Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Underpowered for level 80?

AuthorMessage
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
When at the bazaar, I always make a point of scoping out other people's gear (just because I can, haha). I've seen other Balance wizards in the same gear as I'm in, but they have better stats... are these from pets, or Crowns items?

Anyway, here are my stats~ am I underpowered?

Laura Shadowsong: Balance, level 80

Health: 4094
Mana: 420
Damage: 53%
Resistance: 34 across the board
Power pips: 99%
Healing in: 45%
Critical: 114 (for school spells) , 26 (for all others)
Crit Block: 93 across the board
Accuracy: 85%

Gear:

Hood/Cape/Boots of Judgement (WW gear)
Pet: Starfish (with Pip o' Plenty, Spritely, and Spell Proof)
Wand: Staff of the Wildgrave (26 crit points, 46 block rating, and 2% armour piercing)
Ring: Ring of Rare Origins: (+15% to power pips and 21% to incoming heals)
Amulet: Berzerker's rage pendant (305 HP + Gargantuan card).

-

Any suggestions are welcome!

El Veeb/Shadowsong
archmage sorceress/the visceral avenger

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
train your pet to get maximum spell proof and i would attempt to get spell defy. I would see if you can get a mastery amulet because those 99% power pips can really be put to your advantage. Ring of rare origins is fine if you like to use helping and availing hands and or you use life spells but just make sure to get your life mastery if that is the case. One other thing, where is your athame?

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
thejordanator wrote:
train your pet to get maximum spell proof and i would attempt to get spell defy. I would see if you can get a mastery amulet because those 99% power pips can really be put to your advantage. Ring of rare origins is fine if you like to use helping and availing hands and or you use life spells but just make sure to get your life mastery if that is the case. One other thing, where is your athame?

Hi, & thanks for your thoughts!

Cookie the Starfish is still leveling up... he's only at ancient, though I hope he'll get to Epic soon (and am hoping for double spell proof). I try to play games with him between lurking at the Bazaar and helping friends out. By the way, what is Spell Defy? I've heard of it, but have no idea... I'm still pretty new to this gaming thing.

/noob moment

Also, yes~ I do pack Availing Hands, because I'm a solo player and need all the help I can get (also explains the numerous heal boosts, LOL). That said, I'll never buy a mastery amulet, since it would feel like cheating; if I ever manage to successfully farm for one, it's going to my Storm wiz (since she needs the help more, haha).

...I can't believe I forgot my athame. It was late when I posted this, so I'll include it now:

Athame is Claw of the Ghost Wolf, a no-auction item from WT~ 200 HP, 150 mana, 16% to power pip chance, +7 to block, and +12% to incoming heals.

Thanks again!
El Veeb

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Balance is a hard one to get decent stats in all areas. If you want to increase one thing, then the other stats go way down.

Rowan Dragonstrider: Balance, level 80

Health: 4429
Mana: 598
Damage: 70%
Resistance: 27 across the board
Power Pips: 87%
Healing in: 26% out: 15%
Critical: 88
Crit Block: 187 across the board
Accuracy: 85% + 12% boost

Gear:

Hood of Judgement
Cape of Judgement
Armored Boots of Avalon ( L76 ) crafted
Wand: Mandolin of Evermore
Athame: Lexicon Blade
Ring: Crystal Cave Rose ( L78 )
Amulet: Unknowable Torc

Pet: Chimera (the boosts are already included in my stats above)

Power Pips: +4%
Damage: +8%
Mana: +102 (yuk, don't need it)
Accuracy: +8%

If I switch to my Raven's Bow of Unkind Winter wand, then my Critical will increase by 42 (making it 130 ), and my Critical Block will decrease down to 149 across the board.

I found that any of the Balance crafted gear was really bad. Yeah, health would have gone up a little, but I would have sacrificed a LOT of damage, power pips, accuracy, some resistance, and healing in.

I never received a decent drop for my Athame to change out the Lexicon Blade.

Although my pet Judgement has spritely, some of her other talents didn't help much. My Chimera doesn't have spritely, but some of the other talents were more useful, except the mana boost (like I need more)

I don't worry too much about Critical, because it's so random. Plus, at the high levels, bosses have high Crit Block, and so do some of the mobs. I tried to concentrate on Damage Boost, Crit Block, Power Pips, and Accuracy.

I hope this helps!

I've been wanting to do a post like this for a long time. I'd like to do it with my other wizards as they get higher up. I will do one with my Ice, to see what other have, and what I can do to better my stats.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
QueQueg wrote:
Balance is a hard one to get decent stats in all areas. If you want to increase one thing, then the other stats go way down.

