Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Unfair Pip advantage?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 20, 2009
I have notices recently that enemies might have an unfail advantage when it comes to using pips. I believe Power Pips counts as two (2) regular pips so that you can reach the attack you want to use a little faster. But when it comes to using pips, what I have noticed is that if I have an attack that costs three (3) pips, whether I have the combination of 2 power pips and 1 regular, or 3 power pips (which should count as 6 pips?), all pips are used for that attack. When the enemies are in the same situation, only a combination of 3 pips are used, 1 power and 2 regular and that leaves them with more pips for the next attack. That seems unfair to the wizards which makes winnig the battle that much more difficult.

Has anyone else noticed this or are my eyes getting blurry because I've been playing this game too long? Can someone confirm my imagination?

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
Keep in mind that power pips ONLY count as 2 pips for spells from your primary school.

For example:
You are a Storm wizard and have 3 power pips. You are going to cast Storm Shark (which is a 3-pip card). It will use 2 of your power pips (because you can't split a power pip), leaving you with one power pip after the spell is cast.

However, if you are casting Sunbird (which is a 3-pip card) it will use all three of your power pips. Because Sunbird (Fire) is not a card from your primary school (Storm).

Defender
Dec 17, 2008
Power pips only count as 2 pips for a spell from your own school. So, if you're Storm, and you're going to use Storm Shark, which costs 3 pips, the pips used would be 3 normal pips, OR 1 normal pips and 1 power pip, OR 2 power pips. Half of a power pip cannot be used, so if you only have 2 power pips, and are using a spell for 3 pips, both of the power pips will be used up.

If you are storm and are going to use a spell like Sunbird, which costs 3 pips and is from the fire school, then you're going to use 3 pips, regardless of whether they are power pips, or if they are normal pips. In this case though, normal pips are used instead of power pips when possible.

Explorer
Aug 18, 2009
did you know that power pips only give two pips for your primary schools spells.

if you are casting a three pip spell from a secondary school and have three power pips it will use all three.

but those same three power pip will power a six pip spell in your primary school.

if this isn't your problem and you are burning three power pips to cast a three pip spell in your own school, you should report it as a bug

Explorer
Mar 02, 2009
Power pips only count for your own school of magic. Storm wizards use power pips for storm, death use for death, and so on. Any other school they count as one pip.

Defender
May 30, 2009
Hmmm....sounds like maybe you're trying to use a non school spell and that's why it took all of your pips. Only your school spells count when using power pips. I didn't understand this on my first character. Why did some spells that cost me 4 pips only take 2 when some cost me all 4 of my pips? When I created my second wizard I actually paid attention to what Diego was telling me when I went to him to learn about dueling. Guess I was so excited about playing the game with my first wizard I rushed through some of the key instructions. Anyway, say your school is myth and you cast a cyclops costing 4 pips ( I don't really remember what these spells cost to cast so bear with me) and you have 4 power pips. Well since the cyclops is a spell for your school it will only take 2 of those power pips but next turn you want to cast sandstorm from balance which cost 4 pips also. Since balance isn't your primary school, it's going to take 2 more pips to be able to cast because power pips don't count for non school spells. Probably same goes for the mob you're fighting. If their class is life, it's only going to cost them 2 power pips to cast seryph but would cost them all 4 of their pips to cast the cyclops. Hope I didn't confuse you too much with that. Easier way of saying this is primary school spells use power pips as 2 whereas non school spells count power pips as 1.

Survivor
Aug 20, 2009
Thank you for your replies. Now it makes more sense. I knew something didn't look right but just didn't know why.

So being an Ice Wizard, 2 power pips equals 4 regular pips when I use an ice spell but counts as only 2 when I use a spell that is anything but ice?

"I see", said the blind to his deaf wife...

Defender
Dec 17, 2008
Preacher7719 wrote:
Keep in mind that power pips ONLY count as 2 pips for spells from your primary school.

For example:
You are a Storm wizard and have 3 power pips. You are going to cast Storm Shark (which is a 3-pip card). It will use 2 of your power pips (because you can't split a power pip), leaving you with one power pip after the spell is cast.

However, if you are casting Sunbird (which is a 3-pip card) it will use all three of your power pips. Because Sunbird (Fire) is not a card from your primary school (Storm).

That was freakishly weird lol. My reply seemed so much the same as yours did.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
matvince90 wrote:
That was freakishly weird lol. My reply seemed so much the same as yours did.

Great minds think alike. :D