Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Schools With the Highest Damage

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
I have a theory on how to find out the Schools from least to highest base damage.

Step 1. Go through each spell and average them. For example, if a spell can do 100-200 damage, find the arithmetic mean of the two numbers.

Step 2. Once you have collected all the data on the damage spells, find the arithmetic mean of the data. Repeat for each school.

Step 3. Order them from least to highest. Boom! That is your answer. Here are my findings. 1 is the school with the highest base damage, and 7 is the school with the least.

1. Storm (811)

2. Fire (648)

3. Myth (647)

4. Death (589)

5. Life (562)

6. Balance (548)

7. Ice (540)

So, what do you think of my theory, and do you think my result is accurate?

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
I think a more accurate way to look at it is the average damage per pip cost of all spells.

1. Storm 137.815
  2. Fire 118.329
  3. Myth 108.737
  4. Balance 99.727
  5. Ice 98.599
  6. Life 98.043
  7. Death 97.937

When viewed in this light you can see 4 lowest damage schools are negligible differences. It is worth noting that Death's drain makes it's low damage far less of a factor for most.

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
Great theory! I think it was already clearly stated that storm and ice would be the two main dispositions in terms of highest and lowest base-damage output, but it was neat seeing where the rest of the schools were, good job!

I was surprised that Life JUST surpassed Balance. Cool!

I do think your result is accurate, but did you really do all of each schools base damage spells?

I figured you probably didn't throw treasure or item/pet cards into this data. Did you include shadow-enchanted spells?

Not denying that your data is inaccurate as I stated already I do believe it is, just curious as to where your data is pooled from. Again, amazing job!

Nathan GreenEyes - Promethean
Ryan Hexpyre - Exalted
Tatiana - Legendary
Kane - Legendary
Blaine SilverBlood Adept

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
Fable Finder on Jun 26, 2016 wrote:
I have a theory on how to find out the Schools from least to highest base damage.

Step 1. Go through each spell and average them. For example, if a spell can do 100-200 damage, find the arithmetic mean of the two numbers.

Step 2. Once you have collected all the data on the damage spells, find the arithmetic mean of the data. Repeat for each school.

Step 3. Order them from least to highest. Boom! That is your answer. Here are my findings. 1 is the school with the highest base damage, and 7 is the school with the least.

1. Storm (811)

2. Fire (648)

3. Myth (647)

4. Death (589)

5. Life (562)

6. Balance (548)

7. Ice (540)

So, what do you think of my theory, and do you think my result is accurate?
Actually, I think I found a miscalculation in Storm and Balance. I will redo Storm and Balance and then re-evaluate.

1. Storm (716*)

2. Fire (648)

3. Myth (647)

4. Death (589)

5. Life (562)

6. Balance (553*)

7. Ice (540)

So as you can see, nothing much has changed here, but hopefully this is a more accurate data set.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
thelastdiviner on Jun 26, 2016 wrote:
Great theory! I think it was already clearly stated that storm and ice would be the two main dispositions in terms of highest and lowest base-damage output, but it was neat seeing where the rest of the schools were, good job!

I do think your result is accurate, but did you really do all of each schools base damage spells?

I figured you probably didn't throw treasure or item/pet cards into this data. Did you include shadow-enchanted spells?

Not denying that your data is inaccurate as I stated already I do believe it is, just curious as to where your data is pooled from. Again, amazing job!

Ryan Hexpyre - Exalted
Tatiana - Legendary
Kane - Legendary
Blaine SilverBlood Adept
Thanks!

I used all the spells listed on Wizard101 Central. I included shadow enchanted spells. I found the arithmetic mean of the spells with two variables one by one, and added them all up. With spells with one variable, I just added them. I initially skipped per pip spells, but after finding a way to incorporate them, I created a second (hopefully more accurate) data set. The order never changed though, just the numbers.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
thelastdiviner on Jun 26, 2016 wrote:

Ryan Hexpyre - Exalted
Tatiana - Legendary
Kane - Legendary
Blaine SilverBlood Adept
I used images like these:

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/images/3/37/%28Spell%29_All_Storm_Spells.png

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
seethe42 on Jun 26, 2016 wrote:
I think a more accurate way to look at it is the average damage per pip cost of all spells.

1. Storm 137.815
  2. Fire 118.329
  3. Myth 108.737
  4. Balance 99.727
  5. Ice 98.599
  6. Life 98.043
  7. Death 97.937

When viewed in this light you can see 4 lowest damage schools are negligible differences. It is worth noting that Death's drain makes it's low damage far less of a factor for most.
Can you elaborate on this theory? Usually each school doesn't have multiple attack spells costing the same amount of pips.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Fable Finder on Jun 27, 2016 wrote:
Can you elaborate on this theory? Usually each school doesn't have multiple attack spells costing the same amount of pips.
It's not a theory, it's just numbers. I'll give you an example.

Kraken does 550 mean damage and costs 4 pips to cast, that's 137.5 base damage per pip.
Colossus does 540 mean damage but costs 6 pips, that's 90 base damage per pip.

So even though the spells do almost the same damage, Kraken is actually higher damage by quite a bit. Just counting damage without counting pip cost doesn't really tell you anything. Also some schools have 12-13 attack spells, others have 21 attack spells. Taking the mean damage per pip cost gives you a better picture of who's spells actually do the higher average damage.

All I did was take the mean damage for every attack spell in each school. Divided each by the number of pips cost. Then totaled all the damage per pip costs and divided by the number of attack spells in that school. This gives you the mean damage per pip of each school.