Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Horror of buying back Training Points!

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Mar 19, 2011
Eventually most wizards, especially those of us who PvP, will have occasion to buy back their training points. Sometimes I think "why did I ever buy that spell."

Sometimes, my playing style changes so I don't need/use a particular spell anymore. My deck used to be based on Ice Dispel Got to Warlord with that deck. Doesn't apply anymore. Sometimes the game changes so that certain spells are so useful anymore. At level 110, elemental wizards typically have so much pierce that a trained tower shield shields zero percent. I'm not sure I should even train it anymore.

So...sometimes we need to buy back our Training Points. I am a level 110 Balance Wizard. I just bought back my points. At level 110 that's a lot of training points.

For me, it is difficult to remember how to find the trainer that sells spells I bought...long ago. For example, I want to find the Star Trainer in Celestia now. The trainer is in Three Points. Three Points was like level 83. I don't even remember how to find Three Points anymore! And there is no longer a Quest Arrow Pointer to help me find it. I spent two hours after work online researching how to find Three Points. And Failed.

So my first observation is that I wish KI would make it easier to find a place I am looking for. Maybe I could type in the name of a quest that I had in that land and the old Quest Pointer would come up again and guide me to the land I need to go to. Or, users could create topological/connectivity maps so I could easily see how to get to the land I want from the commons area of any given world. "Oh I need to go from here to here to here"

My FAVORITE solution though is KI revamping the Training Point buyback system!

The current system punishes high level players who have spent years and lots of money on the game. Don't make me spend weeks re-tracing my steps through worlds I barely remember to buy a spell. Instead let me buy back the training points required for JUST ONE SPELL. Or two or however many spells. We should be able to check a list of boxes and get our points back for JUST Amplify, and not have to lose every other purchased spell.

KI will still make money on the crowns used to buy back TP, but it won't be so punishing for long time players.

What do other players think?

Squire
Jul 18, 2009
Why didn't you just look up what you needed on the W101 Central wiki? The Three Points wiki entry tells you which world it's in, gives you a map, provides a list of NPCs, places where you can get to/from Three Points and even gives a list of teleporters. Additionally, you can look up each spell that you had previously gotten and know from whom you can train it and where that trainer is.
http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Location:Three_Points#axzz45oyGTbRt

While I also think it would be handy to have individual buybacks, I can't see it happening unfortunately. KI has implied that making free TP buybacks for members during special member benefit windows is their solution to the otherwise 30-odd dollars you would have to throw away just for buying back points. Greyrose once said that it's a time vs. money thing, where you have the option to create a whole new wizard with the spells you actually want, or you could pay money to shortcut that and buy back points on the same wizard. I can see what KI is trying to get at with that logic, but making a new wizard and buying back points are simply not equivalent because there are plenty of no-trade things on my main wiz that I couldn't transfer to a new wiz if I decided to make a new wiz instead of buying back points. And if you're a membership player you'd be paying double the membership because now you have to spend paid time to level up a new wizard that you would not have been forced to spend if you had just bought back the stupid points. So their logic is flawed and we pay for it- figuratively and literally. The best we can do right now is just wait for point buyback time and pay 10 bucks for a membership and immediately cancel the renewal. I guess it's better than paying anything more than 10 bucks, but still...

Mastermind
Mar 19, 2011
Hi Starblood,

I spent hours making a Zafaria connectivity map from the wiki. I still haven't found how to get from the front door to three points. :(