Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Scroll of Fortune

AuthorMessage
Administrator
Hello Wizards! I wanted to swing by and chat about the Scroll of Fortune. We’re really excited about this Summer Update, and it seems like y’all are as well. We’ve been voraciously consuming all of the feedback out there about everything on Test Realm, and most of it seems to be rather positive, which we love! However, we’ve seen some mixed reviews on the Scroll of Fortune, and I wanted to talk with you about what it is, what it isn’t, and provide a centralized place for rewards discussion.

First of all, I wanted to clear up two things I’ve been hearing all over the interwebs:
  1. This is not replacing member benefits. We plan to continue to run those as normal.
  2. The 50% discount is not just for Test Realm. It’s a 50% discount for members, and while prices are subject to change (as is anything and everything on Test Realm), we still plan to make the price reduced for members on Live.

So, what is a Scroll of Fortune?

If you play the Events and earn points, you’ll earn FREE rewards on top of all the other rewards those activities and Events are giving you. If you want to earn EVEN MORE rewards, you can purchase the Scroll of Fortune and unlock the premium rewards. You don’t even have to decide right away. If you play the game regularly and rack up a lot of points on the Scroll of Fortune, you can purchase it later (before the season is over) and retroactively collect all the rewards you unlocked.

Overall, the Scroll of Fortune has about 10x as many rewards as if you bought them all from the Crown Shop, and a few exclusive items you can’t get anywhere else. Keep in mind, we’re not going to spill EVERY SINGLE COOL THING on Test Realm. There’s probably one or two things we have up our sleeves as a surprise for Live.

What ISN’T a Scroll of Fortune?

A pay to win system. We’ve gotten some comments that the rewards are lackluster. Honestly, I’m relieved to hear that as a starting point, because I believe with some changes, we can make them worthwhile without them being the only way to be powerful. We are committed to make sure that the premium rewards on the Scroll of Fortune are great, but they’re totally optional.

Now that we’ve shared our intentions and hopefully cleared up some things, we want to hear from you!

The MOST ESSENTIAL question I have for you now is this – what rewards on the Scroll of Fortune do you think could be better, and what would you like to see instead? Since I seem to like numbered lists in this post, I have two things for you to keep in mind:

1. We have a certain VALUE target for the price of the Scroll – about 10x the value of the items in the pass – either their price in the Crown Shop, or what we would price them in the Crown Shop if they were for sale. While I totally understand that you’d be more interested in a permanent mount instead of a Major Fishing Elixir in a certain reward slot, the values of these two items are drastically different (to the tune about of 20x the value), so that probably isn’t something we can do. However, we could switch out that elixir for one with broader appeal, like an XP elixir.
  2. We have many different types of Wizards in the Spiral. While we could switch out that fishing elixir, someone who’s more interested in fishing than questing might disagree with that choice. A Monstrology enthusiast might want a Monstrodome more than anything else. A Wizard just starting out (or someone doing their 20th Deckathlon run) may be hurting for gold and really appreciate hitting those reward tiers. We want to balance these rewards to be appealing for many types of Wizards.
So, without further ado, let’s open this up to your comments and feedback. We’ve been scouring the internet and already have some great ideas for changes, thank you to the community for that, but if you reply here, you can be guaranteed that the team will read and review it.

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Historian
Aug 10, 2009
I hate pvp, and it seems like the new stuff coming out is a lot like pvp.. I know there are wizards out there like me who have no desire to pvp.. So I guess the new stuff that is coming out wont be for us..

Also Please don't forget about us players who are mostly solo.. please come out with stuff, like instances we can run thru.. I loved way back when you made a couple of instances that you could scale to what ever level you wanted.. Please come up with more of those!!!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Thank you for your post and thank you for opening up the discussion of rewards

You've mentioned the elixirs and recognised that players will value the various elixirs differently depending on what they enjoy. How about giving a choice of equally valued elixirs in those slots so the player can select the reward they value most?

There could perhaps even be a trade option at a certain level to trade in several lower valued elixirs for one or a bundle of elixirs they prefer? Perhaps even with items that are not elixirs?

Also, I get the impression a 3 hour elixir is valued more highly than 3 single hour elixirs. How about an option to accept a 3 hour elixir or 3 single hour elixirs for the same thing to allow the player to decide which is better value for their gameplay?

You're right that players place different values on things and I think giving them a choice would allow them to see the Scroll at its highest value no matter how they play or what they value.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2008
As with many of your updates, this one also starts with a mission statement I completely agree with. Released alongside another system that requires you to do things in game to earn rewards. As an incentive, you are given rewards equal to 10x of the price it cost you to get the scroll. If this was done properly, it would be a great event. However, I think this post sheds light on some critical disconnects between KI and the community - namely on what "pay to win" is.

