Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Schools losing their meaning?

1
AuthorMessage
Champion
Feb 03, 2012
406
Hello everyone reading this, have you noticed that each of the schools are actually loses what makes them special? Before the schools were all seperate and had many different styles, strageties, funstions, purposes, and place o nthe team. Fire and myth would break shields, myth and death could summon awesome minions, storm and fire were the power houses of the schools, life was the healer that everyone depended on, everyone went to balance for charms and wards, death would drain, and ice would be a fortress for everyone to hide behind. With all the new items does it feel that way anymore? everyone can have massive resist now, many schools can reach storm's damage, and worst of all for poor life, everyone can heal now. I think that life has suffered the most, they were special for healing, but now players can get a life mastery amulet buy endless heals and then play as though they were life :(. The main problem with this is treasure cards, everyone of any school just think on this, how hard it much of been and how great it must of been to finally compleate and earn your spells, but some other player can just take a short walk to bazaar and buy a hand full of the same card you just earned for what? a few thousand gold? i dont know about you but i'd be pretty mad at that. The mastery mulets made it worst! Now not only can idk a death wizard cast rebirth or storm lord or fire dragon or even a power nova, they can cast this the same time you can! and they can cast any spell you can. What ever happened to each school having there own thing? :( their special feature? :( I dont know about any of you but i feel the schools are just losing there meaning. There might as well not be any schools sicne anyone can be anyone. Well post what you guys think thank you and have a magically filled day.

Explorer
Dec 29, 2009
87
I have a level 70 balance wiz in WW gear and ring athame and a pet with damage. So I have basically all the damage you can get and have 60 something with around 170 crit with a 50 crit wand.
My level 65 storm wiz has had crafted 55 gear on and already has 80 something damage and the same amount crit.

So my point is that all wizards can not obtain storms amt of damage...
And with out amulets in secondary schools throwing out of spec just isn't smart due to pip cost. So I don't think their primary roles are being displaced at all. You always do the best throwing from your school. Unless you are very very well geared.

Delver
Jul 21, 2009
224
i still think storm and fire are the top schools in damage in game. they may get a treasure cards but they don't get them class bonus the atck the acc the full crit and so on. So they wont hit as hard as you do.
Mastery amulets did not really hurt anything they been around for a year now and really there a waste of time. I would take a necklace with heath any day over that. But i do not think really to much as changed with the wizards more like some of the people playing them. this is what happens when people play follow the leader and not think for themselves. Fire still has it's DOT , Storm still has the strongest cards but high fizzle, Death still is the same, Life still is healing with some attack, Ice is still best at taking damage, Balance is best for support blades traps and shields and myth lol if you really want to make one have fun with that :p . anyway like i said wizards are still the same. best of luck and have fun :)

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
1357
Storm can get up to 101% boost... (Pet needs pain giver, storm giver, and pain bringer, 15% right there, plus with a certain selfish talent, 7% storm and pain giver, so 17%, so 103% boost) JUST SAYING

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
407
I think it's better for the balance of the game to have schools that are more similar (plus it helps with class envy.)

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
1469
Solstice64 wrote:
I think it's better for the balance of the game to have schools that are more similar (plus it helps with class envy.)


Class envy can be solved by playing different schools. That's what the game's about, right? Every school is supposed to be different, with its own strengths, weaknesses, and paths. By making the schools more similar it makes the game so much more monotonous. At some point, you'll be able to use the same strategy with every wizard.

Survivor
May 31, 2011
20
No it DOESN'T help balance out the game and I agree to an extent with the original poster here. The schools are somewhat losing their individuality and don't like it one bit. It's not TOO bad as of now but I feel, KI is going in that direction and I IMPLORE them to not go down that road.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
712
The biggest thing that made schools lose 'their meaning' was the mastery amulets.

Probably the school hit hardest by that was the Life school. Now anyone can easily cast Pixies and Satyrs at the drop of a dime, assuming they have the mastery amulet.

In my opinion, and there were several debate posts on that subject, the release of mastery amulets was completely unnessecary. It was a simple ploy to make people spend 10,000 crowns. Lets face it, drop rate of mastery amulets is too pathetic for people to actually farm their pendant of choice.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
2080
How has any school lost their Identity and individuality?

Give proof and examples:

Here is my proof that no, not even life has lost their Identity or their Individuality.

