Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Sockets.

2
AuthorMessage
Defender
Mar 28, 2011
154
crowmagus on May 24, 2015 wrote:
I've played most of the MMO that have come and gone and many that still are out there, just saying.

Am I happy with the drop rate of wrenches - no not really. But, I have watched this game and played it for quite some time now and can say I like the way they keep it balanced. No one HAS to participate in the socket ability it is there if you want to use it. You don't HAVE to use crowns to unlock the sockets just don't use the sockets - simple.

The fact that someone else wants to use crowns to open sockets doesn't bother me since the gain is minimal on the jewels. A bit of damage here, a touch of accuracy there, maybe a smidge of resist. But when the dust settles if your gear is not good enough then a person just needs to go where the good gear drops and work at those bosses until the gear drops that makes a difference.

I do use jewels, when I get one I like, but I don't have a wrench. And I have a bunch of sockets that are not unlocked. I for one do NOT wrenches to be permanent. I don't like the one use idea much, but like the idea of a permanent wrench even less. If everything is given to me what is the point of my even playing? I play for the challenge of getting items no one can buy. To get better gear, to work on my strategy, to get better understanding of the combinations of spells that have the best advantage.

In the end, when you get to the highest level and get all the best gear from Darkmoor I don't really think any of the Jewels are gonna be a game changer or game breaker. And that is a good thing and that is why I will keep playing the game. Jewels are fun and add a touch of this or that but it is not really going to change anything all that much when all is said or done.
I understand that jewels aren't game breaking and I don't have to bother with them. But if I want to use them effectively I'm either spending crowns or waiting 5 to 10 levels above the jewel minimum to even have a chance at farming for a wrench. If that's the direction the game is going -- pay in addition to a sub to use new features in a timely way -- I'm going to find another game. It's a new direction and I don't like it.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4162
alerttalon on May 24, 2015 wrote:
your mistake was....you said you could buy wrenches....that is the mistake

I am not looking to skip the "process" ...you seem to be stuck on buying.....

A permanent wrench is not ridiculous when gems are so rare to begin with!!!!!!!!
You can buy the EFFECT of wrenches, you're really splitting hairs there. A permanent wrench is something that never should exist in my opinion. It's ridiculous because it would unlock EVERYTHING you ever get in future. It totally skips the process. Gems are not as rare as you seem to believe and they are also crafted. I make dozens daily and find them as well.

Survivor
Jan 27, 2010
36
seethe42 on May 25, 2015 wrote:
You can buy the EFFECT of wrenches, you're really splitting hairs there. A permanent wrench is something that never should exist in my opinion. It's ridiculous because it would unlock EVERYTHING you ever get in future. It totally skips the process. Gems are not as rare as you seem to believe and they are also crafted. I make dozens daily and find them as well.
you are not buying the "effect of wrenches"...you are unlocking the sockets....in my opinion that is using the effect of a key.

Make your opinion, but do not ridicule mine

Gems are rare...just fought 23 of the same battle to get a gem listed in Stars of the Spiral...no gem...surely that is
rare....as for crafting....not something I do...because results for gems is unpredictable...and for crafting other equipment, I find better equipment doing quests.

I do have issues with the fairness of the game.. and rare items is tops on my list...since it goes to the
fairness of the game

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4162
alerttalon on May 25, 2015 wrote:
you are not buying the "effect of wrenches"...you are unlocking the sockets....in my opinion that is using the effect of a key.

Make your opinion, but do not ridicule mine

Gems are rare...just fought 23 of the same battle to get a gem listed in Stars of the Spiral...no gem...surely that is
rare....as for crafting....not something I do...because results for gems is unpredictable...and for crafting other equipment, I find better equipment doing quests.

I do have issues with the fairness of the game.. and rare items is tops on my list...since it goes to the
fairness of the game
A wrench unlocks a socket. When you pay to unlock the socket, that is the SAME effect. That's not an opinion, that's just plain fact. You choose to ignore aspects of the game and complain that the game should be catered towards being easier for you. Before changing the game to suit your gameplay, try altering your gameplay to better suit the game. Rarity of items is perfectly fair. It's the same chances for everyone.

