Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

question because i think i misunderstand

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jan 25, 2012
I've been being begged for gifts a lot of recently and refusing. by gifting, there referring to items obtained using crowns i bought with real money right? if not I've been awfully rude to quite a few people. if so though, then quite a few people have been awfully rude to me. haven't there parents taught them manners? i work very hard for real money, and i for one will not just give it away to someone i do not know. who's with me?

Mastermind
Aug 10, 2011
Uh, ok. I didn't really understand you there, luckily, i made some Words out. You don't really need to be rude to them about Gifts. The Ignore Button is there for a reason. If they start breaking the rules, Report if neccasary.

Also, it is a option to Gift one, not a must. So this Thread (Or whatever you call it) really wasn't neccasary.

Mastermind
Aug 10, 2011
Also, i don't see a valid Question in here, what is it?

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
I think the OP is asking about the problem of begging and how to handle it appropriately.

If this is the case, here's my advice:

> Be polite and brief in your refusal to gift.
> If a wizard becomes abusive at that point, ignore or report him/her and change realms.
> If the beggar is on your friend list, delete him/her.

You are not obligated to gift, nor should you feel the need to explain why you won't or can't gift. You are also not required to tolerate rude and immature behavior when you refuse.

Parents may not always teach manners but, in-game, we have a chance to do so. Take it as an opportunity to help a kid learn a valuable life lesson.

Warmest Regards,

Qbb

Survivor
Feb 12, 2012
Randomperson16 wrote:

The question is about exactly what people are referring to when they ask someone to "gift" them. He only meant that he was being rude in the sense of saying no to something that may have been just a simple in game request.

The answer is simple. Gifting is using your crowns to purchase something in the Crown Shop. You use the gift button to send the item you are gonna buy with crowns to someone else.

So, no, you were not being rude when declining to gift anyone. There are a few beggars out there that sit around looking for gullible people to scam free stuff from. Continue to refuse, and if they persist, then put them on ignore.

Explorer
Jun 09, 2010
Yes, they are wanting crown items. Usually the latest hoard pack or a mount or whatever. There is no reason to be rude, just say no. If they continue to bug you put them on ignore.

Just FYI because I know some people may not realize it, you cannot give items bought with gold.

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
In my opinion, you aren't being rude by refusing to gift these people. They are the ones being rude by expecting virtual strangers to give them something for nothing. Something that costs you real money. Not them.
My typical response to them is that I don't gift. Period. If they persist, I tell them I don't gift my son or my sister and I won't gift them. No reason to have to further explain your reasons for not gifting.

Defender
Jan 25, 2012
Taercenn wrote:
Randomperson16 wrote:

The question is about exactly what people are referring to when they ask someone to "gift" them. He only meant that he was being rude in the sense of saying no to something that may have been just a simple in game request.

The answer is simple. Gifting is using your crowns to purchase something in the Crown Shop. You use the gift button to send the item you are gonna buy with crowns to someone else.

So, no, you were not being rude when declining to gift anyone. There are a few beggars out there that sit around looking for gullible people to scam free stuff from. Continue to refuse, and if they persist, then put them on ignore.

thank you very much. this helped quite a bit. i thought maybe by gift,there may have been a free gift section i wasn't aware of like some games have. I've started growing impatient with people, and threatening or sometimes even going through with un-friending as cause of it and i wanted to clarify what they were actually asking for. so thank you.

Mastermind
Aug 10, 2011
Taercenn wrote:
Randomperson16 wrote:

Thank you too, i didn't quite know what the OP was referring too.

Defender
May 17, 2011
darkcloyd wrote:
I've been being begged for gifts a lot of recently and refusing. by gifting, there referring to items obtained using crowns i bought with real money right? if not I've been awfully rude to quite a few people. if so though, then quite a few people have been awfully rude to me. haven't there parents taught them manners? i work very hard for real money, and i for one will not just give it away to someone i do not know. who's with me?

i think that this might be the solution: yes, you pay for gifts using crowns, which are bought using real life money ($). so it is fine to refuse. The only person who I will ever gift is my wizard101 friend who I go to school irl with. Don't gift people that you barley know! that's like using money for firewood!

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
darkcloyd wrote:

Darkcloyd,

I can understand completely where you are coming from, I really don't like it either.
I don't gift, why, becasue they really don't need it to play the game.
Plus I don't have much in crowns to give away, and wouldn't do that anyway.
I'm not rude to them, but considering some other things that go on, this is not the wrost thing. Plus as you said, they aren't friends, so why would anyone gift them anyway.

Joe.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
When people ask me to gift them, I say, "Sure"

Then I usually get the reply, "Really?" or "Great, thank you"

Then I say, as soon as you give me a million dollars, I will gift you anything you want.

Some get the hint from this point.

Some however, don't and I get to continue to my sharade. I just make a game of it.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
I have found that the best way to avoid most of the games unpleasantness is to just avoid the Commons. It seems to be where the ones who really don't actually play the game but want the stuff it offers are. I did have a few lines like, I have no Crowns, Gifting is turned off and Gee I was going to ask you the same thing but that sometimes just leads to more conversation with the beggar. Just avoiding the Commons is easier.

I used to go there to kick back after a long day of fighting and listen to general conversation which now is mostly fighting and getting to see the new stuff out, it isn't worth it any more, I now kick back by signing off the game.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
The solution is simple: reply with, "Sorry, no crowns."
They go away pretty quickly.

There's no cause to be rude. It's just kids being kids.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
I've been begged for gifts before, and 'no crowns' is usually a sufficient answer; that said, I've read stories by other wizards on this board, in which the beggar becomes abusive... if this happens to you, report and change realms.

To disable gifting: go to My Accounts and scroll down to Account Management, then click Disable beside the Gifting option. My gift-button is off, and it will stay that way.

Whether you're 8 or 80, asking a complete stranger to spend real money on you is above and beyond rude. Too often, we write off this behaviour and coddle them because we assume that "they're just children", but even kids need to learn that they can't always get what they want.