I'd like to start by clarifying what "winning" is. For many players in this game, myself included, the end goal is simply to have the best possible gear. Whether that means the highest possible damage, access to the most powerful spells, the most resist, etc. I realize this definition might not apply to the entire community, but it does apply to some - and I believe the "pay to win" arguments are coming from this community.

I've spent some time thinking about this to try to express it as clearly as possible and here's what I've come up with. Based on everything I've seen, there are three main types of incentives in the game. Cosmetic-incentive, which would include anything you buy based on how it looks (stitch gear, most houses, most pets, most mounts); quality of life-incentive, which would include anything that just makes your life easier (elixirs, gardening bonus houses, faster mounts, henchmen); and finally stat-incentive, which includes things that make your wizard physically more powerful (most pack gear, mounts with stats, spells). The first two I have never had a problem with, they seem like the ideal thing to sell for real money. However, anything that's a stat-incentive is bound to cause trouble via one of two scenarios:
  1. The item you sell is so good that is becomes essential to anyone seeking to make their wizard as powerful as possible. This is the case for a few bundles, namely the Spooky Carnival for the robe and Witch Hunter's for the wand. If this is the scenario then it is pay to win, because in order to win you need the best gear and in order to get the best gear you must pay real money.
  2. The item's main appeal is the stats, however the stats aren't good enough to encourage players to buy it. In this case the item is just declared a rip off, because the stats are the incentive but the stats just don't hold up compared to other options.

Neither of these scenarios are good, nor do I think either of these scenarios are avoidable if you choose to release stat-incentive things. Therefore I think the only way to completely avoid this conflict is to only sell things that are not stat-incentive. Elixirs and cosmetics items are great things to add to the scroll of fortune. But when packs containing gear and spells are locked behind this additional paywall, people are bound to declare the entire system as pay to win.

The gold rewards seem incredibly out of place, especially considering another issue being discussed in the same forum is the abundance of gold in the game. If there are enough players actually lacking gold but having crowns to spare, perhaps the suggestion of allowing players to pick their rewards would be an effective one. The temporary mounts with stats are questionable, one because temporary mounts have never been very popular and two because of the argument I mentioned previously.

In conclusion, when a main incentive for paying for the scroll of fortune is stats/spells, the entire system is bound to be either pay to win or a rip off. I truly believe the only way to avoid this criticism is to remove any stat-incentive rewards from the system. I only share this criticism with good intentions, best of luck.

Survivor
May 14, 2013
One thing I'd deinitely appreciate a lot within the Scroll of Fortune is more exclusive items/perks, especially for members and/or people who decide to purchase the Scroll. Also maybe bump up the gold rewards and amount of reagents/mega snacks at certain milestones as I am sure many would appreciate that. Regarding the mounts, maybe switch those around and give people 1/7 day versions to the newly released mounts so they can test them out and see if it's for their liking or not and to help them decide if they'll purchase them or not. Another thing would maybe be the member benefit of choosing between a few different rewards at certain milestones! (500/1000/2000 points...) Final thing I'd like to see is to make the Scroll of Fortune more accessible; make it a lower price, or maybe make different tiers of them (bronze/silver/gold) with the gold one clearly having the best rewards, while the bronze/silver ones still have rewards that would make the purchase worthy. Those are just my two cents and I know some statements might sound bold, but gotta make sure to please as many players as possible, free to play or not!

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Please add the Kroger/Safeway jewels as a top tier prize (rotating the jewel each season). For those of us unlucky to live in locations where these are offered and uncomfortable purchasing on the internet from complete strangers in RMT (Real Money Transfer), this can be an alternative. This option still allows for those players who are near these locations the ability to get the jewels "instantly" while receiving additional Crowns (remains a viable retail option).

Survivor
Jul 08, 2019
Nice! Can't wait to play with this! BTW, do you know any release date right now?

Best Regards,

Autumn GhostWhisper level 27

Survivor
Jul 08, 2019
Idony09 on Jul 19, 2019 wrote:
I hate pvp, and it seems like the new stuff coming out is a lot like pvp.. I know there are wizards out there like me who have no desire to pvp.. So I guess the new stuff that is coming out wont be for us..

Also Please don't forget about us players who are mostly solo.. please come out with stuff, like instances we can run thru.. I loved way back when you made a couple of instances that you could scale to what ever level you wanted.. Please come up with more of those!!!