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
321
seethe42 on May 19, 2015 wrote:
Jewels add very minor benefits. It costs barely anything to unlock them. Shattering them costs nothing and leaves the slot still unlocked. The whole idea of a permanent wrench that unlocks every socket of every item you ever get is just ridiculous.
Eh, if the wrenches were several thousand crowns, KI could make more money on them than I'd spend otherwise, and I wouldn't have to be annoyed spending crowns on each athame/amulet/deck. It's just mental; I'd rather spend 5000 crowns once, than spend 150 crowns twenty times, even though the twenty times is 40% less money spent.

I wouldn't expect a permanent wrench to be financially beneficial, to me, but I'd like to have one.

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
321
Edit: The permanent wrenches referenced above would be level-limited, too.

So, you buy an Expert wrench, and it only unlocks Expert and below. Artisan unlocks Artisan and below. When the next level comes out, Artisan doesn't unlock it, and you have to spend 6000 crowns for that level. . .

So, they make money, the current system still completely works, but those of us who don't want to bother with spending crowns each time don't have to. It's not in our best interest, maybe, but we would get that choice.

Survivor
Jan 27, 2010
36
seethe42 on May 26, 2015 wrote:
A wrench unlocks a socket. When you pay to unlock the socket, that is the SAME effect. That's not an opinion, that's just plain fact. You choose to ignore aspects of the game and complain that the game should be catered towards being easier for you. Before changing the game to suit your gameplay, try altering your gameplay to better suit the game. Rarity of items is perfectly fair. It's the same chances for everyone.
Posting hopefully gains the attention of Kingsisle....

Note the the final quest in dragonspire was made easier (as are others) ..

I am perfectly aware of the game...(8 wizards at level 100)

I am reasoning that since equipment drops are permanent...then wrenches should be permanent.

Rarity of items is not the same chance for everyone..it is not perfectly fair for someone to do a quest multiple times and get nothing while someone else gets rewarded on the first time.

Survivor
Jan 27, 2010
36
Errol Everhart on May 21, 2015 wrote:
I've read and understood all your previous posts, and I think other players who've also read them would agree that you now need to complete the following three steps:

1) Farm for socket wrenches and hope for the best, or
2) Earn crowns from watching videos and/or playing trivia, then
3) Use said crowns and socket wrenches to unlock sockets

If you play the game and follow the rules it's as easy as 1, 2, 3.
I do follow the rules but am allowed to post what appears to be not in the rules.

Equipment drops are permanent...jewels are permanent..why are wrenches not permanent.

Also it is not just me, other players have stated their disappointment with wrenches

Hope for the best is certainly not easy

if you read my posts , the you would know that I save crowns for difficult quests and chose not to
waste crowns on wrenches.

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
321
alerttalon on Jun 11, 2015 wrote:
I do follow the rules but am allowed to post what appears to be not in the rules.

Equipment drops are permanent...jewels are permanent..why are wrenches not permanent.

Also it is not just me, other players have stated their disappointment with wrenches

Hope for the best is certainly not easy

if you read my posts , the you would know that I save crowns for difficult quests and chose not to
waste crowns on wrenches.
The single-use wrenches unlock all of the sockets on an item. That means that you can switch out the jewels on that item as many times as you want. Regardless of what you have experienced, jewels are NOT that difficult to find. Many, many bosses drop them. You may have to do some research to figure out who drops what you want, but in one morning farming Morganthe, I got six universal block jewels. Each of my four wizards is currently using one of them, and I have two in reserve for better gear.

I don't think there is any reason for *dropped* wrenches to be permanent. Dropped wrenches completely make sense as single-use. And 150 crowns in lieu of a wrench seems mostly reasonable.

I would prefer a permanent wrench, personally, but I would expect it to be Crowns Only, significantly pricier (5000/6000) and level-limited. In real life, I'd rather make one very large Target run at $300 than even 4 $50 runs. I may spend more money, but it's one purchase. Entirely arbitrary, even irrational, but its how my brain works.

The wrench is consumed, but the item it unlocked is permanently available, and can be modified at no cost as many times as you want after unlocking.

