Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Reason to cancel my membership

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 03, 2011
1
I love MMOs, but this game has some features with the potential to ruin ones gaming experience. I just cancelled my membership, after two weeks play. The reason, anyone can jump into anybody's fight. Either if they want to help, or not. They can just walk 10 yards away and kill their own mobs. Being polite and asking whether to join or not is not a solution, since it has no effect on what people do. There's no option for this. Somebody can stalk a person, jump into their fights and go afk. Repeatedly. It freaking happened to me today. Four times in a row was enough to alt-tab --> end process --> open FF and end membership.

Goodbye

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
2640
a8anasios wrote:
I love MMOs, but this game has some features with the potential to ruin ones gaming experience. I just cancelled my membership, after two weeks play. The reason, anyone can jump into anybody's fight. Either if they want to help, or not. They can just walk 10 yards away and kill their own mobs. Being polite and asking whether to join or not is not a solution, since it has no effect on what people do. There's no option for this. Somebody can stalk a person, jump into their fights and go afk. Repeatedly. It freaking happened to me today. Four times in a row was enough to alt-tab --> end process --> open FF and end membership.

Goodbye


Had you stayed with the game I would have suggested you changed realms to escape your stalker.

I would suggest console games. Most have game worlds where there is only one human controlling characters in it. That way you don't have other humans messing up your gaming experience.

Wizard101 is not for everyone, especially since it encourages cooperation, not isolation.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
2080
Goodbye, adios, hasta la vista!

Oh and please do forget to write...

KI has gone to extreme measures by putting in ignore features, allowing many different realms and areas.

It is nobodys fault, but you own. This is a Multiplayer game, it is designed to be played with many people at the same time. If you don't want to, it is up to you to find an empty realm, not KI's.


Survivor
Dec 11, 2008
42
Changing realms would have helped. Wizards who misbehave and ruin ones gaming experience on this game make me so angry. They jump in a fight and let the other wizard do all the work. But! There is hope. This has happened to me more then one occasion. I have a spell called reduce threat. I use it on myself and normally the AI of the game stops the AGGRO on me and hits the other wizard. I then let the wizard die and continue to kill MOB. :-) Although the battle takes forever or the wizard may wake up and start playing either way I teach them to either play or die.

Still though.. Things like this shouldn't happen but it does. Every Wizard chooses their own path. Let's not forget to report these Vicious non-playing or Wrongful playing wizards. I want to be able to cast a dueling circle so that I can battle them. Muahahah!
Jeffery LionCaller Transcended Diviner.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
2634
I also have to agree that the degree of politeness in the game has gone down hill in the past year to the point where others have effected my game more also. It's the one's that sneak up behind me that annoy me the most because they usually wait until your battle is almost done. I pause by fights and if the person says Help I join other wise I keep on my way.

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
158
kingurz wrote:

Wizard101 is not for everyone, especially since it encourages cooperation, not isolation.


Perfectly stated, Kingurz.

Also, I find it hard to believe you would quit the game, simply for the fact that others joined your battles.

From my observations, this game has a hardcore cult fan base. You either love this game or hate it. The fact that you would quit, and go out of your way to make it known on the forums, suggests you weren't that into it in the first place.

Perhaps I'm wrong and you loved this game, and had like 5 wizards - who knows.
If that's so, then it's even more sad that you would leave over something so trivial.

Sorry you're so upset :-(
Good luck in any MMO's you play in the future.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3175
kingurz wrote:
a8anasios wrote:
I love MMOs, but this game has some features with the potential to ruin ones gaming experience. I just cancelled my membership, after two weeks play. The reason, anyone can jump into anybody's fight. Either if they want to help, or not. They can just walk 10 yards away and kill their own mobs. Being polite and asking whether to join or not is not a solution, since it has no effect on what people do. There's no option for this. Somebody can stalk a person, jump into their fights and go afk. Repeatedly. It freaking happened to me today. Four times in a row was enough to alt-tab --> end process --> open FF and end membership.

Goodbye


Had you stayed with the game I would have suggested you changed realms to escape your stalker.

I would suggest console games. Most have game worlds where there is only one human controlling characters in it. That way you don't have other humans messing up your gaming experience.

Wizard101 is not for everyone, especially since it encourages cooperation, not isolation.


Good point. Whenever someone gets spammy/creepy/annoying, I just click that magic button and am rid of him (or her). :-D

I'm a solo player, but I don't mind cooperating with others, if the need arises. The only times I don't like group play are:

1. When it affects my ability to complete an instance.

Helephant Tower was a perfect example of this~ my group left me in the last room and, because of it, I had to abandon the quest. I wouldn't cancel my membership over it, but it was still a HUGE inconvenience.

