Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Spells that don't really match their school

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Ever wonder why Earthquake is a Myth spell? I have. Actually, I think spells are pretty ambiguous sometimes and could belong in different schools, and I have been confused by a bunch of different spells when they came out. What about you?

I am confused why Centaur is a Life spell. Centaur = a pretty specific mythological creature, so I would have thought Myth.

I am confused why Sirens, Leviathan, and to some extent Storm Owl were Storm spells. Again, specific mythological creatures from lore.

I am confused why Power Nova, Ra, and Chimera are Balance spells. Power Nova is pretty much a ball of fire, and the creature spells again are specific creatures from mythology.

(disclaimer) Yeah, I understand KI isn't going to go back and rework the spells. This thread isn't about that though. It's about the different ways people interpret spells.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
The spells you listed certainly fall into mythological creatures, but they also represent particular elements. Centaurs in mythology were also the most reknowned healers and archers for example, they naturally fall into the Life school. The storm spells are all pretty obvious, they ALL are storm based/related myths. Ra is a good example of Balance since Ra was not only the sun god but also the creator and ruler of sky, earth and underworld. Unlike other mythos he was a god with control over a little bit of everything. KI did a very good job interpreting various myths into the various school spells in very fitting ways. None of the ones mentioned are confusing or ambiguous at all. Earthquake could really be storm since it falls into the realm of Poseidon, but it fits more with Myth because of the nature of how the school powers/strengths interact.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Lucas Rain on Jul 23, 2014 wrote:
Ever wonder why Earthquake is a Myth spell? I have. Actually, I think spells are pretty ambiguous sometimes and could belong in different schools, and I have been confused by a bunch of different spells when they came out. What about you?

I am confused why Centaur is a Life spell. Centaur = a pretty specific mythological creature, so I would have thought Myth.

I am confused why Sirens, Leviathan, and to some extent Storm Owl were Storm spells. Again, specific mythological creatures from lore.

I am confused why Power Nova, Ra, and Chimera are Balance spells. Power Nova is pretty much a ball of fire, and the creature spells again are specific creatures from mythology.

(disclaimer) Yeah, I understand KI isn't going to go back and rework the spells. This thread isn't about that though. It's about the different ways people interpret spells.
Well, there's always (based off of function, spell name, or graphics):

Animate (which is really a myth spell)

Keeper of the Flames (which is really a fire spell), Blood Bat which could be argued for both myth and Death

Link/Power Link (which could be argued to be life spells with damage as well as healing)

and then, we have the biggest school for this, balance:

Spectral Blast/Hydra/Spectral Minion are Elemental School spells
Mander Minion is Fire School
Helping Hands/Availing Hands are Life school

There are others, but Im not gonna go down every single school lol

Survivor
Jun 24, 2012
dayerider on Jul 23, 2014 wrote:
Well, there's always (based off of function, spell name, or graphics):

Animate (which is really a myth spell)

Keeper of the Flames (which is really a fire spell), Blood Bat which could be argued for both myth and Death

Link/Power Link (which could be argued to be life spells with damage as well as healing)

and then, we have the biggest school for this, balance:

Spectral Blast/Hydra/Spectral Minion are Elemental School spells
Mander Minion is Fire School
Helping Hands/Availing Hands are Life school

There are others, but Im not gonna go down every single school lol
Your statement is highly invalid...

Animate: Death focuses on stealing health and raising the dead at their own cost. Necromancy is based upon reviving the deceased. Hense Animate.

Keeper of The Flame: The flames the draconian uses in the animation resembles greek fire, a fire only kept by the most sacred guardians, fitting it in to the myth school. Blood Bat is a conjuration, which Myth focuses upon.

Link Duo: Link and Power Link are definitely associated with the life school, it is shown in the art of both. HOWEVER, these spells focus on fire's/pyromancy's specialty, D.O.T or damage over time.

Spectral/Hydra/Spec. Min: Balance is the school based upon the other elements of magic, it is said so in Krokotopia NUMEROUS times. Krokotopia is based upon balance, which explains why the 3 chapters of KT are fire, ice, and storm themed. This is why all those spells fit perfectly in.

Helpful Mander: Going behind the lore, the Mander used in the spell would be ice due to the fact that Manders of blue color served the kroks in the Krokosphinx, the ice area of KT.

Helping/Av. Hands: Every school gets its own heal, everyone knows that.