It would be ludicrous for a *dropped* wrench to unlock every single piece of gear in your backpack. That would be like a mob dropping a Red Barn Farm or a SPUD pet.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4162
alerttalon on Jun 11, 2015 wrote:
Posting hopefully gains the attention of Kingsisle....

Note the the final quest in dragonspire was made easier (as are others) ..

I am perfectly aware of the game...(8 wizards at level 100)

I am reasoning that since equipment drops are permanent...then wrenches should be permanent.

Rarity of items is not the same chance for everyone..it is not perfectly fair for someone to do a quest multiple times and get nothing while someone else gets rewarded on the first time.
You are reasoning incorrectly though. You are comparing equipment that is permanent to what is more akin to a key that unlocks any lock once. The lock is unlocked forever, but the key goes away.

The chances of getting drops are exactly the same for every player. There is no more fair system. Your chances of getting an item dropped on the first try or 100th try are exactly the same also. What is unfair about that? That's kinda like complaining because the guy next to you won a lottery that you both bought a ticket for. Not everyone can win every time. That doesn't make it unfair or alter your chances next time.

Survivor
Jan 27, 2010
36
seethe42 on Jun 11, 2015 wrote:
You are reasoning incorrectly though. You are comparing equipment that is permanent to what is more akin to a key that unlocks any lock once. The lock is unlocked forever, but the key goes away.

The chances of getting drops are exactly the same for every player. There is no more fair system. Your chances of getting an item dropped on the first try or 100th try are exactly the same also. What is unfair about that? That's kinda like complaining because the guy next to you won a lottery that you both bought a ticket for. Not everyone can win every time. That doesn't make it unfair or alter your chances next time.
chance for a drop are not the same for each player... it is a random drop

there is a more fair system...
there are quest that have you locate an item...some get it right away ..others have to redo the fight sometimes
multIple times...but they do get the item.

Or guess what there is a more fair system...eliminate random drops. leave the random to the deck and fights and
another of my unhappiness PET TRAINING.

by the way I have been online for several days now ..mostly farming bosses...and guess what...
NOT A SINGLE WRENCH!!!!!

Again...i am posting to make my opinion known to Kingsisle.. as i have been instructed when i report a problem
and they say they cannot talk about changes to the game.

So unless you are an Kingsisle employee..you are not going to change my opinion.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4162
alerttalon on Jun 15, 2015 wrote:
chance for a drop are not the same for each player... it is a random drop

there is a more fair system...
there are quest that have you locate an item...some get it right away ..others have to redo the fight sometimes
multIple times...but they do get the item.

Or guess what there is a more fair system...eliminate random drops. leave the random to the deck and fights and
another of my unhappiness PET TRAINING.

by the way I have been online for several days now ..mostly farming bosses...and guess what...
NOT A SINGLE WRENCH!!!!!

Again...i am posting to make my opinion known to Kingsisle.. as i have been instructed when i report a problem
and they say they cannot talk about changes to the game.

So unless you are an Kingsisle employee..you are not going to change my opinion.
Random IS the same chance for each player. Just because an item drop uses a random number generator does not mean the item's rarity level is not set. Blindly picking the Ace of Spades out of a shuffled deck of cards is random chance too. You have a 1 in 52 chance, no matter who you are, no matter who shuffled it or spread them out on the table. It's blind random chance. Same odds every time, no matter how many times you try it. Giving every player the same chance every time is the most fair way possible.

Eliminating random drops from the game would make the game extremely boring and limited. Pretty much every player I know would quit playing because we'd all have everything the same with absolutely nothing left to try for.

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
321
alerttalon on Jun 15, 2015 wrote:
chance for a drop are not the same for each player... it is a random drop

there is a more fair system...
there are quest that have you locate an item...some get it right away ..others have to redo the fight sometimes
multIple times...but they do get the item.

Or guess what there is a more fair system...eliminate random drops. leave the random to the deck and fights and
another of my unhappiness PET TRAINING.

by the way I have been online for several days now ..mostly farming bosses...and guess what...
NOT A SINGLE WRENCH!!!!!

Again...i am posting to make my opinion known to Kingsisle.. as i have been instructed when i report a problem
and they say they cannot talk about changes to the game.

