Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PvE combat/fizzle rates?

AuthorMessage
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
So, my baby pyromancer and I are in Golem Tower, and we have a question: the first few NPCs in there are Balance creatures. So why...

a] are their Fire spells stronger than mine, and
b] do their Fire spells fizzle less frequently?

I just died on the second floor, because I couldn't get a shot off- for every hit I manage to land, there are at least 4 fizzles before anything connects. I'm aware of the Fire school's horrible accuracy/high fizzle-rates (only Storm's is lower), but there's got to be something I can do to fix this, right (aside from gear boosts, since I'm not a high-enough level to benefit from them)?

Thanks!

El Veeb/Shadowsong/Angela

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
vonawesome1 wrote:
So, my baby pyromancer and I are in Golem Tower, and we have a question: the first few NPCs in there are Balance creatures. So why...

a] are their Fire spells stronger than mine, and
b] do their Fire spells fizzle less frequently?

I just died on the second floor, because I couldn't get a shot off- for every hit I manage to land, there are at least 4 fizzles before anything connects. I'm aware of the Fire school's horrible accuracy/high fizzle-rates (only Storm's is lower), but there's got to be something I can do to fix this, right (aside from gear boosts, since I'm not a high-enough level to benefit from them)?

Thanks!

El Veeb/Shadowsong/Angela

Golem Tower can be a tough nut to crack, I usually do the first two quests in it when given and then return just before leaving Wizard City to do all the floors, although it can be done at a lower level it is some work to accomplish, it takes planning and fizzling can make or break it.

Survivor
Feb 01, 2011
Have you got a potion bottle yet? If so, use it halfway through or so. If not, don't worry, I died the first few times on the first few levels. You should a) summon a minion, b) use a pixie frequently, and c) (optional/difficult) have a friend teleport to you.

If you haven't noticed yet, the percent that your spell will not fizzle is the little (90%) in the bottom left-hand corner of the spell PICTURE. The higher the chance that your spell will not fizzle. Yes, fizzling is annoying and a waste of time and the spell card, but it makes the game a little harder.

See you in the Spiral!
Cheyenne GriffinCaller Lvl. 40 Myth

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
imahuman1 wrote:
Have you got a potion bottle yet? If so, use it halfway through or so. If not, don't worry, I died the first few times on the first few levels. You should a) summon a minion, b) use a pixie frequently, and c) (optional/difficult) have a friend teleport to you.

If you haven't noticed yet, the percent that your spell will not fizzle is the little (90%) in the bottom left-hand corner of the spell PICTURE. The higher the chance that your spell will not fizzle. Yes, fizzling is annoying and a waste of time and the spell card, but it makes the game a little harder.

See you in the Spiral!
Cheyenne GriffinCaller Lvl. 40 Myth

Yep, and that's what I did with the bottle. ;)

I know where the number is, since I've already been through this with 5 other wizards (out of 24, one of whom is level 70), but am not familiar with the school. My main issue is that the enemy is Balance and I'm a pyromancer- shouldn't my Fire spells be stronger/less likely to fizzle than theirs?

Example: their Fire Cats hit for 120, mine hit for 90 max... but it's my school's spell, not theirs. Does that seem odd to anyone else?

-

Only problem with your suggestion:

1. Fire doesn't have minions (yet);

2. I can only have 3 pixies at most in my current deck, and my health isn't much more than that (it's around 650);

3. I'm in a different time-zone, 4 hours ahead of my friends; that means that, when they log on after supper, I'm logging off to go to bed.

I finished the instance eventually, but I had to bring a Life henchman in for backup, just to keep me alive long enough to reach the top floor. That tower is way too hard for a low-level wizard (except Life and Storm), IMO.

Thanks for the suggestions, though. ;)

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Here's what I did to finish at level 4 I think:
Pack 3 Ghost Touch's for the regular golems.
Then pack 4 Ghoul's for the stronger golems.
Then, use a potion.
Then, use a Ghoul treasure card on boss and minion.

The easiest thing ever! :D