2. When people beg for stuff.

I am a Balance wizard- that should say it all right there. But, in case an explanation is required, I can't count how many times I've been bombarded with requests to "shield/heal me", or "keep passing and let me kill the monsters, blade me so I can cast Forest Lord/Scarecrow/insert spell here". My answers to these people are usually along the lines of:

i. no.
ii. heck, no.
iii. when Dragonspyre freezes over.
iii. ask me again and I *will* break every, single one of your traps with my justice slash.

-

A couple of days ago, I was killing stuff in Zaf and, with only 300 health left, finally knocked out 2 of the Longdreamer Shamans; no sooner had I gotten my parting shots in, TWO other players joined my fight and dragged in TWO more monsters- I had been wanting so badly to get out of there that I nearly hit the roof. But I had to stick it out- otherwise, I would lose credit for the other kills... I shouted a lot of bad words at my computer, but (since I can't repeat them here) I'll sum it up in just one: AAAAAARRRGH!

Fortunately, one of the players was able to heal me (hey, it's MY battle- you owe me, hahaha), but I totally feel your pain, OP. If only people would just be polite and ask first, it would solve a ton of problems... of course, there would always be those who insist on being rude and abusing the system...

Oh well, that's my 2 cents.

L.S.
Transcended Sorceress

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
2634
tigerswhiteblood wrote:


Still though.. Things like this shouldn't happen but it does. Every Wizard chooses their own path. Let's not forget to report these Vicious non-playing or Wrongful playing wizards. I want to be able to cast a dueling circle so that I can battle them. Muahahah!
Jeffery LionCaller Transcended Diviner.


Being stupid in the game is not a reportable offense in fact do it enough and your account can be in jeopardy.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
705
Dear OP,

Bye-bye and thank you for leaving us to our wonderful game.

We won't miss you in the least.

Regards,

Qbb who knows snark when she delivers it!

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
4952
It is annoying, but there are simple ways to deal with it. First, ignore the person and switch realms. Secondly, if you are unable to do that right away for whatever reason, flee. Leave them there.

And no, none of this activity is reportable. But it is common in online games. Perhaps this just isn't for you, but I'd give these solutions a try before leaving. The game is a blast...don't let a few morons and your lack of understanding how to deal with them (not a dig, I'm assuming you didn't know about ignore and realms) ruin it for you. :-)

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
755
well as i can say anyone who only stays with a game for 2 weeks then cancels a membership isn't a MMO player or they would know the membership is non refundable. and to spent 10 bucks for a month stay isn't gonna be worth canceling they just stay till the time runs out then not renew it.

this person probably hasn't read the book to see how it is played or they would know during the free period the uninvited assistance will happen and there is many realms they can go to.

then to come in to the forum ans blow off simply shows the immaturity of the player.

after all it only a game to play for fun.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2226
vonawesome1 wrote:
Good point. Whenever someone gets spammy/creepy/annoying, I just click that magic button and am rid of him (or her). :-D

I'm a solo player, but I don't mind cooperating with others, if the need arises. The only times I don't like group play are:

1. When it affects my ability to complete an instance.

Helephant Tower was a perfect example of this~ my group left me in the last room and, because of it, I had to abandon the quest. I wouldn't cancel my membership over it, but it was still a HUGE inconvenience.

2. When people beg for stuff.

I am a Balance wizard- that should say it all right there. But, in case an explanation is required, I can't count how many times I've been bombarded with requests to "shield/heal me", or "keep passing and let me kill the monsters, blade me so I can cast Forest Lord/Scarecrow/insert spell here". My answers to these people are usually along the lines of:

i. no.
ii. heck, no.
iii. when Dragonspyre freezes over.
iii. ask me again and I *will* break every, single one of your traps with my justice slash.

-

A couple of days ago, I was killing stuff in Zaf and, with only 300 health left, finally knocked out 2 of the Longdreamer Shamans; no sooner had I gotten my parting shots in, TWO other players joined my fight and dragged in TWO more monsters- I had been wanting so badly to get out of there that I nearly hit the roof. But I had to stick it out- otherwise, I would lose credit for the other kills... I shouted a lot of bad words at my computer, but (since I can't repeat them here) I'll sum it up in just one: AAAAAARRRGH!

Fortunately, one of the players was able to heal me (hey, it's MY battle- you owe me, hahaha), but I totally feel your pain, OP. If only people would just be polite and ask first, it would solve a ton of problems... of course, there would always be those who insist on being rude and abusing the system...

