Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Rethinking Upper LvL gear

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 19, 2010
Hi. I have a wizard in all schools of magic but Life. I have noticed that the waterworks gear is thee best upper lvl gear in this game but i have noticed a problem too. The upper lvl gear on this game does not support secondary schools very well. Even though the Mastery Amulets have solved the pip problem, there is a still the matter of not getting a sufficient boost on secondary schools. A prime example is Balance.

In the lower lvl of balance all sorcerers get a quest in which the elemental schools encourage the player to choose Their school over others as a secondary school. With crown gear, that is not so bad, because you are get an even boost (attack, accuracy, resist, etc). Thus, you can get a good deal of accuracy on your Fire attacks, even though you are not a pyromancer (for example).

But this is not truly possible on the upper lvls. The waterworks gear, for example, only boosts the attack for balance. Thus, a Sorcerers fire school spells are very very weak in comparison to what they use to mean to the sorcerer. What is the point of a quest that encourages a sorcerer to get a secondary school, when in fact, it is no longer in his best interest to use it on the upper levels.

Please Help!

I am asking KI to adjust the gear or come up with new gear that is at least as good as waterworks, and that would be compatible regardless of what secondary school that we have chosen.

PvP? Its a waste with the new Resist feature on standard waterworks gear, to attack with a secondary school. Insufficient damage is done. This was not the case with crown gear on the lower lvls.

I dont think we want new crown gear, I think what we want is gear like waterworks that also enables us to use our secondary schools sufficiently.

Thanks!

Defender
Feb 06, 2010
Even if you use spectral blast and hit storm, your balance boost STILL makes it stronger....

And craft lvl 55 gear if you want damage increase for TWO schools.

Ellie Ghostblade - Legendary Sorcerer
Ellie Silverleaf - Legendary Theurgist
Ellie Rosethorn - Legendary Necromancer
Ellie Duskbreeze - Grandmaster Pyromancer

Survivor
Sep 19, 2010
kamarynjelise wrote:
Even if you use spectral blast and hit storm, your balance boost STILL makes it stronger....

I am not talking about that though. i am talking about a sorcerer using a spell from the Diviner's school. He will only get the basic attack. With storm's gear on, he can do roughly twice the damage with Kraken as what the card says. If a sorcerer learns balance, and unleashes a Kraken, he will get Only the damamge that the card says. No boost. I want my sorcerer to have gear "similiar" to the diviner for the same spell that they learn.

And the lvl 55 gear? Its out dated. It has no resist like the lvl 56 gear, and neither are as good as the legendary gear from Waterworks.

What the people want is gear like waterworks, but the advantage of being able to get boosts off of other schools, like the crown gear gives.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
That is true, you make a very good point.

But, I am not sure exactly how inferior/superior crafting equipment is compared to Waterworks equipment, but there is the crafting equipment at Grandmaster level.

Survivor
Sep 19, 2010
Shiningfantasia wrote:
That is true, you make a very good point.

But, I am not sure exactly how inferior/superior crafting equipment is compared to Waterworks equipment, but there is the crafting equipment at Grandmaster level.

Well, here is what i have noticed ...
The waterworks gear has a significantly higher lvl of damage resist, and attack. Also, the waterworks gear gives a nice bit of healing boost. The lvl 55 gear gives no healing boost or resist.

Explorer
Mar 27, 2011
geneva111 wrote:
kamarynjelise wrote:

I am not talking about that though. i am talking about a sorcerer using a spell from the Diviner's school. He will only get the basic attack. With storm's gear on, he can do roughly twice the damage with Kraken as what the card says. If a sorcerer learns balance, and unleashes a Kraken, he will get Only the damamge that the card says. No boost. I want my sorcerer to have gear "similiar" to the diviner for the same spell that they learn.

And the lvl 55 gear? Its out dated. It has no resist like the lvl 56 gear, and neither are as good as the legendary gear from Waterworks.

What the people want is gear like waterworks, but the advantage of being able to get boosts off of other schools, like the crown gear gives.

You are right. And yet, Balance is the worse example: if we had a double boost gear, it would make our elemental hits (blast and hydra) devastating without blades.
This would get people to cry out about the school being overpowered, and such and such.. And for once they would be right.

In my opinion, at lower levels, secondary schools need boosts, to even out the weaker attacks that your main school has.
But when you get to higher levels, your main school become the only thing you need, and the secondary ones are more useful for their side spells (like shields, heals, traps and so on) than they are for their hit spells.

To make an example, i trained life as a secondary to have heals, but since i got helping hands and availing hands, i took all other healing cards out of my deck.
Later i trained ice, but only to use tower shield, really.
As a balance, i don't really need other elemental spells, and if I use quake, it is not for its damage, more for the ability to remove stuff from several foes at once.
The only thing i really miss is a DOT.. but then again, it would be more for shields than damage, so I dont mind to borrow one from another school with no boost.

Explorer
Jan 03, 2011
I agree with Elvinlith. I don't think the concept of secondary school was implemented so we can cause damage with spells from that or those schools. having a high damage boost for 2 or more school makes it pointless to choose a specific class. Secondary schools only help with their accessory spells:, shields, heals, and other such spells. In my opinion, you shouldn't be able to use a spell from a different school to the same level as a wizard from that school. What sense does it make to be able to cause damage even nearly as much damage as a storm? The whole point of going to storm is the damage. having a wizard from balance or any other school hit as much as a storm wizard (or any other scenario) would defeat the purpose of the school system. I think the upper gear level is pretty much fine as it is.

Also the crafted grand gear lacks resistance, healing boost and gives lower damage exactly because you get damage boost and critical rate for another school. you can't possibly expect to be at full potential for 2 schools...

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
nagashiki wrote:
I agree with Elvinlith. I don't think the concept of secondary school was implemented so we can cause damage with spells from that or those schools. having a high damage boost for 2 or more school makes it pointless to choose a specific class. Secondary schools only help with their accessory spells:, shields, heals, and other such spells. In my opinion, you shouldn't be able to use a spell from a different school to the same level as a wizard from that school. What sense does it make to be able to cause damage even nearly as much damage as a storm? The whole point of going to storm is the damage. having a wizard from balance or any other school hit as much as a storm wizard (or any other scenario) would defeat the purpose of the school system. I think the upper gear level is pretty much fine as it is.

Also the crafted grand gear lacks resistance, healing boost and gives lower damage exactly because you get damage boost and critical rate for another school. you can't possibly expect to be at full potential for 2 schools...

Bingo Nagashiki,

This game has always been about tradeoffs when it comes to gear. Even with your own school you could never have the best accuarcy, damage, resistance, healing boost, power pip % or critical all in the same piece of equipment.