Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Shadow pips

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 06, 2011
I have only seen Shadow spells used twice, by Sofia DarkSide and Ghost Dog. I wasn't really impressed with Ghost Dog's Shrike. I can't remember ever hitting him, so he was defeated by his own spell, losing 2.500 hp or more each time.
My Death wizard got Sentinel for free, but as I understand, it is best for group play, and I solo. Since I have a lot of training points, I went and trained Shrike to see if it worked better for me. I have tested it, but I usually only get the shadow pip when the battle is almost over. I have been dragging battles out to get a chance to use it, but it seems rather pointless.
How do the fast battling schools ever get Shrike up? Any Fire or Storm wizard around to enlighten me?

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
You cannot die from backlash, and it's impossible to lose 2500 every time. Backlash deals between 10-60% of remaining health, depending on actions taken. Shrike for instance doesn't like healing and likes attacks and blades. The chances for a shadow pip is about 20% every round. Sometimes you get it first turn, sometimes it never comes. Usually in battles that I use it in, by the time I'm bladed up and have pips to make the hit I have a shadow pip. I would say at least 90% of the time.

Defender
Aug 25, 2013
Chances of getting a shadow pip are totally random. From my own experience I'd say you have about a 15-20% chance every turn of getting a shadow pip. Shrike is useful against ice in PvE since they tower and the 50% piercing from shrike basically makes that useless, same against balance enemies that use spirit or elemental shields. If you aren't getting shadow pips that's just bad luck.

John RavenCatcher - lvl95

John StormWalker - lvl95
John DragonPyre - lvl50
John FrostShard - lvl38

"Bambi swings his axe for me again.
I <3 Deer Knight"