Oh well, that's my 2 cents.

L.S.
Transcended Sorceress


I know the feeling Vonawesome.

The Longdreamer Shaman are a royal pain and it is seriously disheartening when someone jumps in just as you are casting that final blow. And especially when your health is low enough that one hit from them can take you out.

As the old saying goes, "Been there, Done that". The only problem I have, is that I can't yell bad words at my computer. I have a 27 month old that I don't think I want repeating what he hears in that department.

But BACK ON TOPIC: I don't see how only playing 2 weeks is a fair length of time to really assess the game.

a8anasios, the things you are ranting about, we have all dealt with at some point since we have been playing. And as some of the others have already pointed out, there are steps you can take to prevent these thing from being repeated consistently.

I have had players join my battles long enough to get another enemy drawn in and then flee. In fact, it did happen to me 3 times within a couple of hours. Solution: changed realms and continued with my game.


A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
1623
a8anasios wrote:
I love MMOs, but this game has some features with the potential to ruin ones gaming experience. I just cancelled my membership, after two weeks play. The reason, anyone can jump into anybody's fight. Either if they want to help, or not. They can just walk 10 yards away and kill their own mobs. Being polite and asking whether to join or not is not a solution, since it has no effect on what people do. There's no option for this. Somebody can stalk a person, jump into their fights and go afk. Repeatedly. It freaking happened to me today. Four times in a row was enough to alt-tab --> end process --> open FF and end membership.

Goodbye


You didn't "just: cancel your membership or you wouldn't be able to post
And also, you've been playing for 2 weeks? Lol, that's a little too early to even know the game. If you hate when someone joins your battle, get strong, learn to fight, and learn to cooperate with others. This happens in online games, you need to know how to play with others, and how to be respect others.

Now, getting back on topic:
You ended your membership because someone joins your battle? You've only been playing for 2 weeks, so I guess you don't know what a realm is or even know how to access it:
Press esc.
Go to the circle icon with a bunch of gears
There you go, and I doubt you'll read this, or even reply. Well, bye. :-P

Survivor
Mar 13, 2011
4
a8anasios wrote:
I love MMOs, but this game has some features with the potential to ruin ones gaming experience. I just cancelled my membership, after two weeks play. The reason, anyone can jump into anybody's fight. Either if they want to help, or not. They can just walk 10 yards away and kill their own mobs. Being polite and asking whether to join or not is not a solution, since it has no effect on what people do. There's no option for this. Somebody can stalk a person, jump into their fights and go afk. Repeatedly. It freaking happened to me today. Four times in a row was enough to alt-tab --> end process --> open FF and end membership.

Goodbye
well ya know instead of getting mad and stuff. Why don't you make sure you can take the monsters on by yourself. Who cares if the person goes afk you can still kill them. and if you kill them by yourself you get more loot since the other player didn't do anything.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
712
I actually really like the fact that you can join in any fight, and with any person.

What I don't like is when the person ends up being a condescending snob who gets ticked and ends up taking it out on me because I entered the fight.

If a person is not prepared on taking on more than one or two mobs, then that person is not fit to survive in the current area, in my opinion. If me entering someone's fight causes the other person to be hurt even more, then of course, if it is within my power to do so, I will heal.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
2640
brwac wrote:
tigerswhiteblood wrote:


Still though.. Things like this shouldn't happen but it does. Every Wizard chooses their own path. Let's not forget to report these Vicious non-playing or Wrongful playing wizards. I want to be able to cast a dueling circle so that I can battle them. Muahahah!
Jeffery LionCaller Transcended Diviner.


Being stupid in the game is not a reportable offense in fact do it enough and your account can be in jeopardy.


False reporting or being stupid?

Nevermind, both can put your account in jeopardy.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
2640
joujou11cool wrote:
a8anasios wrote:
I love MMOs, but this game has some features with the potential to ruin ones gaming experience. I just cancelled my membership, after two weeks play. The reason, anyone can jump into anybody's fight. Either if they want to help, or not. They can just walk 10 yards away and kill their own mobs. Being polite and asking whether to join or not is not a solution, since it has no effect on what people do. There's no option for this. Somebody can stalk a person, jump into their fights and go afk. Repeatedly. It freaking happened to me today. Four times in a row was enough to alt-tab --> end process --> open FF and end membership.

Goodbye


You didn't "just: cancel your membership or you wouldn't be able to post


Technically, if you cancel membership you can still access all the worlds and forums until your membership actually expires.

So if your a monthly subscriber and quit two weeks in, you can still play and access write on the forums like a member for an additional two weeks.

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
563