Rowan Dragonstrider: Balance, level 80

Health: 4429
Mana: 598
Damage: 70%
Resistance: 27 across the board
Power Pips: 87%
Healing in: 26% out: 15%
Critical: 88
Crit Block: 187 across the board
Accuracy: 85% + 12% boost

Gear:

Hood of Judgement
Cape of Judgement
Armored Boots of Avalon ( L76 ) crafted
Wand: Mandolin of Evermore
Athame: Lexicon Blade
Ring: Crystal Cave Rose ( L78 )
Amulet: Unknowable Torc

Pet: Chimera (the boosts are already included in my stats above)

Power Pips: +4%
Damage: +8%
Mana: +102 (yuk, don't need it)
Accuracy: +8%

If I switch to my Raven's Bow of Unkind Winter wand, then my Critical will increase by 42 (making it 130 ), and my Critical Block will decrease down to 149 across the board.

I found that any of the Balance crafted gear was really bad. Yeah, health would have gone up a little, but I would have sacrificed a LOT of damage, power pips, accuracy, some resistance, and healing in.

I never received a decent drop for my Athame to change out the Lexicon Blade.

Although my pet Judgement has spritely, some of her other talents didn't help much. My Chimera doesn't have spritely, but some of the other talents were more useful, except the mana boost (like I need more)

I don't worry too much about Critical, because it's so random. Plus, at the high levels, bosses have high Crit Block, and so do some of the mobs. I tried to concentrate on Damage Boost, Crit Block, Power Pips, and Accuracy.

I hope this helps!

I've been wanting to do a post like this for a long time. I'd like to do it with my other wizards as they get higher up. I will do one with my Ice, to see what other have, and what I can do to better my stats.

Yep, that happened... I ended up with the same wand as you, and my critical rating went way down... but my block rating is now 170? I don't suppose that's altogether horrible.

I've seen a lot of people with this lexicon blade, but heard it's from Helephant Tower, which I never completed. The one time I was in there, I got abandoned by my group in the last room and had to ditch the quest, because it can't be soloed... The other athames don't even seem worth it, at this point, except the Courtly Dirk (crafted), though it would do a number on my power pip chance and not really change anything else.

My chimera, Roxie, is an adult, but has all selfish talents (no idea where I went wrong there). Cookie the starfish has much-better stats (Pip o'Plenty, Spritely, Spell Proof)~ maybe I'll try hatching them, just to see if I get a better skill-set next time.

I desperately need an accuracy boost, though... is that from your crafted boots? Just wondering, since my wiz seems to have a thing for horribly-timed fizzles... In a life-or-death situation, it's almost guaranteed that she'll fizz on what would have been the death-blow and probably get defeated. LOL.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
vonawesome1 wrote:

Yep, that happened... I ended up with the same wand as you, and my critical rating went way down... but my block rating is now 170? I don't suppose that's altogether horrible.

I've seen a lot of people with this lexicon blade, but heard it's from Helephant Tower, which I never completed. The one time I was in there, I got abandoned by my group in the last room and had to ditch the quest, because it can't be soloed... The other athames don't even seem worth it, at this point, except the Courtly Dirk (crafted), though it would do a number on my power pip chance and not really change anything else.

My chimera, Roxie, is an adult, but has all selfish talents (no idea where I went wrong there). Cookie the starfish has much-better stats (Pip o'Plenty, Spritely, Spell Proof)~ maybe I'll try hatching them, just to see if I get a better skill-set next time.

I desperately need an accuracy boost, though... is that from your crafted boots? Just wondering, since my wiz seems to have a thing for horribly-timed fizzles... In a life-or-death situation, it's almost guaranteed that she'll fizz on what would have been the death-blow and probably get defeated. LOL.

The best thing to do is figure out what YOU want for your wizard. What's more important? Critical or Block? Accuracy or Health? etc, etc, etc.

Most of my Accuracy boost comes from my pet Chimera. For the best Accuracy, the Sidhe wand (for crowns) gives a great power pip and accuracy boost, but, it doesn't give you a boost in Critical and Critical Block :(

I don't know about you, but I usually keep some extra gear in my backpack, or bank in case I want or need it. What gear I'm wearing now, is the best balance of what I want for my wizard, but sometimes I like to switch things up. Of course, stats can change a little or drastically, but with a good mix and match, it shouldn't be too different.

