Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The impossible dream.

AuthorMessage
Defender
Sep 29, 2010
124
For a while I was unsure about what I wanted to be when I grew up. When I started playing this game and fell in love with it, I realized this was what I wanted to do, make Wizard101 bigger and better. But, after years of trying to draw and animate characters and failing miserably at both of them, I now feel that this dream is impossible. I want to be able to create new worlds and new characters, but without being able to draw or create, there is no way those ideas can ever be brought to life. Sure, I have good ideas, I agree, but are they really that great when you CAN'T make them real? I know people say I shouldn't ever give up, but after years of trying to learn how to draw and only becoming worse, its pretty obivous I'm just wasting my time chasing after an impossible fantasy. Im not trying to sound like I deserve a pitty party, because I don't, I'm just saying I think its time I find a new and possible dream to follow. I'm sorry KingsIsle, I have FAILED you!

Administrator
It is not an impossible dream. Trust me when I say that not everyone at KingsIsle can draw :)

If art & animation are not quite right for you, look into design, programming, production, sound and integration!

If you’re serious about exploring this industry, there are three schools that specialize in various aspects of video game development. Most companies, including our own, require employees to hold a degree, preferably in their field of employment, and some of the staff at KingsIsle come from these three schools.

Digipen: http://www.digipen.edu
FullSail: http://www.fullsail.edu
GuildHall: http://guildhall.smu.edu

Python: For those of you who like to learn, there's a FREE book about programming with a FREE language called Python. "Invent with Python" was written to be understandable by kids as young as 10 to 12 years old, although it is great for anyone of any age who has never programmed before. For more on this free book, visit http://inventwithpython.com/

Scratch: Scratch is a programming language that makes it easy to create your own interactive stories, animations, games, music, and art -- and share your creations on the web. As young people create and share Scratch projects, they learn important mathematical and computational ideas, while also learning to think creatively, reason systematically, and work collaboratively.For more information about Scratch see this website:
http://scratch.mit.edu/

Just keep writing down and refining your ideas, look for new ways to do something that currently exists, and continue to expand your knowledge of math, physics, geometry and history, all of which play a vital role in making and designing a video game.


community@wizard101.com
Defender
Sep 29, 2010
124
Professor Greyrose wrote:
It is not an impossible dream. Trust me when I say that not everyone at KingsIsle can draw :)

If art & animation are not quite right for you, look into design, programming, production, sound and integration!

If you’re serious about exploring this industry, there are three schools that specialize in various aspects of video game development. Most companies, including our own, require employees to hold a degree, preferably in their field of employment, and some of the staff at KingsIsle come from these three schools.

Digipen: http://www.digipen.edu
FullSail: http://www.fullsail.edu
GuildHall: http://guildhall.smu.edu

Python: For those of you who like to learn, there's a FREE book about programming with a FREE language called Python. "Invent with Python" was written to be understandable by kids as young as 10 to 12 years old, although it is great for anyone of any age who has never programmed before. For more on this free book, visit http://inventwithpython.com/

Scratch: Scratch is a programming language that makes it easy to create your own interactive stories, animations, games, music, and art -- and share your creations on the web. As young people create and share Scratch projects, they learn important mathematical and computational ideas, while also learning to think creatively, reason systematically, and work collaboratively.For more information about Scratch see this website:
http://scratch.mit.edu/

Just keep writing down and refining your ideas, look for new ways to do something that currently exists, and continue to expand your knowledge of math, physics, geometry and history, all of which play a vital role in making and designing a video game.


Thank you Lydia, I feel much better now and my friend was able to talk some sense into me about not giving up. I still have some doubts, but I'm willing to try again.

Explorer
Aug 10, 2009
96
achilles398 wrote:
For a while I was unsure about what I wanted to be when I grew up. When I started playing this game and fell in love with it, I realized this was what I wanted to do, make Wizard101 bigger and better. But, after years of trying to draw and animate characters and failing miserably at both of them, I now feel that this dream is impossible. I want to be able to create new worlds and new characters, but without being able to draw or create, there is no way those ideas can ever be brought to life. Sure, I have good ideas, I agree, but are they really that great when you CAN'T make them real? I know people say I shouldn't ever give up, but after years of trying to learn how to draw and only becoming worse, its pretty obivous I'm just wasting my time chasing after an impossible fantasy. Im not trying to sound like I deserve a pitty party, because I don't, I'm just saying I think its time I find a new and possible dream to follow. I'm sorry KingsIsle, I have FAILED you!


I'm glad proffesor greyrose helped you (AND ME!) I wanted to do this to but I can't draw at all. Say I try to draw a cute little simple pig. All I turn up to draw is a big fat blob. I wanna make Wizard101 better to! GOOOOOOOOOO DREAMS! THYE CAN ALWAYS COME TRUE!

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
514
I remember seeing one of the makings of Wizard101. J. Todd Coleman was drawing a Cyclopes. He drew a little thing with one eye on the head that had no resemblance to a Cyclopes ! But he gave it to some of the artists for the game, and they created what we see today. Amazing isn't it? It doesn't matter what your dream is. It's possible and if you keep following it, then it will most likely happen. KI is an ever expanding company and it will continue to expand. I really hope you keep at your dream because I can tell you must have really great ideas for this game. Don't give up and keep going. I am counting on you :D

Defender
May 31, 2011
133
I think it is great that someone from KI took the time to post and share this useful information. Kudos.

Survivor
May 24, 2009
25
This might sound silly, but I actually want to write out this whole game in the form of like a Harry Potter type series as promotional books for Wizard101 lol. Like achilles398 said, its hard to think that your dreams can happen when they are hard to achieve. I mean, come on, I'm still young and my writing isn't perfect, even though my teachers praise me for my skill. I work on this fanfiction, more like an actual series of books, everyday and I have been for about a year. Trust me its hard to replay the game, type all the dialog, create characters, and add depth to the story when you're not all that great at it. But I try really hard, even though I know that I'll most likely never get an opportunity like this or achieve my goal. Making something like this for KI is my impossible dream haha. But a girl can dream can't she

Survivor
Jul 22, 2009
24
Try something other than pencil! I CANNOT draw with pencil. However, I am fine at pastel. Maybe pen?

Defender
Sep 29, 2010
124
ExtremePianoWizard wrote:
Try something other than pencil! I CANNOT draw with pencil. However, I am fine at pastel. Maybe pen?


Tried pencil, pen, pastel, paintbrush, marker, the list keeps going. I just CAN'T draw.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3171
achilles398 wrote:
ExtremePianoWizard wrote:
Try something other than pencil! I CANNOT draw with pencil. However, I am fine at pastel. Maybe pen?


Tried pencil, pen, pastel, paintbrush, marker, the list keeps going. I just CAN'T draw.


If it makes you feel better, neither can I.

I'm in my mid-20s, and a 3rd-grader can probably draw better than I can. I've done some fan-art for my first wizard, but can't bring myself to submit it, as it is truly awful- that's why I wrote a fan-fic instead.

I'm a writer, not an artist; I draw because it's fun, not because I'm any good at it- if you can't draw either, then you're probably good at other things. That said, I like the sound of this Python language, though I'm pretty inept with computers, too. :P