Now, life has heals and yes, all of those heals can be gotten as treasure cards. From pixie, fairy, sprite, unicorn, dryad, triage, satyr, regeneration, and rebirth. Yes, rings and athames also increase the healing boosts of the person who wears them. However, at the same token, if anyone else wants to have the critical ability that life has on heals, it has to give up resistance. So, life can critical heal a lot easier than any other school, making them known for what they do best, heal. How have they lost their Identity?

People see what they want to see, but they are blind to the truth because of the perception they have created in their own minds as to what is acceptable and what is crossing the lines.

People say only Fire should ever get a DoT, or that Stuns belong to Ice and Myth, that only myth should be able to get around shields. This list goes on and on, yet, these people fail to realize that these are not what constitutes them as that specific school.

If it was, all fire spells would be a DoT.
All death spells would be drains.
All Myth Spells would be double attacks.

See how boring and dumb that would be?

When people open their eyes and actually look at what makes each school, the power of that school, the health of that school, the defense of that school, the critical chance of that school, the critical block of that school, the spells of that school, everything combined makes that school very Unique and very much an Individual and stand alone school.

Explorer
Dec 29, 2009
87
Again I will say you can wear the mastery amulet and cast whatever class you want but unless you are in crafted gear for two specs you will do no where close to the original class throwing their spells. So again NO other class will do what you can do with your original school unless very well geared so Schools original meaning is not being displaced....... Good grief...

Shiningfantasia wrote:
The biggest thing that made schools lose 'their meaning' was the mastery amulets.

Probably the school hit hardest by that was the Life school. Now anyone can easily cast Pixies and Satyrs at the drop of a dime, assuming they have the mastery amulet.

In my opinion, and there were several debate posts on that subject, the release of mastery amulets was completely unnessecary. It was a simple ploy to make people spend 10,000 crowns. Lets face it, drop rate of mastery amulets is too pathetic for people to actually farm their pendant of choice.

Survivor
May 31, 2011
20
Well, if Mastery Amulets and Treasure cards are the problem, the solution is to stop selling the treasure cards in the Libraries and Bazaar and limit them to "drop only" items. You'll never see the amulets go, because it makes KI money and I, for one, think, that treasure cards are over saturated in the game anyway.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
2080
Heather824 wrote:
Again I will say you can wear the mastery amulet and cast whatever class you want but unless you are in crafted gear for two specs you will do no where close to the original class throwing their spells. So again NO other class will do what you can do with your original school unless very well geared so Schools original meaning is not being displaced....... Good grief...

Shiningfantasia wrote:
The biggest thing that made schools lose 'their meaning' was the mastery amulets.

Probably the school hit hardest by that was the Life school. Now anyone can easily cast Pixies and Satyrs at the drop of a dime, assuming they have the mastery amulet.

In my opinion, and there were several debate posts on that subject, the release of mastery amulets was completely unnessecary. It was a simple ploy to make people spend 10,000 crowns. Lets face it, drop rate of mastery amulets is too pathetic for people to actually farm their pendant of choice.


Wow Heather, for a change, we agree on something. :D

Armiger
May 10, 2010
2080
Lordaria wrote:
Well, if Mastery Amulets and Treasure cards are the problem, the solution is to stop selling the treasure cards in the Libraries and Bazaar and limit them to "drop only" items. You'll never see the amulets go, because it makes KI money and I, for one, think, that treasure cards are over saturated in the game anyway.


Mastery Amulets and Treasure cards are not the problem, the problem is peoples conceptions and beliefs.

Can you state specifically, how any school can do everything and have everything that a character of that school can do and do it just as good if not better? No, you can't. No school can do everything life can, so life has not lost anything, but, because people don't like certain things, they make these bogus rumors and try and start spreading false claims that schools are losing their individuality.

The joke is that people believe this garbage, without any facts.
There are magazines that say that women have had alien babies. It is written on black and white paper. Does that mean this is true? Of course not. Same thing applies here, unless there are facts, figures, and actual proof, it's just not true.

Delver
Jul 21, 2009
224
darthjt wrote:
Lordaria wrote:
Well, if Mastery Amulets and Treasure cards are the problem, the solution is to stop selling the treasure cards in the Libraries and Bazaar and limit them to "drop only" items. You'll never see the amulets go, because it makes KI money and I, for one, think, that treasure cards are over saturated in the game anyway.


Mastery Amulets and Treasure cards are not the problem, the problem is peoples conceptions and beliefs.

