Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Trying to understand the cards in my Deck.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 11, 2012
Where can I learn how to use blades, shields, traps and heals?

I am Level 37 Fire, and unable to defeat Mr. Incinerator in Marleybone, in the 'Burning Books' Quest. I need to know how best to use these cards in a fight.

Am sure this topic must have been discussed many times in the past - can anyone refer me to previous threads that deal with this subject? Help would be much appreciated.

Administrator
Have you completed Diego's advanced tutorial?
If Diego in Unicorn Way has a gold ? over his head, he has a tutorial for you.

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Apr 11, 2012
Thank you. I visited Diego, and was disappointed. His 'Advanced Tutorial' consists of very basic instructions, I imagine for newly joined Wizards, so I still need to know how to use Shields/Traps etc. for more advanced duels.

I am completely stuck in the game at the moment, and don't seem able to progress at all, which is disheartening and getting very boring. I need some new quests, but Falmea insists that I complete 'Burning Book' quest and collect her book, before she will help me.

Maybe this is the end of the line for me - just not smart enough :(

Administrator
While it's true that Diego's tutorial is meant for level 10s, it sometimes can clear up misunderstandings about cards. Fire is one of the more strategically based schools, so I understand your confusion. Fire has lots of spells that do damage over time, and inflict damage while healing the caster.

I'll give you a brief tutorial here, and toying with these cards in a safe area (go back to Unicorn way where you won't get defeated :) ) will glean more meaning.
You can also find wonderful descriptions here on our fansite: http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Category:Fire_Spells

Blades:
Blades are a positive card that you place on yourself or other teammates. Fireblade, for example, when cast will hover around the head of the Wizard, and the next time they cast a Fire spell of any kind, it will increase the power of that fire spell by 40%, meaning a card that normally does 100 damage, would do 140 damage provided no other buffs were present.

Shields:
Blades are a positive card that you place on yourself or other teammates. Fireshield, for example, when cast will hover around the knees of the Wizard and the next time a fire spell is cast on that Wizard, the damage will decrease by 80% - so an in coming damage fire spell that does 100 damage normally, would hit the shield, destroy the shield and then only do 20 damage to the Wizard. (the shield soaked up 80% of the damage)

Traps:
Traps are a positive card that you place on your foe.
Firetrap, for example, when cast on the foe will hover around their knees and the next time you cast a fire spell on that foe, the trap will increase the amount of damage your spell will do by 25%. If you cast a fire spell that does 100 damage to that foe, the trap will grab that spell, increase it by 25% and then pass the damage on to the foe. The trap is used up.

Prism Spells: (these may help you with Mr I)
Prism spells are a positive card that you place on your foe.
Fire Prism, for example, takes an incoming fire spell and converts the damage to Ice, something that Fire Creatures are weaker to.
Cast the Fire Prism on your foe before you are going to cast a large Fire spell. The Prism will take the incoming damage and convert it to Ice Damage then unleash the damage on the foe.

Heals:
While healing spells are the specialty of Life School, you as a Fire Wizard have your own options, beyond Pixie which all schools receive. Fire Wizards can train Link which does damage to the foe, while healing the caster over time. This is a great little spell to keep in your deck for emergencies.

I hope you'll take a moment to read up on the spells, practice a little and get comfortable in your fiery self.

If you find that you're getting frustrated, try a different school for a little bit. You can have up to 6 different Wizards on your account, and you may find that life or myth are more to your liking. Try them all (you can delete characters you don't like) until you find the right school for you.

Don't give up yet, there are many adventures awaiting you!

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Sep 11, 2010
Luckysal369 wrote:
Where can I learn how to use blades, shields, traps and heals?

I am Level 37 Fire, and unable to defeat Mr. Incinerator in Marleybone, in the 'Burning Books' Quest. I need to know how best to use these cards in a fight.

Am sure this topic must have been discussed many times in the past - can anyone refer me to previous threads that deal with this subject? Help would be much appreciated.

Try here young wizard: http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245063

Central has quite a bit of info on how to play your wizard that if you are willing to research can help you a lot all the way down to basic game play for fire. I did not find this site early on but since refer to it for all school spell fights. You are not alone in these being difficult, I usually get defeated 3 times, sign off, look at Wizard101Central.com, print out fight directions, sign back on and get the job done.

I agree with testing your skills in low risk fights, looking into the best gear for your wizard, it is critical to learn how to set up your deck and so on, as you progress in the game you need to tune up your wizard up about every 5 levels at least till you reach level 60, the Bazaar becomes my hang out.

Hero
May 02, 2009
Professor Greyrose wrote:
While it's true that Diego's tutorial is meant for level 10s, it sometimes can clear up misunderstandings about cards. Fire is one of the more strategically based schools, so I understand your confusion. Fire has lots of spells that do damage over time, and inflict damage while healing the caster.

I'll give you a brief tutorial here, and toying with these cards in a safe area (go back to Unicorn way where you won't get defeated :) ) will glean more meaning.
You can also find wonderful descriptions here on our fansite: http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Category:Fire_Spells

Blades:
Blades are a positive card that you place on yourself or other teammates. Fireblade, for example, when cast will hover around the head of the Wizard, and the next time they cast a Fire spell of any kind, it will increase the power of that fire spell by 40%, meaning a card that normally does 100 damage, would do 140 damage provided no other buffs were present.

I think you may have fireblade mixed up with iceblade and lifeblade. Fireblade boosts fire spells by 35%, while iceblade and lifeblade boosts spells by 40%.

Anyway, to the op, blades are charms that hang over your head and give your next attack a boost depending on the school of the blade (i.e. fireblade would boost the attack power of a fire spell like firecat). Traps do the same thing except they're wards that hang by the enemy.

Prisms are a special kind of ward in that it changes the school of an attack. Since your fire, fire prism will change the fire damage into ice damage, which is very handy for fighting fire enemies (and also death enemies in the higher level worlds like celestia, as enemies gain a 2nd weakness, which in deaths case is ice).

I didn't understand how power pips worked at first until I went back through diegos tutorial quest on my myth wizard (my second wizard, my first is a fire).

I hope we helped some.

Survivor
Apr 11, 2012
Thank you so much. Just what I need. Now I shall try to use the cards correctly, and hope to make some progress :)

Survivor
Apr 11, 2012
Thank you for your reply flash33. When I try to get to Wizard 101 Cantral forum, (I used the link you kindly provided), it comes up with error 403, and refers me to the webmaster, however, I have not managed to get an email through to him. It sounds a great site, so will try and sort this problem out.

Defender
May 24, 2012
Good question Sal, and I read this closely, since my fire wizard is having the same problem (or, Mom doesn't know which card to use!). I've been afraid to keep too many shields in my deck because it seems like I can't get to my spell cards. I learned a couple things by reading these answers. Now I need to go back and re-study the pip thing.

Survivor
Apr 11, 2012
Professor Greyrose, I have been trying all day to register with Wizard 101 Central fansite, but Error 403 keeps coming up, and they will not allow me in. Why is this, and what can I do about it

Administrator
Luckysal369 wrote:
Professor Greyrose, I have been trying all day to register with Wizard 101 Central fansite, but Error 403 keeps coming up, and they will not allow me in. Why is this, and what can I do about it

You need to register with a non-free email account. Yahoo, Gmail and other disposable email addresses cannot be used on their site. If you have an email address associated with your internet provider (sbc global, roadrunner etc) use it to register with Wizard101Central.

community@wizard101.com