Other gear I have:

Olyphant's Balanced Jacket - L68
504 hp, 3% accuracy, 51 critical-all, 18% damage, 46/61/41 critical block for fire/ice/storm, 2% heal in

Unbroken Spiral Robe
The same stats as the Olyphant's Jacket, except for 41/51/56 critical block for death/life/myth

Wyrd-Walker Coat - L74 (crafted)
395 hp, 12% resistance-all, 4% accuracy, 55 critical, 19% damage, 50/71/45 critical block for fire/ice/storm

Armored Boots of Avalon - L76 (crafted) - currently wearing
224 hp, 86 critical block-all, 6% resistance-all, 4% accuracy, 11% damage, 2% accuracy/ice, 6% damage/ice

Athames:

Dagger of the King's Court - L76
366 hp, 260 mana, 14% power pip, 35 critical block/balance, 3% damage, 38 critical block/myth

Queen's Ever Sharp Wit - L76
319 hp, 264 mana, 14% power pip, 35 critical block/balance, 10% heal/in

Rings

Golden Ring of Battle - L56
235 hp, 140 mana, 14% power pip, 7 critical block-all, 7% damage

Bannerman's Honor Bound Ring - L72
293 hp, 170 mana, 3 green globe, 11% power pip, 14 critical block-all, 3% damage

For Balance wizards, the Lexicon Blade works pretty good, although I wish it had Healing IN, instead of Healing OUT. I've kept some of the other blades, in case I want to switch out for a while.

A good idea that I came up with, is to do a spreadsheet on the different gear. Put the attributes on the side, and the name of the gear at the top. One page for hats, one page for robes, etc. That way you can do a side-by-side comparison of what you want and what you have.

I too, check out other Balance wizard stats, and I make notes of gear I would like (and don't currently have), then I look it up on Central's Wiki to find out where I can farm for it.

We'll have to get together, and I'll help you with the Helephant Tower. I can use my Balance, or my Ice to help!

Survivor
Sep 05, 2011
Well all i see that is bad is health. I am level 64 with bazaar gear and only have 140 less than that.Also i have more crit (99 just from hat) but you got more than 100 so thats good. WW gear may look cool but to me its not very good.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
QueQueg wrote:
vonawesome1 wrote:

The best thing to do is figure out what YOU want for your wizard. What's more important? Critical or Block? Accuracy or Health? etc, etc, etc.

Most of my Accuracy boost comes from my pet Chimera. For the best Accuracy, the Sidhe wand (for crowns) gives a great power pip and accuracy boost, but, it doesn't give you a boost in Critical and Critical Block :(

I don't know about you, but I usually keep some extra gear in my backpack, or bank in case I want or need it. What gear I'm wearing now, is the best balance of what I want for my wizard, but sometimes I like to switch things up. Of course, stats can change a little or drastically, but with a good mix and match, it shouldn't be too different.

Other gear I have:

Olyphant's Balanced Jacket - L68
504 hp, 3% accuracy, 51 critical-all, 18% damage, 46/61/41 critical block for fire/ice/storm, 2% heal in

Unbroken Spiral Robe
The same stats as the Olyphant's Jacket, except for 41/51/56 critical block for death/life/myth

Wyrd-Walker Coat - L74 (crafted)
395 hp, 12% resistance-all, 4% accuracy, 55 critical, 19% damage, 50/71/45 critical block for fire/ice/storm

Armored Boots of Avalon - L76 (crafted) - currently wearing
224 hp, 86 critical block-all, 6% resistance-all, 4% accuracy, 11% damage, 2% accuracy/ice, 6% damage/ice

Athames:

Dagger of the King's Court - L76
366 hp, 260 mana, 14% power pip, 35 critical block/balance, 3% damage, 38 critical block/myth

Queen's Ever Sharp Wit - L76
319 hp, 264 mana, 14% power pip, 35 critical block/balance, 10% heal/in

Rings

Golden Ring of Battle - L56
235 hp, 140 mana, 14% power pip, 7 critical block-all, 7% damage

Bannerman's Honor Bound Ring - L72
293 hp, 170 mana, 3 green globe, 11% power pip, 14 critical block-all, 3% damage

For Balance wizards, the Lexicon Blade works pretty good, although I wish it had Healing IN, instead of Healing OUT. I've kept some of the other blades, in case I want to switch out for a while.

A good idea that I came up with, is to do a spreadsheet on the different gear. Put the attributes on the side, and the name of the gear at the top. One page for hats, one page for robes, etc. That way you can do a side-by-side comparison of what you want and what you have.