Blaze Fireshade

Champion
Jan 27, 2010
I could explain the other schools but seeing as how I'm balance and love egyptian history I'll take the easy way out and explain only Balance. Ra as you may or may not know is the ancient egyptian god of the sun and as the world of balance is an adaption of ancient egypt it makes total and complete sense as to why Ra is a balance spell and note that in the spell animation he draws his power from the sun with an ankh also known as the crux ansata which is a well known egyptian artifact that symbolizes eternal life and as for power nova I believe it is reference to the power that the Egyptians believed the sun and it's deity held. Chimera although I don't feel like explaining can also be included in egyptian history.....I must admit to someone whom is not interested in history and lore it could all be a bit confusing because Greek roman and egyptian history and lore is very intertwined.

Survivor
Sep 06, 2011
For spells that don't seem to make sense:
Earthquake:in greek mythology,an earthquake was suggested to be Atlas(the god who held the earth up) Shrugging
Centaur:seethe42,most centaurs were known for revelry and destruction,so probably referring to Chiron,a centaur known for:medicine, music, archery, hunting, prophecy,all of which belong to life
Animate:"Ani" is the Latin root for "movement",and with the spell animate,you make the dead move.
(Power)Link:Chances are,the spell is refering to the scientific law of conservation of mass,energy cannot be created or destroyed,so it has to go somewhere,the spell just splits the energy into healing

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
TranscentdentBlaze... on Jul 24, 2014 wrote:
Your statement is highly invalid...

Animate: Death focuses on stealing health and raising the dead at their own cost. Necromancy is based upon reviving the deceased. Hense Animate.

Keeper of The Flame: The flames the draconian uses in the animation resembles greek fire, a fire only kept by the most sacred guardians, fitting it in to the myth school. Blood Bat is a conjuration, which Myth focuses upon.

Link Duo: Link and Power Link are definitely associated with the life school, it is shown in the art of both. HOWEVER, these spells focus on fire's/pyromancy's specialty, D.O.T or damage over time.

Spectral/Hydra/Spec. Min: Balance is the school based upon the other elements of magic, it is said so in Krokotopia NUMEROUS times. Krokotopia is based upon balance, which explains why the 3 chapters of KT are fire, ice, and storm themed. This is why all those spells fit perfectly in.

Helpful Mander: Going behind the lore, the Mander used in the spell would be ice due to the fact that Manders of blue color served the kroks in the Krokosphinx, the ice area of KT.

Helping/Av. Hands: Every school gets its own heal, everyone knows that.

Blaze Fireshade

Death does not focus on raising the dead at it's own cost. How do you come up with that? I'm not talking about the classic definition, I'm talking about the IN-GAME definition. Death's main focus, in game, is life sapping. Even if Death was a "raise the dead" school, to give Death an X-pip spell that focuses on Myth's main focus is out of character. Myth should have gotten the Xpip minion spell, not death.

Let's go back to death's school description:

The Death School will train its student wizards to steal and support themselves. Death Wizards belong to an advanced school, simply because most of their spells take multiple step combinations to use effectively.

Their spells aren’t the strongest, but some have the ability to absorb health from the enemy, which serves as a way for them to heal themselves. They have many preparatory spells that allow them to build up high-damage spells.

Death Wizards use drains, taking strength from their enemies and healing themselves.

Nothing listed there talks about raising the dead at the caster's expense. Your view of the school is very singular and not on target for what the school is in the game. Also, when we talk about X-pip spells, they tend to cater to the school's PRIMARY effect:

Storm - Massive Damage (it's main characteristic)
Fire - DoT (it's main characteristic)
Life - Healing (it's main characteristic)
Ice - gets 2 shield spells (it's main characteristic)

Death - gets a minion spell. if it were to cater to its primary effect, it would have to be a life sapping attack, but instead, they chose to waste an X-pip on an out of school primary effect Minion spells are Myth's primary function, not death's. Going back to the description:

The Death School will train its student wizards to steal and support themselves. Their spells aren’t the strongest, but some have the ability to absorb health from the enemy, which serves as a way for them to heal themselves. They have many preparatory spells that allow them to build up high-damage spells. Death Wizards use drains, taking strength from their enemies and healing themselves.

All of these talk about life sapping spells, not raising the undead. How does summoning minions help in that effect? ALL schools can destroy their minions for health, so that's no specialty. Death isnt special in that, nor can death attack its minion and life sap off of it. If it COULD, then you'd have more of a point. These of course are all my OPINIONS, and you're plenty entitled to disagree with me, that's fine.

Explorer
May 29, 2014
Lucas Rain on Jul 23, 2014 wrote:

You confused my mind o_o

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Saffron Life on Jul 29, 2014 wrote:
You confused my mind o_o
I'm still confused frequently. You can honestly classify a lot of spells however you want, it's very subjective, and it's interesting to see how people would justify their choices if they were given the opportunity to choose.