Agreed! I honestly don't like PVP, and i feel like this is for the PVP players as well. Don't forget about us!

Autumn GhostWhisper level 27

Survivor
Jun 22, 2018
guys guys guys do you realize how bad the rewards are please buff the rewards like do you actually think you have good rewards in this "battle pass"? and put some use full packs please not the worst packs ever released that no one buys

Survivor
Feb 24, 2014
I'm liking the Deckathons and now the Hunts. I'm not a pvp person, but the hunt is pretty cool. Many have noticed the new lore pack as a reward, and it's been said that it may not get released right away in the crown shop. Just getting one pack per season don't sound that good. How about at a certain level you unlock the pack in the crown shop. That would make it more a play to win instead of pay to win. Just don't make the unlock a premium item. I like the idea some have had about being able to choose rewards. I know you want to price the rewards at 10x but that only holds value if the majority of the prizes appeal to all players. Some may like the Deck packs, some snack packs, or garden packs. This would be a good spot to make the pack choose-able.

Survivor
Jul 08, 2019
Acochell on Jul 31, 2019 wrote:
I'm liking the Deckathons and now the Hunts. I'm not a pvp person, but the hunt is pretty cool. Many have noticed the new lore pack as a reward, and it's been said that it may not get released right away in the crown shop. Just getting one pack per season don't sound that good. How about at a certain level you unlock the pack in the crown shop. That would make it more a play to win instead of pay to win. Just don't make the unlock a premium item. I like the idea some have had about being able to choose rewards. I know you want to price the rewards at 10x but that only holds value if the majority of the prizes appeal to all players. Some may like the Deck packs, some snack packs, or garden packs. This would be a good spot to make the pack choose-able.
Yeah I agree! I'm liking the decklathons too!

Autumn GhostWhisper level 30 (finally!)

Survivor
Jan 01, 2011
Idony09 on Jul 19, 2019 wrote:

My roommate and I both -hate- pvp too, and I agree, all the new stuff seems to be targeted at players who like pvp. We are -SO- not interested in half of these new events, and we will not be participating. I have to say that I resent not being given an alternate, non-pvp option to get some of the exclusive rewards that come with with pvp-style events.

Survivor
Jun 14, 2013
Personally, I enjoy the new event, maybe a little too much. I've always hated PvP, but I'm addicted to this event and will be extremely upset when it's gone. I mean, it won't change my opinion on PvP, I'm still going to absolutely despise it with all my might, but this event takes it down a new path.

My only issue is the emotes that are offered via Scroll of Fortune. They would be worth it, however, I can't see myself wanting anything else besides those. I really don't think I'm going to buy the scroll just to get those emotes, because it seems like both a waste of money and a waste of crowns.

I must say, I really enjoy the seeds in this event, they grow fast, they're pretty, and they help out a lot within the event. I didn't expect them to grow so fast! I thought I had broke something when they were adult in the blink of an eye. So shocked, that I had to force my own sister to get online and confirm it actually grew and that I wasn't just imagining things.

The teams are wonderful (This may be my opinion because I've only been on winning teams as of when I'm writing this post)! I love the concept of it all, except the issues I stated above.

Finally! No more overpowered matches or just players being sort of rude when they win (This is generally what draws myself, and many other players I've met, away from PvP. A lot of times, the matches that are made are pretty unfair for one or both sides).

Anyways, enough rambling on, the Scroll of Fortune just really doesn't seem worth it at all. The emotes are dope, but not something that I'd spend 7.5 - 15k crowns on just to get along with other items I probably wouldn't touch.

~ Stephanie Sparkleblood Level 103

Defender
Jul 26, 2013
I started playing your beast hunter game the first day it came out and played for a while and then decided I wanted the ninja pig. The pig of course, you have to buy the scroll, so of course I did on my storm wizard. I then went on my fire wizard and started playing other beasts. I wanted to keep the ones I could just get in the arena lobby, but I found out I had to buy the scroll again to receive my rewards for my fire wizard.
I think if you buy it once for one wizard you should be able to get all the rewards for the other. I mean that is a lot of crowns if you have different wizards you want to play on.

Survivor
Jan 14, 2017
I'm not interested in Deckathalon or Beast Hunter. What is the Spiral Showcase?