I too, check out other Balance wizard stats, and I make notes of gear I would like (and don't currently have), then I look it up on Central's Wiki to find out where I can farm for it.

We'll have to get together, and I'll help you with the Helephant Tower. I can use my Balance, or my Ice to help!

I actually completed Helephant Tower last night, with a group of people from Central~ never found the blade, but I did get the Aureate Band (and promptly sold it, haha). As a mostly-solo player, I can't afford to lose my incoming heal-boost... I probably wouldn't survive any of the longer instances without it.

Other than that, I'd rather have a high block-rating than high chance of critical... I find that I play her defensively~ low damage, high resistance and lots of incoming heal-boosts. In fact, with the new wand, her incoming heal is 50%, outgoing is 5%.

I seriously hate crafting, but figured it couldn't hurt (since I didn't need, like, 7000 aether and sunstone); I crafted the wyrd-walker coat yesterday, but it did a huge number on most of my other stats... so it's in my bank for now. Where is the recipe for the boots? If it's anywhere past the Outer Yard, I'm not getting in, since I maxed out before completing Avalon and would rather not lose the XP.

I do have a Sidhe Staff, but gave it to my Storm wiz (since, again, she'll need the help more); I tried equipping it to my sorcerer as well~ it boosted her accuracy, and gave her about 115% to power pips, but all of her other stats went way down... and I can't afford to have her deal low damage AND have /no/ crit block.

I love your spreadsheet idea, though~ I already kinda do that, but in the old-fashioned (read: pen & paper charts) way. And yeah, we should definitely meet up and go farming, since I don't know many other Balance wizards, who can help me with this sort of thing (I've found that most of us lose patience and quit before we hit Legendary status... Sad).

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
dude101271 wrote:
Well all i see that is bad is health. I am level 64 with bazaar gear and only have 140 less than that.Also i have more crit (99 just from hat) but you got more than 100 so thats good. WW gear may look cool but to me its not very good.

Unfortunately, health for Balance wizards don't improve much as you level up more. WW gear does provide some of the best stats a Balance wizard needs.

Most crafted gear doesn't provide what we need or want. We would lose power pip chance, damage boost, and some resistance. Yeah, we could get a lot more critical and some extra critical block, but the loss of other stats is too much, in my opinion.

But, it's up to each Balance wizard to decide what they want for their wizard.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
QueQueg wrote:
dude101271 wrote:

Unfortunately, health for Balance wizards don't improve much as you level up more. WW gear does provide some of the best stats a Balance wizard needs.

Most crafted gear doesn't provide what we need or want. We would lose power pip chance, damage boost, and some resistance. Yeah, we could get a lot more critical and some extra critical block, but the loss of other stats is too much, in my opinion.

But, it's up to each Balance wizard to decide what they want for their wizard.

Yep, agreed.

I still use my WW gear, 20 levels later; ring and athame are from WT~ one of my wands is from the hoard-pack, the other is an Avalon boss-drop, and I alternate them, depending on what I'm fighting. I wish I could hit harder, but it's not worth giving up my other stats for... I guess the best offense is a good defense.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
vonawesome wrote:
Other than that, I'd rather have a high block-rating than high chance of critical... I find that I play her defensively~ low damage, high resistance and lots of incoming heal-boosts. In fact, with the new wand, her incoming heal is 50%, outgoing is 5%.

True! It takes a lot of mixing and matching to come up with the right balance you want/need for your wizard. I too, would rather have better blocking than have a higher critical, since critical is so random.

Where is the recipe for the boots?

Shane MacGabhann (the leprechan), is in The Wild, and sells shoe/athame/ring/amulet recipes. I think I got my boot recipe there. It's an all-schools recipe that had the best stats for Balance. The one specifically for Balance school wasn't good at all, so I didn't get it.

Lewelyn is in Dun Dara, and sells hat/robe recipes. I didn't get anything for my Balance there, as the stats were so bad. Yeah, good health, but a major loss of other necessary stats.

Yeah, my spreadsheet consists of pen and paper as well (LOL). I use a ruler with my favorite purple pen. The lines still aren't perfectly straight, but it does the job! :)

I still use my WW gear, 20 levels later; ring and athame are from WT~ one of my wands is from the hoard-pack, the other is an Avalon boss-drop, and I alternate them, depending on what I'm fighting. I wish I could hit harder, but it's not worth giving up my other stats for... I guess the best offense is a good defense.

I agree. For me, the damage loss and other stats are not worth giving up. It's tough enough to run a Balance wizard through the Spiral. We need all the help we can get.