list.

Since there is no real way to prevent it it must be treated as another challenge in the game. For every option there could be to prevent this there is a reason why it would not work out.

Survivor
Dec 20, 2009
Bee0909 wrote:
Rizzy07 wrote:

Anyone is allowed to join any battle they want. It's been that way for (almost) 4 years and it's not going to change. If you don't like that, go on a realm with less people.

You said that the best way anyone can. A button to not allow people to join the battle? REALLY? I mean, I get annoyed when people do that, but that's how that game is meant to be. Unexpected joining. I think KI would have solved that problem if they wanted to, Rizzy07.

Survivor
Dec 10, 2011
Rizzy07 wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly and have made a post under the New Ideas Forum (I think it falls under Dorm in the Index) asking KI to create an option that allows us to close our battle circles. I encourage all of you to do the same. :)

I find it sad that we can place restrictions on our friends (you know, the people who actually respect us) but cannot place some controls on strangers who interfere with our gameplay and enjoyment. We can already make ourselves invisible to friends, restrict our home to just friends, and even disallow teleports. These options all seem to indicate (to me) that KI recognizes that some of us want privacy at some times. Allowing us the option to close our battle circles (at least to non-friends) would fit quite well within what has already been established and would keep the moochers away. We could also open the circle to a player as desired (like if they asked and we were well stocked with spells and health to handle more foes) and if we allowed teleports, friends could still teleport into the battle to assist or visit with ease.

Bee0909 wrote:

While "anyone is allowed to join any battle they want" is theoretically true, that doesn't make it appropriate to do so. It's basic manners to respect other players, ask first, and to not assume yours are the only needs needing to be instantaneously fulfilled. If you get pulled in accidentally, I find immediately issuing an apology does the trick.

This isn't a new concept. In RL, if you need a chair and see one at a table where people are already seated, you don't just go over there and take it for yourself -- you first ask "are you using this chair?" When you're hungry, you don't just walk up to a stranger's table and help yourself to their food, -- you go get your own. See a pattern here? While yes this is a game, it's a social one and social norms like basic manners should still apply.

Continue to petition for a closed battle circle option. This way we're not just complaining, we're offering a viable solution.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
QueQueg wrote:
Unfortunately, this is the norm in the game, although it's unwanted.

I think, that if a low level/inexperienced player ports to an area they haven't unlocked yet, then they should hang out with the person they port to, not wander around joining other player battles without asking.

I get the same thing ..... "blade me", "heal me", "I kill". I completely ignore them, especially if I'm in the first circle. If I'm low on health when they bring in the extra enemy (and can't heal myself), then I flee.

I was in Zafaria fighting the dreaded Lion Fire Ravengers. A level 4 joined my battle with only 64 health left. After one hit, he was dead, and kept standing there, begging to be healed. Two more players joined the battle, that were about the same level as I was. They too, ignored the low-level, and they bladed and healed me while we fought. I thought that was great, because they understood the situation.

A lot of the lower level players port to areas they don't have access to yet, because they want to level up faster.

I can honestly say, I NEVER ported to a higher level friend to a world I didn't have access to. I completed each world, therefore earning the right to access the next adventure.

I know when people start playing W101, they don't realize that it's polite to ask to join battles, not just jump in. And, there are many that know better, but jump in anyway.

Although this won't stop completely, I wish KI would have a post/manual/or character that talks about 'courtesy to other players'.

I agree with you 100%, especially about the treatment of the lower levels begging and such.
I ported once, by request, before having access to Celestia. I did not stay around after helping my friend. I just wish more people would have common courtesy.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Denaunie wrote:
It's basic manners to respect other players, ask first, and to not assume yours are the only needs needing to be instantaneously fulfilled. If you get pulled in accidentally, I find immediately issuing an apology does the trick.

This isn't a new concept. In RL, if you need a chair and see one at a table where people are already seated, you don't just go over there and take it for yourself -- you first ask "are you using this chair?" When you're hungry, you don't just walk up to a stranger's table and help yourself to their food, -- you go get your own. See a pattern here? While yes this is a game, it's a social one and social norms like basic manners should still apply.

This is a family game, populated mostly by children who may or may not have manners. You can't assume every player knows or cares how to be polite. In the playground of the Great Spiral, it is the adults who are guests, not the children.

