Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Two question one about a spell

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Nov 11, 2010
Hi all, I have 2 questionsWhat the difference between block and resistanceAnd which is better to haveMy second question is about a spell name shift,the spell look like blade with a arrow pointing away from it. How does this work ,and when do you use it Thanks for any help

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Resistance is your defense modifier against attacks +20% resist means the attack total is reduced by 20%. Flat resist, like in jewels +20 means it removes 20 damage points from the attack. Block refers to Critical attacks against you. If the attacker crits, his attack does double damage. IF you block, then it does normal damage anyways. It only comes into play in PvP and at higher levels.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Shift is useful in some instances, such as Pendragon. At the start of battle he hits you with a Fire Dragon that never ends, doing 100 or 200 damage per round. You can cast Shift on it and put it on him instead. It's useful on bosses with powerful damage over time attacks, but not something you'd carry all the time.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
paul the wizard on Oct 31, 2015 wrote:
Hi all, I have 2 questionsWhat the difference between block and resistanceAnd which is better to haveMy second question is about a spell name shift,the spell look like blade with a arrow pointing away from it. How does this work ,and when do you use it Thanks for any help
1) resistance reduces the amount of incoming damage you take; block is your ability to cancel out your opponent's critical hit. both are useful, though block is best to have if you are farming darkmoor (since the enemies have 40-75% pierce and it cancels out most wizards' resistance).

2) your description of the spell in question made me think of this:
http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Spell:Shift

-von "these are not the wizards you are looking for" shadowsong
exalted

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
paul the wizard on Oct 31, 2015 wrote:
Block: Block pertains to critical. Your block percentage is your chance to "block" a critical hit and negate an opponent's critical hit and in so doing, cause it to only do normal damage.

Resistance: Resistance pertains to damage. Your resistance percentage will negate an amount from an opponent's hit. If the opponent hits for 200 damage and you have a 17% resistance, the damage will be reduced to 166.

Also, a third category is Defensive Jewels... these give a FLAT resistance to damage. Using the above example, using a damage resist jewel of 17, a hit of 200 would be reduced by a flat 17 bringing it down to 183.

Explorer
Nov 11, 2010
I like to thank Seethe 42 and Dr Von for helping me understand the game questions I was confused about you both have been a great help.Paul The Wizard Thanks again.