Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Seldom or never used school spell

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 23, 2011
Hello fellow wizards! What school spell/s which you seldom use or never used?

Let me start: detonate fire spell.
I am at max level and so far I have never used this four pip spell. And I wonder why this one was added.

Delver
Oct 29, 2013
My necromancer rarely uses Dark Pact, Bad Juju, and Doom and Gloom. If I PVPed it'd be a different story.

The OP mentioned Fire's Detonate spell. A Myth wizard and a Fire wizard can cause the Pendragon in Avalon to kill himself, and Detonate is the last key to that happening. :)

Miranda Nightsinger, Archmage Necromancer
Scarlet Windhammer, Journeyman Pyromancer

Explorer
Aug 14, 2012
Doom and gloom spell. It's pretty useless unless you're fighting a high ranking life boss.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
pindot77 on Mar 25, 2014 wrote:

I am at max level and so far I have never used this four pip spell. And I wonder why this one was added.
Balance: Power Play (sure, let's give those bosses a chance for power pips )

Fire: (agreeing here...) Detonate

Ice: Ice and Frozen Armor (I have much more important things to do with my pips)

Storm: Water Elemental (totally useless minion)

Life: Sanctuary (yep, I want the bosses and their minions to heal even more )

Death: Doom and Gloom (and let's take away MY ability to heal myself. )

Myth: Shift

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011

DETONATE!!!! Worst fire spell ever. I have complained about that spell many times on the message boards. KI please, just look at the spell and you'll know why it's never been used in FOREVER.

Mastermind
Jan 05, 2014
Balance has lots of useless junk spells.

Spirit defuse, elemental defuse. I have literally never used spirit defuse. I did use elemental defuse to get rid of Astreus' shield in trial of the spheres, but at 5 pips it is literally the most expensive possible spell to use for the purpose, a pierce TC bought at the bazaar would have been a lot easier to use, and there are plenty for sale.

As many others have complained -- power play.

Spectral minion. Yeesh, not only are the three possible variants all pretty useless, but you can't control which you get, and you have to pay more pips for the spell, 4 instead of 3, than the elemental schools do for the same minion.

Survivor
Mar 21, 2010

Hm. I am an 86 life wizard. Let me think...
I've used Sanctuary many times... Totally not useless...
I think it is got be mass triage, and triage.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012

It's a very potent attack spell when used in a team context with another fire wizard.
Wizard A blades up and prepares for Heck Hound. Wizard B traps/feints boss. Wizard A casts full pip Heck Hound. Wizard B casts Detonate and the full damage uses the traps instead of only 1/3 of it using them up. This combo attack makes Heck Hound more powerful than Storm Owl, making it the most powerful attack in the game.

Another use is with Pendragon. He casts an unlimited Fire Dragon spell on players. A myth wizard can shift that DoT back onto Pendragon. The Fire Wizard could then detonate the spell. What do you think happens when you detonate an unlimited DoT? Easiest 4 pip kill of a cheating boss ever.

I would say that minions in general are very seldom used spells in all schools. Power Play and Doom & Gloom are very rarely used. Once players realize how useless Moon School spells really are, those fall into the never used category. Diffuse spells, especially Elemental and Spirit really have almost no use in PvE. Sure there's a few boss cheats that a school diffuse can stop, but still not something you carry outside of a single very specific battle. All healing minus charms, like Infection are totally pointless outside PvP.

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
seethe42 on Mar 27, 2014 wrote:
It's a very potent attack spell when used in a team context with another fire wizard.
Wizard A blades up and prepares for Heck Hound. Wizard B traps/feints boss. Wizard A casts full pip Heck Hound. Wizard B casts Detonate and the full damage uses the traps instead of only 1/3 of it using them up. This combo attack makes Heck Hound more powerful than Storm Owl, making it the most powerful attack in the game.

Another use is with Pendragon. He casts an unlimited Fire Dragon spell on players. A myth wizard can shift that DoT back onto Pendragon. The Fire Wizard could then detonate the spell. What do you think happens when you detonate an unlimited DoT? Easiest 4 pip kill of a cheating boss ever.

I would say that minions in general are very seldom used spells in all schools. Power Play and Doom & Gloom are very rarely used. Once players realize how useless Moon School spells really are, those fall into the never used category. Diffuse spells, especially Elemental and Spirit really have almost no use in PvE. Sure there's a few boss cheats that a school diffuse can stop, but still not something you carry outside of a single very specific battle. All healing minus charms, like Infection are totally pointless outside PvP.
Yea, me and my myth friend did that but other than that I think it's useless at 4 pips and 75% accuracy.