A couple of problems to ponder:

This game is designed for multiplayer interaction, that's what MMORPG/ Massively Multi Online Role Playing Games are all about. That's why there are 4 spots on every battle sigil. Can you imagine what would happen if wizards started to take up an entire sigil for themsleves in crowded areas, say the Savannah in ZF, where there are limited places to engage in battle? Would you expect players to wait patiently for that single player to finish his or her battles before taking a turn? Wouldn't that place the onus for being courteous and polite on the soloist, not the others who play well with one another?

There are only a certain number of realms (20'ish). How many realms would you wish to reserve for soloists? Don't you think that would be unfair to those of us who pay a sub and expect equal access to peaceful realms? Now, if soloists want to pay more for isolated realms that don't negatively affect game-play for the regular players, that would be fine. Personally, I understand that this game is meant for shared play, and I take it for what it is.

The game will likely never have a sigil lock. It is not designed for the soloist, it is designed for social play. The best solution for the absolute soloist is to use perfect realms and play at odd hours of the day or night, when kids are less likely to be in-game. The game design isn't a problem, it's the players who need to adapt to the pre-set environment of the MMORPG.

Qbb

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
Rizzy07 wrote:

Yea sorry there are only 4 realms in the test realm so you cant solo unless you do the twighlight hours.

Survivor
Dec 27, 2008
i think noobs should have there own realm,becaues i have been playing this for 3 years now and i am getting tired of noobs poping in when your in a battle and then they pop out or joining when you just want to solo, or noobs asking everyone for a gift like i said they should have there own realm. I was playing the test realm and noobs were poping i know i was once a noob but that was many years ago,so pls think about it and give them there own realm...

Survivor
Dec 10, 2011
queenlybluebean wrote:

This is a family game, populated mostly by children who may or may not have manners. You can't assume every player knows or cares how to be polite. In the playground of the Great Spiral, it is the adults who are guests, not the children.

This game is designed for multiplayer interaction, that's what MMORPG/ Massively Multi Online Role Playing Games are all about. That's why there are 4 spots on every battle sigil. Can you imagine what would happen if wizards started to take up an entire sigil for themsleves in crowded areas, say the Savannah in ZF, where there are limited places to engage in battle? Would you expect players to wait patiently for that single player to finish his or her battles before taking a turn? Wouldn't that place the onus for being courteous and polite on the soloist, not the others who play well with one another?

There are only a certain number of realms (20'ish). How many realms would you wish to reserve for soloists? Don't you think that would be unfair to those of us who pay a sub and expect equal access to peaceful realms? Now, if soloists want to pay more for isolated realms that don't negatively affect game-play for the regular players, that would be fine. Personally, I understand that this game is meant for shared play, and I take it for what it is.

The game will likely never have a sigil lock. It is not designed for the soloist, it is designed for social play. The best solution for the absolute soloist is to use perfect realms and play at odd hours of the day or night, when kids are less likely to be in-game. The game design isn't a problem, it's the players who need to adapt to the pre-set environment of the MMORPG.

Qbb

While it's true that many children play this game, it is also true that it is the adults who are the paying customers. I believe any paying customer has a right to make a request without being invalidated or dismissed.

Second, the notion that a MMORPG is about playing socially with others the entire time is quite inaccurate. Yes, MMORPG's include tasks that may require many people joining forces in order to accomplish, but nearly every MMORPG on the market has a solid set of soloable quests and activities (this one moreso than many, actually, perhaps because it is indeed geared for a younger audience). The truth is, many other MMORPG's do have a battle-lock system that prevents other players from engaging with a foe once it has been engaged by a player and/or members of his/her party. This is not a new concept or foreign to the world of MMORPG's, not at all.

To suggest we should allow children to run around without guidance and manners in a game is no different than saying they should be allowed to in life. I believe any of us have the right to set appropriate boundaries as needed; for example, many of us currently Flee when someone enters uninvited, but that gets old, and isn't exactly fair. What I continue to read here is that we should allow children to interfere with our game play at their whim but we may not make suggestions to enhance our own game play, because it might interfere with the children's ability to do as they please. I think that is going down a slippery slope and sends a poor message to the youth of today. Until one is a paying customer with little time on one's hands, it may be difficult to appreciate the frustration that comes with being intruded upon.

