Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Two quick questions about spells

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 09, 2013
Hello guys

Wishing you all a pleasant and peaceful time during this festive season, and thanks heaps for valuable replies in my previous posts

This is almost the end of my third month on the game and i have another two questions about spells to ask:

1. Do crafted spells become permanent spells in your deck once crafted?

I have bought recipes for death trap and feint from the death tree in Nightside, Wizard City, and I wonder
if I should craft them or I should just go buy their tc versions at the bazaar.

2. What is the purpose of spears such as a set of spirit spears, or their elemental counterparts?

When I fought the loremaster alongside a higher level wizard the other day, I noticed he cast a set of spirit spears before attacking the boss. In my understanding, a spear is meant for increasing piercing
percentage in case there's a shield of the corresponding school up.

There was , however, no shields on the loremaster at the time so i wonder why he did that.

Thanks a lot for your time and any valuable input you could share

Best Wishes

Zachary Crow, a happy Master Necromancer

Defender
Apr 17, 2009
1) Crafted spells do become permanent and into your spellbook yes.
2) Some people just waste their times with spears I guess, Unless you were second, If you were second he was probably trying to make sure he could do damage even if there was a shield. I have heard a rumor that Pierce and turn into Boost sometimes though, I'm not sure.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
What Miguel said about crafted spells is true. However what you asked about aren't crafted spells. The recipes you bought are for crafted TC. They are the same as the cards bought in the bazaar. Crafted spells are availlable from recipe vendors in Mooshu and Avalon and can be learned from the Loremaster. Crafted spells are all attacks.

Historian
May 06, 2009
zksr on Dec 27, 2013 wrote:
Hello guys

Wishing you all a pleasant and peaceful time during this festive season, and thanks heaps for valuable replies in my previous posts

This is almost the end of my third month on the game and i have another two questions about spells to ask:

1. Do crafted spells become permanent spells in your deck once crafted?

I have bought recipes for death trap and feint from the death tree in Nightside, Wizard City, and I wonder
if I should craft them or I should just go buy their tc versions at the bazaar.

2. What is the purpose of spears such as a set of spirit spears, or their elemental counterparts?

When I fought the loremaster alongside a higher level wizard the other day, I noticed he cast a set of spirit spears before attacking the boss. In my understanding, a spear is meant for increasing piercing
percentage in case there's a shield of the corresponding school up.

There was , however, no shields on the loremaster at the time so i wonder why he did that.

Thanks a lot for your time and any valuable input you could share

Best Wishes

Zachary Crow, a happy Master Necromancer
1.) Some spells, such as Lore Spells like Deer Knight or Brimstone Revanent, can be crafted and become permanent additions to your arsenal. Once you craft a Lore spell, they never leave, even if you retrain your training points. Be warned! It's no easy challenge However, crafted treasure cards are not permanent. Once you craft it and use it, it's gone for good.

2.) Spears are Pierce increasing Charms like their Blade counterparts. Spears are acquired in Avalon, in the Wild to be specific.They're purpose is to increase or add Pierce to the next damage or steal spell you cast. Pierce, like Stun Resistance, is a very situational stat since it will only take effect once a defense mechanism is placed. Some players don't really know this and use Pierce enhancers anyway, even if there are no shields up (which isn't bad or wrong). It's just best to prepare a Spear when an enemy has a shield up for better use.

Hope this helps!

Survivor
Mar 11, 2011
1) Yes, crafted spells are permanent.
But what you bought from the Death Tree were not spells. They were Treasure Cards.

Most of the spells the Loremaster drops can be crafted for a decent amount of Gold. For example, the recipe for Ninja Pigs costs 60,000 Gold and can be purchased from Master Yan Kan Kook in the Shirataki Temple.

Whether or not you prefer to craft Treasure Cards or purchase them for Gold is up to your decision.

2) Depending on the school your partner was, it may have helped.
If he were a Balance wizard, using a Spear would cut into the Resist the Loremaster would have against a Balance attack.

In PVP, Spears are especially used for cutting into Resist.
It isn't always just piercing into a shield.

However, like MiguelThefirst said, people just use them as a "just in case" sort of thing. Considering the minions the Loremaster has, it's likely a shield could have been placed before you all attacked.