Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Taunt and Threat

AuthorMessage
Defender
Apr 02, 2009
I don't know if it's just me, or other wizards too, but I have absolutely no idea what they do! And to add to the fact, they are sometimes rank X! I also don't get why spells like soothe and calm are rank X or what they do either.

Please help.
-Blaze ShadowHunter, Legendary Pyromancer

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
stinkybug123 wrote:
I don't know if it's just me, or other wizards too, but I have absolutely no idea what they do! And to add to the fact, they are sometimes rank X! I also don't get why spells like soothe and calm are rank X or what they do either.

Please help.

Spells that affect threat level (such as taunt and soothe) affect how the enemies see you. For instance, if you attack an enemy then that enemy will see you as a bigger threat based on how much damage you did. The same goes for healing, though not to the same degree. Threat level spells allow you to manipulate that threat level without dealing damage and are therefore useful in groups. For instance, your ice wizard may want to keep taunting all the enemies so that they attack him thereby giving his friends time to blade and deal heavy damage. The rank X versions simply increase/decease the threat scaled to the amount of pips you have when you cast them. The caveat is, of course, this doesn't work on real people such as Player vs. Player in the arena.

I hope that helps.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
stinkybug123 wrote:

Please help.

This thread should have your answer:

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/34720.ftl#192935

The "X" portion just increases the taunt or decreases the taunt (for soothe) by the amount of pips you use.

Mastermind
Mar 28, 2009
gtarhannon wrote:
stinkybug123 wrote:

Please help.

Spells that affect threat level (such as taunt and soothe) affect how the enemies see you. For instance, if you attack an enemy then that enemy will see you as a bigger threat based on how much damage you did. The same goes for healing, though not to the same degree. Threat level spells allow you to manipulate that threat level without dealing damage and are therefore useful in groups. For instance, your ice wizard may want to keep taunting all the enemies so that they attack him thereby giving his friends time to blade and deal heavy damage. The rank X versions simply increase/decease the threat scaled to the amount of pips you have when you cast them. The caveat is, of course, this doesn't work on real people such as Player vs. Player in the arena.

I hope that helps.
To make a long story short use soothe and you might not get hurt Use taunt and you may get hurt Will not work in pvp :(

Defender
Apr 02, 2009
Okay, so taunt makes them attack you and not your team mates and threat makes them attack your team mates and not you?

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
stinkybug123 wrote:
Okay, so taunt makes them attack you and not your team mates and threat makes them attack your team mates and not you?

Yes, but it more an art than an exact science. Just because you cast Taunt, doesn't mean the enemies will ALWAYS attack you. You have to make sure you are aggrovating the enemies more than your teammates. Taunt is just an easier way of doing that with minimal pips.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
stinkybug123 wrote:

yes.

Which is why the storm minion taunts - so that the enemies will attack it and not the guy that cast it.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
scotttttttttt wrote:
To make a long story short use soothe and you might not get hurt Use taunt and you may get hurt Will not work in pvp :(

I take it that you thought I was too wordy in my explanation? ;)

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
stinkybug123 wrote:

I'm not aware of any spell called threat. Here is a list of the spells that you can train from Mortis along with what they do:

Tranquilize - Make one enemy less likely to attack you.
Distract - Make one enemy more likely to attack you.
Pacify - Make all enemies less likely to attack you by X pips.
Taunt - Make all enemies more likely to attack you.
Calm - Make one enemy less likely to attack you.
Subdue - Make one enemy less likely to attack you by X pips.
Soothe - Make one enemy less likely to attack you.

Hope that helps.

Defender
Aug 05, 2009
Taunt makes the enemies attack you, threat makes them see you as a larger threat.

Defender
Oct 26, 2009
stinkybug123 wrote:

Yep :)

A note about tanking in Wizard101:

These cards are used for something called tanking. This is something that is needed in most other games, when you fight a boss. One character, who has significantly higher health and defenses, but can't hit very hard, will distract the boss so the weak yet hard hitting other players hit the boss.

A "Taunt" in other games usually makes the enemy attack you and a "Soothe" makes you lose "Threat" (What causes the enemy to attack you).

In Wizard101, these cards are rarely used. Why?

Wizard101 is a game mostly filled with younger players who don't understand these concepts. For them, and for most other players, it is more practical to:

a) not waste time searching for a ice wizard to tank

b) use the available ice wizard for some damage, and while he/she is building up pips, have the ice wizard shield whoever is getting attacked at the moment.

Tanking is also barely explained in the game. Only people who have played other games usually understand. Don't get me wrong, you can figure out what tanking is by looking at Taunt and Soothe, but it isn't very clear (as evidenced by this thread).

Quinn Dragonwhisper --- Legendary Conjurer
Benjamin Dragonblade --- Legendary Diviner

Defender
Apr 02, 2009
Ok thanks to everyone that answered my question! I finally get it!

Thanks for all the help.

Delver
Aug 12, 2009
I would like the taunt spells to aquire more threat than they currently do.

Devin Darksong – lvl 60 Death
Digby Darksong – lvl 60 Life
Duncan Darksong –lvl 60 balance
Dylan Darksong –lvl 60 Storm
Dustan Darksong –lvl 60 Myth
Dolan Darksong –lvl 60 Ice