Can you state specifically, how any school can do everything and have everything that a character of that school can do and do it just as good if not better? No, you can't. No school can do everything life can, so life has not lost anything, but, because people don't like certain things, they make these bogus rumors and try and start spreading false claims that schools are losing their individuality.

The joke is that people believe this garbage, without any facts.
There are magazines that say that women have had alien babies. It is written on black and white paper. Does that mean this is true? Of course not. Same thing applies here, unless there are facts, figures, and actual proof, it's just not true.


100 percent right and i back this all the way , as i have said before people need to stop playing follow the leader and play the wizard there way not some way someone else tells them too. AGAIN ( Mastery Amulets and Treasure cards are not the problem )

Survivor
May 31, 2011
20
I did not say, that mastery amulets or treasure cards ARE a problem, I said IF they are the problem, then I offered my solution. I for one rarely use treasure cards and will not shell out 10,000 crowns for a mastery amulet. It's true, that you can not and never will deal out the damage from your second or third school, like you can from your focus school, so IMO the amulets are a waste of money. As for the schools losing there meaning, I don't think, it's happening but I have said, that KI is "dipping their toe in the water" with this issue and the mastery amulets are an indication of it IMO. You could also point to Storm's "Healing Current". So, before everyone goes nuts again, these two examples are indicative of KI heading in that direction albeit VERY VERY "cautiously". However, I could be VERY wrong, too. Let's hope, I am wrong.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
2637
Shiningfantasia wrote:
But the fact that anyone cast pick up those cards if they happened to obtain them and fire them off as cheaply as a Life wizard, then what is so special about the Life wizard?


Because a Life Wizard can do more with those same spells than any other class. There is Life Only gear that improves those same life spells well beyond the capabilities of another school, besides the fact the cost remaining the same. If a fire wizard and life wizard are in a race to heal, they will both be able to cast at the same time, but the life wizard will heal for more (so the pip ratio advantage goes to the life wizard).

In other words, if I'm doing Waterworks, I will always pick a life wizard over another wizard with a life mastery amulet. If there are no life wizards, then sure, a fire wizard that can take the healing role will work (sorta like Treant Polymorph).

Remember, even if a school can cast two different school spells, there are only so many rounds and pips in a duel. So a fire wizard casting life spells is not doing as much damage as they could without casting life spells, thereby reducing the overall damage of the group.

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
406
Actually looking back at my post, the title doesn't really fit. it should be about losing their spells not meaning. Sorry for misunderstanding guys.

Survivor
Apr 17, 2010
20
As a life wizard myself I can say that even when another wizard pickes up lifes spells they may or may not have the same effect as if a life wizard had cast the spell. Case in point, take the fairy healing spell a life wizard cast said spell it can do a minimum of 420 healing if not more depending on if a sheild is present and sanctuary has been cast where as if a student from another school may not be able to do as much healing with the same spell. Each student has their strength in there main school, wheather it be life, death, myth, balance, ice, fire, or storm.

Alexandria Dragonhaven
Grandmaster Theurgist

Defender
Jan 25, 2009
173
Astro Storm, the way you wrote your post made it seem like there was a "Learn All Spells For All Schools Day" that I missed. Of course a wizard could cast a little healing magic here and there, and it's always been that way, but don't expect anything too substantial. Also, just because our spells these days can do a lot of damage with enchantments and WW gear does not mean that our spells will ever do as much as storm's. I mean, it's not like we have 7 rebirths in our deck to heal ourselves with, or we have 7 earthquakes to shatter a person's shields/blades/traps.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
712
Trying to explain myself here, along on some 'other' topics, is so taxing, I don't know how else to explain myself than I already did. I agree with the OP, that is all I will say.

I will say this again. This has nothing to do with criticals, blocks, power boost, resist, power pips, and whatever else anyone can think of.

If anyone were to simply think about what the OP was saying, they would understand where he was coming from, whether they agreed or not. I agree with him, and others don't. I'll leave it at that.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
2080
So, what you are trying to say, is:

In PvP and PvE, Life's role is to heal the party. Now, with life mastery amulets and all of life's spells as treasure cards, anyone can play the life role? Is that not what some of you are implying?

First off, especially in PvP.

Critical heals, are they not important?
Resistance, is it not important?
Power Pip Chance, is it not important?
Critical Block, is it not important?

So, tell me, who else can heal, resist, have nearly 100% ppc, and have as high of a critical block and health as a life wizard? No other school.

