Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Trying To Help Out Wizards with Text Chat

AuthorMessage
Delver
Jun 17, 2012
Good day to all wizards of the spiral, I had a question about chat. I am a paying member and have access to open chat. I will occasionally come across a wizard with menu chat only who could use some help as in they have gear
that is far below their current level. Or maybe they have mismatched gear and when you look at the individual pieces you can tell that they do not know much about what gear is "good" for their school/level. I wish to help these people by telling them they can go to bazarre, farm certain places, or etc. but without being able to say much it is not easy. Now I have been in water works with menu chat players and was told they can see what we say as open chatters, but they cannot respond in kind. Is this true? I want to know if for example I am able to talk openly to a menu chat wizard and give them guidance about the gear thing if I see it. I remember when my very first wizard was questing in Moo Shu and I had no clue what I was doing, I sure wish someone would have told me then!! I was lucky to make some good friends when I got to Celestia and they really changed my whole game experience by patiently showing me about how to keep my gear up as I level, (not to mention stitching, thank you Angel Dust). So for all those wizards out there who may be stumbling through the first few worlds without knowing they could have an easier time, can we talk to these people somehow? If not, would KI consider putting some menu chat options such as "Would you like some help upgrading your gear" "You don't have to use crowns to update your gear and be more powerful" "You need a higher level ring/athame/wand". Thank you for your help and feedback!

Morgan Death Rider 93

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
They can not see your Open Chat unless they have Open chat. That's why for example regular Text Chat players only see "..." for words that are yellow in Open Chat. Menu can only see Menu etc. Your example from Waterworks may have been a player that had open chat that has been muted. There is a thread dedicated to suggestions for more chat options it can be found: here. You can put your suggestions there. Good luck!

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
Nordic Champion on Jun 17, 2016 wrote:
Good day to all wizards of the spiral, I had a question about chat. I am a paying member and have access to open chat. I will occasionally come across a wizard with menu chat only who could use some help as in they have gear
that is far below their current level. Or maybe they have mismatched gear and when you look at the individual pieces you can tell that they do not know much about what gear is "good" for their school/level. I wish to help these people by telling them they can go to bazarre, farm certain places, or etc. but without being able to say much it is not easy. Now I have been in water works with menu chat players and was told they can see what we say as open chatters, but they cannot respond in kind. Is this true? I want to know if for example I am able to talk openly to a menu chat wizard and give them guidance about the gear thing if I see it. I remember when my very first wizard was questing in Moo Shu and I had no clue what I was doing, I sure wish someone would have told me then!! I was lucky to make some good friends when I got to Celestia and they really changed my whole game experience by patiently showing me about how to keep my gear up as I level, (not to mention stitching, thank you Angel Dust). So for all those wizards out there who may be stumbling through the first few worlds without knowing they could have an easier time, can we talk to these people somehow? If not, would KI consider putting some menu chat options such as "Would you like some help upgrading your gear" "You don't have to use crowns to update your gear and be more powerful" "You need a higher level ring/athame/wand". Thank you for your help and feedback!

Morgan Death Rider 93
Your title and message are talking about two different sets of people, so I'll explain how each works.

Menu chatters are ones who can only use, and only see, those set words and phrases that come up when you click that blue speech bubble at the top left. They cannot see anything typed in. You can determine if they are menu chatters by having a bubble with a red slash through it next to their name.

Text chatters are the ones who can use the typing chat, and see things typed out. However, they cannot see anything that comes through as red nor yellow. Open chatters cannot see anything in red, but they can see words that appear in yellow.

Hope that cleared a bit up for you.

Best of luck!
S.S.

Mastermind
Mar 01, 2015
No, this is not true. Unless a wizard has open chat, they cannot see what other people are saying while using open chat. I know this because I do not have open chat and every time I go to the Commons I see little speech bublles with "..." inside of it, and on an unrelated note, that kid of annoys me sometimes.