So unless you are an Kingsisle employee..you are not going to change my opinion.
"Chance for a drop are [sic] not the same for each player. . . it is a random drop."

That's the definition of same for each drop.

Are you farming bosses that actually drop wrenches? Because not every boss drops them.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
1124
PaigeGoldenspear on Jun 15, 2015 wrote:
"Chance for a drop are [sic] not the same for each player. . . it is a random drop."

That's the definition of same for each drop.

Are you farming bosses that actually drop wrenches? Because not every boss drops them.
Excellent point. The bosses that drop wrenches are definitely not "random". There are specific bosses that drop specific wrenches... randomly. And whether someone farms a boss once or one hundred times, the "random chance" is exactly the same every time. The chances don't increase because you farm more than once. It all resets. To use Seethe's example... the chance of pulling the Ace of Spades out of a deck of cards is 1:52 every time because the card you pulled goes back in the deck. If your card was removed it would increase the chance to 1:51, 1:50, 1:49 etc. but that's not the case.
There are occasions when your chances of a drop are actually lessened by success... The Loremaster for instance. Think of it like a wheel of fortune with 16 slots. She drops 16 possible spells, each of which occupies a slot. If you get one, the number drops to 15 that you might get but the 16th slot remains. Theoretically there's the chance that the next time you "get one" you could land on that same slot again, but you already have it so you get nothing.

Survivor
Jan 27, 2010
36
seethe42 on Jun 15, 2015 wrote:
Random IS the same chance for each player. Just because an item drop uses a random number generator does not mean the item's rarity level is not set. Blindly picking the Ace of Spades out of a shuffled deck of cards is random chance too. You have a 1 in 52 chance, no matter who you are, no matter who shuffled it or spread them out on the table. It's blind random chance. Same odds every time, no matter how many times you try it. Giving every player the same chance every time is the most fair way possible.

Eliminating random drops from the game would make the game extremely boring and limited. Pretty much every player I know would quit playing because we'd all have everything the same with absolutely nothing left to try for.
random is not the same chance for each player...it is random for each player not the same chance
Compare to a deck of cards..one player gets a 52 card deck..the other player gets a 300 card deck..

Again i am posting to make ki aware of lack of wrenches.

What i find boring is doing same quest trying to get a drop and never getting it. (and yes to other post ..i do
know how to research the internet and message boards to try to find drops)

I did not know that "every player you know would quit" because nothing left to try for...are you playing against
other wizards or are you playing against the game? Why not let wizards get the same?

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
321
alerttalon on Jun 24, 2015 wrote:
random is not the same chance for each player...it is random for each player not the same chance
Compare to a deck of cards..one player gets a 52 card deck..the other player gets a 300 card deck..

Again i am posting to make ki aware of lack of wrenches.

What i find boring is doing same quest trying to get a drop and never getting it. (and yes to other post ..i do
know how to research the internet and message boards to try to find drops)

I did not know that "every player you know would quit" because nothing left to try for...are you playing against
other wizards or are you playing against the game? Why not let wizards get the same?
Random is the same for each player. It is random. That's what random means.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
1124
TucsonWizard on Jun 16, 2015 wrote:
Excellent point. The bosses that drop wrenches are definitely not "random". There are specific bosses that drop specific wrenches... randomly. And whether someone farms a boss once or one hundred times, the "random chance" is exactly the same every time. The chances don't increase because you farm more than once. It all resets. To use Seethe's example... the chance of pulling the Ace of Spades out of a deck of cards is 1:52 every time because the card you pulled goes back in the deck. If your card was removed it would increase the chance to 1:51, 1:50, 1:49 etc. but that's not the case.
There are occasions when your chances of a drop are actually lessened by success... The Loremaster for instance. Think of it like a wheel of fortune with 16 slots. She drops 16 possible spells, each of which occupies a slot. If you get one, the number drops to 15 that you might get but the 16th slot remains. Theoretically there's the chance that the next time you "get one" you could land on that same slot again, but you already have it so you get nothing.
Correction: The Loremaster only drops 14 spells, not 16 like I previously stated.
Sorry but I guess that means your random chance just got a little worse again.

2