Survivor
Nov 30, 2012
I really like the beast moon event. But I have recently capped out on points at 1001 points through this towards Scroll of fortune is that supposed to happen? I have looked everywhere but can not find an answer. I have 1064 points in beast moon points but capped at 1001 towards scroll of fortune.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
alia550 on Aug 3, 2019 wrote:
I started playing your beast hunter game the first day it came out and played for a while and then decided I wanted the ninja pig. The pig of course, you have to buy the scroll, so of course I did on my storm wizard. I then went on my fire wizard and started playing other beasts. I wanted to keep the ones I could just get in the arena lobby, but I found out I had to buy the scroll again to receive my rewards for my fire wizard.
I think if you buy it once for one wizard you should be able to get all the rewards for the other. I mean that is a lot of crowns if you have different wizards you want to play on.
You don't have to buy Scroll of Fortune to get Ninja pig. You can "beast" garden for the pig just like cyclops. However, the Scroll of Fortune just allows you to unlock the Ninja pig faster (at least for this season of beastmoon).

Defender
Aug 26, 2010
If I buy the Scroll of Fortune does it expire with the season or is it permanent for the character I purchase it on. In other words would I need to keep buying it every season?

Survivor
Jun 22, 2018
too all people complaining about stuff targeted to pvp well guess what pvp is the only end game content the game have and it needs to be improved (there is also monstorlogy as end game mid game but few people do it) so if you have all your wizards maxed out you need to do pvp cause there is no other thing to do and complaining about 'i don't like pvp we don't like pvp' is so ignorant because pvp is a huge aspect of the game !!!

Delver
Aug 10, 2010
It seems to me that the latest updates, Deckathon and Beastmoon are just more ways for PvP players to stroke their egos.
Check my "Joined" date, I have an old account and, umm, I'm getting pretty bored with the game. Summer update used to have content like Aquila or Darkmoore, I think Wintertusk was a Summer update too. Are you running out of ideas? Are you working on quietly ending PvE by attrition?

Scroll of fortune? "Play the events and earn points"? sounds like more PvP garbage to me. Please figure out if you want to keep your PvP players or PvE players and get back to us, because the direction you're going isn't going to support both much longer.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Oran of Urz on Aug 4, 2019 wrote:
You don't have to buy Scroll of Fortune to get Ninja pig. You can "beast" garden for the pig just like cyclops. However, the Scroll of Fortune just allows you to unlock the Ninja pig faster (at least for this season of beastmoon).
I don't understand what you're saying. The Golden Ninja Pig Beastmoon Idol is only available from the Scroll of Fortune, with no other method confirmed. Unless you've gotten the Gold Idol from the Death Moon Blossom...?

Survivor
Apr 25, 2009
Question: Why can't I get past 1000 points on the Scroll of Fortune rewards? I have 1400+ points now, but the rewards are stuck on Tier 4 and 1000 points. Is this a glitch?

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Lookit Light on Aug 5, 2019 wrote:
I don't understand what you're saying. The Golden Ninja Pig Beastmoon Idol is only available from the Scroll of Fortune, with no other method confirmed. Unless you've gotten the Gold Idol from the Death Moon Blossom...?
Yes, all idols can be harvested from the plants. I'm currently farming to get additional Ninja Pig idols to upgrade to another tier (they are extremely rare drops, because I assume the Fairy idols also come from Death seeds).

Additionally, there is no silver Ninja Pig idol. Gold just happens to be the color they gave Ninja Pig (Cyclops is pink, Krokomummy is purple, etc). Higher tiers require more idols (which again, are extremely hard to come buy), but the colors don't seem to play a factor.

I've exclusively been farming Death, Life and Balance seeds with the following results:

1x Ninja Pig idol (with an additional idol from Scroll of Fortune)

3x Cyclops idol (with a fourth from Beastmoon event)

1x Draconian idol

Survivor
Mar 01, 2009
To get rid of: As stated by others, gold rewards aren't worth paying for the scroll membership when the Wiz's economy has an extreme over-abundance in gold. Its thoughtful but shouldn't be a paid reward.

To keep: I completely support elixirs, as they are useful to every wizard, especially double gardening and pet xp. Those should continue to get support on the scroll as long as they remain member benefits separately (as you've stated above).

To emphasize: Cosmetics, cosmetics, cosmetics. If Kingisle really has created this reward system based on another really popular game (rhymes with court fight), you'll know that their system is ALL about the cosmetics. Whether its more emotes or new elegant gear, please stress visual rewards that Wizards would be able to show off to their friends.

Survivor
May 08, 2009
I am also stuck on 1000 points in the fall scroll of fortune, is there a weekly cap or is this a glitch Professor Falmea? My Beastmoon points shows 1103 but no more rewards!!? I feel people need an answer especially if they have used crowns, come on Kings Isle tell us what is happening please.