That being said, and to get back on point, I do agree with the concern for space, but I don't think is an impossible task to address. I also don't think that simply because you give people the ability to close a battle circle that everyone will use this feature (let alone use it all of the time). I for one do not solo all of the time; I simply would like to see this feature available for when my time is limited and I want to get a few things done quickly without interference. It's those same times that I make myself invisible to friends and/or close teleports.

Thankfully, even with only four test realms, it's been very easy to find space to solo when time has required me to play more efficiently. And I am enjoying everything about the new world, immensely. I think every paying player deserves that right to be content in a game they pay to play.

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
Denaunie wrote:
queenlybluebean wrote:

Qbb

While it's true that many children play this game, it is also true that it is the adults who are the paying customers. I believe any paying customer has a right to make a request without being invalidated or dismissed.

Second, the notion that a MMORPG is about playing socially with others the entire time is quite inaccurate. Yes, MMORPG's include tasks that may require many people joining forces in order to accomplish, but nearly every MMORPG on the market has a solid set of soloable quests and activities (this one moreso than many, actually, perhaps because it is indeed geared for a younger audience). The truth is, many other MMORPG's do have a battle-lock system that prevents other players from engaging with a foe once it has been engaged by a player and/or members of his/her party. This is not a new concept or foreign to the world of MMORPG's, not at all.

To suggest we should allow children to run around without guidance and manners in a game is no different than saying they should be allowed to in life. I believe any of us have the right to set appropriate boundaries as needed; for example, many of us currently Flee when someone enters uninvited, but that gets old, and isn't exactly fair. What I continue to read here is that we should allow children to interfere with our game play at their whim but we may not make suggestions to enhance our own game play, because it might interfere with the children's ability to do as they please. I think that is going down a slippery slope and sends a poor message to the youth of today. Until one is a paying customer with little time on one's hands, it may be difficult to appreciate the frustration that comes with being intruded upon.

That being said, and to get back on point, I do agree with the concern for space, but I don't think is an impossible task to address. I also don't think that simply because you give people the ability to close a battle circle that everyone will use this feature (let alone use it all of the time). I for one do not solo all of the time; I simply would like to see this feature available for when my time is limited and I want to get a few things done quickly without interference. It's those same times that I make myself invisible to friends and/or close teleports.

Thankfully, even with only four test realms, it's been very easy to find space to solo when time has required me to play more efficiently. And I am enjoying everything about the new world, immensely. I think every paying player deserves that right to be content in a game they pay to play.

Bravo that was inspiring. I couldnt agree more. Its like we are using the fact that this is a family game to cover the horrid manners too often displayed. But I have to be honest I am less concerned about someone joining in on a fight when they need the same quests but there is no reason why I should be fleeing because a level 35 wizard joined my fight because he "helps his friends all the time." To the point if you cant win the fight on your own i dont want to fight for you while you throw fire cats.

Thats all I am saying on this because its old. Every since DS came out people have been asking KI to stop letting people have access to worlds they have not earned because they can not restrict themselves.

Everyone thinks that once they get a wand they can just jump in any fight and KI knows this and can care less. At least based on my experience. I am not saying KI doesnt listen just not on this topic. because its a real easy fix.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Denaunie wrote:

So why are you so worried about not being able to solo when you like? It seems you have adapted to the environment, and found a way to play that pleases you. Although you have played for only a few months, I assume that you also know how to travel perfect realms in the live game AND play at times when children are less-likely to bother you.

Good for you. It takes some adults much more than a few months to adjust to working in a multi-age, shared environment. Some, of course, never learn to enjoy the family environment and leave the game in favor of 18+ games where they can be with other "polite" adults. Haha. As if all adults are polite.

Warmest Regards,

Qbb

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
magnavore wrote:
i think noobs should have there own realm,becaues i have been playing this for 3 years now and i am getting tired of noobs poping in when your in a battle and then they pop out or joining when you just want to solo, or noobs asking everyone for a gift like i said they should have there own realm. I was playing the test realm and noobs were poping i know i was once a noob but that was many years ago,so pls think about it and give them there own realm...

