Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Reporting-what do it do?

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Jun 10, 2009
I have been wondering, what is the reporting button for? It says it is for people who swear and such, but no one, as far as i know, has ever used it for that reason. On top of this there have been a lot of complaints (reasonable and unreasonable) about reporting. It was meant to be for good intentions, but what purpose does it serve now? If someone could explain the meaning of this button to me, that'd be great.

William Crowthistle, Legendary Pyromancer

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
I use it to report swearing, racial slurs, other derogatory names and harassment. From the FAQ here on what to report-
"We appreciate that our players want to make Wizard City the best it can be, and we've placed the tools in your hand to report players for inappropriate behavior. We ask that you use the reporting feature to identify truly egregious behavior, such as creative profanity (swearing around the filters), solicitation of usernames/passwords, predatory threats, racist comments and other such actions as outlined in the Terms of Use. "

If I clearly know something should not be said out loud on a family friendly game, I report it. If I have a shadow of a doubt I don't. The report button and ignore buttons are my my best friends.

I ignore folks that want a boy, girl or mount.

Megan-formerly Firefan02

Survivor
Jun 01, 2010
Yes I too ignore people who ask for crown gifts or if they want a boy or girl friend on the game. Also anything that you feel is a threat to yourself or a child you have playing the game needs to and most definitely should be reported. I am not to sure if the reports do any good because I have sent a few reports in and continue to see these people in the game and open chat as well. But always good to let the manager staff know what is happening in their game. They cant be everywhere at one time so they have the means to go and see what is up.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
A few examples:

Somebody using profanity with a letter added, removed, or changed, in order to get around the filters. It doesn't have to be in English.

Giving or requesting personal information (name, phone number, city lived in, email address, messenger "chat" name, Facebook/Myspace page, etc.). My understanding is that even giving your age or asking somebody else's age might be considered a violation.

Making racist, sexist, or ethnic comments, whether in general or directed towards somebody.

Making real-life threats (whether or not that person could actually follow up on such threats).

However, it's best to read the terms of use.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Nicitas wrote:
I have been wondering, what is the reporting button for? It says it is for people who swear and such, but no one, as far as i know, has ever used it for that reason. On top of this there have been a lot of complaints (reasonable and unreasonable) about reporting. It was meant to be for good intentions, but what purpose does it serve now? If someone could explain the meaning of this button to me, that'd be great.

William Crowthistle, Legendary Pyromancer

The replies you have already received are correct. You just have to use good judgement when you report someone. If it is for foul language, solicitation of username and password, racial, then by all means report the offender.

The system does work. You may still see someone that has been reported using chat, but that does not mean they have not been warned by KI.

If the user is a minor, KI sends an email to the parent account holder.

Many players have been muted or banned depending on the nature of the report. All Chat logs are logged and KI can go back and look at the issue in question.

You will find most of the problems in the Commons in and around Wizard City. Occasionally you will see it in some of the other areas but I don't think it is as bad.

When you look at the number of realms there are now, it will take KI a little while to get to all the reports.

Just be sure you don't make any false reports. Those that do are subject to being banned as well.