Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Selling accounts

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 19, 2012
Ive heard of people selling wizard accounts on wizard101.Is it legal?Multiple people have asked me to buy their account,so if its bannable,what should I do when they ask me to buy it?

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
It is not allowed to buy or sell accounts. If someone has asked you to buy an account, press the report button and report them immediately. Report anyone you see who says buy or sell.

What the person is saying is "I'm going to give you my personal information" (wanting to sell) or "I'm asking for your personal information" (wanting to buy).

Sharing personal information is a bannable offense.

About 2-3 years ago, a young person wanted to 'share' his account with me. Not only with me, but he shared account information with several other of his in-game buddies, so if he wasn't on they could play his character(s). He kept insisting "it was okay". I refused in chat many times and told him what the consequences were. Ignoring what I said, he sent me his personal information (account + password) in private message. I hated to do it, but I reported him immediately.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
HydraYTPlayz on Mar 13, 2017 wrote:
Ive heard of people selling wizard accounts on wizard101.Is it legal?Multiple people have asked me to buy their account,so if its bannable,what should I do when they ask me to buy it?
Report them.

Chances are the person selling it stole it from someone else... tricked someone into giving them their password so that they could hijack it. Selling it is a way for them to make a quick buck before the theft is reported and the account banned. I'm guessing you don't want to own the last IP address the account was accessed from.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
HydraYTPlayz on Mar 13, 2017 wrote:
perhpas a mod can confirm or deny, but i'm pretty sure that selling accounts is totally against the rules (since all of our accounts technically belong to kingsisle and are not ours to sell).

-von

Defender
Nov 19, 2009
You report anyone who is selling their account. Its against the terms of service to sell accounts. Refer to the terms of Service Piece I have Copied:

PLEASE NOTE: YOU DO NOT OWN THE ACCOUNT YOU USE TO ACCESS THE SITE, AND YOU DO NOT OWN ANY DATA OR VIRTUAL ASSETS/CURRENCY THE COMPANY STORES ON ITS SERVERS RELATED TO THE ACCOUNT. You have no ownership interest in any virtual items or virtual currency that may be associated with the account from time-to-time. You acknowledge and agree that any virtual currency in the Site is virtual only, with no cash value in the “real world” or online outside of the Site. Your account is nontransferable so you do not have any right to sell or otherwise transfer your account or any virtual items or currency associated with your account in the “real world.” The Company does not recognize any such sale or transfer.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
It sounds very sketchy to me.

KingsIsle is pretty clear that they don't allow us to share passwords, so I can't imagine they're okay with "selling" accounts.

My advice is to stay away from those offers. Politely decline vs reportable offense, that I don't know. Perhaps someone like Dworgyn can advise you on how to respond if someone offers to 'sell' you their account.

Alia Misthaven

Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
I did a little bit of research.

For another games' message board someone posted if they could sell their account and if it's legal, someone responded "It's allowed if you have the permission to"

It is ban-able because you're giving out private information. And if someone IN GAME asks you if you want their account it's most likely a scam. Report them because they're trying to give out private information and maybe even get some of yours.

Selling accounts usually happens through social media (Direct Messaging) People advertise and all that stuff.

And if people do ask you if you want to buy their account like I said, it's probably a scam and IT IS BAN-ABLE.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
You have been given correct information on this topic. Only one thing has not been mentioned.

The fact the player was trying to "SELL" his/her account, anyone caught USING that info to get into another person's account will get your own account banned for apparent "HACKING".

Too many players are not aware that all accounts are tied to 2 addresses. One being IP address and the other MAC address (built into the computer by MFG). Even if your IP changes, your MAC does not.

So if you are considering accepting someone's offer to "BUY" their account. Think twice then think again. You will lose your own account as well.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Always ask admin before doing anything you are the slightest bit unsure about.

The person could be selling someone else's account or information, or they could be scamming completely i.e. not only getting you banned by breaking the rule but also plan to give you nothing after you PayPal them your money.

If it sounds sketchy it usually is.