No. thats stereotyping and discriminated lower levels.

Survivor
May 03, 2009
I would not want to limit the places can port to. My daughter is only 5 and she likes to play with her brother and I at the same time. She has a level 10 character and spends most of her time looking at houses when we are not playing.

By not allowing her to port to where we are would not make her feel like she is a part of things.

Survivor
Jan 21, 2012
I'm not overly fussed if unwanted people join my battles. I'm more annoyed at how rude they can be. I'm more than happy to help other people but a lot of the time people take that help for granted.
For example, just this morning I had a person join my battle, which I didn't really mind. However, when the first thing they said was "Heal me", I thought it was a little strange. So taking a quick glance at their health I saw that they had entered with only 300 health left (keeping in mind I'm a level 62 Necromancer, questing in Celestia). Now I would never join a fight without

a) first asking
or
b) having only 300 health remaining

Having already started the battle (and being death with Scarecrow spell) I didn't have any heals in my deck as I just use Scarecrow. I told him I couldn't heal him and that I was sorry and he just started demanding that I heal him. I explained why I couldn't and still he kept demanding. To top it all off he reported me as well!

I was so furious about the situation that I had to stop playing (only for a couple of hours mind you).

Sorry, but I just really needed to vent my frustrations!

I hope this hasn't happened to anyone else here (or that anyone here is a culprit of such stupidity)

:)

Survivor
Dec 11, 2008
On the opposite end of the spectrum though you have people like me joining in battles ( Especially when a new world is released ) And I normally don't ask to join a battle because (A new world was Released!! ) And I had a Wizard just bashing me out because I joined their battle. Mind you he was by himself and other battle positions were full plus it's the start of a new world and he just started his battle but yet still bashes? I'm sorry but I'm going to join the battle with or without your permission being that your on a server that says FULL and I need to complete my quest and I love playing with other wizards to make the battles A: More faster B: More creatures so a more of a percentage I will get for collect quest. :\

Sorry if I sound rude in this post everyone :(

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Avalon is going to be busy for a while with wizards running around trying to get their quests done.

I don't mind people that need to do the same quest, or have to fight the same monsters, join my battle(s).

In Avalon today, I was battling alone, and just as I was threw the spell that wiped out the enemies I was working on, three wizards (same level at 70) jumped in, bringing two more enemies with them. They were soooo apologetic. I told them "it's okay, no problem". One gave me an extra health boost, and we finished them off in no time.

When I had to fight more, two wizards joined me. One was a level 12, and the other was a level 28. They did NOT teleport to me, but to someone else. The level 12 didn't last one hit, the level 28 lasted two rounds. Both begged for me to heal them. As a Balance with Availing Hands, I could have healed them, but I didn't. It was all I could do to battle all four enemies by myself, and my health was failing fast. I finished the battle (barely), and the two that were in the battle with me, kept following me around, telling me how rude I was not to help them, and some other creative wording. I just hit 'Ignore' on each of them and continued to do my quests.

I don't think low-levels (newbies) should have a separate realm, but if they're going to port to worlds they don't have a chance in, then they should only hang out with the person they ported to (and ruin their play), not run around rampant and join everyone's battle just because they can.

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
I too had my myth in Avalon yesterday in battle. She had defeated one opponent and was close to taking out the second. Everything was fine. Until someone jumped into the fight and brought in another of the mob. The other person fled, leaving my myth to struggle through the rest of the fight.
The VERY least one can do when getting into someone's battle is to stay there and help to the best of their abilities.

Silly me, I guess, to expect (some) others to behave with manners and use courtesy towards others. Yes, I know that many, many of the players are children, but by Avalon, I'd think they would have learned a thing or two about courtesy.

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
QueQueg wrote:

I don't think low-levels (newbies) should have a separate realm, but if they're going to port to worlds they don't have a chance in, then they should only hang out with the person they ported to (and ruin their play), not run around rampant and join everyone's battle just because they can.

I agree completely. I had suggested this once before. It's fine if you want to let lower levels teleport to you in the higher worlds, but if they do, they should be "stuck like glue" to the person they teleported to...

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
Just have a teleport requestor suggested so many times with

allow talon talon level 32 life to port to you

and you click yes or no :D