Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

So far, so good

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 28, 2011
Greetings. Tried the free play earlier this week. Liked what I saw so I signed up for membership yesterday to give it a month. Have played a bunch of MMO games and trying to figure out if things I've seen in others have equivalence in W101. Also looking to see if I'm missing some things.

- Was at a vendor and wanted to sell an extra Athame I had. Accidentally sold one I had equipped :-( . I didn't see a "buyback" feature. Did I miss it or does it not exist?

- Couple of chat questions. Once in awhile I see a line in chat window where the person "speaking" had the chat balloon icon but it had a red line through it. What does that mean? Was in Firecat looking to do the two banshee bosses. Wasn't a lot of people in there so I stood near the guards and asked anyone who came by if they wanted to do them. One time I chatted, "anyone looking to do Melwinna (or the other banshee boss) by any chance?", or something very similar. The echo in my chat window had some of my chat blanked out and replaced with "...". I read that it will do that if any of your words/phrases aren't in the Wiz101 dictionary. For the life of me I can't figure out what I put in there that wouldn't have been in the dictionary.

- As mentioned, I was in Firecat looking to do the Banshee bosses and the area was pretty empty. Is there anything similar to zonewide chat or lfg chat to help with that kind of thing?

- This last is about unwritten rules I suppose :-) . Went to a dungeon and kicked off the timer, thought I'd try a boss solo. Someone else joined me and we went inside. I moved into the duel circle and started the duel. The other person just stood by the door. After about 3-4 rounds the other person joined in. I had the boss do to around 100 HP or so and a full-health other mob. Unfortunately, I died in the next round while the person who joined late was able to finish the boss then the other mob.

Two questions on the etiquette here:
1) If someone is getting ready to enter a dungeon, the timer has started, is it considered OK to also join to enter with them? Or is it not polite to join them, perhaps they want to solo it?
2) In my mind what the other person did in the aforementioned incident was impolite but is there something else there that I'm missing? Or did I just run into one of those people that is only concerned about themselves regardless of others?

Appreciate any discussions, thoughts, etc folks may have.

Thx.

Survivor
Jan 15, 2011
For the item you sold, you should be able to go to the buy tab and buy it back, that is if no one else has bought it yet. (of course by now someone might have)

For the "..." in your chat, really hard to say what it deemed inappropriate, but you'll get used to it. Also, there is no world chat here, like you would have in other MMO games. The only options you have are local, group, and one to one person chat.

About that incident, yea the guy was thinking only of himself. About whether it is rude or they shouldn't join, well that is kind of debatable. For one thing that's how you meet friends, but of course, in that case he wasn't looking for friendship, just an easy ride. If you are wanting to do the dungeon solo, you could always back out of the circle and let the other guy go in first. Then jump back on it to go in by yourself. Or if you're already inside, go back out and leave the guy there, and then go back in alone.

You'll come across alot of people who do that, jump in your fight, bring in more mobs, and then flee. Really annoying and frustrating to you if you can't handle them by yourself.

With that being said, there are more helpful and enjoyable people in this game than I have seen in other MMO games. Some will ask if you need help or they may join your fight, becasue they alos need the mob your fighting, but in those cases they actually help you.

Good luck and have fun!

Grace Emeralcrafter lvl 45 Pyromancer

Survivor
Feb 12, 2010
Hey! :D I could probably help answer a couple of your questions.
The first; no, there isn't a buy back feature, yet.. maybe sometime there will be, but don't be discouraged! I've sold all kinds of things I didn't mean to, even houses. :)
Second, the line through the chat balloon is an indication that the wizard you are chatting with uses menu chat or a set of preset words. So, to ask them a question, you have to use that type of chat as well. That can be turned on in your "options" section of your spell-book.
Third, the "..." that you see, means you have a word or a group of words that, when combined, aren't in the W101 dictionary in your sentence. It could also be a mis-spelled word. For instance, the word shoe, if spelled sheo would show up that way in the chat window to other wizards who use text chat.
Fourth, if other wizards are in your area and you type into your chat window and they are within a few battle circles, they can read what you are typing. If, it is a street away or more, they probably can't. Areas, like the Commons of each World, in-compass that one area, but don't go much further than that.
Last, but not least: On entering a dungeon, a wizard may initially be setting up their deck.
Some wizards chat, "Wait."
Some don't.
Entering the battle circle after a wizard has already begun a battle and not working together to complete an assignment I would consider kind of rude. However, there are always exceptions to this, and there may have been any number of reasons something like that happened. Don't let it get you down! ;)
Hopefully, your questions got answered in a way that made sense to you, and you have a really great time in the game! Super best wishes on your adventures thru the Spiral!

Defender
Sep 11, 2010
On the off chance you have not learned the basics of Spiral economy ;) ...

ALWAYS sell at the Bazaar in Olde Town. You get MUCH better prices and you CAN buy back your mistakes. You will NOT like what it costs you to buy it back ... but you CAN buy back what you sell them if you are quick enough. Other vendors will buy stuff you sell them, but unless they ALREADY stock that specific item, you will not see it in their buy menus.

"Non Auction" items and "Crowns only" can't be sold at the Bazaar. I sell them to Zeke.

Usually, buying from the Bazaar is cheaper than other vendors too. Always note the price being asked and travel to the Bazaar to see if there are HUNDREDS of these things on sale at a discount.

Rude is far too nice a label for what happened in the dungeon. But ... it might NOT have been "on purpose". He might not have had a heal spell. He might not have known what to do as it was his FIRST time too. The fact that he WAITED to enter and WAITED to join the fight, leads one to assume pre-meditated intent ... but you will encounter far worse behavior than this on your travels ....

and it will be worth it ... XD.

Chatting takes getting used to. This site, goes further than any I have seen to prevent non-family oriented ... ANYTHING. And they are doing it MANUALLY. They are using labor, paid for by THEIR profit ... to foster this environment. Amazing.

Survivor
Feb 28, 2011
Very much appreciate all the thoughtful replies. Helps a great deal :) Learned quite a bit. Thx again.