Sorry, but Life is life, there is no other school like life.

Now, some don't want anyone else to use any of life's heal spells, but, at the same time, there are times when in a party, group, or dungeon, that life wont heal. Hmmm, so, let everyone get defeated, because some want to be greedy and keep all of life heals for life only?

Sorry, but you can't change my mind on this subject.

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
406
Shiningfantasia wrote:
Trying to explain myself here, along on some 'other' topics, is so taxing, I don't know how else to explain myself than I already did. I agree with the OP, that is all I will say.

I will say this again. This has nothing to do with criticals, blocks, power boost, resist, power pips, and whatever else anyone can think of.

If anyone were to simply think about what the OP was saying, they would understand where he was coming from, whether they agreed or not. I agree with him, and others don't. I'll leave it at that.


Thank you for not including any stat factors, this post was all about spells. Seriously is it really ok for a storm to be using rebirth? I bet everyone loves to see that.

Explorer
Dec 29, 2009
87
I'm sorry but if you cant kill storm in one shot with around 2200 to 2500 health then you may need to rethink your strategy. I play storm and balance. In pvp I don't heal or plan to because If I don't kill first I usually die in a one shot. So storm using rebirth is no big deal. I've used it twice and I'm level 70 and have a amulet and it was in pve. Only time is really is useful to storm in my opinion and most of the time we kill before we even need to heal. So if storm is using rebirth in pvp then they probably need to rethink their strategy too... lol

AstroStorm wrote:
Shiningfantasia wrote:
Trying to explain myself here, along on some 'other' topics, is so taxing, I don't know how else to explain myself than I already did. I agree with the OP, that is all I will say.

I will say this again. This has nothing to do with criticals, blocks, power boost, resist, power pips, and whatever else anyone can think of.

If anyone were to simply think about what the OP was saying, they would understand where he was coming from, whether they agreed or not. I agree with him, and others don't. I'll leave it at that.


Thank you for not including any stat factors, this post was all about spells. Seriously is it really ok for a storm to be using rebirth? I bet everyone loves to see that.

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
406
Heather824 wrote:
I'm sorry but if you cant kill storm in one shot with around 2200 to 2500 health then you may need to rethink your strategy. I play storm and balance. In pvp I don't heal or plan to because If I don't kill first I usually die in a one shot. So storm using rebirth is no big deal. I've used it twice and I'm level 70 and have a amulet and it was in pve. Only time is really is useful to storm in my opinion and most of the time we kill before we even need to heal. So if storm is using rebirth in pvp then they probably need to rethink their strategy too... lol

AstroStorm wrote:
Shiningfantasia wrote:
Trying to explain myself here, along on some 'other' topics, is so taxing, I don't know how else to explain myself than I already did. I agree with the OP, that is all I will say.

I will say this again. This has nothing to do with criticals, blocks, power boost, resist, power pips, and whatever else anyone can think of.

If anyone were to simply think about what the OP was saying, they would understand where he was coming from, whether they agreed or not. I agree with him, and others don't. I'll leave it at that.


Thank you for not including any stat factors, this post was all about spells. Seriously is it really ok for a storm to be using rebirth? I bet everyone loves to see that.


Who can't defeat a storm in one shot?

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
387
darthjt wrote:
Shiningfantasia wrote:
OP, I would assume, as well as me, were not talking about being able to match storm's power, or anyone's power.

I am not even sure where the heck people managed to pull that from.

GOOD GRIEF!

Anyway. Life's specialty is Life spells. Sure, there are some life spells right now that only the Life school can naturally cast. But the fact that anyone cast pick up those cards if they happened to obtain them and fire them off as cheaply as a Life wizard, then what is so special about the Life wizard?

And yes, mastery amulets CAUSED this whole ruckus, or the majority of it. Darthjt, you say our perception is the reason why we think this and that about the whole sub-- oh crap, I replied to Darthjt. Better stop it right here while I am ahead.


So, you think anyone can cast life spells as well as life can, just because of a life mastery amulet?

How often does life critical heal? 1/3 or more often? Is a critical heal not double the normal heal?

Now, how often does any other school critical heal? 1/10 if they even have a chance to critical heal.

Sorry, but life can heal better than any other possible school... Where has life lost their identity or what makes them special?
Who cares about critical!, people that have wintertusk rings and athames that make satyr heal 1500! healing boosts matter as well. There is no need for critical as long as you have healing income and outcome.

1