Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Tips for New Players!

AuthorMessage
Squire
Jun 19, 2009
Ok, I wanted to give some tips to all the new players. This may solve some problems with confusion of battling and other situations. So all new players, here are some tips of the Spiral:

Battle tips: If a higher level has a trap, do not waste it on a low level attack unless asked to. Most high levels know what they are doing, and you might not want to interfere.
Make sure, if your in a higher world you are not questing in, always ask to join. This is known as polite. If rejected, go search for another battle! Not everyone has the same answer!
Use teamwork! You can use many strategies. For example: Your death friend has bladed himself, and you used a death trap. Then, next turn, your friend kills the monster with the blade and trap.
If you are below level 5, you will soon learn from Diego, exactly how battling or pvp works.

Tips for the Commons:
If someone calls you, "Noob" ignore this term. It means new player but in a rude way. Many high levels will cal you this if you have text chat or open. I have no idea why, but some high levels are way too smug.
Be polite to all players to avoid fights or other bad situations. If your nice to someone, they will most likely be nice to you.
Making friends is a great way to progress through the game! Be sure to make a lot so they can maybe help you with questing later.
Politely ask high levels to help, or anyone your level for that matter. Some may reject, but like I said before, not everyone has the same answers so keep trying.

Tips for questing:
As I said in the commons tips, friends are always a great way to go for helping with quests! Some other ways are:
If you have crowns, summon henchmen. they are a huge help with hard bosses, and cost very little.
Don't do all main quests, (As to following storyline) all at once. Do some sides too, so you get some level in. You don't wanna be a low level facing a high level boss!
You can enable "Quest Helper" in Options. It will show you where to go for the quest you are working on!

Follow these tips, and you'll be off to a good start! If some of you have tis you would like to share, questions, or even comments, feel free to reply!
Thanks!
~James Skullwielder
Legendary Death

Historian
May 01, 2010
hunteray09 wrote:
Ok, I wanted to give some tips to all the new players. This may solve some problems with confusion of battling and other situations. So all new players, here are some tips of the Spiral:

Battle tips: If a higher level has a trap, do not waste it on a low level attack unless asked to. Most high levels know what they are doing, and you might not want to interfere.
Make sure, if your in a higher world you are not questing in, always ask to join. This is known as polite. If rejected, go search for another battle! Not everyone has the same answer!
Use teamwork! You can use many strategies. For example: Your death friend has bladed himself, and you used a death trap. Then, next turn, your friend kills the monster with the blade and trap.
If you are below level 5, you will soon learn from Diego, exactly how battling or pvp works.

Tips for the Commons:
If someone calls you, "Noob" ignore this term. It means new player but in a rude way. Many high levels will cal you this if you have text chat or open. I have no idea why, but some high levels are way too smug.
Be polite to all players to avoid fights or other bad situations. If your nice to someone, they will most likely be nice to you.
Making friends is a great way to progress through the game! Be sure to make a lot so they can maybe help you with questing later.
Politely ask high levels to help, or anyone your level for that matter. Some may reject, but like I said before, not everyone has the same answers so keep trying.

Tips for questing:
As I said in the commons tips, friends are always a great way to go for helping with quests! Some other ways are:
If you have crowns, summon henchmen. they are a huge help with hard bosses, and cost very little.
Don't do all main quests, (As to following storyline) all at once. Do some sides too, so you get some level in. You don't wanna be a low level facing a high level boss!
You can enable "Quest Helper" in Options. It will show you where to go for the quest you are working on!

Follow these tips, and you'll be off to a good start! If some of you have tis you would like to share, questions, or even comments, feel free to reply!
Thanks!
~James Skullwielder
Legendary Death

even though i disagree with some let me add to this in the commons, spamming friendship DOES NOT give you a better chance of him/her adding you really, it usually gets you on the ignore list (least everytime i have seen it)

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
slammer111 wrote:
hunteray09 wrote:

Tips for the Commons:

Tips for questing:

Thanks!
~James Skullwielder
Legendary Death

even though i disagree with some let me add to this in the commons, spamming friendship DOES NOT give you a better chance of him/her adding you really, it usually gets you on the ignore list (least everytime i have seen it)

I didn't mean it as spam haha. I meant if they say no, maybe ask someone lower of a level.

Champion
May 03, 2011
James, what a nice--and useful--post. I'm sure new players will appreciate the tips. I especially like your emphasis on being polite. And I agree that some high-level players are "way too smug." With this in mind I would add this to your mini-guide: when you get to Grand or Legend status, remember that you once started out as a Novice. It sounds like you remember this, and play with that in mind. I'm currently kind of fed up with all the rude behavior in Celestia--people making nasty remarks in battle, blaming others for not following their instructions, etc.--if more people remembered that this game is supposed to be a team effort, and that other people are usually doing their best, it would be more fun to quest in the higher worlds. Thanks for sharing your excellent attitude.

Tabitha, Level 60 Myth

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
Don't be afraid to ask for help with quests, but don't ask someone you just friended to gift you crowns items! In fact, unless you've known a person for a really long time, don't ask them for crowns items! I personally delete anyone who does immediately, change realms, log off and back on, and write their name on my notepad so i know never to accept their friend requests again. -eli and crew

Delver
Aug 12, 2009
My new player tip is to NOT use a wand.

Get right to your damage spells and bypass the many wand spells most early equipment forces into your deck.

Devin Darksong – lvl 60 Death
Digby Darksong – lvl 60 Life
Duncan Darksong – lvl 60 balance
Dylan Darksong – lvl 60 Storm
Dustan Darksong – lvl 60 Myth
Dolan Darksong – lvl 60 Ice

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
tabby714 wrote:
James, what a nice--and useful--post. I'm sure new players will appreciate the tips. I especially like your emphasis on being polite. And I agree that some high-level players are "way too smug." With this in mind I would add this to your mini-guide: when you get to Grand or Legend status, remember that you once started out as a Novice. It sounds like you remember this, and play with that in mind. I'm currently kind of fed up with all the rude behavior in Celestia--people making nasty remarks in battle, blaming others for not following their instructions, etc.--if more people remembered that this game is supposed to be a team effort, and that other people are usually doing their best, it would be more fun to quest in the higher worlds. Thanks for sharing your excellent attitude.

Tabitha, Level 60 Myth

Exactly!

Survivor
Jul 25, 2011
Moribund wrote:

Get right to your damage spells and bypass the many wand spells most early equipment forces into your deck.

Devin Darksong – lvl 60 Death
Digby Darksong – lvl 60 Life
Duncan Darksong – lvl 60 balance
Dylan Darksong – lvl 60 Storm
Dustan Darksong – lvl 60 Myth
Dolan Darksong – lvl 60 Ice

Hmm.. my highest level is only 37, but I find a wand useful for finishing off mobs low in health or breaking debuffs/shields. That's my two cents though.

Eric Earthwhisper - 37 Myth
Alric Jadeleaf - 15 Life

Survivor
Jul 19, 2011
Moribund wrote:

I would honestly keep at a minimum 1 want spell handy just in case they shield themselves early against your school. I would rather have them eat a shield with a wand rather than a hefty damage spell unless you have already trapped/bladed. If that has already happened, then DO NOT use your wand.